Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Sign me up for an Abomination

The most Original Character Donut Steel of all the heroes. Also really fun to use; I'm surprised they did such a great job implementing that idea.

If no Abominations, Plague Doc or Occultist I really love the Occultist, too. His character concept is awesome. And I'll never forget my first plague doc, lady was a hell of a badass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Plague Doc's job is biowarfare, not healing. She can heal status effects (remember back when Battlefield Medicine healed no HP and could *miss*?) but her real job is 'I have a multistun and a back-row multiblight, ya'll are eating my poo poo'.

Plague Doc will forever be a massive badass.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Fat Samurai posted:

Agreed. I'm bad at this game, and probably break way too many toons. I know I wouldn't be able to win NG+ due to the time limit, for example.

I'm genuinely interested in seeing how you work with a somewhat stable roster. :)

A stable roster assumes we aren't all going to die.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

My original Plague Doc had Love Interest and Nymphomania. As well as an obsession with killing. She was basically some kind of ridiculous larger than life conqueror type who would go out to battle, slaughter her foes, then return to her many concubines at the brothel.

Until she ate 3 crits in a row in one turn. RIP Plague Doc, you were a total badass.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The Leper got amazing when they buffed all his damage by like 15% to make up for the accuracy late in development.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Vestals are really good as long as you don't get trapped just using them to heal. A ranged attack that also heals the user and a good stun, plus the reliable 'oh poo poo' healing when someone's on death's door? Yes please.

They are not white mages, though.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The early (0-2 level) dungeons are entirely to lull you into a false sense of security.

I speak from experience. Terrible, dread experience.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Your Ancestor is a bad man who makes very poor choices.

Nothing good ever starts with "I grew tired of conventional extravagance!"

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

If I eventually get taken as a plague doc or horrible goatman, please remove the stupid numbers from my name.

They are kind of my eternal Lurk More shame from when I first regged.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Highwang posted:

The real joke is that Jester is suffocating this whole time under that mask.

That would explain why he's so worthless, generally.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Halser posted:

you take that back right now

Aside from his not-actually-that-useful-compared-to-having-a-real-PC buffs, what does he have on the Grave Robber, heroine of all wars and battles?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Fat Samurai posted:

Queen quotes.

Acceptable.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Wait, when did Finale get that?

This might be one of those cases where I think he's bad because I played mostly at a specific point before full release and haven't played much since.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Halser posted:

at around the same time they buffed him to be able to use songs in rank 3 instead of only rank 4, so he can slice and sing as needed.

Oh man that would have made him so good.

Oh, I see why you like him now. Sorry, I was using outdated info.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

See I got in in time for the Leper to be awesome, so I like him.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Halser posted:

Nah, remember, he's tired of conventional extravagance.

There's nothing conventional about the extravagance you get up to with an insane self-experimenting wizard.

It's funny because it works for both of them!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Dropbear posted:

The LP is really good, the dank meme edits are really bad and dragging it down. I'd recommend leaving at least the skill names alone, too.

"I'm playing a game that succeeds on the strength of its atmosphere and tone. It is time for more memes!" is an unconventional move that is not working out.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It's not a big deal, just I love the original tone and the fantastic art.

Man, this game has such good art design.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I think the idea of using them for the relatively grindy gathering runs is a decent compromise, maybe.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Pvt.Scott posted:

Lol if you don't kill Wilbur first every time.

Wilbur exists to prey on the very human desire to kill the weakest enemy first.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Genocyber posted:

Uh, Medium's still pretty easy dude. I wouldn't say it even gets remotely hard until Champion, and even then that quickly becomes pretty rote.

It'll hit you pretty hard the first time you saunter in there, though. Partly because there's a bunch of new enemies in Veteran dungeons and so the strategies you've worked out might not apply yet, so some bad luck early can hurt.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Nalesh posted:

Embrace the random, wang, make a yogg deck that's just entirely random spells and minions :v: Or play Bloodbowl, praise Nuffle.

But what the poo poo is this boss even :stonk:

The Ancestor said. His experiments in demon-summoning with pigs produced a lot of weird mutants so he flushed them down the toilet so as not to be bothered.

The Ancestor Does Not Make Good Decisions.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Apep727 posted:

Isn't that basically the whole theme of this game? With the addendum of "and now you have to clean up his mess"?

Yes, this game is basically a long, drawn out series of 'Why did that ever even seem like a good idea you crazy jackass' directed at your ancestor.

I really love his interjections where he describes these things as if they were the most normal courses of action and totally logical.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Fat Samurai posted:

I want to believe she was not a hag yet. The cannibalistic bit is a harder sell.

I know I keep harping on that line, but this is definitely one of those moments that I think 'I had grown tired of conventional extravagance' and shudder.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Arcade Rabbit posted:

The idea of The Ancestor standing above the sewer, slowly pouring a bubbling, moaning slurry of viscous demon pig flesh down into the depths is hilarious to me. Like, he knew this failed. He knew this failed super hard. He thought he'd be as good at demon summoning as he was with necromancy, and he very clearly wasn't. So now he has to dump this stuff somewhere, cause its not like burning it works and he can't keep it as a pet because its leaving rotting blood and pus all over the carpets. He can hear the chants of the pig men in the distance, as they worship their incredibly stupid king. So now he is sitting there, watching as it all just oozes and is just grateful The Hag isn't around to see how embarrassing the whole thing is. This was just such a terrible idea, but its okay! Cause that thing with the fishmen is going to be a real winner, he's sure of it.

The Ancestor is the worst (best) Sitcom Dad.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

This LP got me back into playing. :unsmith:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Krumbsthumbs posted:

However you're still wrong about Lepers. They're amazing, especially with Hew.

I had a long rant lined up about proper use of Hew and the like, but y'know what? Who cares.

I had a Leper hopped up on pig juice go Powerful.

There were no survivors.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Halser posted:

It's amazing how a simple +2DMG buff to his max and min damage took the Leper from a pretty bad choice to complete shitfucker.

There's one video I've been itching to post that shows just how loving powerful the Leper is but sadly that will have to wait until the end of the game.

The thing is, what it did was take his accuracy problem and adjust it next to his damage to make his overall damage come out ahead, but with a higher chance of whiffing completely. So he has higher average damage, just more of his damage is going to be lost to missing a swing compared to just not doing as much damage, if that makes sense. Which suddenly makes the risk-reward proposition really reasonable.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Gridlocked posted:

CATTLE DRIIIIIIIIVE

Why would anyone trying to convince someone noted incredible game Mount and Blade is incredible ever let them take a vanilla cattle drive quest.

Why.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Highwang posted:

To sustain themselves on my agony.

Play more Mount and Blade. It is so good. So, so good.

Incidentally, do you have a link to your cowtrial.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

whowhatwhere posted:

You forgot the important bit.

Seriously, try the Floris mod. If I remember right it EVEN FIXES CATTLE DRIVES.

Enough about M&B, sorry for the derail. Just one of my favorite games.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Also: Arbalest and Occultist are like bestest buddies. That Bandage buff helps his heal a lot and he can Mark for her, too.

This I have discovered due to being inspired to play again.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

KozmoNaut posted:

Pretty much sums up the entire backstory.

At no point in the entire story will the Ancestor make anything but the worst possible decisions.

You have to TRY to gently caress up as badly as the Ancestor. And the best part is he's so casual about it. "Well, better dump these hybrid pig-boy demons down into the sewers, nothing bad that can come of that." He's less Lovecraft and more Krieger.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

And finally Wang's heal-lust gets his guys killed.

E: Like, it's really appropriate the Vestal died for that, if anyone did.

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Oct 15, 2016

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

EponymousMrYar posted:

My first encounter with the Shambler was pulling 3 Antiquarians from the Town Event/Stagecoach and sending them with my leper on a merry moonlit adventure to get me tons of money.

I didn't lose my Leper. The antiquarians however...

My first encounter was discovering you don't have to gently caress with the Shrine to run into him.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Cassa posted:

For all his talk of 'action economy' he sure likes to waste it trying to get back 4 hp on his victims party members.

The thing to remember with healing is that preventing an attack that does 10 damage is a better use of an action than healing 6.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I'm still catching up, but I see that Highwang has now discovered why Arablest+Occultist are BFFs forever.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

double nine posted:

all-mark parties (arbalest-occultist-houndmaster-bounty hunter) are amazing

Any party that includes Man With Dog is automatically better for having Man With Dog.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

double nine posted:

You're forgetting the healing power of the Crusader - not that it ever amounts to much, it's on par with the arbalest basically.

Arbalest's heal is useful to have for two reasons: First, she has some really great +Heal trinkets unique to her (she has a +33% one) that ALSO affects her Camping Heal which can save a party from a run that's going bad in a jiffy. Second, the +Heal buff and the fact that her heal is extremely reliable helps her cover for her Good Buddy Occultist, who is her best friend forever. She provides a nice 'I absolutely can't afford to roll a 0 on this' backup option, plus the +Heal buff will turbocharge his healing if you really need to spend 2 actions trying to get someone back from a devastating crit or something (or just have a turn to burn).

Also, it's become a running joke with my friends that my adventurers are absolutely riddled with Syphilis. I have no idea how. Every adventure, someone comes back with that vile poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

inthesto posted:

I've pretty much learned all my tricks from this LP, and I'm down with camping before the boss fight too. Depending on your party loadout, it makes damage racing bosses almost too easy.

I'll admit that I fell into the AoE newbie trap too. While I'm sure AoE attacks do provide more damage per action on average, removing enemy actions is just so much more important. My buddy also informed me that AoE attacks only roll once for accuracy, so they tend to be very all-or-nothing which tilts the payoffs quite a bit. This is why I love barbaric yalp so much, though - it's basically a 2-for-1 on the action economy (2-for-1.25 if you count the debuff I guess)

AoEs are really useful for 'I can finish off this wounded guy and set up this healthy guy to die to a single-target in one action.'

They are bad for everything else.

• Locked thread