Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
on the one hand I spend too much money on weed and useless poo poo like LEGO

on the other my portfolio is up 24% YTD which beats the poo poo out of most pro managers so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

pig slut lisa posted:

how much is too much?

Few hundred bucks a month (mostly on the weed though). Kinda just poor impulse control..

For example, I'ma buy this when it comes out: http://shop.lego.com/en-US/The-Disney-Castle-71040

Idk then again at least I'm not wasting my money running out and buying the new phone and stuff. I spend frivolously on a few hobbies and that's about it. I have a friend who blows $500+/mo just at the bars

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

William Stoner posted:

The more I learn about personal finance the more I realize the people with nice things are often not people with a lot of money.

pretty much

I see a lot of "I got X from windfall, how should I use it" and I tell them to take 5-10% to spend on what they want and stick most of the rest in relatively low risk okay yield things and a loooot of the time the response is 'but idk I was gonna take this $300k and spend it on a super 6 month Europe trip what do you think?' and I kinda just give a weak smile and shrug and go 'well if you want to blow it all.'

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

William Stoner posted:

On a serious note, the best thing I have ever learned how to do with money is develop a discipline of using credit lines in a proper way, investing in good quality items (saving for $350 boots instead of buying awful $60), and keeping a solid safety fund so I don't go into emergency debt ever.

A lot of good money handling is understanding the poverty traps a lot of people fall into or are unfortunately born into.

also good advice

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

GORDON posted:

Secret to being good with money:

Hmmm... I could buy all this weed and xbox games today.... or I could put off the instant gratification and save that money and be able to retire at a normal age in a few years instead of having to sponge off the good graces of my lovely children. Hmmm. What should I do.

gently caress it I vote democrat they'll take care of me. More weed, please.

but I could be high right now or have money in 10 years to be high with?

dumb choice just don't have kids in the first place that poo poo is a massive money sink

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

EugeneJ posted:

The way I look at it is - figure out how much you would need to retire early.

Let's say you're 30 and have $1000/worth of expenses each month. That's $12,000/year x 32 years before you retire = $384,000 you need to retire at Age 30.

Or $264,000 to retire at Age 40.

Or $144,000 to retire at Age 50.

$1000/mo is not really much at all (esp if you are thinking your monthly expenses at 30 will be the same as your expenses when you are 70) plus what about inflation plus what about medical expenses?

need at least a mil or two to retire at 30 comfortably tbh and you'll still be living a middle class lifestyle at best (nothing wrong with that just sayin) and some good luck investing (prolly need at least 6-7% yield annually to cover inflation n poo poo)

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

emoji posted:

I did 3 months in Europe staying in nice places and going sailing and going out nightly with roundtrip flight and 3 month rail pass for about 9k which is about the same I'd have spent at home living much less glamorously. America has cheap luxury goods but it's much more expensive to just live decently because you need a car and other associated costly things outside of a few cities which are very expensive anyway.

I'm not saying don't enjoy part of the windfall, that's awesome you should travel when you are younger and whatever. 5-10% of $300k for example is still $15-30k you can just blow guilt free. And that's way better than being a miser who sticks it all away then one day finds themselves 70 yrs old having lived a mediocre life.

I'm saying I just see a lot of people blow through what they feel like is a large amount of money in no time at all and then they are working a lovely service job in Kansas a couple years later. Talking about like $2000/night hotels and poo poo (1 month of that is already $60k just for the room, before any taxes).

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jul 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

R-Type posted:

Yeah, it's called paying it forward. So sorry for all the hippie liberal piece of poo poo parents that would rather suck marxist dick than roll their capitalist game heavy and give their kids a good bump. Note that I took what I was given and built off that. I feel sorry for all the leftist turdwaste that have parents who would rather suck the dole and blame everything on peeps like me and wall street, but go vote for the fuckrocrat that marginalizes them to create a voter base. Idiots.

trying too hard imo

• Locked thread