Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Stinky_Pete posted:

I am excellent with money.

For example, one way I learned to save money is to:

1) buy bread at panera
2) go to a salad bar for lunch
3) use the bread with the salad in order to make a sandwich

Now I have a sandwich for lunch but I only went to a salad bar!

:homebrew:

didn't you also go to panera

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

No I'm not Catholic

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy

pig slut lisa posted:

didn't you also go to panera

Yeah but that bread lasts for at least 2 days

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Secret to being good with money:

Hmmm... I could buy all this weed and xbox games today.... or I could put off the instant gratification and save that money and be able to retire at a normal age in a few years instead of having to sponge off the good graces of my lovely children. Hmmm. What should I do.

gently caress it I vote democrat they'll take care of me. More weed, please.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

GORDON posted:

Hmmm... I could buy all this weed and xbox games today.... or I could put off the instant gratification and save that money and be able to retire at a normal age in a few years instead of having to sponge off the good graces of my lovely children. Hmmm. What should I do.

Are you insinuating that all pot smokers are bad with money?

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
jews

Friginator
May 13, 2014

by zen death robot

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

VendaGoat posted:

Are you insinuating that all pot smokers are bad with money?

Nope. Are you insinuating that I was insinuating that?

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

GORDON posted:

wow, sounds like you lead a very interesting life!

Estranged On The Range
Oct 18, 2015
I bought an account on this forum so the obvious answer is no.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

GORDON posted:

Nope. Are you insinuating that I was insinuating that?

Well, I just flat out asked you a question about it.

Would you like a cookie?

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

i'm not gonna write your loving essay op

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

GORDON posted:

but I could be high right now or have money in 10 years to be high with?

dumb choice just don't have kids in the first place that poo poo is a massive money sink

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

VendaGoat posted:

My butt is my bank. Wanna make a deposit?

More like a... SPERM bank! :smug:

iroguebot
Feb 15, 2001

Nerf this!

Paging Three Olives to this thread.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
I'm a compulsive gambler and only win big once a quarter and put back about ten times whatever I win. But this just means I'm way overdue for a huge win. So I'm only bad with money in the sense my huge jackpot hasn't happened...yet

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'm just neutral with money, but I make so much of it that it doesn't matter.

For example, I haven't purchased any exotic cars, but I've got an exotic cat on order.

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

jonathan posted:

For example, I haven't purchased any exotic cars, but I've got an exotic cat on order.

I have an exotic cart, all the other Amish people are mad jealous.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
I'm good with money but bad with gainful employment :saddowns:

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
I traded all my current and future money to Goldman Sachs for a couple years at a bullshit nonsense culinary school. Now I work on rich folks cars for only just enough money.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

Moridin920 posted:

but I could be high right now or have money in 10 years to be high with?

dumb choice just don't have kids in the first place that poo poo is a massive money sink

People will poo poo on you for saying this, but kids are a massive goddamned luxury that most people don't have the ability to afford. People will put more thought into whether or not to buy a $1,000 TV than they will about creating two or more living, breathing beings that will cost them an average of $250k in base expenses each over 18 years, before college expenses.

This isn't some "lol breeders" poo poo, I admire people who actually want kids and dedicate themselves to being the best parents they can be, but goddamn the quality of life upgrade you can get from just, IDK, *not* having two or three kids by the time you're in their mid 20s is revelatory, but it's just viewed as "what you do."

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like to buy food, alcohol, gas and drugs

autoaim.cfg
Aug 6, 2005
:qq: WHINY SHITHEAD :qq:
*drops mic*

Moridin920 posted:

I have a friend who blows $500+/mo just at the bars

Dude, we're not "friends".

Nice try though.

Klimpy Borf
Oct 22, 2010
I paid $10 to be able to post on a dead gay forum, what the hell do you think?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

bloodysabbath posted:

People will poo poo on you for saying this, but kids are a massive goddamned luxury that most people don't have the ability to afford. People will put more thought into whether or not to buy a $1,000 TV than they will about creating two or more living, breathing beings that will cost them an average of $250k in base expenses each over 18 years, before college expenses.

This isn't some "lol breeders" poo poo, I admire people who actually want kids and dedicate themselves to being the best parents they can be, but goddamn the quality of life upgrade you can get from just, IDK, *not* having two or three kids by the time you're in their mid 20s is revelatory, but it's just viewed as "what you do."

but THE AMERICAN DREAM :911:

Gotta get married. Gotta buy that house. Gotta have kids. WAIT WHY AM I BROKE NOW

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
All the money I make this month goes to spending next month. I'm always a month ahead on my budget so I don't have to live paycheck to paycheck. I've also got a shitload of savings so I could soak losing my job for like half a year and not have to worry about my bills.

This makes me a weird outlier in America so I don't get all up in my friend's grill about it.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

All the money I make this month goes to spending next month. I'm always a month ahead on my budget so I don't have to live paycheck to paycheck. I've also got a shitload of savings so I could soak losing my job for like half a year and not have to worry about my bills.

This makes me a weird outlier in America so I don't get all up in my friend's grill about it.

can I have some money

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

The way I look at it is - figure out how much you would need to retire early.

Let's say you're 30 and have $1000/worth of expenses each month. That's $12,000/year x 32 years before you retire = $384,000 you need to retire at Age 30.

Or $264,000 to retire at Age 40.

Or $144,000 to retire at Age 50.

clam the FUCK down
Dec 20, 2013

My goal is to have "gently caress you money" by the time I'm 30. I consider this to be more important that buying a house or anything else. Enough money to be able to say to an employer "gently caress you" and not sacrifice my lifestyle one bit.

This number is about $300,000 in savings for me with no debt. Enough money I can negotiate with an employer and have the ability to walk away from the table and live on a 50k/year salary for six years!

It's an amount of leverage I think is important for making your way up in the world.

I currently put away about $900/m in savings towards this goal and I'm 22.

clam the FUCK down
Dec 20, 2013

EugeneJ posted:

The way I look at it is - figure out how much you would need to retire early.

Let's say you're 30 and have $1000/worth of expenses each month. That's $12,000/year x 32 years before you retire = $384,000 you need to retire at Age 30.

Or $264,000 to retire at Age 40.

Or $144,000 to retire at Age 50.

This is quite possibly the worst retirement planning I have ever seen.

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

William Stoner posted:

This is quite possibly the worst retirement planning I have ever seen.

You just have to factor in the cash for the bullet when you run out of money

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Kuato posted:

I'm a compulsive gambler and only win big once a quarter and put back about ten times whatever I win. But this just means I'm way overdue for a huge win. So I'm only bad with money in the sense my huge jackpot hasn't happened...yet

Huge jackpot... More like a huge jackoff (which is what you are Kuato you loving degenerate)

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

William Stoner posted:

My goal is to have "gently caress you money" by the time I'm 30. I consider this to be more important that buying a house or anything else. Enough money to be able to say to an employer "gently caress you" and not sacrifice my lifestyle one bit.

This number is about $300,000 in savings for me with no debt. Enough money I can negotiate with an employer and have the ability to walk away from the table and live on a 50k/year salary for six years!

It's an amount of leverage I think is important for making your way up in the world.

I currently put away about $900/m in savings towards this goal and I'm 22.

ive considered the pros and cons of cashing out my 401k to get my tits done

srsly its prob a better investment than a college degree

Ill Peripheral
Jun 29, 2008
How about you just work until you die like a productive member of society?

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

Don Tacorleone posted:

Huge jackpot... More like a huge jackoff (which is what you are Kuato you loving degenerate)

Whoa! That's just mean, man. Mean! :smith:

bigfatdynamo
May 10, 2016

When I'm dead, just throw me in the trash.
I mean 50% of my heccin income goes to goddamn rent but I work 2 days a week max and I'm also studying so eh???????????

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

I just spend a decent amount on weed, I think it's for the best

med school head
Apr 17, 2012
i dont make a lot so i cant save a lot but i try

mostly i just drink tho to pass the time until im dead like townes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

VendaGoat posted:

Well, I just flat out asked you a question about it.

Would you like a cookie?

Are you insinuating that I would want a cookie?

But yes I'd like a cookie.

• Locked thread