Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Dickweed
Mar 3, 2003

Yes, that kitty is probably the head of a multi-national conglomerated business...uh...thing.

I'm working with a small insurance agency and they have been advised by their corporate office to disk to disk encrypt their systems. They're running a mix of 7, 8.1 and 10 currently, and their systems do not have TPM chips so Bitlocker is not an option. I'm looking into Veracrypt, but 8.1/10 install GPT by default so those would have to be converted to MBR in order to work. I've done research into this but I'm not finding a good solution, does anyone know a way this can be done or is flatten/reinstall in MBR the only available option?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord
I'm not sure, but think the boot sectors can b re-written without having to start over. If you make a backup image of one drive and experiment with it, you can restore the image if it screws up too badly.

This VeraCrypt support thread here talks about "A preview of EFI support for GPT system encryption" which I suppose you could download and try. Is that what you're talking about?

https://sourceforge.net/p/veracrypt/tickets/36/

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
BitLocker doesn't require TPM? I'd really try to stick with a standard, supportable solution.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Google says:

On computers without a compatible TPM, BitLocker can provide encryption, but not the added security of locking keys with the TPM. In this case, the user is required to create a startup key that is stored on a USB flash drive.Oct 29, 2010

(which confirms Alereon)

Captain Dickweed
Mar 3, 2003

Yes, that kitty is probably the head of a multi-national conglomerated business...uh...thing.

Thanks for the help, guys. I will look into it and see what I can do.

• Locked thread