Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Still just watching ep 3, but it seems like you are way undervaluing dots. Dots are the counter to high prot like maggots or mushroom golems. The highwayman and jesters bleeds do 6 or 9 prot ignoring damage at level 0 on top of 3-9 they do up front. It also seems like you are giving the jesters ballard more credit than its worth. Sure it buffs good things, but just 3% dodge and 2% crit and 2 speed? Having the whole battle end 3 turns faster by just using your AOE dots comes out way ahead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Don't you dare besmirch the noble office of the adventuring bard! Uplifting music, moving poetry and a keen, ribald wit are the keys to success in any potentially deadly situation.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Xenoborg posted:

Still just watching ep 3, but it seems like you are way undervaluing dots. Dots are the counter to high prot like maggots or mushroom golems. The highwayman and jesters bleeds do 6 or 9 prot ignoring damage at level 0 on top of 3-9 they do up front. It also seems like you are giving the jesters ballard more credit than its worth. Sure it buffs good things, but just 3% dodge and 2% crit and 2 speed? Having the whole battle end 3 turns faster by just using your AOE dots comes out way ahead.

Keep an eye out for episode 7

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
If you're still taking name requests, I'd love to be an abomination, totally not because depressing the team is hilarious.

Nalesh fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Aug 13, 2016

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
Episode 5: Keep the Tip

A hero rides again as our new Leper is taken through a trip in the wonderful Warrens.

Next infopost is going to detail the ruins, though its gonna be a big post so expect that sometime after next video.

Things to note:
-Did a little research on the warrens after this batch of videos, the worms in this area do double damage on marked targets. Another thing that makes the warrens a bit daunting.

-Our occultist doesn't have any crit modifiers whatsoever. However, his melee attack Sacrificial Stab has a crazy base crit mod of 10% on top of the 7.5% that comes from his weapon.

-We didn't see much of the diverse cast of the Warrens sadly, however I wasn't joking about the place being rife with disease. The worms come with a 5% (1/20) chance to cause any disease, and one type of pigman has a whopping 33% (1/3) chance to cause any disease. They also are some of the fastest units in the level, so get ready to send people to the doctor.

Highwang fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Aug 12, 2016

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Warrens are a series of burrows. So it's basically an underground slum area.

Hooray for Leppy Granola! It seems his double entendre scared the warrens into mediocrity!

gbuchold
Oct 7, 2007

We feel free because we lack the very language to articulate our unfreedom.
Pillbug
You mention revving up a Leper with some Plague Doctors - it's silly what you can do with that idea, I highly recommend demonstrating it for the thread at some point. You can use it to annihilate mobs with HP triggers before their triggers can go off with just absurd spike damage. If nothing else throw a Leper and 3 PDs into a single fight then retreat them, it's worth the effort.

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009
What does retreating cost you, do all your supplies just disappear whenever you exit a map?

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

Alavaria posted:

What does retreating cost you, do all your supplies just disappear whenever you exit a map?

You keep all the treasure you've collected, but the surviving party members gain a ton of stress.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Jesus you know I've got a file that's at week 27 or something and with this LP I question how the hell I made it that far with no real "builds" on guys.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
*The first leper is besmirched with his contribution to the events before being witnessed, with Skippy Granola as the named offender*
*kills with the first attack*
*misses with the second strike*
*takes a couple of hits for the team while powering up then one shot's another enemy'*
*kills another with his first strike in the next battle*
*takes another for the team before one-shotting another enemy*
*one-shots a spider*
*tanks two more enemies, making it easier for the party to finish them off*

Leppy Granola deserves a medal!

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

gbuchold posted:

You mention revving up a Leper with some Plague Doctors - it's silly what you can do with that idea, I highly recommend demonstrating it for the thread at some point. You can use it to annihilate mobs with HP triggers before their triggers can go off with just absurd spike damage. If nothing else throw a Leper and 3 PDs into a single fight then retreat them, it's worth the effort.

Don't do it in the Cove on a certain boss.

Unless you want to risk someone exploding.

ChocolateHelicopter
Apr 3, 2010
Very nice thread! I was on the fence for getting this game, but this LP made me buy it. Thanks OP!

If you're still accepting recruits, I'd like to be an Antiquarian, Plague Doctor or Houndmaster (no color preference) as ChocoHeli.

ChocolateHelicopter fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Aug 13, 2016

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

Leppy Granola deserves a medal!

Grave Robber still proven to be the best class. :colbert:

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Hello. I would like to die for the cause. Please mark me down as a Plague Doctor named Dr. Scruffy :v:

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Put me down for a Antiquarian, in the most garish colors possible. Just City as a name'll if you don't feel like typing out the full user name.

Let's see if sticking my name on one of your favorite classes'll mean I survive longer.

Also, thanks for the tips and guides. I'm going to finally to finish this thing and the info's helping out immensely. Just knowing that I should, you know, focus on builds and what not is making a difference.

Flamester
Dec 30, 2012
Put me up for a Abomination, name can just be Flamester if that's fine.

Loving all the tips in this LP. I'll try starting a new game with the advice!

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Actually, I want to append something to my registration:

bman in 2288 posted:

This seems fun. I want in. Can I join the festivities exploration as bman in 2288? I wanna be either an Arbalest, Abomination, or an Antiquarian. These seem like things that would be fun to do.

If I get chosen as an antiquarian, can I be called waifu in 2288? It'd be weird if you called a chick "bman".

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
I am... oddly proud

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Maybe I didn't expect there to be so many Lepers. Can I switch priority to Houndmaster?

I guess in their heart every goon is a stoic badass going to their death with sword in hand because they have nothing left to lose. Or their skin is sloughing off due to lack of sunlight.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Skippy Granola posted:

I am... oddly proud

On the bright side you're competent, on the bad side you have leprosy :v:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The Leper got amazing when they buffed all his damage by like 15% to make up for the accuracy late in development.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
The Warrens is absolutely the right place to send a leper because compared to the enemies in the other areas the pigs have more hp and lower dodge, so the leper's huge damage is more useful and less likely to be wasted on overkill, and his low accuracy is less of a concern.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
New Update: Ep 6, The Ancestor's Guide to pissing off Iron Chitlin

Today's episode is full of screaming and general anger. Please enjoy.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

The best kind of episode.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I feel your pain, Iron Chitlin :(

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
Additionally I'd be down to sign up as a Man at Arms if that's still going (named Bepo)

e: oh I forgot to mention HA HA YOU WANT EVERYONE TO BE ABLE TO HIT EVERY ROW!

FicusArt
Dec 27, 2014

Why would I draw dudes when I could be drawing literally anything else?
How much more ready can you be for a hard fight than "Completely fresh from town and fully ready for a whole dungeon"

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

The Hellion's probably my favourite design in the game. She just looks effortlessly badass, and she can back it up too.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

FicusArt posted:

How much more ready can you be for a hard fight than "Completely fresh from town and fully ready for a whole dungeon"

Full team of at least lvl 1 gear. Lvl 2 gear on my damage team. Damage accessories. A reliable healer.

Being entirely dependent on the Occultist for healing is not great imo.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION

Highwang posted:

Full team of at least lvl 1 gear. Lvl 2 gear on my damage team. Damage accessories. A reliable healer.

Being entirely dependent on the Occultist for healing is not great imo.

Fun story, right after this video I ran into that altar with my only heal being the Occultist (that's a lie every other unit had their own heal in some capacity) and managed to win with no casualties if you don't count me releasing the panicked Leper immediately after to make room for clear-headed recruits. If you wanted everyone alive you were probably right to avoid it, but you probably could have beaten it with minimal casualties. :)
Also the occultist was the only one in the party with EXP.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

This looks like a cool game, I'll throw my hat in the ring as either Arbalest, Vestal or Hellion

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I first ran into that shrine in a mission where I was supposed to purify some shrines

I hadn't run into any of the shrines yet, so I just presumed "oh hey, this must be the mission objective. Needs a torch, huh?"

It ended badly

SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

Guh, I forgot the Hellion existed otherwise, I'd have signed up for that as my #1. I used one in my (brief) playthrough and adored her.

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

He who fights too long against dragons becomes a dragon himself

JT Jag posted:

I hadn't run into any of the shrines yet, so I just presumed "oh hey, this must be the mission objective. Needs a torch, huh?"

Doesn't it say something like "This is a symbol of ruin, place fire if you crave the Void"? :sweatdrop: But it is true you don't expect a curio to summon a bossfight, when all the rest either give you stress/quirks or treasure.

Been watching the videos so far, it's interesting to see different play styles. I can definitely sympathize with the "cover all ranks" Hellion, though I'm in the group that finds YAWP! and Adrenaline Rush (for use to help offset the fatigue debuff as well as cure status and HP) too indispensable to do that. Iron Swan kind of has a meta choice, since [especially on higher difficulties] back rank targets have much higher Dodge than the front-rank, so you basically choice between maxing out her damage and/or bleed chance and unloading on the front rank, or getting accuracy for the back rank. Plus once that 4th target is dead Iron Swan has no other use. I like it but my brother doesn't, and I can't really say he's wrong.

Two notes: one, if Blindfire did ever hit corpses (I didn't play it until Spring 2016) it doesn't now, so feel free to let it fly. I never used it either until we modded in the Musketeer and gave her Sidearm (same move) since I liked the animation for it, and found out it only hits active targets. That plus first-rank accessibility and the speed boost on a pretty decent healer, and it's actually not a bad move. And two, yeah, do not mess around with spiders:

That was the tank going into a 2 webber/2 spitter fight with full health, and died in 2 rounds. Part of that was bad luck (he failed the first Death's Door roll, and you have a 2/3 chance of making it), but still.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Wayne posted:

Iron Swan kind of has a meta choice, since [especially on higher difficulties] back rank targets have much higher Dodge than the front-rank, so you basically choice between maxing out her damage and/or bleed chance and unloading on the front rank, or getting accuracy for the back rank. Plus once that 4th target is dead Iron Swan has no other use.

I take Iron Swan with full knowledge of this. Rank 4 enemies, by design, are purely glass-cannon offensive because a majority of your team can rarely attack the back row with 100% damage. If I can remove that attack spam ASAP, Iron Swan has fulfilled its purpose. Get the Rank 1 +damage accessory and some speed and I never have to worry about spilled cups and mean words.

I will say though, with the recent recordings I have been seriously re-considering "If it Bleeds" since its not as good as it was during E-A. That and I may have to reconsider my Leper mindset because Leppy Granola gets validation.

Highwang fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Aug 16, 2016

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Wayne posted:

Doesn't it say something like "This is a symbol of ruin, place fire if you crave the Void"? :sweatdrop: But it is true you don't expect a curio to summon a bossfight, when all the rest either give you stress/quirks or treasure.

Been watching the videos so far, it's interesting to see different play styles. I can definitely sympathize with the "cover all ranks" Hellion, though I'm in the group that finds YAWP! and Adrenaline Rush (for use to help offset the fatigue debuff as well as cure status and HP) too indispensable to do that. Iron Swan kind of has a meta choice, since [especially on higher difficulties] back rank targets have much higher Dodge than the front-rank, so you basically choice between maxing out her damage and/or bleed chance and unloading on the front rank, or getting accuracy for the back rank. Plus once that 4th target is dead Iron Swan has no other use. I like it but my brother doesn't, and I can't really say he's wrong.

Two notes: one, if Blindfire did ever hit corpses (I didn't play it until Spring 2016) it doesn't now, so feel free to let it fly. I never used it either until we modded in the Musketeer and gave her Sidearm (same move) since I liked the animation for it, and found out it only hits active targets. That plus first-rank accessibility and the speed boost on a pretty decent healer, and it's actually not a bad move. And two, yeah, do not mess around with spiders:

That was the tank going into a 2 webber/2 spitter fight with full health, and died in 2 rounds. Part of that was bad luck (he failed the first Death's Door roll, and you have a 2/3 chance of making it), but still.

Yeah spiders seem like trash mobs like maggots or whatever and they mostly are but the synergy between webbers and spinners gives them some of the best AI behaviour in the game so every now and then they'll just focus down and murder a hero. Always Kill Spiders.

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

"Anyone who enjoys MWO is a shitty player. You have to hate it in order to be pro like me."

I'm actually just very good at curb stomping randoms on a team. :ssh:
I'm really enjoying these videos, they're oddly relaxing.

Do you ever reach a point in this game where you hit the peak and start consistently rolling over enemies a la XCOM? Or is it a constant struggle right to the end?

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

A Curvy Goonette posted:

I'm really enjoying these videos, they're oddly relaxing.

Do you ever reach a point in this game where you hit the peak and start consistently rolling over enemies a la XCOM? Or is it a constant struggle right to the end?

Its an inverse bell curve imo. Late game has numbers to bring back the bullshit. Hopefully that'll be demonstrated in oh sayyyyyyyyyyyyy 4 months?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

So if you have a late-game party wipe, is it still possible to do the ruins or similarly low-level areas to train the rookies that replace them or do the various regions level up in difficulty as the game goes on? And if the latter how to compensate for that?

• Locked thread