Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

GORDON posted:

Are you insinuating that I would want a cookie?

But yes I'd like a cookie.

*hands you a cookie*

We cool :respek:

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

paul_soccer10 posted:

can I have some money

ballistics statistics
Nov 27, 2003

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I have a pretty sweet job that pays enough that I can be a manchild and buy anything I want while still paying my credit cards off every month and maxing out my 401k. So yeah, I'm good with money :smug:

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

ThaGrandCow posted:

I have a pretty sweet job that pays enough that I can be a manchild and buy anything I want while still paying my credit cards off every month and maxing out my 401k. So yeah, I'm good with money :smug:

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, cow.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
Im good with or without it haha.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

Moridin920 posted:

pretty much

I see a lot of "I got X from windfall, how should I use it" and I tell them to take 5-10% to spend on what they want and stick most of the rest in relatively low risk okay yield things and a loooot of the time the response is 'but idk I was gonna take this $300k and spend it on a super 6 month Europe trip what do you think?' and I kinda just give a weak smile and shrug and go 'well if you want to blow it all.'

I did 3 months in Europe staying in nice places and going sailing and going out nightly with roundtrip flight and 3 month rail pass for about 9k which is about the same I'd have spent at home living much less glamorously. America has cheap luxury goods but it's much more expensive to just live decently because you need a car and other associated costly things outside of a few cities which are very expensive anyway.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

VendaGoat posted:

*hands you a cookie*

We cool :respek:

Tacos rule, but cookies are like a heartbeat away from the throne.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

I.N.R.I posted:

Im good with or without it haha.

:cheerdoge:

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich
gently caress yeah I can go through like 10 g's easy, no sweat

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'm rich from the stockmarket. Buy low, sell high.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

My life between the age of 18 and 22 have ruined me financially from age 24 well into my future.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s865qLWy8-g

Now looka here, I did not say I was a millionaire
But I said I have spent more money than a millionaire

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

My life between the age of 18 and 22 have ruined me financially from age 24 well into my future.

what happened

Indy
Mar 30, 2005

Hey guys, what's up?
Just bought a house so no

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

I work for money which I convert into video games. I then use the video games to briefly make me forget about death until it's time to work again. I then work for more money, buy more video games, forget more death, and then go back to work. Sometimes I'll go eat a nice meal like spicy ramen or an ice cream cone. I drink constantly but mostly cheap beer because the cost ratio to amount of alcohol is better. Oh look time to go to work!!

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
well that depends, pig slut lisa. is it my money or someone else's?

Magnitogorsk.
Nov 14, 2004

Global warming is barely a big deal at all compared to the trajectory we used to be on. We'll have to do a lot of environmental engineering projects along certain shorelines and it will be a little warmer and wetter in some places, big fucking deal.

Dave_Indeed posted:

My job matches my 401k contributions up to 7% and I have dumped 10% in since I started here 8 years ago so now I'l be rich unless my wife divorces me and takes it all.

You should bump that up to at least 15% IMHO

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

pig slut lisa posted:

what happened

Teenagers make bad decisions.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

how bad is it?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I'm very bad with money but I make a lot of it so it doesn't really matter.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

pig slut lisa posted:

how bad is it?

Bad to the bone.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

EugeneJ posted:

The way I look at it is - figure out how much you would need to retire early.

Let's say you're 30 and have $1000/worth of expenses each month. That's $12,000/year x 32 years before you retire = $384,000 you need to retire at Age 30.

Or $264,000 to retire at Age 40.

Or $144,000 to retire at Age 50.

$1000/mo is not really much at all (esp if you are thinking your monthly expenses at 30 will be the same as your expenses when you are 70) plus what about inflation plus what about medical expenses?

need at least a mil or two to retire at 30 comfortably tbh and you'll still be living a middle class lifestyle at best (nothing wrong with that just sayin) and some good luck investing (prolly need at least 6-7% yield annually to cover inflation n poo poo)

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

emoji posted:

I did 3 months in Europe staying in nice places and going sailing and going out nightly with roundtrip flight and 3 month rail pass for about 9k which is about the same I'd have spent at home living much less glamorously. America has cheap luxury goods but it's much more expensive to just live decently because you need a car and other associated costly things outside of a few cities which are very expensive anyway.

I'm not saying don't enjoy part of the windfall, that's awesome you should travel when you are younger and whatever. 5-10% of $300k for example is still $15-30k you can just blow guilt free. And that's way better than being a miser who sticks it all away then one day finds themselves 70 yrs old having lived a mediocre life.

I'm saying I just see a lot of people blow through what they feel like is a large amount of money in no time at all and then they are working a lovely service job in Kansas a couple years later. Talking about like $2000/night hotels and poo poo (1 month of that is already $60k just for the room, before any taxes).

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jul 29, 2016

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I just bought 7 houses lol.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
I am pretty good with money since I can admit that I have no idea what I'm doing with it, so I just let my financial advisor have his way with me.

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012
I have a savings account with enough in it to keep me afloat for two years should the need arise, the interest rate is higher than on my mortgage, so that's nice, I'm adding a few k to it every month

If the housing market tanks it'll be the bank's problem, since I effectively bought the apartment with no down payment

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

I am pretty good with money since I can admit that I have no idea what I'm doing with it, so I just let my financial advisor have his way with me.

how much does he charge you

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

No, OP.

Cool, OK, Bye.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

pig slut lisa posted:

how much does he charge you

Probably a little more than he should but he specializes in my wife's profession (MDs right out of med school) so it is a pretty decent trade off.

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

fina get poz'd? :cabot: :gizz: :baby:
i make it and let my bitch save it

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

bloodysabbath posted:

People will poo poo on you for saying this, but kids are a massive goddamned luxury that most people don't have the ability to afford. People will put more thought into whether or not to buy a $1,000 TV than they will about creating two or more living, breathing beings that will cost them an average of $250k in base expenses each over 18 years, before college expenses.

This isn't some "lol breeders" poo poo, I admire people who actually want kids and dedicate themselves to being the best parents they can be, but goddamn the quality of life upgrade you can get from just, IDK, *not* having two or three kids by the time you're in their mid 20s is revelatory, but it's just viewed as "what you do."

That reminds me: There's this guy who runs a blog under the internet handle "Mr. Money Mustache":

https://www.mrmoneymustache.com

It looks like a source of common-sense financial advice, but a big chunk of the articles have him openly bragging about how superior he is to anyone even slightly less frugal than him, even if they're living well within their means.

Reluctant to move to walking/biking distance of where you work? Bad with money.

Have any hobbies which involve an internal combustion engine? Bad with money.

Have a dog? Bad with money.

Use a clothes dryer instead of hanging up your laundry to dry? Bad with money.

Except that he has a kid, which, even if you're as frugal as he is, is more expensive than any of the above.

Cockmaster fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jul 29, 2016

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

Cockmaster posted:

That reminds me: There's this guy who runs a blog under the internet handle "Mr. Money Mustache":

https://www.mrmoneymustache.com

It looks like a source of common-sense financial advice, but a big chunk of the articles have him openly bragging about how superior he is to anyone even slightly less frugal than him, even if they're [url="https://"http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2012/05/03/reader-case-study-im-rich-and-life-is-perfect-now-what/"]living well within their means.[/url]

Reluctant to move to walking/biking distance of where you work? Bad with money.

Have any hobbies which involve an internal combustion engine? Bad with money.

Have a dog? Bad with money.

Use a clothes dryer instead of hanging up your laundry to dry? Bad with money.

Except that he has a kid, which, even if you're as frugal as he is, is more expensive than any of the above.

Haha gently caress that guy, last straw was when it came out that he makes something like 500k a year off his blog in which he lectures folks about the frugal life.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

do you think frugality is about earning or spending?

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
i have a $400 overdraft in my checking account but over 10k in savings so im not sure

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
My dad gave me 100K to start a business when I was 26, out of college and completed military service. I built a very successful consulting firm, and went on to build up a staffing agency with a reputation for insourcing and shredding H1B's, sold it, built out an asset management company, sold it as well. Now I have a boutique consulting firm that fills transitional roles for organizations such as CIOs, CTOs, production management and various other roles needed for upstarts, mergers or divestitures. At this point I don't really work full time anymore but kinda looking to get into something philanthropic, like high-energy gamma ECT for those who suffer from liberalism or something.

R-Type fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jul 30, 2016

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
I enjoy spending money on things that go in my rear end, does this count?

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

R-Type posted:

My dad gave me 100K to start a business when I was 26, out of college and completed military service. I built a very successful consulting firm, and went on to build up a staffing agency with a reputation for insourcing and shredding H1B's, sold it, built out an asset management company, sold it as well. Now I have a boutique consulting firm that fills transitional roles for organizations such as CIOs, CTOs, production management and various other roles needed for upstarts, mergers or divestitures. At this point I don't really work full time anymore but kinda looking to get into something philanthropic, like high-energy gamma ECT for those who suffer from liberalism or something.

it's nice when parents do all the hard work for their children :)

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Anyone who spends :10bux: on gay old dead forums is probably not so good with money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

no. ive got g.a.s.

gently caress the ms-20 mini, ms-20 legacy 4 lyfe *squonche*

i live in a writhing nest of patch cables.

• Locked thread