Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Skeleton Ape posted:

Some Kind Of Monster was really good, my favorite part was when James was like "yeah, I really wish I could make it to my kid's birthday but I have a prior engagement to go hunting and drink twelve gallons of vodka".

My favorite part is when Lar's shows his dad the work in progress track and he thinks it's fuckking garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

neato burrito posted:

gimme fuel gimme fiyah

gimme daba daba dire

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Ahahaha yes, I forgot that. Dude has this Tolkien character looking motherfucker for a dad and he's sitting there listening to this track thoughtfully stroking his beard and finally says "well... if I was in charge of this album, I would say... delete that". Lars is loving crushed and he kinda just shrugs :lol:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Saalkin posted:

My favorite part is when Lar's shows his dad the work in progress track and he thinks it's fuckking garbage.

Lars dad probably can play the drums better than Lars, hell, I hurt myself every time I sit behind a drumset and I can play drums better than Lars.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

rezatahs posted:

lol that reminded me they made fun of phil anselmo

Phil Anselmo is a rejected squidbillies side character who would be laughed at constantly if everyone didn't forget him immediately after each adorable shenanigan

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Metallica owned and then Cliff died and they stopped owning. Justice was good but after that everything is awful.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Wafflz posted:

Metallica owned and then Cliff died and they stopped owning. Justice was good but after that everything is awful.

Yeah, I think after the Black album, they gave up, and somehow keep earing money, so they just don't give a gently caress. I don't understand why people still like them though. Like sure, I like a good listen to the Burton albums, but I don't go nuts for them.

spank my snatch
Jun 4, 2009

I also like a lot of their 30 year old songs

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe

HoboZero posted:

Phil Anselmo is a rejected squidbillies side character who would be laughed at constantly if everyone didn't forget him immediately after each adorable shenanigan

honestly can't argue with that

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

jiharlequinade posted:

I also like a lot of their 30 year old songs

Check this poo poo out for how much of a basic bitch Lars is as a drummer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ll5BiRQfIjQ

Compare it to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cavv44zJ4A

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GAK39PHFAk

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
In my mind Metallica and Stephen King are both really great things that didn't make the transition into the 90s well.

President in Residence
May 12, 2003

Early metallica was good when I was in high school but I listen to megadeth now. Having said that, Blackened is the best metallica song.

Also, King Diamond is loving amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DU_ggFovJNo

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I wish Armoured Saint had the break Metallica got.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
I always like their cover of whiskey in the jar

Because James sings it like

Whiskey in a gyyyrooo

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Someone turned up the bass on all the tracks for And Justice For All

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kqTcLwUYj8

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

GRANNYS PEACH TEA posted:

Metallica is a level of dad music beyond dad music to people in middle school though. Kids that got conceived at Metallica concerts are in middle school now.

Rock music is pretty much dad/granddad music nowadays. sadly.

Metallica owns. St. Anger sucked though.

Ricardio
Dec 3, 2012

Completely Consensual
Metallice was great and then a bob rock appeared and the rest ispoop

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Zombie Boat posted:

Whiskey in a gyyyrooo

As I was going ovAAAAH
The cork and kerry mountAAAINAAAH
I saw a captain ferrelAAAAH
And the money he was countinAAAAH

Song owns btw

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Zombie Boat posted:

Whiskey in a gyyyrooo

That cover owns and I listened to the original by Thin Lizzy recently and holy poo poo it's awful

spank my snatch
Jun 4, 2009

GRANNYS PEACH TEA posted:

Metallica is a level of dad music beyond dad music to people in middle school though. Kids that got conceived at Metallica concerts are in middle schoolcollege now.

fixed

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
"The whole thing with that specific song — as well as several of the other songs — was their desire for a technical perfection that would have been easy in these days of computer editing but which, back then, we had to achieve manually. Lars's playing had to be extremely tight, and we did 20‑ to 30‑second segments with me punching in and out over 18 drum tracks. When we got a good bit, we'd sit and listen to it a couple of times to make sure it was cool, and if, say, one hi‑hat hit was a little late, I'd chop out a tiny bit of tape with a razor to make it exactly right. That was a long and tiring process, and whereas it would now take about half a day to complete one of those drum tracks, back then it took us a minimum of three to four days. For each song I had a big envelope full of bits of two‑inch tape that I had chopped out, and I remember joking to Lars that they should hold a competition for the fans, enabling them to win lost bits from his drum tracks... He didn't find that at all amusing.

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe

comes along bort posted:

"The whole thing with that specific song — as well as several of the other songs — was their desire for a technical perfection that would have been easy in these days of computer editing but which, back then, we had to achieve manually. Lars's playing had to be extremely tight, and we did 20‑ to 30‑second segments with me punching in and out over 18 drum tracks. When we got a good bit, we'd sit and listen to it a couple of times to make sure it was cool, and if, say, one hi‑hat hit was a little late, I'd chop out a tiny bit of tape with a razor to make it exactly right. That was a long and tiring process, and whereas it would now take about half a day to complete one of those drum tracks, back then it took us a minimum of three to four days. For each song I had a big envelope full of bits of two‑inch tape that I had chopped out, and I remember joking to Lars that they should hold a competition for the fans, enabling them to win lost bits from his drum tracks... He didn't find that at all amusing.

lol

i know of another way to achieve that technical perfection without chopping tapes or computers

it's called "git gud"

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Drunken Baker posted:

As I was going ovAAAAH
The cork and kerry mountAAAINAAAH
I saw a captain ferrelAAAAH
And the money he was countinAAAAH

Song owns btw

It's a great song I just always hear gyro they way he sings it.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

rezatahs posted:

lol

i know of another way to achieve that technical perfection without chopping tapes or computers

it's called "git gud"

whoa ableist much

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Zombie Boat posted:

It's a great song I just always hear gyro they way he sings it.

I'll never be able to unhear it either now, THANKS BUDDY.

:)

Man, there's a live version of Creeping Death where Newstead sings and I know what tour period it's from, but years ago i had a version that was just spot-on perfect and I've never been able to find it since the Kazaa days. I've listened to pretty much every video on youtube so I think it was some home-made recorded thing that I stumbled across somehow.

I'm gonna go home after work and get drunk and listen to a whole shitheap of Metallica I don't do it nearly enough.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

the story was that hetfield and burton were gonna fire lars after the master of puppets tour but welp.

it wouldve been a 100% not poo poo band if theyd kept mustaine and got an actual drummer from the start

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Has anybody said anything about :megadeath: being miles better than Metallica yet?

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

sainttt anger round my neck lol bud it's called a necklace

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
when i was trying to learn guitar in hs I had an electric guitar and the fat E string I had would start to melt my lovely plastic pick when I'd be playing Fight Fire with Fire

they kinda got old man about the filez and their later albums are just okay but yeah metallica is cool. Ride the Lightning is dope

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

my lifestyle determines my deathstyle

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

i'm not really into futuristic music

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

jackyl posted:

they did some cover albums and there are some p good songs there but this is probably my favorite cover, except maybe one other

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boanuwUMNNQ

Sorry duders, this is a trash cover of a great song. Like whoever rewrote the lyrics to exclude the part where jenny fills his pistols with water is an insecure dipshit. And changing "juice of the barley, and courting pretty bar maids early in the morning" for "sleeping in molly's chamber..."? loving dumb.

But other than that, I'm down OP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnKhsTXoKCI

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

stab posted:

Has anybody said anything about :megadeath: being miles better than Metallica yet?

Yeah, but it bears repeating.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
When I was a wee tot me aul Nan used to play loads of old Irish folk songs on her record player. Including Whiskey in the Jar. She didn't like the Thin Lizzy version OR the Metallica version but me Da' is bang into them both.

Metallica brings families together.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Heres a video of Joey Jordison showing us what Creeping Death should have sounded like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZQG4lCaKPc

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ESicEzUtqk

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Drunken Baker posted:

I wish Exodus had the break Metallica got.

Annie Chickenstalker
Oct 12, 2005

Of course you dont know, YOU dont know because only I know

Grimey Drawer
Metallica is good you guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Metallica was good

• Locked thread