Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shoophobo
Aug 30, 2013

"shoophobo? more like shittyposter!" :grin:

Fallen Rib

The Bananana posted:

Idk, I like to use it if the rain starts to fall very hard and I start to be at risk of hydroplaning if I don't significantly reduce my speed. :shrug:

William Stoner posted:

I single blink my hazards to say "thank you" to the person behind me.
Is this not common?

Holy poo poo you fuckmen. The hazard lights are to tell other drivers you are a hazard or need assistance.
When it rains turn your headlights on, they are more visible then hazards and they also turn your taillights on a dim setting, making it easier for those behind you to gage distance. Also your turn signals can actually be used. (Unless you're one of those people who doesn't use turn signals, then double gently caress you)

If you want to thank another driver just wave.

Christ no wonder people die driving sober.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Open your loving goddamn window and present your own loving hand in a sign of thanks.

Jesus loving Christ, this isn't Golgotha.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

shoophobo posted:

Holy poo poo you fuckmen. The hazard lights are to tell other drivers you are a hazard or need assistance.
When it rains turn your headlights on, they are more visible then hazards and they also turn your taillights on a dim setting, making it easier for those behind you to gage distance. Also your turn signals can actually be used. (Unless you're one of those people who doesn't use turn signals, then double gently caress you)

If you want to thank another driver just wave.

Christ no wonder people die driving sober.

I don't think they were being serious

I mean, nobody could be that rock loving stupid

our schools cannot have failed us that badly

right? please

clam the FUCK down
Dec 20, 2013

Following the 3 second rule is important.

What do you all think of this guys strategy for traffic? I think he is a saint.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHPXUokcblU

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

William Stoner posted:

didnt you see all the people that pulled into the gap he left, though? that's what, 5, 10 cars? think of how much faster you could get to your destination

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
yeah the dudes a idiot for not bearing down right on the bubmper of the car in front of him to display his dominance and to remind him to speed up

plus then you only need to worry about 1 direction: the front, the most important view

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

William Stoner posted:

He's just propagating the delay behind him which makes it worse because he refuses to do his part in taking up slack in the train. If you go a quarter mile or so back his lane will be stopped because of what he's doing.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

i hope a furious trucker murders you op

shoophobo
Aug 30, 2013

"shoophobo? more like shittyposter!" :grin:

Fallen Rib
its almost like they designed the highway with multiple lanes so people could drive at different speeds in the same direction!
Something about "passing on the left, cruising on the right"
But gently caress me I don't know.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Rules for highway driving:

-Go fast. If someone behind you is going faster than you go right step by step until you hit the right hand lane.
-If you don't like the right hand lane because traffic merges there then too loving bad, deal with it, you're too slow to be loving everyone else up in the other lanes you like to go in. Peace of mind is only for people who aren't pieces of poo poo. Stay in the right lane if you're slow.
-Pass at a differential. If you're in cruise just press on the gas until you pass if you are barely moving relative to the car next to you. You should never creep past someone to your right. No, you're not already going fast enough. No, it's not unsafe to add literally two more miles an hour to your cruising speed.
-If you are creeping up one someone and your piece of poo poo car can't go any faster at the current time because of a hill or because it's a piece of poo poo don't pass. Your cruise control has an incrementer on it, press the - sign twice and you will lose 2mph and sync up with your lane.
-Don't drive in the far left lane unless you're the fastest car in that lane. If there are roads making lefts onto the highway do not stay in the left hand lane at all unless forced to by congestion as people need that lane to make a left into.
-If you drive a hick truck put mudflaps on the loving thing
-If you're in line for the exit and someone tries zoom past and cut into the lane it's your duty to block them out. If they're too stupid or inattentive to notice the exit line gently caress 'em. If they're from out of town gently caress 'em. They can go catch the next exit and loop back around.

raton fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jul 28, 2016

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

The Bananana posted:

:chloe:

The lights aren't to prevent me from hydroplaning, idiot.

theyre to increase my visibility to drivers behind me who may still be travelling too fast, and might not otherwise have seen me in the heavy rain, which has reduced visibility.

You're a dumb oval office turn off your hazards. Your brake lights turn on as running lights when your headlights are on, their brightness level is regulated to provide for the situation you're describing.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Sheep-Goats posted:

You're a dumb oval office turn off your hazards. Your brake lights turn on as running lights when your headlights are on, their brightness level is regulated to provide for the situation you're describing.

Obviously you have your lights on when it's raining. Like he said, the hazards are just extra visibility. Most people only use them in severe weather where everybody is a hazard because you can't see poo poo beyond a few feet in front of you. I've driven where I see the person's hazards in front of me before I see their lit tail-lights, so they are helpful. Plus everyone does it in those rare situations, so following the "rules" is probably more dangerous since everyone's expecting your hazards to be on.

That said, you're pretty much only going to experience those conditions during bad tropical storms or hurricanes, and the times when you'll be on the interstate during those situations is hopefully few and far between, so for most parts of the country and most storms you're right, but there are situations where I think it's fine to be a "dumb oval office" like that.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Murphy Brownback posted:

Obviously you have your lights on when it's raining. Like he said, the hazards are just extra visibility. Most people only use them in severe weather where everybody is a hazard because you can't see poo poo beyond a few feet in front of you. I've driven where I see the person's hazards in front of me before I see their lit tail-lights, so they are helpful. Plus everyone does it in those rare situations, so following the "rules" is probably more dangerous since everyone's expecting your hazards to be on.

That said, you're pretty much only going to experience those conditions during bad tropical storms or hurricanes, and the times when you'll be on the interstate during those situations is hopefully few and far between, so for most parts of the country and most storms you're right, but there are situations where I think it's fine to be a "dumb oval office" like that.

No, it's bad and wrong to have your hazards on while on the highway ever, unless you see an accident ahead or are stopped at the side of the road. If the weather is so bad that you can't see brake lights ahead of you (and therefore if your lights are inadequate behind) you should exit and stop, or if far from an exit pull on to the shoulder and stop.

Hazards aren't "extra visibility." They mean something. You can't just turn them on and drive around like that.

If you live in some place where everyone does this you live in a region of morons. It's illegal in some states.

If your hazards are on you can no longer use your turn signal. This is going to cause more problems than having your hazards on fixes (which is none).

raton fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jul 28, 2016

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

William Stoner posted:

This is actually how I drive if there is traffic. People constantly move in front of me and I just adjust and continue on with the same stopping distance.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Waltzing Along posted:

This is actually how I drive if there is traffic. People constantly move in front of me and I just adjust and continue on with the same stopping distance.

You drive like a paralytic mong.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Sheep-Goats posted:

-If you're in line for the exit and someone tries zoom past and cut into the lane it's your duty to block them out. If they're too stupid or inattentive to notice the exit line gently caress 'em. If they're from out of town gently caress 'em. They can go catch the next exit and loop back around.

amen brother

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAlSskuIWHE lmao

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Sheep-Goats posted:

You drive like a paralytic mong.

I will compress all my farts into a solid, freeze them, then gently caress your eyesockets with the frozen fart dildo.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

If I am driving on the interstate through a hurricane I have somewhere important to be, it could take hours for it to pass by. I know from experience the people who don't turn them on are harder to see. Yes they have a purpose, but it's fine to use them for a non-traditional purpose if the situation calls for it. I don't care if it makes some dude on the internet quake in rage, but I'll do it anyway because I don't want to die and it's the expected thing to do (at least based on my driving experience in florida). I've even seen cops do it, so like I said if they want to pull me over and ticket me, go for it, but most people just want to get out of that situation as soon as possible.

e: also if you're on the interstate, where are you going to be turning? For an exit, sure, but it takes 5 seconds to turn off the hazards and put on your turn signal. Otherwise you absolutely should not be turning/changing lanes unless you want to kill somebody.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Murphy Brownback posted:

driving on the interstate through a hurricane

get hosed

e: lol you're in Florida where it's expressly illegal to do what you do http://www.nbc-2.com/story/29645388/using-hazard-lights-in-the-rain-is-it-legal

You think you're the only person here who's ever been in a hurricane like downpour? If you can't see brakelights adequately you stop driving, you don't just turn on your hazards.

raton fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jul 28, 2016

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

What? Bad weather doesn't mean you can just take a vacation from work, and they often make unexpected turns so it's not like you wake up thinking "yeah I'm going to drive through that today". It just happens sometimes.

e: obviously I'm not talking about like a category 5 here, most of the time by the time they're inland they are just weak category 1s or tropical storms which are usually fine to be out during as long as you're not going right through the center of it.

yeah I eat ass fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jul 28, 2016

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I'll blow a hurricane of poo poo out my window if you drive with your blinkers on or tailgate me.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

so wait, who is legally at fault in that video?

like I know the trucker sped up like a shithead, and I know the vw merged like a shithead, but in a court who gets shafted?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Murphy Brownback posted:

What? Bad weather doesn't mean you can just take a vacation from work, and they often make unexpected turns so it's not like you wake up thinking "yeah I'm going to drive through that today". It just happens sometimes.

"Hey boss I can't get in to work on time today."

"What? Why?"

"There's a literal hurricane and I can't see the cars in front of me so I can't drive in."

====

If it's not the above situation then brake lights are adequate.

Stop using your hazards you fucken goof.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Sheep-Goats posted:

Stop using your hazards you fucken goof.

I will whenever everyone else on the road decides not to. Post all the laws you want I don't care, it's not hurting anybody - it's not like when I do it I have people trying to come "assist" me. They know why I'm doing it and they are doing it too so who cares.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Whats the deal with people from behind pulling up next to your car on the next highway lane over and peering over at you?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Ruggan posted:

so wait, who is legally at fault in that video?

like I know the trucker sped up like a shithead, and I know the vw merged like a shithead, but in a court who gets shafted?

In cases like that fault is almost always on the person changing lanes, not the person who is in a lane. It's not expressly illegal to speed up but it is expressly illegal to change lanes unsafely. Of course the video in this case shows that both are at fault and if adjudicated fairly in court or if both drivers have the same insurance company what sometimes happens is they do split on fault -- like "you're 70% liable, you're 30% liable, total damages are $XXXX for A and XXX for B, so on balance A pays B XXX" with the most common split by far being 50/50. In some states you're not allowed to split liability and if it's winner take all or if the video didn't exist the woman in the car would be 100% liable 100% of the time here.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Murphy Brownback posted:

If I am driving on the interstate through a hurricane I have somewhere important to be, it could take hours for it to pass by. I know from experience the people who don't turn them on are harder to see. Yes they have a purpose, but it's fine to use them for a non-traditional purpose if the situation calls for it. I don't care if it makes some dude on the internet quake in rage, but I'll do it anyway because I don't want to die and it's the expected thing to do (at least based on my driving experience in florida). I've even seen cops do it, so like I said if they want to pull me over and ticket me, go for it, but most people just want to get out of that situation as soon as possible.

e: also if you're on the interstate, where are you going to be turning? For an exit, sure, but it takes 5 seconds to turn off the hazards and put on your turn signal. Otherwise you absolutely should not be turning/changing lanes unless you want to kill somebody.

Yeah as someone who has to go over mountain passes every time he wants to visit his family I feel like it's pretty common for people to use their hazard lights during particularly bad weather conditions, I don't think it's super necessary and don't really do it myself but I've seen it regularly enough.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Murphy Brownback posted:

I will whenever everyone else on the road decides not to. Post all the laws you want I don't care, it's not hurting anybody - it's not like when I do it I have people trying to come "assist" me. They know why I'm doing it and they are doing it too so who cares.

You aren't hurting anybody yet but statistically your aberrant behavior is a net negative and does hurt people. Hence it being illegal in your state and many others. I'm not going to be able to convince you you're wrong since A) you're obviously impaired to have come to the "hazards in a hurricane" conclusion you have, B) you're probably operating from a poor baseline due to Florida residency to begin with and C) your wandering and inconsistent justifications for what it obviously the kind of behavior we'd expect from a drunk fourteen year old at a roller rink rather than an adult person.

ArbitraryC posted:

Yeah as someone who has to go over mountain passes every time he wants to visit his family I feel like it's pretty common for people to use their hazard lights during particularly bad weather conditions, I don't think it's super necessary and don't really do it myself but I've seen it regularly enough.

It's bad and wrong. I grew up going over some of the worst passes in the country, ones that regularly get closed during the winter, and have gone over them many times in awful weather. Never would hazards have been a benefit and not being able to turn them on if I saw an accident ahead (because I already had them on) or to lose the ability to use my turn signal would have been so much worse.

e: on the interstate you use your turn signals for lane changes and exits, both times when it can be pretty meaningful to be able to use them

raton fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jul 28, 2016

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

poisonpill posted:

Whats the deal with people from behind pulling up next to your car on the next highway lane over and peering over at you?

This is what happens when you are too pretty.

Turn your hazards on and stick to the right hand lane.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Sheep-Goats posted:

You aren't hurting anybody yet but statistically your aberrant behavior is a net negative and does hurt people. Hence it being illegal in your state and many others. I'm not going to be able to convince you you're wrong since A) you're obviously impaired to have come to the "hazards in a hurricane" conclusion you have, B) you're probably operating from a poor baseline due to Florida residency to begin with and C) your wandering and inconsistent justifications for what it obviously the kind of behavior we'd expect from a drunk fourteen year old at a roller rink rather than an adult person.

:thurman:

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
Also I dunno how common this is everywhere else but on wa highways/freeways I see a lot of truckers use their hazards to indicate they're going notably slower than the average flow of traffic. Not like ones in the city or anything like that but long stretches out in the middle of nowhere. It seems like a commonly understood thing when you see them doing it they're basically saying 'hey be careful I'm a rolling obstacle on the road'

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

poisonpill posted:

are you a girl or are you a really bad driver or are you just making a joke I don't get

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Sheep-Goats posted:

It's bad and wrong. I grew up going over some of the worst passes in the country, ones that regularly get closed during the winter, and have gone over them many times in awful weather. Never would hazards have been a benefit and not being able to turn them on if I saw an accident ahead (because I already had them on) or to lose the ability to use my turn signal would have been so much worse.
*shrug* I dunno what to tell you as I said it's never something I've done myself I've just noticed it's moderately common when I get stuck on the pass in bad weather.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
I love the people that swerve between lanes who will pop their turn signal for a quick blink when they've already moved over, and are getting ready to do it again.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I just don't think "b-b-but it's illegal" is a good reason to abandon what is an incredibly common practice that many people find helpful, whether it actually is or isn't. I acknowledge it's against the law, but when you see cops regularly doing it, it's pretty safe to assume it's not something they enforce/take seriously.

I also already acknowledged the situations where most people would agree it's justified are rare. Over the past 15+ years of driving I've only seen it happen maybe ~8 times. Settle down.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Ruggan posted:

are you a girl or are you a really bad driver or are you just making a joke I don't get

i'm either a bad driver or its the girl in the car with me but apparently this is only happening to me

also whats the deal with cars loaded with people in horrible traffic that aren't in the hov lanes

whats the deal with roadstop peanuts

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

poisonpill posted:

i'm either a bad driver or its the girl in the car with me but apparently this is only happening to me

also whats the deal with cars loaded with people in horrible traffic that aren't in the hov lanes

whats the deal with roadstop peanuts

Sometimes if someone is going ridiculously slower than they should be I'll take a look over when I pass just to see if they're doing something dumb but most of the time it's just some geezer who probably shouldn't have a license anymore. Occasionally you see some ridiculous poo poo tho, like I straight up saw a lady doing makeup with one hand and on her phone with the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Murphy Brownback posted:

I just don't think "b-b-but it's illegal" is a good reason to abandon what is an incredibly common practice that many people find helpful, whether it actually is or isn't.

I'm pretty sure my main reasons were that it's bad, dumb, and mildly dangerous and that that's why it's illegal. That a mass of our nations dimmest bulbs have all stared copying their Idiot King in their habits isn't really a good reason to keep doing it.

raton fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jul 28, 2016

• Locked thread