Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
memba this
This poll is closed.
goku 130 46.43%
goku 150 53.57%
Total: 190 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

GORDON posted:

About a month after 9/11 another plane exploded in the air over NYC while coming in for a landing with pieces raining all over a neighborhood, but the fact it was a surface to air missile was covered up and now it has been largely forgotten.
That's not true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

It was two months, not one month.

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy

Carwash oval office posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxKYxzlqLOs

WHAT are you doing?
You walked in here naked, to have sex with a 14 year old and her cat?

Ah, I remember this

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

TheWeepingHorse posted:

One of the victims of that crash had been a student at my law school. IIRC, he was at home, and he died from the plummeting plane pieces. Now the SBA room is named after him.

People forget all the weird terrifying poo poo that had immediately followed 9/11. Hey, remember when they caught the Anthrax guy? Of course not, because they didn't..

They didn't because he died.

They had a suspect, confirmed the anthrax came from his lab, learned about his desire to "prove how vulnerable America was" went to arrest him and he offed himself.

The evidence isn't perfect but its a hell of a coincidence the attacks stopped when they started looking at him.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Godholio posted:

Most people in this thread probably weren't close to being born yet, but PA State Treasurer Bud Dwyer shot himself during a tv press conference. It wasn't broadcast live, but it was recorded and somehow found it's way to youtube

This is the setup that cuts off after he reads a speech about his corruption and bribery charges, then hands out envelopes to coworkers and friends. Then things get interesting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UT8lW73jexU

And here's the :nws: part that followed.

I remember when torrents became a thing, my best friend showed me this. And then right after "Kurt Cobain's suicide note" finished downloading. Spooky coincidence in the form of a blurry .jpg

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

TheWeepingHorse posted:

One of the victims of that crash had been a student at my law school. IIRC, he was at home, and he died from the plummeting plane pieces. Now the SBA room is named after him.

People forget all the weird terrifying poo poo that had immediately followed 9/11. Hey, remember when they caught the Anthrax guy? Of course not, because they didn't..

I just watched an episode of 48 Hours and there was one where a guy killed his wife the day after 9/11 because he figured cops would be too busy with that.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

a hole-y ghost posted:

That's not true

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."

univbee posted:

Like everything else, Japan did it first, with a 1960 televised assassination by katana :black101:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4KROpdUkrM&t=65s

It, too, had a Pulitzer-winning black & white photograph.

The 17 year-old assassin also went out in a pretty metal way. In prison while they were figuring out what the gently caress to even do with him, he wrote “Seven lives for my country. ten thousand years for His Imperial Majesty the Emperor!" on his cell wall with toothpaste and water, and hung himself.

On the topic of weird modern katana incidents, this reminds me of the famous Japanese author Yukio Mishima.

In 1970 he attempted to stage a coup, taking a commandant hostage and delivering a speech to the soldiers at the military base. It completely fell flat and the soldiers mocked him, so he returned to the commandant's office and committed seppuku.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Didn't Bud Dwyer end up being innocent but was so terrified of his family not getting his benefits while he was in jail that he killed himself.
My recollection of the details is not great but he may have just wanted to protect his family :unsmith:

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Inzombiac posted:

Didn't Bud Dwyer end up being innocent but was so terrified of his family not getting his benefits while he was in jail that he killed himself.
My recollection of the details is not great but he may have just wanted to protect his family :unsmith:

I'm clicking on the "Would you like to know more?" prompt

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Remember those weird loving Tang commercials with the ape? what the hell was that about

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

quote:

Throughout Dwyer's trial and after his conviction, he maintained that he was innocent of the charges levied against him, and that he had been framed. Decades later, it was misreported that the prosecution's primary witness,William T. Smith, whose testimony was largely used to obtain Dwyer's conviction, admitted in a documentary about Dwyer that he had lied under oath about Dwyer taking a bribe in order to receive a reduced sentence.[6] In fact, Smith acknowledges, as he did at Dwyer's trial, that he had lied in his own earlier trial when he testified that he had not offered Dwyer a bribe. He admitted that he testified against Dwyer in hopes of receiving a reduced sentence and to spare his wife from being prosecuted for her role in the conspiracy, and expressed his regret for that decision and the role it played in Dwyer's death.[7]

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
In the year of our lord 2016 Donald Trump is the nominee for President of the United States.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
hosed up if true.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

criscodisco posted:

hosed up if true.

One of the victims of that election was my co-worker at a pest control company. IIRC, he died from plummeting faith in the democratic process. Now there's a sewage treatment plant named after him.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

I came back to this tab with the above picture scrolled halfway off the top of my screen, and I thought it was the photo of Ruby assassinating Oswald.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Centripetal Horse posted:

I came back to this tab with the above picture scrolled halfway off the top of my screen, and I thought it was the photo of Ruby assassinating Oswald.

It's the Japanese adaptation

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

still absolutely flabbergasted that all this thing have happen?

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Celluloid Sam posted:

still absolutely flabbergasted that all this thing have happen?

Everything happens so much

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Sharzak posted:

Everything happens so much

HEB will always live on in my heart

:smithicide:

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

SciFiDownBeat posted:

HEB will always live on in my heart

:smithicide:

What did the story end up being with that? Last I heard they were like answering phones or some poo poo for some event? Or am I thinking of the pronunciation guide

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Phthisis posted:

On the topic of weird modern katana incidents, this reminds me of the famous Japanese author Yukio Mishima.

In 1970 he attempted to stage a coup, taking a commandant hostage and delivering a speech to the soldiers at the military base. It completely fell flat and the soldiers mocked him, so he returned to the commandant's office and committed seppuku.

You're not selling it enough. Mishima pretty much knew his coup attempt was going to fail, it was basically a planned suicide by making a statement because that's how he rolled.

Also, his lieutenant who did the beheading part of the ritual was his homosexual lover. He also hosed up cutting off Mishima's head, taking three swings at his neck but failing to completely cut his head off. It took the intervention of another one of the soldiers in Mishima's private army (oh, did we neglect to mention that Mishima had a private army) took the sword and finally beheaded Mishima. Then he acted as the second to the lieutenant's seppuku ritual.

Also, Mishima had totally did a test run of his suicide when he made the film adaptation of his short story, "Patriotism", where he graphically simulates the ritual.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Sharzak posted:

What did the story end up being with that? Last I heard they were like answering phones or some poo poo for some event? Or am I thinking of the pronunciation guide

It was part of an ARG promotion for a documentary about the subprime mortgage crisis, because sure why not

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

You don't kill yourself if you're innocent of a crime like that. That poo poo about Dwyer's witness would have gotten out if he had gone to trial, like it eventually did. William T. Smith might have lied, but Dwyer believed that the Feds had something on him. They indicted a whole bunch of people around him and you don't hang 11 counts of conspiracy, mail fraud, perjury, and racketeering on the word of a single person.

Of course, the big rumor is that he killed himself to prevent his pension from being cut, so he could still provide for his wife.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Young Freud posted:

You're not selling it enough. Mishima pretty much knew his coup attempt was going to fail, it was basically a planned suicide by making a statement because that's how he rolled.

Also, his lieutenant who did the beheading part of the ritual was his homosexual lover. He also hosed up cutting off Mishima's head, taking three swings at his neck but failing to completely cut his head off. It took the intervention of another one of the soldiers in Mishima's private army (oh, did we neglect to mention that Mishima had a private army) took the sword and finally beheaded Mishima. Then he acted as the second to the lieutenant's seppuku ritual.

Also, Mishima had totally did a test run of his suicide when he made the film adaptation of his short story, "Patriotism", where he graphically simulates the ritual.
most meticulously planned self own in japanese history

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

cuck cuck im gay posted:

And even more relevant to the thread, Geico insurance even got in a dig on him:

The Geico ad people have been consistently baller for at least two straight decades now. I bet they're pretty cool dudes.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I don't know how you can claim that when the caveman sitcom one of their campaigns inspired was a thing that actually happened.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Too lazy to find a link but this happened: at the memorial for nelson Mandela, the south African government cheaped out on a sign language interpreter and got a guy with schizo, no knowledge of sign language who spazzed out and claimed later that he saw angels descend into the stadium

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

kaschei posted:

Too lazy to find a link but this happened: at the memorial for nelson Mandela, the south African government cheaped out on a sign language interpreter and got a guy with schizo, no knowledge of sign language who spazzed out and claimed later that he saw angels descend into the stadium

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-DxGoIVUWo

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Ryoshi posted:

I don't know how you can claim that when the caveman sitcom one of their campaigns inspired was a thing that actually happened.

The fact that an insurance company's advertisement inspired a TV pilot at all is my rebuttal.

Macasaurus
Oct 12, 2012

a friend showed me a fruit rollups commercial from the 80s and it was a bunch of monkeys in a school bus and at the end it said try the new watermelon flavor

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Someone asked about that fast food prank that resulted in an employee being molested.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strip_search_phone_call_scam

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Macasaurus posted:

a friend showed me a fruit rollups commercial from the 80s and it was a bunch of monkeys in a school bus and at the end it said try the new watermelon flavor

This was aired in the UK in the 80's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SAUZGuLrmM

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

kaschei posted:

There was also the time BBC had a cab driver as an internet expert or whatever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhv9HJaA67c

Dude rolled with those punches, like a boss, though.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

mobby_6kl posted:

And of course this, which is recent enough to hopefully not need a reminder, but :wtc: enough to deserve one:

I love crazy court transcripts :3:

From Australia, we have the wonderful (several) cases of Moore-McQuillan, who was initially suing the government for money, but is now perpetually in court defending himself for abusing judges in court by continuing to abuse judges in court.

quote:

Moore-McQuillan: Thank you for being an arsehole and thank you for being prejudicial and thank you for being a oval office.
His Honour: That’s enough from you.
Moore-McQuillan: Hope you have a good loving retirement you stupid loving idiot. Thank Christ we are getting rid of a loving oval office like you.

quote:

Moore-McQuillan: Listen, you just shut the gently caress up and loving sit down and don’t be a dickhead and instead of loving turning around and dictate the terms—-
His Honour: That’s—-
Moore-McQuillan: I’m talking to you and I don’t need this fuckwit interrupting.
His Honour: That is enough, Mr Moore-McQuillan.
[snip]
Moore-McQuillan: I don’t think so. Why doesn’t Downs tell us what his loving instructions to—-
His Honour: Mr Moore-McQuillan, stop it.
Moore-McQuillan: You lying piece of poo poo. Now, sit down, you dick-face.

quote:

Moore-McQuillan: We've still got loving things to fix before Zulu [Dr Salu] gets up - and if he gets up I will loving stand on my feet and I will knock him down. You were a failure of the Supreme Court, and you are a failure here. You couldn't be loving bothered, and all you do is stick up for your own loving kind, so there you go. You will be the next one loving six feet under.

The hearing, to allow Moore-McQuillan to seek compensation for a workplace injury, continued on for a few minutes until Moore-McQuillan's behaviour worsened.

The trial was told that as the judge left the bench, Moore-McQuillan was "purple-faced and enraged" and continued with his spray.

Moore-McQuillan: I wish you'd have a heart attack between now and then, and then we can have loving justice done once and for all.

The court heard he then turned his attention to Dr Salu and his instructing solicitor, James Bruun.

Moore-McQuillan: If you don't want to turn up again little fellow, loving feel free not to come because you're a fuckwit, and if you can't handle it, go away. And if you want me to come around to your place, I will, the same as you used to do to me, and Zulu [Dr Salu] knows that because he loving organised people to come around as well. Don't forget I know where you live as well.

quote:

Moore-McQuillan: I, Your Honour, am not a loving lying piece of poo poo like these other people you're used to talking to. You are not interested in the truth, the only truth you're interested in is what this lying piece of poo poo can produce to you. What you've actually allowed done is allowed them to use dishonest and illegal methods to produce evidence that you consider honest, and that's because he's a filthy loving little rear end in a top hat.

His cases also spawned one of my all-time favourite headlines, Man swears 93 times in one half-hour SA court hearing :allears:

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy

mind the walrus posted:

The Geico ad people have been consistently baller for at least two straight decades now. I bet they're pretty cool dudes.

BIG MAN TINY GUITAR HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

edit:

mind the walrus posted:

The fact that an insurance company's advertisement inspired a TV pilot at all is my rebuttal.

You should definitely follow Budd Dwyer's example

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

bluetail
Jul 8, 2012
Donald trump raped a 13 year old girl in 1994 with his billionaire pal Jeffrey Epstein, a registered sex offender

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

bluetail posted:

Donald trump raped a 13 year old girl in 1994 with his billionaire pal Jeffrey Epstein, a registered sex offender

Allegedly.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Macasaurus posted:

I remember that commercial from when I was a kid, but I also think that it's unfair that showing a bunch of cute monkeys to advertise a new flavor has to be insinuated racism. If anything it should be offensive to rowdy bus-riding children that they act like a bunch of crazed monkeys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/01/19/463535648/area-satiric-publication-the-onion-sold-to-univision-seriously

Yeah, I'm actually sad about Univision buying the Onion earlier this year.

• Locked thread