Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.
:siren: THE GEE I HOPE SOMEONE ELSE HERE LIKES PHISH THREAD :siren:

Phish is a rock-oriented jam band, formed in Burlington, VT in 1983. They have been active from 1983-2000, from 2003-2004, and from 2009 to the present. They're one of the biggest touring acts in the United States and are probably the biggest cult band ever. They're known for their musicality, and have been sloganed as "The Greatful Dead 2.0", though their musical stylings are quite different, incorporating elements from a plethora of genres, including jazz, blues, Latin, reggae, and bluegrass. Their following is apt to study them closely and pick out patterns wherever they can be found, in sets, in songs, in jams. Each band member has 15 nicknames.

They are:
Ernest Joseph "Trey" Anastasio III, guitarist and vocalist,
Jon Fishman, drummer and vocalist,
Mike Gordon, bassist and vocalist, and
Page Samuel McConnell, keyboardist and vocalist.

:bravo2: I haven't heard of their exploits since 1997, what's changed? :bravo2:
After a bit of a meltdown following their iconic 12/31/1999 show at the Big Cypress Seminole Reservation coupled with the band's (mostly Trey's) drug problems, they took a hiatus from mid-2000 to New Year's Eve 2002. Because the premises were that it wasn't permanent, no one's drug problem got any better, so they announced a "permanent" breakup, to take place after their last festival in Coventry, which was a mess. Trey eventually got clean (admittedly, after hitting rock bottom after a DWI) and the band reunited in 2009, and have been doing great since, releasing three new albums, currently working on a fourth. People continue to complain, don't worry.

:kingsley: Actually, I'm new and would like to begin devoting my entire waking life to this band now, where do I start? :kingsley:

A Live One. It's where many phans started, and for good reason.

Then, the festivals and NYE shows are a good place to get a feel of shows, songs, and their respective structures and patterns, and the shows are usually top-notch. They've had a few festivals over the years, which are sort of like prolonged musical orgasms that take place over two or three days. The last one was called Magnaball, and you can listen to the first show here.

:siren: USEFUL LINKS AND RESOURCES :siren:
http://phish.com ***OFFICIAL***
http://phish.net
http://reddit.com/r/phish
http://phish.in (Stream 99.9% of Phish shows!)

Tweezer Reprise fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Aug 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

Reserving.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I was really into Phish like 20 years ago and gradually became less and less into them over the years and these days a lot of their longer jams just sound like pointless filler to me, especially when Trey solos.

But I still have my old tapes and I still have a favorite YEM: Pittsburgh 10-18-1996. Good Maze that night too.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jul 28, 2016

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

i liked wrigley night 2, both gorge nights, and chula. Chances are high for a sit in with phil less and friends this weekend. cheers brah

edit: also chances for fall tour dates in the south are pretty high, ahh yeah

An Apple A Gay fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jul 28, 2016

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

RIP Harris Wittels.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012
New Phish thread? New Phish thread. I haven't seen them in a couple years, but I'm looking forward to more dates in the southeast.

On occasion, LivePhish has free live samplers available on their website.

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

Riosan posted:

New Phish thread? New Phish thread.

Riosan posted:

New Phish thread? New Phish thread. I haven't seen them in a couple years, but I'm looking forward to more dates in the southeast.

the south seems to be getting the shaft as of late. also, i can't say i vastly prefer board recordings over audience ones, most of the time! the cheering is like half the fun!

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The Old Phish thread was fun to live post during new years, and then occasionally bitch about Phish until they'd do something great and then talk about how great Phish is.

What i'm saying is, Phish.

I haven't listened to a show since I dunno the 2014 tweezer show, any hot shows I've missed?

Stato-Masochist
Aug 22, 2010

the air is fresh, there's plenty of parking, plenty of space to walk around

LordPants posted:

The Old Phish thread was fun to live post during new years, and then occasionally bitch about Phish until they'd do something great and then talk about how great Phish is.

I haven't listened to a show since I dunno the 2014 tweezer show, any hot shows I've missed?

Halloween 2014 had an out of left field band costume set, and is all around a solid show.

Summer '15 brought some heat, for sure:
7/31/15
8/04/15 (Return of the Mike's "2nd Jam" and a sick heavy metal Weekapaug)
8/12/15 (5 song second set with a next level Twist)
8/15/15
Magnaball is top to bottom incredible, the first two nights especially so.

The New Year's Run was overall really great, too, 1/1/16 excepted.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

caligulamprey posted:

RIP Harris Wittels.

Our tour guide through the Cosmos!

...Sorry...

:(

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

LordPants posted:

8/21/15
8/22/15
8/23/15
9/6/15
1/2/16

Are pretty much required.

Edit: One off! Oops.

Tweezer Reprise fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Aug 3, 2016

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

studio chat: their new album is done, it's probably got Mercury, Blaze On etc. on it. I really dug the way Feugo sounded, this one'll be just as silky, methinks.

Stato-Masochist
Aug 22, 2010

Are those supposed to be 8s for the first three dates R3M? And I hope Mercury is on the new album because they haven't played the drat thing since Dick's!

Edit: To clarify, Magnaball was 8/21-23/2015, and I'm positive you're not suggesting that the early summer tour shows surpassed it.

Stato-Masochist fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Aug 2, 2016

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012
Phish terr

10/14 North Charleston Coliseum, North Charleston, SC
10/15 North Charleston Coliseum, North Charleston, SC
10/16 Veterans Memorial Arena, Jacksonville, FL
10/18 Ascend Amphitheater, Nashville, TN
10/19 Ascend Amphitheater, Nashville, TN
10/21 Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre at Encore Park, Alpharetta, GA
10/22 Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre at Encore Park, Alpharetta, GA
10/24 Verizon Theatre at Grand Prairie, Grand Prairie, TX
10/25 Verizon Theatre at Grand Prairie, Grand Prairie, TX
10/28 MGM Grand Garden Arena, Las Vegas, NV
10/29 MGM Grand Garden Arena, Las Vegas, NV
10/30 MGM Grand Garden Arena, Las Vegas, NV
10/31 MGM Grand Garden Arena, Las Vegas, NV

Strongly considering those Alpharetta dates, I had a blast there in 2013.

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

Big Swifty posted:

Are those supposed to be 8s for the first three dates R3M? And I hope Mercury is on the new album because they haven't played the drat thing since Dick's!

Edit: To clarify, Magnaball was 8/21-23/2015, and I'm positive you're not suggesting that the early summer tour shows surpassed it.

my bad! fixed

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

CURRENT TOUR CHAT: I actually went to my :siren: first :siren: shows on 7/2 and 7/3! They were really, really great, 7/2 specifically where you had to be there! I had been hooked for the 12 months prior. Still hoping for a f r a c t a l j a m.

Edit: gently caress yeah, fall tour! the rumors were right!

Tweezer Reprise fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Aug 3, 2016

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

Cheap Mexican Labor since the late 80's
Summer 2015 was obscenely good, and Summer 2016 was obscenely mediocre. That's kinda how Phish goes nowadays, though. Win some, lose a lot more, but when they win it's *oh so loving good.*

Out of the 2016 tour, the real keeper set (IMO) is BGCA N2 S2. That set was absolutely glorious, with one of the most fantastic Ghost peaks I've ever heard (and I'll be grumpy that it isn't highlighted noteworth on .net forever) that flawlessly drops into Scents and Subtle Sounds.... Not to mention the Disease, the Fuego, the No Quarter, and then capping the whole loving thing off with Fluffhead. Sweet jesus.

Other than that I thought 2016 was (unfortunately) pretty forgettable. Lots of ripchords, aborted jams, and although Trey was playing very cleanly, he didn't seem confident. I thought Mr Miner covered it all pretty well: http://phishthoughts.com/

Wish I could make any of the Fall dates, though. I still love this band, but I'm not against calling them out when they lay out a mediocre tour. After 2015, 2016 was a bit painful. Seriously... What the gently caress is The Line > Tide Turns > Backwards Down the Number Line > Dem Bones in the 4th quarter of the second set?

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

I think miner's blog is more effective when he goes show by show with the tour instead of an end wrap up, he spent a lot of time on last year's summer, I would've liked more in depth individual show reviews. But any miner is better than no miner.

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

it might just be me but going too indepth into the "objective" quality of sets/shows/tours sort of ruins the good and the bad for me, i just like it all

Stato-Masochist
Aug 22, 2010

I think that the kind of fanbase that Phish has cultivated inevitably lends itself to borderline obsessive scrutiny. That has both it's good points and bad points (yeah, yeah, corny, I know), but it definitely fuels expectations - especially after a year like 2015. It seemed to me like a lot of what people disliked about the tour this year was part of an attempt to break from habits that proved successful for the heights of 3.0, but ultimately have become creatively stale for the band: namely Major key bliss jams that hit an identifiable 'peak'.

I didn't think this tour sucked, but I by no means think it reached the heights of last year. I just think there's a deliberate focus on avoiding falling into a default style that they've already explored, which means reluctance and pulling back because, well, habits are habits. I think this year was a labratory, and it will ultimately produce something new and awesome. But, I don't fault anyone for being disappointed, because frankly I was too. Let's hope the '96 comparisons are accurate on the .net.

All this over-analytical spew aside, I'm pretty on board with R3Ms take; I enjoy it all, really

Stato-Masochist fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Aug 4, 2016

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012
I can't comment on '15 vs '16, I've somehow not listened to Phish for a couple years since I saw them last. I like how Phish inspires their fans to think critically about the music and examine what works and what doesn't, and why. I've had different shows and years recommended to me for different reasons, and I think that's great. I've listened to a lot of '99 simply on good recommendations. I don't see that with other bands, even if it does seem to attract snobbery or Phish fans bashing the show they just saw. I like their sense of experimentation and willingness to throw different things and musical styles at the wall to see what sticks. Some of it does, some of it doesn't; that's the same reason why I like Zappa.

R3M posted:

it might just be me but going too indepth into the "objective" quality of sets/shows/tours sort of ruins the good and the bad for me, i just like it all

I think for the most part you're correct. Arguing that a certain night was better than the next night is mostly silly opinion, but I think there are a small number of objectively inferior shows they've played. Coventry in 2004 comes to mind.

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

coventry2's second set is a bit like phish from hell

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Coventry was my first Phish show. What a miserable experience. We had to pay some gently caress to pull us out of the muddy parking and we were literally coasting on fumes when we got back home. My friend still had Coventry Mud in his car years later, which is kind of funny, I guess.

My sister was at this show https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIOPpiXhldg, unfortunately she's not in that video, which would've been rad though.

I'm one of those weirdos that prefers the studio albums anyway, except Halloween 94, which is kickin rad. I like Story Of The Ghost.

quote:

coventry2's second set is a bit like phish from hell
That Wading was legit sad though

Edit: and then that Glide tho :stare:

Double Edit: I wish I'd gone to IT instead and gotten The Lizards

zenguitarman fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Aug 10, 2016

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

Lol reminiscing coventry when you missed out on 14 Merriweather post 6x tweezer fest and magnaball

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

i think my uncle actually just got back from coventry

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

Big Swifty posted:

I just think there's a deliberate focus on avoiding falling into a default style that they've already explored, which means reluctance and pulling back because, well, habits are habits.

this is an important point, why do you think they have one harpua every two years etc. not because they hate playing it, not for blueballing fans, it's because the magic that exists there would dry up if they started milking it for all it was worth. it's the same in general, and it's a rollercoaster, and thousands of people have signed up for the ride, and it'll be fun any way it pans out, imo
:science:

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I saw phish this summer and they were pretty good.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Ha sweet! The Grand Pecking Order is on Spotify :okpos:

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Speaking of holding out for the magic, do you think Phish could sell out any venue they chose if they announced, well in advance, that the show for that time and place would be the complete Gamehenge cycle? Last performance of it was in 94. At this point, I'd settle for an official album release of TMWSIY

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

Archenteron posted:

Speaking of holding out for the magic, do you think Phish could sell out any venue they chose if they announced, well in advance, that the show for that time and place would be the complete Gamehenge cycle? Last performance of it was in 94. At this point, I'd settle for an official album release of TMWSIY

I could see that happening with literally any venue. It's a shame Trey's abandoned Gamehendge as a universe, though, so we may never get a full one ever again. :eng99:
In the US/GWN/EU/JA I could see it happening instantly. When you start thinking like :china: or :belarus: that's when the probability drops from 100%. Not like the band has left North America since 2000, so to make it interesting they could choose like, Hawaii.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
They have no trouble selling out halloweens and NYE runs, I don't know why they wouldn't sell out a special one-off in North America. Mexico obviously did well enough last year that they're going back.

Stato-Masochist
Aug 22, 2010

Lock'n night one was pretty swell

Set One

Wilson >
Down With Disease
Free
Wolfman's Brother
Tube
555 >
It's Ice >
Wingsuit
Simple
Space Oddity

Set Two

Punch You In The Eye >
Blaze On^1 >
Fuego^2 ->
Ghost^3 >
Bathtub Gin^4 >
Backwards Down The Numberline
You Enjoy Myself^5

Encore

Character Zero

^1 What's The Use? tease
^2 Little Drummer Boy tease
^3 WOO segment
^4 Unfinished
^5 rear end Handed lyrics from Fish during vocal jam

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I hope the new album is called rear end handed

Bombtrack
Dec 2, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Last night was pretty drat good, most of the festival is a free webcast if you didn't know.

Korean Barbecue Slut
Aug 6, 2009
I am Seeing the tour closer in Denver -
Anyone else?

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

I watched LOCKN'! Yeah, it was fun, I bonded with my mom who is sort on the periphery of being a Deadhead, and saw them on 7/18/99 herself with my dad. Also, I have to admit that social fans.com thing they were pushing seems cool and good. Much more likely to consider buying the live webcasts, now.

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

Well, that was a fun summer tour! My hopes of a Gamehendge occurring before me were once again summarily crushed, but it's amazing how I can feel that way, given how stellar the show was all around. :science: The Lizards, they have died. :eng99:

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
Saturday and Sunday at dicks were amazing. Booked Mexico!

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

I definitely appreciated the return of Mercury on Friday, just a rock solid Dicks run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

R3M posted:

I definitely appreciated the return of Mercury on Friday, just a rock solid Dicks run.

I literally booked Riviera Maya at 5 am on Saturday night because I was so stoked on Friday and Saturday. Best Dick's run yet. I've been to all of them and none moved me like that.

• Locked thread