Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Keg
Sep 22, 2014
Has anybody here tried to end their life? What did it feel like between the time you did whatever you decided to do and when you woke up and realized you weren't dead? Like, after you tied the noose and knew that this was it, what is that feeling like? Was it scary, or exciting, or were you just kind of numb?

Thanks for any info you can provide, I haven't asked anybody about this in real life because it's probably hard to talk about, but maybe it's easier to write about?

PS: I hope you're feeling better now and living a much happier life. People love you, remember that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Paging Enfield.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Relief

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

In what way?

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
it was very painful and when i woke up i had drug dreams that i had a reset switch that would let me go back in time. after that was regret. pls dont kill yourselves. well bye

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

Enfield posted:

it was very painful and when i woke up i had drug dreams that i had a reset switch that would let me go back in time. after that was regret. pls dont kill yourselves. well bye

I'm glad you didn't die, and I hope nobody kills themselves too.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
It's literal proof that you fail at everything.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Seems like a good idea for a thread, with no mean-spirited intentions at all.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

you know, I thought about being edgy in here, but honestyl... if that's how to get forums cred... then I don't want it. :colbert:

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

The Dregs posted:

It's literal proof that you fail at everything.

Killing myself is one thing I'd be happy to fail at. Actually, most very successful people have failed many, many times before succeeding. Not that anybody should try to kill themselves again, but instead hopefully they're successful sooner now because they got a failure out of the way ;)

PromethiumX
Mar 5, 2003

Keg posted:

Killing myself is one thing I'd be happy to fail at. Actually, most very successful people have failed many, many times before succeeding. Not that anybody should try to kill themselves again, but instead hopefully they're successful sooner now because they got a failure out of the way ;)

Thats the kind of poo poo failures like to tell themselves because they suck. In reality if you don't crank one out of the park on the second swing you should just hang it up.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
A calm peaceful acceptance.

maddison
Nov 25, 2007

What the hell am I doing here?
My last attempt had me in the shower bleeding out of my wrist.

I sat there a while, before cutting and after. I went into the shower resolute, determined. But the longer I sat bleeding I got scared and went to the night staff. They called an ambulance.

It's weird that at that point it's like there's a wall in my memory. I was gone for a couple of months after that and when I got back I didn't remember a bunch of the people that live here. I didn't remember that I used to have regular phone calls with one of my friends. I remember my youth and growing up, but, the time immediately preceding my attempt is largely blank.

Just weird.

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
If your method of choice is an overdose feels good man :2bong:

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

Enfield posted:

I have those dreams all the time but I've never tried to kill myself, I think its because I play bideo games alot and dream about having a quickload button

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Enfield posted:

You're a good egg buddy.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

maddison posted:

I sat there a while, before cutting and after. I went into the shower resolute, determined. But the longer I sat bleeding I got scared and went to the night staff. They called an ambulance.

It's weird that at that point it's like there's a wall in my memory. I was gone for a couple of months after that and when I got back I didn't remember a bunch of the people that live here. I didn't remember that I used to have regular phone calls with one of my friends. I remember my youth and growing up, but, the time immediately preceding my attempt is largely blank.

Just weird.

Thank you for sharing and using capital letters & punctuation.

BirryJoru
Mar 21, 2012

GRAMAGEDDON ISN'T OVER YET. SORRY.-RA TEHUTI :smuggo::smug::smugdon::grin::parrot:
i'm dead

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

same

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

PromethiumX posted:

Thats the kind of poo poo failures like to tell themselves because they suck. In reality if you don't crank one out of the park on the second swing you should just hang it up.
why the heck are you talking about cranking one out in the park you sicko

Doctor Discomfort
Jan 4, 2015

Well, if you fail then boy howdy do you feel silly afterward

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

maddison posted:

Just weird.

Me too! :smith::respek::smith:

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
I think that lots of people often feel regret as soon as they think they know for sure they're going to die, because once I saw a documentary called The Bridge and the guys who survived all said that at the very last moment before they hit the water after jumping off the bridge, they decided they didn't want to die. It's maybe because animals don't want to die on a visceral level, even if some people think dying will fix their problems.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Keg posted:

I think that lots of people often feel regret as soon as they think they know for sure they're going to die, because once I saw a documentary called The Bridge and the guys who survived all said that at the very last moment before they hit the water after jumping off the bridge, they decided they didn't want to die. It's maybe because animals don't want to die on a visceral level, even if some people think dying will fix their problems.

sounds like some kind of natural reflex like fight or flight rather than some kind of epiphany.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Jumped off a six-story building at the age of thirteen. Landed on my feet. Left foot is crippled. Hurts like hell to walk. Arthritis is kicking in at 28 and due to a series of poor life choices I can only really work physical jobs. Figure I've got maybe one decade left before no one will hire me. Need to make enough to set up passive revenue streams to retire on before then.

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvBo_rKleNw

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

As much as it shames me to reveal any degree of care for such things, people posting intimate details of their life should probably be aware that Keg is trolling for the sake of fyad, where a common belief is that all posters outside of fyad are mentally ill/depressed or alcoholic, and a frequent source of amusement is coaxing gbs into revealing that. Which is usually all fun and games, but actually getting people to talk about their suicide attempts is an overreach and misinterpretation by a poster who should simultaneously go back to and stay out of gbs.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
It's kind of a relief compared to the hand wringing depression leading up to it

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

oh oh okay well actually I was trolling then too

dance, puppets, dance

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!
it's like a warm apple pie

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

Moon Atari posted:

As much as it shames me to reveal any degree of care for such things, people posting intimate details of their life should probably be aware that Keg is trolling for the sake of fyad, where a common belief is that all posters outside of fyad are mentally ill/depressed or alcoholic, and a frequent source of amusement is coaxing gbs into revealing that. Which is usually all fun and games, but actually getting people to talk about their suicide attempts is an overreach and misinterpretation by a poster who should simultaneously go back to and stay out of gbs.

seems sane

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Keg posted:

In what way?

Because he wouldn't have to read your posts anymore

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Moon Atari posted:

Jesus loving Christ, shut up.

There is also a thing called catharsis.

There is also a thing called perspective, which would allow someone reading GBS, who could be possibly contemplating this endeavor, a reprieve from doing so.

And yes, it could also be used, by a degenerate, to laugh at the underprivileged.

Welcome to life, rear end in a top hat.

Where intent matters.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Moon Atari posted:

I always figured FYAD was

quote:

mentally ill/depressed or alcoholic

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Colonel Cancer posted:

I always figured FYAD was

Yes.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
I don't really know what's going on but literally none of us are sane because we post on SA in TYOOL2016

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Moon Atari posted:

Im pretty sure both gbs and fyad are full of mentally ill alcoholics in fact i think this site is full of them and was even founded by one

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Mange Mite posted:

Im pretty sure both gbs and fyad are full of mentally ill alcoholics in fact i think this site is full of them and was even founded by one

Yes.

I would very much enjoy my state legalizing weed though.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

When I tried to off myself by taking a handful of sedatives, I soon got very sleepy and went to bed. I thought I would die in my sleep, and my anguish would end.

But I hadn't taken nearly enough, because I woke up at the usual time the next morning. I wasn't even late for work.

Nearly forty years later, the only love I get comes from my cat.

King Possum III fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jul 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I'm not an alcoholic! :)

• Locked thread