Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis
Tal

"And as we go on our daily tasks, remember: Make sure that nobody pays back wrong for wrong, but always strive to do what is good for each other and for everyone else. While those who follow the light might see us as the enemy, we should not then look upon them as our enemy. They are our friends, neighbors and even our family. " Tal then performed a ritual to help soothe the fears and worries of those who were assembled. While they referred to themselves as a congregation, he didn't like to think of them like that. The idea that he was some kind of a leader felt wrong to him. They thought of themselves as sheep and he the shepherd. And the people were probably right, even if he didn't like the position they gave him. At first he tried to discourage the idea, but they held to the idea and he reluctantly accepted the role.

Tal saw them off and noticed that Gav lingered while the others left. After seeing the congregation off, he motioned towards Gav to follow him. He walked to his cooking fire and sat down on the rough chair he had cobbled together.

"Take a seat and talk to me." Gav was the first to come and he had been the strongest voice in regards to positioning Tal as a religious leader. That was Gav's way. He had strong views about how things should be. While Gav was a good man, he had little patience. Instead of being patient and waiting for changes to happen, Gav wanted to force the changes to occur. He lost an eye because of his impetuousness, and yet he had not learned to be patient. Tal worried about the man and what he might do.

Tal took the stone and studied it. He then looked at Gav.

"So you think you heard them, did you? They told you what you wanted to hear, perhaps? I wonder. It seems odd that the chained ones would happen to need a stone that belonged to the same woman that wounded you. Do you think the chained ones feel the need to punish Verief by the removal of her possessions? But no, they wanted an eye to see. An eye that happens to be a jewel of some worth. Hmm, I find this odd. You know the stones and the altar at the center. Would you say they have worth? Not spiritual worth, but monetary worth? Why would the chained ones ask me to find a circle of stones which have little value and an altar that is made of common stone, but then ask you to bring an expensive stone to me? What do you think?"

Tal - Mystic

Look: Concealed, light skin, practical clothing, plain face, appraising eyes, strange body

Stats
Cool: +0
Hard: -1
Hot: -1
Sharp: +2
Weird: +3

Moves

Unsettling Insights: You get +1 Weird (to Weird +3)

The World's fraying edge: Some component of your ceremonial space, or some arrangement of its components, is uniquely receptive to the world's psychic maelstrom (add augury). Choose and name it.

Equipment

* Clothes suitable to his look (layers of ragged, old clothing that cover most of his body except for his eyes)
* Staff (+1 to roll)

Ceremonial Space (choose 4)

* Standing Stones
* A labyrinth
* A bloody altar, abnegated by sigils
* A shrine to one of the chained gods

History

Emlyn: -1

Aine: +2

Urxar: -1

Verief+1

Goals

He has seen visions of death and destruction. Just as the golden age died, so too will this age. There is only the question of when it will happen. Ages come and ages go. It's a wheel that never stops moving. Everything that has happened will happen again. At least that's the conventional wisdom. While most of Tal's visions consist of destruction, he had one vision that showed him a different outcome. He saw a world that can break the wheel and not be chained to its history. A new order could come about. And he could be the instrument that causes this change to happen. However, there are forces opposed to this. The forces are alert to anyone trying to change the natural pattern of the world. They go after anyone who makes it their goal to break the cycle. If Tal wants to bring his vision to fruition, then he shall have to proceed carefully. He needs to avoid any action that would is directly tied to breaking the cycle. Instead he needs to cloak his actions with mystery and avoid acting openly.

DocBubonic fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jul 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tal

"I do believe you heard something." Tal doesn't try to make eye contact with the man, but neither does he offer any consolation. "I also believe that you have no intention of selling it. You did what you felt was right without any malice. If you brought me a stone that you had found on the ground, then I would think it was strong indication that it was the intention of the chained ones speaking to you. But to take something valuable from an enemy? This makes the matter murky, like a disturbed puddle of water. Hmm, I can not discern if your actions are pure or if they were influenced by some hidden impulse that came out when you heard the voices. Very difficult. I may need to meditate on this myself." Tal looked at the stone again. It was possible that what Gav said was true and the coincidence of stealing from an enemy was just that, but Tal couldn't feel confident about that just yet.

"For now I shall keep the stone. I shall see what the spirits have to say to me. As for you, I want you to keep listening to the voices your hear. And tell me what they tell you to do. There is the dread chance that something unwholesome is masquerading as the voice of one of the chained ones. And if it is, then it might seek to bring you misery. So next time, if you hear voices tell you to do something, consult with me first."

DocBubonic fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jul 28, 2016

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tal, the Mystic
0 Harm | 0 armor | 1 keep | XP *

After they were done talking, Tal walked Gav to the edge of his area. When Tal first arrived, he spent time removing old tree limbs and rocks to the edge of his area. As he continued pile up rocks and tree limbs, it formed a small wall around where Tal's home, garden, and the standing stones. The barrier only stood about two feet tall, but it was enough to show where Tal's homestead stood. Tal saw Gav off. He then turned and walked to the circle of stones.

The standing stones were larger than a man and twice as wide. It seemed that some unknown force gathered and placed the stones into a circle. He walked to the edge of the stone circle, just inside of two standing stones was the entrance to the labyrinth carved into the ground. The path which comprised the labyrinth went in a circle pattern. And every time the path would cross itself, it bent inwards and continued to go in a circle. It continued this pattern and the path created smaller circles as it curved in on itself. And when the path came to the center of the circle, it opened up to the area containing the altar.

Tal began to walk the circle. He moved slowly watching his steps and making sure he kept on the path. Although leaving the path would cause him no harm, it would ruin his concentration, which would mean he'd have to start over. Following the maze was an easy task as long as no one interrupted him. He walked the path and found himself slowly sinking into a meditative state. At the end of the maze, he walked up to the altar and knelt down before it. At that point, he closed his eyes and listened.

Going for Augury to figure out if the stone is what Gav says it is or if there is something else going on with it. Augury roll: 10

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tal, the Mystic

He felt the presence behind him, but made no moves. At this point he didn't want to interrupt the connection. His body tensed as the connection between this world and the world of the spirits opened up. The experience could be traumatic for some, but Tal had grown adjusted to it. He realized the spirit would only tolerate the one question, so he made sure the question cut to the root of the issue.

"Why has this stone come into my possession?"

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tal, the Mystic

"Hmm," So the path is laid out before me. I know what I have to do.

Tal got up and dusted himself off. The vision provided him the path, but it wasn't going to be an easy path to follow. This one stone will cause trouble, no doubt. The other items will no doubt bring their own troubles with them.

He left the labyrinth, taking a straight path instead of following the pattern. Now that the ceremony was over, the ritual of completing the labyrinth didn't need to be done. Leaving the ceremonial area, he walked to his cave for something to eat. And then after? Perhaps for the items to arrive, he would have to go meet them.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tal, the Mystic

His first thought is to tell her to calm down so that he could figure out the details of the situation. Those thoughts were quickly superseded by the necessity to get going. Gav couldn't wait.

Tal got up and let Shara lead the way to where Gav was being kept. When they got there, then he would figure the situation out.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tal, the Mystic

The situation could have been worse, but not much. The crowd wanted blood more than justice. They might say it was justice they wanted, but what they really wanted was to see a poor man have his hand cut off. They think they are civilized, but when it comes down to it, they have no right to the claim.

Tal pushed his way through the crowd. He left Shara behind in the crowd. She shouldn't be to close to him, just in case the crowd desires more blood. When he reaches the front of the crowd, he raises his hand and says,

"Stop! I would have words with those who judged this poor soul. If this is to be a just punishment, then I should be allowed to speak."

If a roll is needed here, let me know.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tal, the Mystic

Lacking in options and time, Tal rushed the stage. The only way he could think of to stop things would be to halt the act itself. He got up on stage and tried to put himself between Gav and the man holding the scimtar.

Rolled an 8 on going into danger.

DocBubonic fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Sep 8, 2016

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tal, the Mystic
2 Harm | 0 armor | 1 keep | XP *

Tal's body went flat. Beyond the pain, Tal could feel the blood dripping from the wound on his back. Although he winced at the pain, he knew he postponed the cutting of Gav's hand. At least for a short while. He got up to his hands and knees, unsure if he could stand up. The pain made him want to lay down, but he pushed himself to get off the ground. Getting to his knees he turned towards the man that hit him.

"Now, will you let me speak? I will not allow this man to lose his hand without knowing why he must be punished in this way."

He got to his feet and faced the man. Tal didn't know much about the laws and customs of this land, but he knew they wouldn't strike down an innocent man like this. They were not barbarians.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tal, the Mystic
2 Harm | 0 armor | 1 keep | XP *

Tal ignores the hand on the shoulder. He believed in avoiding Earthly authority as much as possible, he let it be and wished the opposite was true. However if the two are to clash, one shouldn't back mortals. How can rule derive from man, when the true laws of the world derive from a higher power. He put himself between the sheriff and Gav.

"No. This is an injustice that I will not allow to go forward. You are not punishing this man for thievery, you are punishing him for his beliefs. And I will not allow one of my followers to be punished for following me. I wish to talk to Verief about this matter. If you do not make this happen, I will remedy this injustice with divine justice. You and Verief shall feel that punishment. And what you want to do to this man here will not compare with the divine retribution I will deliver upon your heads."

Got a 6 on manipulate.

DocBubonic fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Sep 16, 2016

• Locked thread