Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Apocron
Dec 5, 2005

Lohaine, the Burning Desert. The holiest place in the world, and the deadliest. The last part “conquered” by the Lemrian Empire. And why was that?

Was it because of reverence? The desert was the place dearest to the sun and as such was a site of pilgrimage for those who followed the Way of Light, thus by leaving it to last they avoided interfering with pilgrims. Was it because of strategy? In its position at the southernmost part of the world the desert served no strategic purpose. Was it because of greed? In the desert natural resources were scarce and so it was a poor prize for any empire.

Whatever their reasons for occupying it last, when the empire turned upon itself and everyone started fighting for survival Lohaine was the first to descend into chaos. Bandits and slavers preyed on the weak. Those in power levied massive taxes for the right to access their oases. The Holy city of Maruna at the center of the desert was said to have burnt itself to the ground in a frenzy of looting and pillaging.

But what actually happened to the Empire itself is a mystery to you. Even Maruna which is only a weeks’ ride by camel is the subject of wild rumors and speculation. You have managed to find yourself in the stronghold of the Burning Oasis. A town that has stood for generations in the line of Verief the patient. Some say that it may even predate the empire’s occupation. Its namesake well is famous for its water which has a strange flavor akin to hot spice. Regardless of the taste, water is water, and when boiled it refreshes the thirst as good as the rain does (when the rain falls once a year).

Recently more and more refugees from the holy city have come and set up shop in the area. Word gets around and while in the past only thirsty travelers had visited now caravans have also begun making the Burning Oasis a regular stop. While this has boosted the economy it has also meant that Verief has needed to expand her warband to ensure peace amongst all these strangers who are rubbing shoulders.

You have recently come to the Burning Oasis seeking fortune or escaping your fate. Whether you can manage either is up to you.

It is now morning.

Welcome to the thread. Please post your sheets with your marked stats in bold. I have one beside your name and you should get the other from your highest history in the recruitment thread or the discord.

Recruitment Thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3783072

Verief- Mark Cool

You sit alone in the audience room. Or to be more accurate you sit while everyone else stands. At your side Grig and Favel shift uncomfortably. While others in the room waiting to speak to you are allowed to mill around and make quiet conversation, your bodyguards have to maintain their attention on each and every person who came to bother you with some petition. And unlike you they couldn’t rest their chin on their elbow and yawn.

Although it is still morning you have been sitting for hours and even now you feel your eyes droop a little while the Priest of the Light continues his tirade about the apostate outside the walls. He accuses the heathen of leading the good people under your care to leave behind their proper devotions to the Light to plot sedition.

“… I’m telling you Mi’ Lady. That stone worshipping heathen will bring about the wrath of the sun. How can it tolerate someone in its holiest lands turning people’s eyes away from the sky to the earth? I wager that soon enough the good people of the town will take up arms to cast down his little circle and…”

Favel strikes the butt of his spear against the floor jutting you out of your reverie.

“Brother Blessed Be The Holy Light. Your time has past. You may visit the lady again on the ‘morrow.”

“Well I…”

“NEXT!”

Brother Blessed seems a bit flustered at being rushed.

Will you give him more time or will you wave him on so the next petitioner can approach you?

Urxar - Mark Sharp

It was strange how the water burned your mouth. You have traveled all over this desert, tasted bitter, sweet, sour and salty water. But this was the first time water from a pitcher had burned your mouth. Around the tavern your brothers all gag or joke at the water that the tavern keeper, Balia, pours into their cups.

Unfortunately since the last lead you had come up with nothing your budget had been slightly off so you hadn’t wished to pay for the purified water and had settled for the spring water.

The tavern is still quite empty, most of the townspeople are pursuing their daily business and won’t come in to relax until the evening. However it seems that there are a few other strangers who are passing time at the other end of the tavern. They are dressed in white robes that make it hard to judge exactly what their profession is but they don’t banter like locals would. The red headed girl Balia tends to their needs but they barely pay any attention to her despite her striking beauty. They just gently sip at the shisha pipe at their feet and stare at you and your group. It strikes you as… odd.

While your men squabble and joke among themselves the only one to sit with you is Rolan. He’s something like your second in command. Probably ten years your senior but his time in the mines took a great toll on his body. But even though he isn’t quick like the younger brothers he has a sharp mind and while the men are distracted he leans over to you.

“Urxar, you know I believe in the cause. The number of people we have saved is surely the sign of whatever god spoke to the mine and set us free. But… when the men don’t think you’re listening I hear them whisper. That although the work is good, it can’t continue forever. They don’t want to just spend their freedom helping others. They want stability, women, wealth. They’re just men Urxar and they’d throw themselves in front of a blade for you. But we can’t live like this forever can we?

Tal - Mark Weird

The first rituals of the day are performed. Those who come earliest in the morning file away from your gathering. These were the people most dedicated to the worship of the chained gods. Every day the first thing they did wasn’t to prepare themselves to work. It was to make the short trip outside the stronghold to the standing stones you tended. To listen carefully to your chants and listen to whatever wisdom you had to share.

What ritual and message do you share with those who have left the worship of the Light to join your unique little cult?

One of the first to come to your group was the one-eyed man Gav. He had entered your camp burning with rage and a hunger for vengeance, an outcast from the village. He had rebelled against the status quo, Verief’s family. “What right do they have to rule based only on blood?” He asked you. When he had tried to argue for his own qualifications and raise a popular movement she had beaten his gang down with her enforcers and taken his eye out.

Not only was he the first to begin making regular trips to you he was also the first to bring others. Whether it was the people he chose to bring, or just the fact that your monument drew them, the regulars at your gatherings tend to be discontent with Verief’s rule. They grumble about how her burden’s aren’t fair and how the others in the village judge them for not worshipping the light.

Today Gav hangs back to speak to you.

“Wise one. I… I just wanted to thank you for guiding me these past months. When I was punished by that b… woman. When she took my eye. I was so shamed. So angry. I thought I was as good as dead. People spat on my face in the street. But coming here has brought me strength. Strength to stand people’s hate.”

He pauses, his face seems a picture of shame and guilt mixed with boyish enthusiasm.

“Actually, I didn’t just want to thank you. The truth is… I think I heard the chained gods speaking to me. I felt like they showed me that just as I am missing an eye. The mask is also missing its eyes. That’s why I brought this.”

From a pouch he produces an onyx stone. Beautifully cut. You’re no expert but it must be worth months of savings.

“They told me they needed an eye to see those of us who gather to call them and I remembered that Verief’s family had a jewel. Her father treasured it but I noticed I hadn’t seen her wearing it once. Don’t ask me how but I managed to look and in her stores it was just sitting there. Please take it and use it for the chained god’s glory!”

Emlyn - Mark Hard

You stand and sweat under the morning sun in the square outside the barracks. The guards have formed a circle around you, an impromptu ring. You’ve been drilling them for weeks now and they’ve slowly improved, looking less and less like a local militia and more like an imperial unit of infantry every day. But today you’ve decided to do something a little special.

At your feet lies Fat Bob. He had been the first to take you up on your offer to duel anyone in the regiment one on one. He had taken it as half joke, half a chance to impress you. You had quickly demonstrated that the stiff practiced movements of fighting as a unit were of little help against a swordsmaster such as yourself.

Now the rest mill uncomfortably. It was clear that you weren’t going to go easy on them but none of them also wished to be seen as a coward.

Tell me about the three other recruits who take up the challenge. One who lacks skill, but has plenty of spirit. One who understands the mechanics of fighting but doesn’t really understand the reality of combat. And one who actually could pose a threat but due to that confidence has the presumption to think himself a rival of yours.

You can narrate how you fight the other two as you wish. If you want to fight the third you’re going to have to roll either to try and change his mind through talking or through beating him down.

Aine - Mark Hot

Wow! That is one hell of a headache. You open your eyes and immediately shade them with your hand. Is it morning? What happened last night? Wait there’s someone in here! This is your room right? Did you sleep with someone? Are you being robbed? drat you can’t see if they’re slipping out to avoid embarrassment or slipping out with your saddlebags under their arm. Ughhhhhhhh. Can you even stand up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Tal and Gav

Your skepticism cuts at Gav. While at first he had seemed boyish and eager, by the end of your questioning he looks like he is burdened with guilt and shame. He crosses his arms and his right hand scratches his left elbow uncomfortably, he's barely able to make eye contact with you.

"But, Wise one... I thought... you... I... I... I'm telling you I heard them. I definitely heard something. I know I'm an angry man. You've helped me so much to control that but I knows when I'm angry. I didn't feel angry at her when I did this. Well, I always feel angry at her but I mean I didn't do this because I was angry at her. You know? Didn't you tell us the story about how you had the vision and the mask was shown to you. I mean the rest of the stones may look worthless as any other, but that mask. I bet it could sell... not that i would think of selling it. I'm just saying that there must be some items around these parts. Like the stone that looks like a face, like this gem that looks like an eye."

Finally he deflates and sighs, looking up to you with broken eyes.

"But if you say it was just me grudges I believe you. I just know I heard it. I heard something."

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Just a quick reminder to check into discord occasionally so we can communicate as necessary and all rolls should be done using the chatbot by typing !roll 2d6+STAT

Verief the Patient in her Audience Room

Brother Blessed eyes widen and he begins rushing his words.

"Mi' lady. I wasn't advocating their death! Only the sun's wrath..."

Favel takes a step forward and Brother Blessed halts his speech. He holds his hands up and backs away reverently. He had been the faith leader in the village since your father's time or perhaps even further back. You didn't know him to be vindictive but then this was the first time any other kind of religious group had ever gained a foothold in the stronghold. You wondered if it was because the transition to your rule had been a little messy. Still you weren't using that as an excuse to clamp down on dissidents and some respected you for it. Others mistook your gracefulness for weakness and whispered in their cups all the more because of this newly discovered freedom.

Favel and Grig tense. From the crowd emerges a man in black robes who strides forward confidently, perhaps even what might be considered disrespectfully. They tighten their grips on their spears but he halts at the customary spot designated for petitioners. Under his arm is a book which he removes and raises into the air with both hands.

"Verief of the Burning Oasis. I, the Milomar, come in the name of the Satrap. In my two hands is the book of his law."

At the invoking of the Satrap's name and the raising of the book many in the audience immediately drop to one knee. Others look around a little confused, unfamiliar with the custom, they glance around them before settling on looking to you for the lead.

You know the Milomars are the chief emissaries of the Satrap. Leading armies, handling neotiations, dispensing justice according to his book of law. All who accept the Satrap's rule show deference to them, particularly when they hold the book aloft. A symbol of the Satrap's actual presence.

Emlyn

Eva grins ferally and leans into the blade. It begins to cut into her neck drawing blood and only your trained reflexes allow you to pull the blade back in time not to slice her throat. But as you allow the blade to give she swipes at you. You easily dance out of the way and stand ready for her to advance. Ava however stands in place, blood dribbling from her neck and staining the front of her tunic.

"Looks like you're the one who needs to worry about holding back not me."

However despite the challenge in her voice she drops her blade and holds up her hands so the palms face you.

"But I admit you are finer with a sword than I am."

The people making up the ring seem shocked by this admission of authority. Fat Bob quickly shouts.

"No Ava you can do it! You're so beautiful and badass!"

Tarn laughs at this and slaps him on the shoulder.

"Nice going chubs! I'm sure she'll bed you now."

Fat Bob turns angrily to him and bounces him off Kase. But he ignores their bantering and instead is looking directly at you with piercing eyes, gauging how you'll react. The crowd is confused now. Some shout at Ava to keep fighting. Others shout that you have bested her and they should leave it be. Ava holds her hands up and they all cease their bickering.

"Master Emlyn. It's one thing drilling, it's another fighting one on one. But where I fights best is in a brawl. I say we all drop our swords so no one gets too busted up and let's see who comes out on top when chaos reigns. What do you say? Maaaaaaaaster."

She finishes the sentence drawling, her eyes smoking hot.

You can either try to control the crowd somehow or you can let it happen and roll "a chaotic free-for-all." Either way if you roll please do it in discord by typing !roll 2d6+STAT

Urxar

You don't return the two men's stare but you consider what they could be doing here. You remember that they had been here in the tavern before you arrived and since you yourself didn't exactly expect to be back at the Burning Oasis so soon its unlikely that it's some kind of trap. But the way they look at you it's clear that they must recognize you. Either way it would be madness to fight you here in a tavern whose only patrons were your men.

Perhaps they notice you judging them, or perhaps their shisha runs out but they get up and make their way to Balia to pay. Seems like they're going to leave. Your attention is once more drawn from them to Rolan.

"I respect the open door policy Urxar and I'm not going anywhere but I don't know if we can continue forever counting on fate to replenish our numbers when people leave. Up until now men have left in ones and twos and joined the same way, but I'm telling you that if we don't provide a little bit more stability for the men that one of these days we're going to lose ten or twenty all at once. Then we won't be breaking slavers caravans so much as being a pesky mosquito buzzing around them. Maybe we set up a base or marry some of the men off and bring their wives along so people don't feel like they're giving up the finer things in life."

Aine

Durga flashes those pearly whites.

"Oh! You sure are feisty this morning!"

He pounces on top of you and grabbing your wrist pins you. The air is electric for a second but then he let's go and the charge fades. He gets off you before and sits on his haunches.

"Haha, I wish I could actually pull that off my Nordian beauty, but it kind of kills the illusion for me when I've seen you snap men twice my size in half!"

He begins slipping his clothing on lazily and talks with an absent minded kind of voice with a tunic over his head.

"Sorry for waking you. I thought I almost made it out today. In fact, even if I wanted to stay I can't. There's going to be a special auction this afternoon and I have to get to the market to prep. All sorts of visitors coming to see what's going to be available. Maybe even we'll get another Nordian visitor! If you want you can tag along, we can brunch at one of the stalls!"

Or you can do anything else you want.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Verief

The Milomar lowers the book and from his helm resonates a voice rich in smug satisfaction.

“My lady, I come with good tidings of great joy. The ever gracious Satrap has deigned to honor you with the glory of his presence. Within a month the royal court will come from the Holy City to see the Burning Oasis.”

Your mind races. A blessing and a curse for sure. Whatever riots had happened in Maruna had obviously upset the balance of power greatly. Was it possible he was coming here to regroup? Or perhaps he had quelled the dissent and he was pursuing those that had fled to set up residence in your marketplace. Either way if you accepted his “invitation” to host him you would be bound by the laws of hospitality to see him received appropriately and protected. A very costly endeavor. But it would also lend you a legitimacy and political clout within the whole desert that no other strongholder could match.

“It has reached the Satrap’s ears that an auction is held here every month. I have come to observe the proceedings today and he will come in time for the next auction. His radiance has something of great value to sell and it is sure to bring even more merchants to your noble enclave.’

How do you react to the Satrap’s announcement? Will you accept the Satrap’s entourage visiting, refuse, or try to convince them now is not the right time?

Aine

You arrive in the reception hall in time to see everyone bowing before a man in black robes holding aloft a book. Some people seem hesitant as to whether they should bow but when they see Verief showing proper respect they also kowtow appropriately.

Do you remain standing erect? Unfamiliar with the land and it’s culture.
Bow your head in the same manner as Verief? Showing a modicum of respect but perhaps making you stand out as someone of similar influence.
Properly prostrate yourself like the others in the room and attract no attention?

Urxar

Rolan dips his head in respect and holds his hands out palms up to show his indebtedness to you.

“Brother, if I can be of any assistance it is my greatest pleasure. The work you have done throughout the desert has changed more lives than any ruler I have ever known. Wherever you lead I will follow.”

You’re aware that as Rolan makes his speech the men in white robes settle their tab with Talia and exit.

Elond, One of your more rambunctious newer members comes across from one of the tables and slaps you on the back heartily.

“Brothers! Your talk seems altogether too somber when you are only in the shallows of your cups. It may only be water but they have kick! I say we finish our jars and go ride out and look for signs of bandits, or maybe we can all explore the town a little more. Maybe let each man see if they can find a bunk for the night!”

What do you and your men do?

Emlyn

Despite a grueling morning of training the men and women break with enthusiasm. Those who are not rostered for duty make their way to the tavern while others go and see about their chores. There are no hard feelings from the brawl as you see people clap each other on the back and congratulate those with bruises. You see Tarn offer Fat Bob a hand up and he accepts it gladly giving a deep belly laugh that the little one had managed to flatten him.

Morale is high and those on guard duty will certainly do a better job of it while those with the more menial chores will not grumble for a while.

However you notice Eva leaving the yard by herself. You had seen her in the midst of the brawl, a whirling dervish toppling those around her with little effort. But while you had navigated its ebb and flow with grace, manipulating the whole chaotic mess, she had been unable to turn it against you and score a blow. You can see in her eyes that the desire to bloody you has only grown stronger.

You could go to the tavern with those who are off duty, try and approach Eva, or go on duty yourself and see if there is any trouble that needs your attention.

Tal

Tal walks. His steps entering a practiced unhurried rhythm as he moves within the stone circle. With his eyes closed the wind stirring the sand seems louder. The feeling of the sun on his body stronger. The smell of his clothes more intense.

Time slips away and he feels like his mind is freed from its physical constraints. He could feel that while he had drawn the labyrinth so that those who visited him could see it in the physical realm, it had existed since long before he had cleared the area.

Finally he is aware that he kneels before the altar. Everything is dark and peaceful. However the stone given by Gav shines in his hand. He cannot see it, but he is certain that it gives off the impression of shining. In the same way the mask shaped rock also shines on the altar. Having given over his consciousness into the meditative state he is not surprised when of its own volition his hand places the stone onto the altar.

The sound of it lightly clacking against the stone surface rings out. The wave passing through him and then rebounding off the edges of the stone circle and converging once more in the center.

Tal has the sense that a woman stands before him. She doesn’t speak or move but there is a vitality present within her that feels overwhelming.

Tal may ask one question of this being.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Verief and Aine

Before you can ask your question you see the Milomar's attention has been drawn to Aine. He cuts over your words.

"What MOCKERY is THIS?! The Holy Book is raised and some savage will not bow in these the lands of our true god and his representative the Satrap?!"

The crowd of people on their knees tenses. This was the preamble to Holy bloodshed if anyone had ever heard it before. The Milomar turns back to you Verief.

"Won't you send your guards to chastise this brute or must the Milomar themself dirty their hands with blood in the name of purity?!"

Tal

It is less of a voice and more of a feeling in your heart.

The stones must gather. You have awakened in this place the power of the Old Gods. Now from throughout the desert our parts must reunite. You care for this place and so they come to you.

With that the presence fades. Perhaps if you could gain another you could ask another question.

Urxar

You come to the market now moving toward its full swing. People hawk at passersby from stalls and try to attract them for their goods. Weapons, food, jewels, tapestries. Anything you might desire is on sale here. It has been a long time since you saw a marketplace to busy and thriving as this.

One particular part of the market place is cordoned off and guarded. It seems to be an auction area. However the guards are required to guarantee that all who enter are of means and mind to bid lest the seats fill with idle spectators.

You also note a small dark blue tent embroidered with stars. Unusual symbols decorate its doorway and Roland seems to try and draw you away from it but it seems strangely appealing.

You may look for anything you desire from within the market. If you wish to enter the auction you must display valuables worth at least 1 keep and the desire to bid with them. Or you can go into the mystery tent.

Emlyn

Finishing your words with the glads quickly you set off after Ava. She doesn't seem aware that you are following her but with narrow streets and bustling crowds tailing her is no easy task. Eventually she enters a low building that is dark. It doesn't look like a house but nor does it have any obvious wares on sale. As you draw closer the strong smell of intoxicants causes you to take a step back. Some kind of gambling house or narcotics den? You could just walk in but univited guests are seldom welcomed into these sorts of places.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Emlyn

The room is dark and smoky. People lie on beautiful woven rugs sucking on hookah pipes oblivious to your entry. From here you can make out two possible doorways that Ava might have gone though. One is covered by silk and you can hear the tinkling girlish laughter coming from the other side. The other has a sturdy wooden door with a sliding faceplate.

You see no enemy here.
You cannot tell who is in control here.
You do not sense the need to keep a lookout from any of these people using the hookah pipes.

Tal

You make your way back to your cave and eat a humble meal. You spend the morning taking care of simple chores. The rhythm is familiar and comforting. Having spent much of your life on the road it is quite enjoyable to have a space you can call your own.

Around midday you hear the sounds of someone running toward your dwelling. You turn and see one of the younger female followers (Shara was it?) burst in panting.

"Wise one *pant* no time *pant* the guard *pant* will take Gav's hand!"

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Urxar

As you make your way around the tent and look at it you are intrigued by the materials and designs. It seems to be made of some kind of velvety fabric that seems too heavy to be of real use traveling any distance in the desert. The writing is in some language you are unfamiliar with but the fanciful swoops and artful bends make it seem like it's for decoration than for communication.

"Brother, let's away from here. There's dark magics at play and much the same as rollin' in a sty will cover you in pig poo poo, walking in there will bring you no good."

However Roland's voice sounds distnt and you wave him down expressing that there's no need to be afraid. Pushing aside the flap you enter while Roland backs off making superstitious hand signs to ward himself.

Inside a striking woman sits idly shuffling cards. Despite the quiet she weaves her head around as if listening to some lilting music. She sits at a low table and there is a chair opposite her. However she holds up a hand preventing you from sitting. She points from your pouch to a golden bowl beside the door. You have a few gemstones in there but it seems a tad foolish to pay before even knowing what services are being offered. But the idea of leaving without even hearing her voice strikes you as unthinkable.

Emptying the gems into the bowl you make your way and sit down. Her eyes bore into you and you wait for a minute or two before she finally speaks.

"Unchained. I have words for you. Words of wealth. Words of love. Words of destiny. Which will you hear?"

You lose 1 keep.

You can choose to listen to her read her cards on one of these three topics. Or you can choose another topic if you want. Should you listen to her roll +Spirit. 10+ and her words herald great fortune for you and your band. 7-9 and her words speak of opportunity. 6- and her words will be a dire portent.

You can also choose not to listen to her and instead leave. If you do you could steal your gems back from the bowl on the way out.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Milomar

You cannot see the Milomar's face beneath his mask but his voice sounds crazed.

"You are known as patient but such forbearance in the face of this great insult disgraces this very court! If you cannot control your own subjects in the presence of divinity then how could I possibly recommend the Satrap come into your halls?!

Blood! I demand blood here and now! Before these very witnesses! Take this savage and make her bleed that we might all see that you are master of this court and a god fearing friend of the Satrap!"

You feel an overwhelming pressure as the weight of everyone in the room lies on you.

The only way he will be satisfied is if you will wound Aine publicly. No pulled punches. If you cannot do this before the witnesses it will be seen as a sign of weakness by your court and stronghold.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Emlyn

The small slot in the door slides open. It is covered by a dense black cloth that doesn't allow you to see whoever is currently watching you. Whoever is there waits for a moment to see what you will say.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Tal, the Mystic

It is just as well that you decide to follow Shara. She leads you at a sprint into town and toward the market place. Your robes whip at your feet and threaten to trip you while dust and sand is kicked into your eyes by Shara. Everyone turns to watch you as you pass as running is an extremely shameful act except for situations of dire peril. You're sure people will be gossiping about whatever is happening for weeks.

Just in time you arrive at the elevated platform usually reserved for public executions, or in this case, removing a thief's hand. A large crowd separates you from the dais where two guards hold Gav and a third holds his scimitar waving it before the crowd psyching them up.

"Good people of the Oasis. This troublemaker has been caught in the act of thieving. Well we all know what the penalty for a thief is. And this scum has already tasted the justice of our patient lady once."

The guard reaches down and pulls off the bandage that covers the hole where Gav's eye once was. The crowd cheers and he throws it to them.

"What say you!"

The crowd begins chanting.

"The hand! The hand!"

Some make chopping signs on their own wrists and you can see their encouragement only fires up the guard even more. He begins weaving his scimitar around, walking around Gav. Then begins to prepare himself to make the cut. Shara's eyes stream with tears as she looks at you pleadingly. It's hard to tell how Gav is feeling as he lies limply beside the cutting block with his wrist on it. Had they knocked him out before dragging him up there?

What do you do?

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Verief, Aine and the Milomar

As the foreigner speaks up the attention of the room swings onto her. They had all felt awkward when she had refused to bow with them but as she continues to stand in defiance and even speaks back people begin whispering.

"SILENCE!"

The Milomar screams before panting heavily with rage.

"You foreign scum dare to come in here and to threaten me?! What madness is this Verief?!"

He strides toward Aine.

"I do not CARE where you are from! I do not RESPECT your culture! I do not ACCEPT duels from savages. You are in this Holy Desert by the grace of god and the Satrap! You offend creation itself with your feigned ignorance and pride. If you will not kneel then I will cut you down to size."

Aine had stood ready as soon as she noticed that he was on warpath. Confident in her skills. However she wasn't prepared for this speed. While he was still ten paces away the Milomar suddenly lunged. She couldn't tell if it was magic or technique but in a split second he was before her, sword sweeping across to cleave into her.

Aine you have to roll "Go into danger" to keep your cool and react in time to avoid the swipe. Whether or not you are struck you are free to then Unleash on him if you wish. Or you could take the hit and allow him to seem the badass in front of the bystanders.

Verief, this is bad. Through you and Aine's blundering attempts at manipulating the Milomar he has worked himself into a frenzy. What's worse the crowd is completely on his side. Should he not come out of this safely and should Aine not go unpunished you face not only the wrath of the Satrap but also the lost faith of those witnessing these events.

Urxar your prophecy is in part tied up to how things resolve here!

Emlyn

The door slat slides shut with a clack. Then you hear the sounds of bars and bolts being slid from the other side of the door before it is opened for you.

The man behind it is huge, well over 2 meters tall and he gives the impression of being 2 meters wide. He seems far more intimidating than the flimsy oak door that had stood in your way moments before. He flashes you a toothy (well he has most of his teeth) grin. He happily takes your gems and pulls you in.

The room beyond seems to be some kind of fight club. A deep pit is dug into the center of the room and two thugs who look like they've had about twenty blows too many drowzily circle each other throwing wild haymakers. It is hardly a contest of champions. The spectators around the pit don't seem to care that much and whoop and jeer with every meaty thud struck. You look for Ava. After scanning the crowd and the area where the next competitors are psyching themselves up you notice tucked into the back corner a bar. She sits in a stool with her back to you drinking whatever piss they serve in dives like this.

You have the sense that you have been noticed by a few of the regulars as a new face but considering you got past that wall of a man by the entrance they seem satisfied only to note your entrance and nothing more.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Aine and Verief

You sidestep his slash and dart back. He pursues ready to try and swing once more.

However this time you manage to unsling your blade. In one smooth motion, from draw to chop, your sword dives deeply into his body. One of his arms falls uselessly to the floor and a gurgling sound escapes his throat. The blade stops after cutting easily through his body only stopping when it lodges into the book he had help up so proudly before and now holds him hanging gruesomely from your weapon. How easily another life is taken.

A scream escapes from one of the bystanders and people begin piling out of Verief's audience room through any exit except the one barred by Aine. People look with panic and fear at the blood soaked demon in their midst. The guards try to keep control but the sheer volume of people makes them impossible to manage.

Emlyn

Ava turns startled by your presence.

"Shadow's poo poo! Are you stalking me?!"

She listens to you and shakes her head.

"What? You want me to heel? Fine if I don't fit in your perfect little unit I quit. The truth is we did just fine before you came along and started trying to turn everything into some stupid fascist empire regiment. Fat lot of good all the training did you pillocks in the cold lands when push came to shove. Why did you even crawl into this little forsaken desert hole anyway?"

She smirks.

"I bet you're hot poo poo here but back home you're nobody! So you had to come to the middle of nowhere to look for someone who might actually respect you. Well gently caress off. That ain't me and I'm sure there's plenty others like me down here."

Urxar]

The fortune-tellers eyes roll back into her head and turn an inky black.

"Freedom has fled. Tyranny comes. You see yourself as breaker of chains, but what about their forgers? The forgers come, they are angry at their lost profit. They have seen you but they come not only for you. Everyone here will be chained. Walls will break. Flesh will burn. We are all slaves to the sun. Freedom is an illusion of the night. The fire of the s-u/o-n comes to consume our freedom. Before the next black moon the Oasis will be in chains. One way or another."

The fortune-teller shudders then collapses unconscious onto her table. You're unsure if that's what normally happens.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Tal, the Mystic

The man holding scimitar doesn't seem to hear your lone voice of reason over the screeching mob all around you. He is moments away from bringing his blade down on Gav's right hand.

You're gonna have to do something dramatic if you want to stop that scimitar coming down

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Emlyn

Ava stares at you for a second before bursting into laughter.

"Me? Leave?"

Her screechy laughter cuts through the room. You get the uncomfortable feeling that everyone's attention has just shifted from the fight pit to the bar.

"You must have had a toke on one of those hookah's on the way in. I'm the closest thing to a friend you've got in here."

Now you feel the menace as the thugs and roughnecks, drunks and killers form a crowd behind you.

"And as a friend I'll give you a chance. You give me that fancy sword of yours and I'll try my very, very hardest to make sure you get out of here alive."

You've really put yourself in a tight spot here by coming into one of the deepest darkest holes in the Burning Oasis alone. You could probably paste 99% of these punks one on one, or even facing off against a small group of them. But nobody here cares about you and you're threatening one of their own in the middle of their turf. You can leave your sword and get out, or you can try and fight your way out. But if you do fight I'm warning you that it's going to be tough and you won't be making any friends since you walked in here and started poo poo.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Urxar

As soon as you make your distress known Roland bursts into the tent. He seems surprised to find that you're not in trouble but that the soothsayer is unconscious. He makes a gesture of a closed fist over his brow.

"Sun guide me. What have you gotten us into brother? I don't know if her words are true or not but I don't think we can really bring them to the authorities and expect them to take us seriously. For all we know this is all smoke and mirrors and even now we are caught up in the act. Even were it not, what are we supposed to tell them? That you found out crucial intelligence from the stars through a fortune teller? I say we get out of here while you've been in here things have turned a bit sour outside. They caught a thief and the crowd is mighty blood thirsty."

Tal

You rush the platform. Nobody pays much heed to you as they are all entranced by the glittering blade hovering in the air. What nobody expects is for you to throw yourself in front of the blade.

The guard notices you just as he brings his blade down on top of Gav. You manage to throw yourself on top of his hand and the guard tries to pull back his sword but it makes a nasty cut on your back. There's a gasp from the crowd and suddenly everyone is silent unsure if they just watched an innocent person get killed.

You take 2-harm

Emlyn

You whip around your blade tracing a silent flashing arc in the torch light. The neck of the ruffian behind you offers no resistance and there's a split second pause, his face displaying a puzzled look, before his head tumbles to the ground. You charge at the group that had gathered behind you but instead of finding a melee like you had expected they give way. You attempt to lock swords and wound but all you find are parries and people backing off from your challenge. You manage to catch some off guard, taking one man's hand and stabbing a many others but it seems like none of them desire the fate of the first person who earned your wrath. However through the crowd you notice that more people are coming from outside to fill the ranks of the injured. You hear a voice crying out from the throng but it is hard to pinpoint its location.

"Tell me stranger. If someone bribed their way into your house. Threatened your friend. Killed and injured your guests. What would you do?"

The medium gang has 3 harm and 2 armor. This is increased to 4 harm and 4 armor since it is two size categories larger than you. You deal 1 harm. However you can tell that the gang isn't simply limited to the people in the bar and it will "heal" in time. However since you surprised and frightened them with your first merciless attack they are not inflicting harm on you this turn and are simply getting a feel for you. One of them is also calling you out. Perhaps the leader?

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Tal

The guard at first puzzled by your intervention seems annoyed that you interfered with his work just to question him in front of a whole crowd.

"This is the first time I've seen you stand in the way of someone losing their hand for thievery hereabouts. So either you haven't been here long enough to see it happen or you're sweet on this fella."

He turns and spits off to the side.

"Either way we caught him in the auction house tent playing with one of the items up for sale. Someone spotted him being the fool who tried to upstage Verief and when we told him that he best be on his way he wouldn't leave. Well not leaving nor letting go of the goods is tantamount to thieving or planning thieving so he's gonna learn his lesson whether you like it or not by my name as Sheriff Holst."

He nods at another guard who comes over and puts a hand in your shoulder.

"Now, stay put. You got no authority here."

He swings the blade up into the air again and the crowd cheers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
[i]I need more feedback on where people see this going now that Verief has pulled out.[/b]

• Locked thread