Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Y-Hat posted:

somebody was permabanned in that thread for defending child sex, if you wanted to know the sort of people who are big fans of that show

was that the same guy who argued in favor of titties being shown on children's show Steven Universe because there's no difference between "XX breasts" and "XY breasts" anyway maaaaan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

Skeleton Ape posted:

The thread in gbs about the Stephen Universe thread in tviv has accumulated over 200 posts in a few hours

The whole thing is very troubling

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

phasmid posted:

Somehow, it's always the people obsessed with wolves that ruin things.

Always true, Wolf, Horse and Shamanistic/Pagan "people" are always seriously deranged

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
the bernie sanders thread had over a quarter of a million posts

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

the bernie sanders thread had over a quarter of a million posts

and about 200,000 of them ruled

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
In steven universe's defense, the show kinda started off alright, the concept seemed fun and the character design and music was neat...then the show expanded years later and turned into a loving tumblr trainwreck.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I think rape is bad

I AM THE TOILET
Jul 11, 2016

End Of Worlds posted:

can someone please explain the dog dick thing

about 20 years ago we had this bigass german shepherd and of course we couldn't train him for poo poo so he'd just lie on whatever furniture he wanted whenever nobody was looking so one day my brother walks into his bedroom and there's the dog, and my brother goes apeshit and starts yelling at the dog to get down but the dog is like ha ha, gently caress you, so my brother grabbed his forelegs and started pulling him off the bed

this caused the dog's dick to get caught in the sheets and it started to bend

the dog started to shriek and my brother just thought the dog was being pissy about being dragged off a bed

we then had this baying, shrieking giant dog with a hosed up bleeding dick limping around the bedroom and then mom showed up and started screaming and oh loving god it was horrible and we had to take the dog to the vet to get his dick fixed

so that's MY dog dick thing

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

I think trans people should go back and listen to No Wave music so they see that people who hate their bodies and themselves have been represented in media for years.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

OP, its called autism. I thought you of all people would understand it.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Booblord Zagats posted:

Gumball is legit funny and I always enjoy watching it with my nephews. I'm pretty sure Regular Show exists to help people get their kids to understand 80s movie jokes

Yeah, Gumball is pretty decent. Especially when they add in poo poo that seems to be there for the express purpose of giving kids nightmares like that dream episode.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Cthulu Carl posted:

Yeah, Gumball is pretty decent. Especially when they add in poo poo that seems to be there for the express purpose of giving kids nightmares like that dream episode.

The episode where the appliances come to life is still my favorite along with TaeKwonDorks

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

bitmap posted:

now demystify the dog dick thing for me

This F Plus episode will explain everything!

https://thefpl.us/episode/98

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
kids shows can have funny jokes from time to time because, guess who writes the shows, adults!!!

does this mean you should watch them? no, you pedophile.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

Cthulu Carl posted:

Gumball has some good moments

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeAp15OmW2s

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Gumball is great but my wife and I agree it's too scary for actual children. Our daughters got really stressed out by the happiness plague episode because it had all the beats and atmosphere of a legit zombie horror but they lacked the understanding to get the joke that the characters were "happy" so to them it was straight horror.

We should have learned our lesson with Phineas and Ferb's "Night of the Living Pharmacists" which also gave them nightmares.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I can still make my daughter jump by imitating Doofenshmirtz's voice and groaning "lots of meee." But I feel guilty afterwards so I don't do it much anymore.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

facebook jihad posted:

I think rape is bad

This is one Hot Take dude

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

ArtIsResistance posted:

kids shows can have funny jokes from time to time because, guess who writes the shows, adults!!!

:agreed:

I AM THE TOILET
Jul 11, 2016

ArtIsResistance posted:

hey it's the guy who shows up to pixar movies alone on bring your baby day at the movies

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Every adult ive met who likes the show is a broke brain sadsack who is deeply enmeshed with "nerd culture" and has multiple articles of clothing related to Dr Who

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Uncle Wemus posted:

Every adult ive met who likes the show is a broke brain sadsack who is deeply enmeshed with "nerd culture" and has multiple articles of clothing related to Dr Who

I only have a shirt with the DeLorean crashing into the TARDIS, but yeah this checks out.

Also I hate myself and everyone around me.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
You know those people you hand a pocket knife to when they ask for help opening a box and then spend 5 minutes trying to figure out how to open/close it?

Those are the dudes who watch poo poo like this

Bubble Bobby
Jan 28, 2005

Y-Hat posted:

somebody was permabanned in that thread for defending child sex, if you wanted to know the sort of people who are big fans of that show

lol link?

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I don't watch or play Homestuck, Steven universe, undertale, or adventure time. They all give the same vibe that feels completely overblown and maybe aren't as deep or interesting as the fans pouring thousands of hours into the official media want them to be.

But I guess it's whatever if you want to post about it, not like I care to post in a Steven universe threeeaaaoooohhh nnnnoooooo

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

facebook jihad posted:

Like loquacious said pretty much. I remember posting a bit in TVIV back in like 2011 because I was trying to get into TV after not watching for years and I remember the MLP thread always being at the top of the forum and having an absurd number of pages. I looked into it thinking it was probably an ironic or mock thread but it was mostly all legit brony posting.
Sure you had some FYAD leaks and troll posts calling people pedophiles and what not but they always got shouted down or ignored. Plenty of fanart too. It was loving weird.

As an experiment I clicked to read the last post one morning and kept track of how many new posts were made in a single day, and the number went well over a thousand posts in that one day.

This was like right before 'brony' became a thing so I seriously had no idea what in the blue gently caress this was all about. I'm not sure if the Steven Universe thread is like that but yeah SA had a poo poo ton of bronies before the holocaust.

you still see a lot of pony avatars outside of GBS, though they always give the "I was in Austria during the war" defense of "some angry nerd bought it for me" when questioned

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Booblord Zagats posted:

You know those people you hand a pocket knife to when they ask for help opening a box and then spend 5 minutes trying to figure out how to open/close it?

Those are the dudes who watch poo poo like this

That is an oddly specific example. I have never encountered a person that matches that description.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Applewhite posted:

That is an oddly specific example. I have never encountered a person that matches that description.

I've met too many of these people.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

you still see a lot of pony avatars outside of GBS, though they always give the "I was in Austria during the war" defense of "some angry nerd bought it for me" when questioned

To be fair I actually had a brony avatar for about half a year. I toxxed the 2014 super bowl and let someone make me an avatar of their choosing with the promise I would keep it until the next season starts.

I lost and wound up with this vibrating pony avatar with flashing colors behind it that probably would have given someone a seizure. loving Broncos, man.

Point is I'd be surprised if half the MLP avatars are serious bronies, although I'm sure a lot of them do exist here.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I AM THE TOILET posted:

so that's MY dog dick thing
you should listen to bob barker and spay or neuter your pets
Ban reason: "Obsessed with underage cartoon characters having sex." also:

Who What Now posted:

Just a reminder that you talked at great lengths about Amethyst taking part in orgies. I don't think you can decry anything as being too "fan-Fetish".

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jul 27, 2016

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Applewhite posted:

Yeah, but I have a feeling on some deeper level you know exactly the guy I'm talking about

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Can't wait for this terrible show to be cancelled.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Fun game, pick a random page look for a wall of text and try to guess the age of the poster.

My theory is that the Gems were created as servants by an organic species. Each Diamond corresponds to a category of Gem. These categories are functional ones. There are soldier/"invasion" gems under Yellow Diamond, there are diplomatic gems under Blue Diamond, there are ??? (infrastructure?) gems under White Diamond, and there are companion/nurturing gems under Pink Diamond. This also means that Pink Diamond and her underlings are particularly receptive to the emotions of organic life. Perhaps humans (or Earth life generally) are very similar to whatever organic species created Gem servants (convergent evolution is a thing!) That idea would sort of fit into why only Rose Quartz (I still think she's PD) was the only one of the Crystal Gems who actually seemed invested in the mission in its own right; Pearl, Sapphire, Ruby, and Amethyst are all from other categories whose powers and predilections and not inherently emotional and they don't fill that role as easily. Meanwhile, out in spaaaaaaaaace, the Gems are still in conflict with this organic species, and it's why they need geoweapons at all. Also, Peridot saying they're "running out of resources on homeworld" implies that they need to be making more Gems. But it's not clear why this is super pressing, because Gems are immortal until destroyed. We can chalk some deaths up to accidents and etc, but overall the immediate need for more resources isn't clear unless they're in conflict with another species, or suspect they will be.

I'm going to guess 28.

If they basically say that Jasper is unable to be redeemed and should be shattered, it'd be thematically inconsistent with how they treated Peridot and Lapis (two antagonists who both also attempted to kill Steven and the Gems).

She's just as much a prisoner of Homeworld as Lapis and Peridot were, only Jasper is inside the power structure. We've seen some indications that Jasper has a significant rank within the power structure (ability to supersede Peridot's mission, for one) which even comes down to being perhaps the only Gem we've seen to have an ostentatious badge of office (her cape). Jasper seems devoted to the Diamonds out of duty and loyalty which I don't think the Diamonds really care about. As far as we know, they want to recover Jasper because she's a valuable tool. All in all, it seems like Jasper will be put into a position where Homeworld betrays her trust - for example, perhaps finding out she fused with Lapis with the fact it was to stop the CGs being an irrelevance. I don't think Jasper is easy to redeem because she has, in every appearance, been the will of Homeworld personified. She's the Darth Vader of the Empire. Sure, she's scary and she shows up when Yellow Diamond needs poo poo done, but she's just as much a prisoner of the system as anyone else is. Jasper just can't see it.

It also wouldn't surprise me if we get a Jasper/Peridot fusion out of Peridot's recent development and Jasper's apparent obsession with the idea. I doubt Jasper will form Malachite again, because I doubt Lapis would allow it, but she'll probably assume she can browbeat Peridot into it.

She also has a great voice and a unique build, shape and demeanor that you don't really get in female characters - that is, unless someone is going to demean them about being strong and buff.

The problem with Jasper remaining a villain is that she has been beaten in every single encounter. Oh, sure, she had Garnet on the ropes until she was thrown into the energy reactor, but that's about the high point of her career. She broke her own rules to form Malachite and got imprisoned under the ocean. She overpowered Lapis eventually (maybe?) but was then defeated. They'd have to do a lot to make her threatening again. Jasper isn't just an rear end in a top hat, we've never seen her take any kind of sadistic glee in anything she does. She relishes the chance to fight worthy opponents and she wants victory at any cost. These qualities are pretty heroic, she's just on the wrong side. if she has a significant flaw it is, as Pick pointed out, her bull-headed anger. She doesn't even strike me as much of a zealot for the Diamonds as Peridot is - probably because Peridot was pretty well indoctrinated and Jasper is almost certainly an Era 1 Gem - but more as someone who has accepted her place. Not accepted with a resigned unhappy shrug, but accepted as how things are and because it gives her what she wants: a chance to fight and be useful.

quote:
She ordered them to be shot by the ship, it's not clear this is fatal to Gems. She's a villain but the dimensions of her villainy are not clear. It does seem clear she wanted to take them back to YD though, so ostensibly alive probably?

Definitely alive. If she didn't want them alive, she could have easily shattered Ruby and Sapphire after breaking down Garnet. I think it's pretty clear that Pearl and Amethyst wouldn't be able to stop her - after all, we can reasonably assume that they tried before they were thrown on the ship.

This one is tough because I didn't read it but 32.

Funky See Funky Do fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jul 27, 2016

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Applewhite posted:

My fiancee actually literally matches the description, she can't figure out pocket-knife release mechanisms and always has to just hand them back to me still open

but her TV guilty-pleasures are laugh-track sitcoms and dating reality shows, not kids' cartoons

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka
Adults who are into Steven Universe are also the kind of people who request crayons at restaurants, come the gently caress on they're not for you

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Fun game, pick a random page look for a wall of text and try to guess the age of the poster.

My theory is that the Gems were created as servants by an organic species. Each Diamond corresponds to a category of Gem. These categories are functional ones. There are soldier/"invasion" gems under Yellow Diamond, there are diplomatic gems under Blue Diamond, there are ??? (infrastructure?) gems under White Diamond, and there are companion/nurturing gems under Pink Diamond. This also means that Pink Diamond and her underlings are particularly receptive to the emotions of organic life. Perhaps humans (or Earth life generally) are very similar to whatever organic species created Gem servants (convergent evolution is a thing!) That idea would sort of fit into why only Rose Quartz (I still think she's PD) was the only one of the Crystal Gems who actually seemed invested in the mission in its own right; Pearl, Sapphire, Ruby, and Amethyst are all from other categories whose powers and predilections and not inherently emotional and they don't fill that role as easily. Meanwhile, out in spaaaaaaaaace, the Gems are still in conflict with this organic species, and it's why they need geoweapons at all. Also, Peridot saying they're "running out of resources on homeworld" implies that they need to be making more Gems. But it's not clear why this is super pressing, because Gems are immortal until destroyed. We can chalk some deaths up to accidents and etc, but overall the immediate need for more resources isn't clear unless they're in conflict with another species, or suspect they will be.

I'm going to guess 28.

If they basically say that Jasper is unable to be redeemed and should be shattered, it'd be thematically inconsistent with how they treated Peridot and Lapis (two antagonists who both also attempted to kill Steven and the Gems).

She's just as much a prisoner of Homeworld as Lapis and Peridot were, only Jasper is inside the power structure. We've seen some indications that Jasper has a significant rank within the power structure (ability to supersede Peridot's mission, for one) which even comes down to being perhaps the only Gem we've seen to have an ostentatious badge of office (her cape). Jasper seems devoted to the Diamonds out of duty and loyalty which I don't think the Diamonds really care about. As far as we know, they want to recover Jasper because she's a valuable tool. All in all, it seems like Jasper will be put into a position where Homeworld betrays her trust - for example, perhaps finding out she fused with Lapis with the fact it was to stop the CGs being an irrelevance. I don't think Jasper is easy to redeem because she has, in every appearance, been the will of Homeworld personified. She's the Darth Vader of the Empire. Sure, she's scary and she shows up when Yellow Diamond needs poo poo done, but she's just as much a prisoner of the system as anyone else is. Jasper just can't see it.

It also wouldn't surprise me if we get a Jasper/Peridot fusion out of Peridot's recent development and Jasper's apparent obsession with the idea. I doubt Jasper will form Malachite again, because I doubt Lapis would allow it, but she'll probably assume she can browbeat Peridot into it.

She also has a great voice and a unique build, shape and demeanor that you don't really get in female characters - that is, unless someone is going to demean them about being strong and buff.

The problem with Jasper remaining a villain is that she has been beaten in every single encounter. Oh, sure, she had Garnet on the ropes until she was thrown into the energy reactor, but that's about the high point of her career. She broke her own rules to form Malachite and got imprisoned under the ocean. She overpowered Lapis eventually (maybe?) but was then defeated. They'd have to do a lot to make her threatening again. Jasper isn't just an rear end in a top hat, we've never seen her take any kind of sadistic glee in anything she does. She relishes the chance to fight worthy opponents and she wants victory at any cost. These qualities are pretty heroic, she's just on the wrong side. if she has a significant flaw it is, as Pick pointed out, her bull-headed anger. She doesn't even strike me as much of a zealot for the Diamonds as Peridot is - probably because Peridot was pretty well indoctrinated and Jasper is almost certainly an Era 1 Gem - but more as someone who has accepted her place. Not accepted with a resigned unhappy shrug, but accepted as how things are and because it gives her what she wants: a chance to fight and be useful.

quote:
She ordered them to be shot by the ship, it's not clear this is fatal to Gems. She's a villain but the dimensions of her villainy are not clear. It does seem clear she wanted to take them back to YD though, so ostensibly alive probably?

Definitely alive. If she didn't want them alive, she could have easily shattered Ruby and Sapphire after breaking down Garnet. I think it's pretty clear that Pearl and Amethyst wouldn't be able to stop her - after all, we can reasonably assume that they tried before they were thrown on the ship.

This one is tough because I didn't read it but 32.

45 and has micro penis e; and is a pedophile

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

the answer to all of them is "too goddamn old to be debating this poo poo"

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

E1M1 posted:

Adults who are into Steven Universe are also the kind of people who request crayons at restaurants, come the gently caress on they're not for you

My mom requests crayons at restaurants but that's because she's going blind and can't read pen in low light. She also loves Steven universe and has shipped amethyst and sour cream.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Nigmaetcetera posted:

My mom requests crayons at restaurants but that's because she's going blind and can't read pen in low light. She also loves Steven universe and has shipped amethyst and sour cream.

she doesn't deserve to see if she wastes her sight on SU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

MariusLecter posted:

she doesn't deserve to see if she wastes her sight on SU

gently caress you she's a great artist and it's really sad

• Locked thread