Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Urxar
0 Harm | 2 armor | 1 keep | XP ○○○○○»

I sip from my glass the strange water, allowing it to burn on my tongue before replying to Rolan.

"Our brothers are free to leave whenever they desire, whether it be for family or fortune - hell, Matilk is a sand-licking chieftain now. That's a different sort of chain, I suppose... but a brother is free to make his own life. Those that stay and those that join us, perhaps they haven't found such a path yet, but they've recognized their purpose here until then: Our unfreed brothers and sisters wait for us still. As long as the markets of Raanfet still peddle their bound wares, all men may find a purpose with us.

"But I'm not a priest, Rolan." I place my hand on his shoulder, "You know this. I won't present my path as the path, and as long as our brothers don't fall to the greed that turned Zaymr (that dung) against the brotherhood and our cause, I won't fault them their choices."

I take another sip and settle back, returning my attention to the figures robed in white at the far end of the room. The way they keep looking our way... do I know these strangers?

What is your intent? I wonder.

quote:

Read a Person: @Urxar, The Wolfshead you rolled 5, 2 for a total of 7.
"What does your character intend to do?"
XP+1 (highlighted stat: Sharp)

The Wolfshead posted:

Name:
Urxar, leader of the Chained Brothers

Look:
A light-skinned man of middle age, he watches the world through weary eyes set in a weathered face. He eschews the gaudy fashion of pomp and chivalry and instead fits his sturdy body with functional clothing intended for light travel and effective combat.

Stats:
Cool +2
Hard +2
Hot -1
Sharp =0
Weird -1

Moves:
Bloody-crowned
When you try to impose your will upon your war-band, roll+hard. On a 10+, all 3. On a 7–9, choose 1:
  • They do what you order (otherwise, they refuse).
  • They don’t fight back over it (otherwise, they do fight back).
  • You don’t have to make an example of one of them (otherwise, you must).

Foragers and thieves
when you have your war-band search their pockets and saddlebags for something, roll+hard. It has to be something small enough to be carried. On a 10+, one of you has just the thing. On a 7–9, one of you happens to have something similar, that will perhaps serve. On a miss, one of you used to have just the thing, but come to discover that now it’s missing, likely stolen in turn.

All Basic

All Battle

Goals:
Freedom beneath the sun for myself and my brothers, including those I've not yet met.

Mount: Sunstrider
A powerful and well-groomed camel (fast=0, strong+2, hungry=0, stubborn)

War-Band: "The Chained Brothers"
Small gang of about 15 savage well-disciplined men, mobile, 2 harm, 1 armor
Has powerful enemies (vulnerable: reprisals)
Current Members:
  • Rolan: My second-in-command of sorts. A tribal envoy before being enslaved in the mines beside me, he has a keen mind for social situations and negotiations. I confide in this brother when I need guidance, and his friendship is priceless to me.
  • Elond: One of the newer brothers. Youthful and rambunctious, he is always quick with a laugh (whether at his expense, or someone else's), and his company has brought some renewed cheer to our brotherhood as of late.
Past Members:
  • Zaymr: This fool sought riches over the freedom of his people and betrayed us. His scheme failed when we defeated the slaver ambush he lead us into, and he was fed to the mountains by the brotherhood.

Equipment:
Leather coat, helmet, boots (2 armor)
Lance (deadly: mounted)
Sword (deadly: hand-to-hand & on the field)
Fighting knife (deadly: brawling)
Coin or goods worth 2 keep
Loose cotton robe
Light head scarf
Pocketed leather harness
Iron shackle [right ankle]

History:
  • Which one of you believes that you could outfight me, if it came to it? Emlyn (Hx+2)
  • Which one of you once stood up to me, war-band and all? Verief (Hx+3)
  • All others (Hx-1)

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Aug 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Urxar
0 Harm | 2 armor | 1 keep | XP ●○○○○»

I look down into my cup and see that there is no more water to sip, and the tavern keeper is currently being talked up by some of the younger brothers across the room. I guess there's no more delaying this.

"Truth be told, brother, I've been thinking about this for a while," I sigh as I look up at Rolan. "There's not too many of our original brothers with us anymore. And it's not that the newer brothers don't believe in the chainbreakings, but you are right; they do have other interests in their life." I nod my head over to the boys chatting on the far side of the tavern. "I'll admit, the thought of Raanfet, with caravans of slaves swarming in and out like some great carrion full of ants... perhaps I've refused my own desires out of guilt. How can I simply settle down and have a family when some of my own chained kin are still dragged across the sands?

"Perhaps it doesn't need to be one or the other though. As you said, perhaps a base. Stability. A blown seed lays no roots, a planted seed bears fruit," I spread my fingers into the air. "If it is the wandering that wears on our efforts, maybe we can find a place of our own - stop wandering from settlement to settlement looking for meager supplies and hospitality, and have a place to go home to. And a place to grow from."

I look once more at the younger brothers as the tavern keeper lets out a laugh and walks away, shaking her head. The boys all let out howls of amusement.

"I'll keep this talk in mind, Rolan," I say, meeting his eyes. "Your insight and guidance are always appreciated, and in this matter it is no different."

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Aug 29, 2016

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Urxar

Rolan's counsel is still fresh in my mind when I see the smirk twitch across Elond's face at the mention of each brother finding a "bunk."

"Rolan and I should check the market district today, to see if there are any new merchants that might provide us with helpful news from the outside world." With that I rise and gather myself.

"As for you and the rest of your brothers," I nod my head to the group still laughing and waving after the tavern keeper, "Let your day be untrammeled."

Elond's smirk settles wide on his face as he nods deeply and returns to his seat, and I hear Rolan give a slight chuckle as we turn to the door. Stepping out into the street, we begin making our way towards the market district.

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Aug 8, 2016

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Urxar

Although I can feel Roland trying to subtly herd me away from the tent, the stars and unfamiliar symbols have caught my attention.

"Let us see who that is set up there," I say, pointing to the tent. "It looks as though it could belong to a traveler from far off. Perhaps they might have the news for us that these local merchants have been lacking."

I move to make our way to the tent and pull aside the entrance to look inside. Roland's hesitation is obvious, and I would be foolish to not proceed with some caution...

quote:

Read a Situation: @Urxar, The Wolfshead you rolled 3, 1 for a total of 4.
"What should I be on the lookout for?"
XP+1 (highlighted stat: Sharp)

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Aug 29, 2016

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Urxar
0 Harm | 2 armor | 0 keep | XP ●●○○○»

I can feel Roland's unease behind me, but something about this strange woman has my attention.

"Unchained you say. Then you know who I am," I begin as I lean forward.

"And you know what I seek."

These exotic trappings and the unfamiliar writing, certainly she is not from here. I don't believe in such mysticism as reading cards, but perhaps she has useful knowledge of the world outside these walls.

"I could have taken my gems to the merchants out there," I point over my shoulder, "but as late, they've lacked any information useful to my purpose. I don't seek false words of riches or fame from you, I only seek any knowledge you have of how I might help my brothers and sisters still bound in slavery. Not 'Wealth.' Not 'Love.'"

"Speak to me words of Freedom."

quote:

@Urxar, The Wolfshead you rolled 6, 1-1 for a total of 6.
"Speak to me words of Freedom."

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Urxar

I spin toward the tent's entrance, where Roland stayed behind when we entered. "Brother, your insight, please! Do you think her words true? Might slavers be planning to raid the Oasis?"

Thoughts of the enemies our brotherhood has accrued over the years run through my mind. We are certainly not without our enemies, yet slavers typically only strike the smaller camps and villages. To come after a stronghold such as here...

I return my thoughts to the present. "If she speaks the truth, we need to alert Verief and her guards." Looking back at the woman sprawled over the table, she appears merely unconscious, yet I don't feel comfortable leaving her unattended. If there truly are slavers with their eyes on the Oasis, her words need to be heard - and she needs to explain them. I don't feel comfortable leaving her here now. What if she awakes and leaves before she can explain herself? What if someone takes her?

Moving next to Roland, I fling back the entrance flap of the tent and yell for the market's guards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Urxar

While I am hesitant to simply leave this woman - fraud or not - unconscious and alone, the voices of the unruly crowd entering the tent over Roland's shoulder convince me that we must move before being caught in an undesirable commotion.

"We will go to Verief," I decide. "Regardless of whether this warning is true or not, at the very least we can inform her of the information as rumors in the marketplace."

Ducking out of the tent, I make sure to close the entry flap fully, hoping that with the nearby commotion, no one will think to poke their head in an out-of-the-way tent. Moving away from the commotion in the courtyard, we begin to make our way towards Verief's audience room, hoping to catch her ear.

• Locked thread