Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
Who buys a $4000 vacuum on credit lmao

Head to https://www.consumeraffairs.com/in_home/kirby.htm or https://www.consumeraffairs.com/homeowners/rainbow_vacuum.html for endless reviews posted by people who can't say no to buying a $4000 vacuum.

Some of them are old people getting conned into buying it and these are pretty sad but there are a lot of them are dumbass suburban moms who just don't know how to kick someone out of their house:

quote:

Today, at about 1 pm shortly after my husband left for work, a young lady knocked on my door. Usually I don't answer the door--but, she knocked just like my brother so I thought it was him. She handed me a bottle of cleaning product and before I even knew what was happening a young man hopped out of the van and grabbed two boxes and they were pushing their way into my house.

They gave me the same spiel about a contest and how they just needed to do a quick demo and the new guy would get paid. The lady takes off and leaves the guy at my house. I told him straight off, I have a son at football practice, the team is going for lunch after practice then I need to pick him up. He says 'Oh it'll be quick and so he played with my dogs and spent forever hooking things up and taking them apart and 'cleaning' small areas with every single flipping attachment. Meanwhile, it is now 2 pm and my son texts me and says he's done with lunch and practice.

I told the demonstrator SEVERAL times that I HAD to go pick up my son from the school. We live 20 mins from his school, walking home is not feasible. He continued on with his spiel as if I said NOTHING. I texted my friend freaking out about needing to leave and that I was stuck. She couldn't help me out, her car was broken down and her husband had the other. So she sent my other son and her son down to my house to tell me that Son #2 NEEDED to be picked up. They got to my house and the demonstrator introduces himself and seems all nice. My sons says LOUDLY, 'Mom, T needs you to pick him up, he's been waiting for an hour already'. The demonstrator got kind of short and says 'Oh yeah we're almost finished' and carries on.

Meanwhile I'm trying to find my kid a way home because it's 3...then 3:30...then FINALLY he calls his people he was riding with and says he needs to finish up so I can pick up my son. An HOUR AND A HALF after I first told him. So, the lady shows up again and then offers me several prices. Makes me feel guilty about not wanting her cool vacuum and this guy's stupid trip. I tell her I can't commit to such a large purchase without talking to my husband. She tells me that he'd just be like 'Oh well do you like it, I don't care if we get it' because that's how ALL husband's are.

Finally she gets down to $50 down and 54 a month. At 4:30, my child has now been waiting for TWO AND A HALF HOURS. Her response is, "aw a little extra practice won't hurt him." He's NOT practicing! He's sitting at a school by himself! She still has to make phone calls for financing and stuff. First call she makes, they say no--but, there's another avenue she says. But they'll come back in one hour so I can go get my kid. FINALLY they pack up their stuff and go. At 5 pm. I had finally found someone who could go get him for me. I don't think they came back. I wasn't here because I had stuff to do, but she did call.

My son answered the call while I was at dance with my daughter. Hah. She wants me to call her back?? NOT likely. I didn't give her money and I didn't receive any merchandise so I'm hoping they can't charge my account for anything. I don't like them having our info on the application, but I really just needed them to leave so I could get my kid!! I could not believe the blatant disregard for a child!! He waited for just under 3 hours. Absolutely disgusting. I would never consider buying from them after this experience.

quote:

Having a peaceful night with my family when a guy knocked on our door holding an air freshener. He asked my husband if he could clean our carpets for free. I didn't know about this until the guy came in with boxes. I got annoyed at the moment. He never mentioned about buying or selling... It took 3 hours for this demo and I had no patience at all but my husband and I let him finish. He kept on talking and won't even shut his mouth. Asking many personal questions and getting really comfortable in my house. I didn't like it 'cause he's a stranger!

After the whole demo, it's 8 pm. He finally breaks down payment and stuff. My husband said no but they keep cutting the payment low from $69 to $51 a month... We explained to them that we are in no position to have an extra bill but they won't stop and he had to call his boss to explain the situation! He was in some contest so he had to at least sell! My husband with a good heart agreed to pay $51 a month and the seller tells my husband not to tell others the price! So unfair!

He kept making jokes like he's funny but he wasn't. We are cancelling our order because it's not worth it at all! We can use that $51 to buy diapers and food for our kid than a heavy and complicated vacuum! After hearing we are trying to cancel, he came back asking why we never used the Kirby. Oh my gosh, we have a busy life and we don't have time to use the kirby on everything... so annoying! If they come to your door, tell them no. It will be a waste of 3 hrs of your life! Never doing this again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
weird wild stuff, OP *taps pencil*

*looks around*

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
maybe it gave great suction

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
I work in a bank and people are still falling for the Nigerian Prince Scam.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
I have that vacuum, it's actually pretty good. Used to get Dysons and they wouldn't suck as good after a while (sort of likes OPs mom)

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

I work in a bank and people are still falling for the Nigerian Prince Scam.
in canada some people have been convinced that to pay their federal taxes they need to buy and send iTunes gift cards

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/itunes-gift-card-cra-tax-scam-1.3547507

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
I put my schlong in a vacuum once and dont understand the appeal. Never did it again. Didn't even boner.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Kuato posted:

I have that vacuum, it's actually pretty good. Used to get Dysons and they wouldn't suck as good after a while (sort of likes OPs mom)

Did you get it on the payment plan or did you pay 4000$ upfront

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
How is getting someone to leave a problem in America? Pull your drat gun and tell them to gently caress off.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i have this fine vacuum to sell you, it can vacuum this entire bridge in one charge, which i will toss in for the low price of $46 million, or just $100,000 a month for quite some time

The_end
May 17, 2014
Rainbow vacuums does this in home door to door pitch as well.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

The rainbow vacuum system is essentially a MLM/pyramid scheme. they sell people the vacuums for $4000 then tell them that they can get it for free if they just demo it to 12 more people and of course that never works out:

quote:

We finished our ride along program. Now they're telling us that only 9 demos counted because we had renters that watched the demo and didn't keep it or kept it. So they're refusing to give us our money. I feel like this was a scam. We did this program for nothing. I like the Rainbow but by no means is it worth $3498.00. So now they only communicate through email and won't listen. Very rude, refusing to give me the money that is owed to us.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Tell them you'll give them some time for their spiel, but first you want them to listen to your screenplay.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
A girl I used to work with had a Kirby salesman give her and her husband the spiel, and they bought the vacuum. The guy said he'd start billing their card but it never happened so they got it for free.

My grandma used to buy anything that anyone at her church was selling. When she died, there was a Rainbow and all it's attachments still boxed up in one of her closets. I threw it on eBay and got $2900, which is crazy.

I've gone through like 3 Dysons, and they do lose suction over time, despite what the ads day. Now I just use my grandma's old Electrolux canister vacuum, because that thing can still suck the drywall off the studs. You have to buy the bags online, but you get like 200 bags for 10 bucks.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

I put my schlong in a vacuum once and dont understand the appeal. Never did it again. Didn't even boner.

You have to have the boner first, then stick it in the hose. You're not using the rotating bristle head, are you?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I've never understood why "No sorry not interested" while simultaneously closing the door isn't the default response for everyone when someone comes hawking. They should teach this in schools.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

Homer J. Fong posted:

Did you get it on the payment plan or did you pay 4000$ upfront

Some jabroni on Craigslist sold it for cheap

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS
WAP makes the best vacuums. Our one from the 80's is still sucking up a storm and is essentially indestructible

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
A few years ago two young (like 19ish) girls came to my house in the middle of nowhere and asked if I wanted to buy some magazine subscriptions. I told them I didn't have any cash and they said they'd get a bonus if we'd all drive to the ATM together and that's when I noticed they didn't have a car and looking back on it I think they were going to kill me.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

plain blue jacket posted:

WAP makes the best vacuums. Our one from the 80's is still sucking up a storm and is essentially indestructible

whats his name

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

I prefer to suck up the dirt myself.

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Dysons are creaky lightweight plastic turds that cost $500 and break in 2 years. But they're expensive so they must be good

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Hello I am JOHN from Microsoft technical services and your computer is sending viruses. You need to fix these as it is illegal to have viruses and you could go to jail. ~said in thick indian accent~

Old people fall for this one all the time.

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS

hth posted:

whats his name

Freddie

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Skeleton Ape posted:

Dysons are creaky lightweight plastic turds that cost $500 and break in 2 years. But they're expensive so they must be good

Agreed. They do work really well in the beginning, and the attachments are all really handy instead of just one of two, so it's easy to get sold on them at first. When I bought my first one I also bought one for my mom and sister each. My mom and I have soured on them by now, but my sister is still hooked. She recently bought one of the ball ones and when I noticed it she said "look how easy it turns!" and then proceeded to nearly pull her arm out of socket trying to make it turn under the sofa like in the commercial.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

:clint:*knock* can I come in to show you $expensivething$

:colbert: No, gtfo.

This generally seems to work, if someone is pushy

:colbert: "I'm calling the police"

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I can't leave the poor vacuum salesman out in the weather....... nature abhors a vacuum!! :iamafag:

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I've gotten strangers just pushing their way into my car and telling me I need to drive them somewhere because its an emergency. I need to just sign up and become an Uber driver.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
a guy i used to work with in Arkansas got scammed into buying new windows.
for his house.
on payments.
through a pyramid scheme.

He tried to convince me to do it too "Yeah just put me down and I get a $200 referral, i'll split it with you" lol

He was jesusy, born-again, and those types of people are addicted to MLMs. in 18 months i watched he and/or his wife get roped into pyramiding:

-Windows
-Scentsy
-Alkaline water

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Whenever someone annoying comes to the door I say, "Make it snappy, I gotta take a huge poo poo."

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Years back, I almost got a job as a Kirby salesman. The thing is that it wasn't so much a door-to-door job, in that you'd go to homes uninvited, but one that worked on leads. You would have them call you, you get loaded into a van, and go to their door and show them the vacuum cleaner and make the sale. At least that's what we were told, as I didn't even show up for that first day.

Also, Kirby's have dedicated repair locations, they have to when you're buying a $4000 vacuum cleaner. However, most people would rather just buy a vacuum cleaner for $60-$100 and run it till it breaks.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Yes I wonder why the sort of grown adults who become born again Christians are susceptible to scams and MLMs.

Correlation or causation you be the judge.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

quote:

An ex-friend, who is my neighbor, begged me continually to have the salesperson come over and do a demo. After cleaning my house extensively, the neighbor, the salesman and another man enter my home. I only said A salesman can come over... unsettling feeling begins. They start the Demo with checking out and commenting on the things in my home. He called me "HONEY" too and was quite flamboyant! (No ONE calls me HONEY!)

Then of course turning to my husband faking they know something about his career. (CLUELESS) They talk fast for a reason. They are diverting your attention as the insert dirt packs in the hoses and nozzles. My husband pulled it out during the "Demo". The neighbor was in on the "demo" too. As she was rambling nervously and saying hurry up I have to go to church. Don't talk during the "Demo", talking over me as I am talking to my husband and when I went outside THE SALESMAN was talking loudly in front of my home about how nasty my house was.

I walked outside, lit my cigarette. My neighbor reminds me how she HAS TO go to church. I told them it was a no go as my neighbor is burning in hell in my house apparently, and I had other Adult plans in my future. Commented on his Lexus and he said it was his third. I asked "Did you wreck the previous two?" Matter of fact, yes! I said "Well, you need to learn how to take CARE OF the things you work hard for!" He packed up and commenced to say negative things outside of my home, at which point, I closed and locked my door. I called my neighbor and she laughed. I said... "This isn't a joke... When you decide to wear your big girl panties, CALL ME! DO NOT LET THE HUSBAND WIFE ACT IN YOUR HOME! He was pushy and casing my home!

quote:

I met a lady at my place of work. Was super posh and a happy person altogether. I noticed multiple boxes in her car with bright colors and by this point I was comfortable enough to ask her what they were. She had been our customer for over a year and I would have liked to think we had that consumer company relationship most business strive for. She told me she sold Rainbow and would love to give me a presentation. She had mentioned something about a humidifier so I assumed that is what she was selling. We agreed to a time where she could come down and thus it started. She showed us the humidifier two days later and told us it was a gift. I was shocked, so sweet! Then she brought out the vacuum. We told her outright we were not going to get it. She insisted on showing us anyway. Not wanting to hurt her feels we agreed to see what it could do.

I honestly fell in love with the product, but it felt like she was trying to sell my mom, not so much me. The price was ridiculous, and they only offered 600 for our Kirby, which had originally costed almost the same price as the Rainbow. Around 3200. However, me and my mother seriously debated getting it. We talked for nearly 20 minutes before deciding against it. I wouldn't pay for more than 1800, no vacuum is worth more than 2 grand. The lady left in a storm. I apologized for wasting her time, offered the humidifier back, even offered to give her referrals. She stated she didn't need customers, and left in a huff. Two weeks later... she began attacking me at work. Claims I ruined her; lied to her; even stole her merchandise. My bosses came up to me and told me the accusations. I was mortified. I am mortified. The attacks continue. I gave the humidifier to my boss to return. And at this point I fear for my safety. I am disgusted.

The_end
May 17, 2014

tenspott posted:

Whenever someone annoying comes to the door I say, "Make it snappy, I gotta take a huge poo poo."

I do not open the door anymore. I just yell from the couch demanding them to identify themselves. If it is someone i invited over i let them in. Strangers or unexpected guest can go gently caress themselves.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Outrail posted:

Yes I wonder why the sort of grown adults who become born again Christians are susceptible to scams and MLMs.

Correlation or causation you be the judge.

There's not much question about it. MLM's prey on evangelical communities because said communities a: are comprised of extended family/friend networks, b: have an air of us-vs-them that translates well into one-weird-old-tip-THEY-dont-want-you-to-know, c: are full of marks will spend a lot of money to save Face. its a recipe for pyramid success

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

what kind of loving moron buys a vacuum that costs multiple thousands of dollars and doesn't have a seat and steering wheel

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

same, it sucked

Homer J. Fong posted:

The rainbow vacuum system is essentially a MLM/pyramid scheme. they sell people the vacuums for $4000 then tell them that they can get it for free if they just demo it to 12 more people and of course that never works out:

also what's up with people like this who don't just lol and call their CC company and do a charge back?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
e: quote is not edit

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

seriously just get an oreck and call it a day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU