Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Emlyn

Emlyn lent the fat man an arm and pulled him to his feet. "Well fought, Fat Bob. Watch my legs, though, not my arms. The arms will lie. The legs will not," he growled, "Now who is next?" An eager lad strode forward, holding a practice blade at the ready. Emlyn looked at him, his expression hidden behind the mask. "Tarn. Fight well." The boy nodded, then charged forward with his blade raised over his head. Emlyn slid to the side, his practice blade slamming into the youth's gut. Tarn fell to the ground like a puppet with it's strings cut. The boy had spirit, though, and he soon struggled to his feet. His second charge was less steady and led to another collapse. By the third, the recruits in the circle were murmuring appreciation of his spirit. Tarn tried to struggle to his feet, but Emlyn poked at his throat with the blade. "You have spirit, Tarn. None will challenge that. Keep working at your fundamentals." Shame-faced, Tarn backed out of the circle. He was well-liked among the recruits. He wasn't strong, he had poor instincts for fighting, and he had no talent for gambling. He was the first to volunteer and the last to complain. Once an urchin from the markets, now trying to make an honest living in the guard.

Emlyn waved the next man in. Kase. His armor was polished to a dull sheen, not a speck of dust to be seen. It was truly impressive in the midst of the desert. Emlyn had heard he was a low-born noble before the fall. A third or fourth son, something to that effect. His training wasn't in a school of combat that Emlyn was familiar with. It was ritualized. Formalized, even. A relic of a bygone time. Emlyn knelt down, then threw a handful of sand in Kase's face. It was a simple matter to take him down after. Emlyn shook his head, then motioned one of the other recruits to drag him from the circle. "Remember, Kase, we are not fighting for honor. We are fighting for our lives and our home."

There was a lull, then, before the final challenger stepped forward. Ava. She was the leader of the guard before Emlyn had taken over. Her fighting skills were excellent, but her leadership skills were lacking. There were no complaints when she had been replaced. Emlyn's masked gaze settled on her, "Ava. I trust you will hold nothing back? I will not." Before she could respond, Emlyn's blade rested at her throat. "Your move, Ava. I have beaten you before in this circle, would you make it a second time?"

quote:

Fly At Ava (to submit to Emlyn's leadership): 2d6+2 8

Marking XP for rolling a tagged stat.

Sword Master posted:

Name: Emlyn, Sole Survivor of the 5th Imperial Legion
Look: Concealed, light skin, well-kept armor, bony face, raging eyes, stringy body

Stats
Cool +1
Hard +2
Hot -2
Sharp +2
Weird -1
(Verief chooses the second tag)

XP: 1/5

Moves
Battle-hardened
When you go into danger, roll+hard instead of roll+cool. When you make a battle move that calls for you to roll+cool, you can roll+hard instead.

Knight-killer
In battle, you count as a mounted warrior even on foot (+1 harm, +1 armor against non-mounted enemies; mounted enemies get no advantage against you).

Equipment

A Blood-stained Partisan (deadly: on the field & vs mounted)
A Jagged Katzbalger (deadly: hand-to-hand & infighting)
Shortbow & Arrows (at range, deadly: aimed)
Sharpened Knuckles (deadly: brawling)
Breastplate, helmet, boots (2 armor)
Coin or goods worth 2 keep
Traveler's cloak

Goals

Avenge the 5th Legion.

History
  • Which one of you once left me bleeding, and did nothing for me? Urxar: -2 Hx
  • Which one of you has fought shoulder to shoulder with me? Aine: +2 Hx
  • Which one of you is the prettiest and/or the smartest? Verief: +3 Hx
  • Everyone else? Tal: -1 Hx

Tricky fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jul 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Emlyn
4-harm (KK) | 3-armor (KK) | 1-keep | XP XX○○○»

Just realized I edited this post instead of adding a reply. :v:

Summary of lost post posted:

Emlyn fights the mob, wins, is awesome.

Tricky fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Aug 7, 2016

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Emlyn

Emlyn slapped Tarn and Fat Bob on their backs, "It seems Ava has other plans. She fought well, it would be a shame if she missed out on a well-deserved celebration." He passed the two a small handful of coins. "As I said, the first round is on me -- though I think you two may have to buy it instead of me. I'll be there as soon as I can drag Ava back."

He raised a fist in silent salute to the recruits filing out of the training grounds, then secured his short blade and sharpened knuckles. If he suspected right, Ava would not stop with words this time. If not, he was merely equipped to make rounds -- hardly surprising for him. It would not do to have her distracting the men and twisting his words when the time came for the guard to march into battle. She needed to submit, perish, or flee the hold entirely. He set off after her with a grim determination to his step.

Tricky fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Aug 8, 2016

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Emlyn

Emlyn looked darkly at the building in front of him. A den of thugs, no doubt, but it posed no barrier to his determination. Ava must be removed. There was no other option. He walked forward and threw the door open. His eyes cast left and right, quickly taking stock of the situation inside.

quote:

RoboNitoriBOT - Today at 8:27 AM
@Emlyn, Sword Master you rolled 6, 3+2 for a total of

What is my enemy's true position?
What should I be on the lookout for?
Who is in control here?

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Emlyn

Emlyn looked between the two paths available. Ava hardly seemed the type to sell herself for coin, yet also didn't seem the type to avail herself of paid flesh. That left the barred door. A password would be required, no doubt, most likely to keep those like him out. Perhaps a weakness for coin would present a path forward. Or fear. Fear might open a door.

He strode over to the barred door and rapped on it twice.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Emlyn

Emlyn tapped his coin purse, causing the bits inside to jingle slightly. "I seek Ava."

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Emlyn
4-harm (KK) | 3-armor (KK) | 0-keep | XP XX○○○»

Emlyn nodded to the man and then walked through the area surrounding the fighting pit. He noticed a few stares on the way, but nothing worth noting. Rabble, the lot. Finally, his eyes rest on the bar in the back. There she was. His instincts cried out to just bare steel and cut everyone in his way to ribbons, but he forced it back down. This was not the legion. These were not the endless wars. He was in a position of some authority here. It would not do to be so cavalier as a representative of Verief.

He moved quietly and slipped into the seat beside her. "Ava. We both know that this must end. You cannot defeat me and I cannot trust you as a member of the guard. I give you the chance to end this without blood being shed."

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Emlyn
4-harm (KK) | 3-armor (KK) | 0-keep | XP ●●○○○»

Emlyn stares levelly at Ava, a cold smile beginning to creep onto his face. "Yes, the legion knew defeat in the North. Even the best must eat. When the Imperator cut off our supply lines, we starved like any would. But why did I come here? Vengeance. I apologize if I've ruined your cozy little club. I apologize if you want to be little more than the bandit rabble that surrounds the hold."

He leaned forward, smiling with disdain, "With that said, make no mistake. I fear you not, Ava. I only fear that killing you would shame my blade. Leave this place. Perhaps one of those bandit tribes will be more to your liking."

quote:

RoboNitoriBOT - Today at 6:41 PM
@Emlyn, Sword Master you rolled 5, 2+2 for a total of

What does Ava intend to do?

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Emlyn
4-harm (KK) | 3-armor (KK) | 0-keep | XP ●●●○○»

Emlyn's blade dragged free of its sheathe with a quiet rasp. Hardly worth more than scrap after all it had endured, but a momento of battles prior. The idea of leaving it with this filth was unthinkable. He shook his head, "Ava. The only way you'll get this sword is through the gut. Perhaps your friends will drag me down. Perhaps you will even survive. I wouldn't bet on the latter."

Emlyn spun and struck at a man who had crept too close. Blood splashed through the air as he stumbled back. He pointed his blade at the crowd, "Come then, face death." With that, he charged into the fray.

quote:

RoboNitoriBOT - Today at 9:53 PM
@Emlyn, Sword Master you rolled 6, 5+2 for a total of

I deal terrible harm (5-harm) and suffer little harm (4-armor), +XP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Emlyn
4-harm (KK) | 3-armor (KK) | 0-keep | XP ●●●●○»

Emlyn's blade dripped blood as he eyed the crowd. The odds were against him, though none had the mettle to fight yet. Perhaps a change in venue was in order. He called out to the leader of this mob, "Much the same as you, I'd imagine, given it is my duty and obligation. Yet, I do feel we are in much the same position. Your friend, such as she is, seeks to undermine my command. Your band seek to end the life of a member of the Oasis Guard. Your doorman? Well, I'd have to leave that for you to settle out."

Emlyn raised his sword and charged towards the exit. The crowd had been averse to combat so far. Perhaps he could use that hesitation to win free and claim a bottleneck. Were it to come to that, they would have to bury him in bodies. Rabble like these, though perhaps a mercenary band from their armaments, sought truth in coin. It cannot be spent by the dead. They would break before he would.

quote:

Assaulting A Position (the exit)

RoboNitoriBOT - Today at 5:34 PM
@Emlyn, Sword Master you rolled 6, 5+2 for a total of

Suffer little harm (4-armor), force my way to the door, and force my enemy to withdraw. +XP.

• Locked thread