Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Why don't they just start simple with a regular train and see if people take it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

BigBadSteve posted:

Yes, if the hyperloop train develops a crack while in transit, the near-vacuum in the tube will cause everything to be sucked right out of the train and out of you, including your poo poo and guts.

So I shouldn't flush the hyperloop train toilet while sitting on it?

bleep.bloop
Jun 19, 2016

Oh, dear leader!

notZaar posted:

Why don't they just start simple with a regular train and see if people take it?

That's a stupid idea and you're stupid for having said it.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

so its cheaper than the other options

and faster

and it will generate it's own power. so much power it will be a net gain

and the tickets will be affordable

seems legit. where do i invest all my life savings?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

notZaar posted:

because

I'm Crap posted:

hyperloop is a way of creating FUD around any proposed transportation infrastructure projects so that musk can sell more cars in the mean time

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

so its cheaper than the other options

and faster

and it will generate it's own power. so much power it will be a net gain

and the tickets will be affordable

seems legit. where do i invest all my life savings?

all that plus it will also suck your dick

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
How is the cost of building and maintaining and guarding a giant vacuum tube going to offset what you save in reduced air drag on the train. This idea is retarded.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

ArbitraryC posted:

While I don't disagree with any of the stuff the guy is saying I think it is possible that there'd be ways to get around those kinds of problems. For example thermal expansion is a real thing but expansion joints aren't the literally only solution, railroads for example often weld the steel tracks under tension so they're spec'ed to withstand the normal affects of expansion. His visual aids for demonstrating the force of something under a near vaccuum was cute but kind of pointless because they already have designed the tubes to withstand that pressure, similarly his comment about the amount of steel involved puts this in perspective certainly but presumably materials has already been factored in as part of the estimated costs.

His most valid point is that such a large structure would have a lot of points of failure and any one of them going wrong would probably gently caress everything over which is certainly pretty fair and I think would be the biggest stumbling block for the idea. The engineering behind it could certainly be developed with time and effort as there's nothing wrong with the idea but making sure it's safe and reasonable for regular use seems pretty insurmountable due to how catastrophic even minor failures would be when working under that much of a vacuum.

elon "elon musk" musk wants to build this thing in a fault zone

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

notZaar posted:

How is the cost of building and maintaining and guarding a giant vacuum tube going to offset what you save in reduced air drag on the train. This idea is retarded.

this idea is from the 70s

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
i think that video is poo poo, that guy is the anita sarkeezian of science

someone should investigate his patreon where is the money i demand to know

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Why would you need a hyper loop when you can take the Solar Freaking Highway?

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the what

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

hyperloop doesn't use a vacuum, like holy poo poo how do you mess up that really basic fact

PromethiumX
Mar 5, 2003
Yes. The hyperloop is bullshit. Along with all of Musks other claims / business ventures.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
i remember back when paypal was new and he wanted to make it into basically bitcoin before bitcoin. then the government stepped in and welll

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
also has anyone said hyperpoop yet?

mods knew

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
What happens when I get sucked of off in the sucktube?

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

Champenema posted:

You do a hyperloop all over the floor

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Champenema posted:

hypergoop

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Elon *rocket launches and docks with ISS* is *Falcon does a controlled landing on a ship's deck* a *Tesla explodes into the marketplace* CHARLATAN *share prices continue to climb*

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

he's putting on some weight

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
remember when goons were like 'BITCOIN IS UTTER BULLSHIT ANYONE WHO BUYS BUTTCOIN IS A loving RETARD FOOL RETARD' when they were like 10 BTC per $0.01 and then they exploded to $300 per after the Greek banking crisis and people cashed the gently caress out and goons were like 'oh but you won't be able to cash out haha!'

meanwhile my friend bought a new car with his $50k he got from that poo poo

yeah it's never going to be successful as a 'currency' and yeah it's been taken over by chinese fraudsters but at the time man you guys read that one completely loving wrong

lesson to be learned is goons don't know poo poo all

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Moridin920 posted:

yeah it's never going to be successful as a 'currency' and yeah it's been taken over by chinese fraudsters but

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
uh yeah but at the time it was an easy opportunity to fleece rubes and ya'll were so scared of being said rubes that you wouldn't dip your toes in at all out of fear that Bitcoins were going to sodomize you

Kudaros
Jun 23, 2006

I'm Crap posted:

hyperloop is a way of creating FUD around any proposed transportation infrastructure projects so that musk can sell more cars in the mean time

What is FUD?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
lol forever at defending bitcoins or the muskman

Postcount
Sep 10, 2002

I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear.

Moridin920 posted:

lesson to be learned is goons don't know poo poo all

We are collective ignorance. Fear us.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

notZaar posted:

Or with a regular train with a hoover straped to the front. As its going along, turn the hoover on and you will be creating a little bit of a vacuum making the train go faster!

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

the falcon 9 is a hoax

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Why can't someone invent something actually useful, like a device the selectively wipes out west coast startup techies?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

k well I learned my lesson and bought TSLA on the brexit dip while ya'll are handwringing about Musk and autopilot murder cars and that poo poo is already up 18 points so you can suck my dick you fuckman

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jul 28, 2016

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

etalian posted:

Why can't someone invent something actually useful, like a device the selectively wipes out west coast startup techies?

china's carbon emissions are well on track to achieve this goal, but at the same time they're buying west coast real estate...

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Moridin920 posted:

k well I learned my lesson and bought TSLA on the brexit dip while ya'll are handwringing about Musk and autopilot murder cars and that poo poo is already up 18 points so you can suck my dick you fuckman

lmao at buying individual stocks

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
see what I mean lol

whatever dog

I'll say to you exactly what I said to those Bus/Fin goons who were being drildos:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
"Don't buy Smith & Wesson right after a big shooting or right before Hillary is gonna talk a ton about gun control, picking individual stocks is stupid!"

I mean I'd agree if it was penny stock and microcap bullshit but it's not. It's seeing the Pentagon dump poo poo tons of money after F35 regardless of how crap the plane is and loling and buying Lockheed Martin.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
poo poo. Gonna set up a notification system to tell me when goons are talking poo poo about a company.

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
Is this hyperloop thing a way to get a whole bunch of terrible tech ppl into a small enclosed space? Because that could be useful.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ork of Fiction posted:

Is this hyperloop thing a way to get a whole bunch of terrible tech ppl into a small enclosed space? Because that could be useful.

yeah, and they're going at like 500-600 mph too how could you not love that

turn techies into red paste

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
He's just trying to create the infrastructure for mega-city 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
in the future foreskin will be used as currency

• Locked thread