Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!

Let's Play Chameleon Twist

Chameleon Twist is one of the most unique platformers out there. It appropriately puts a "twist" on the genre, by giving you an all-purpose organic grappling hook in the form of a chameleon's tongue. You can move it in any fashion you could possibly maneuver the control stick, and the ensuing mechanics and design are a sight to behold. The game was unfortunately -much to my resentment- not exactly adored by the industry press. It wasn't hated, but for a game that introduces unique ideas to a then-crowded genre and explores them as thoroughly as possible, mediocre reviews are not acceptable.

What's this all about?

I'm going to be playing through all of Chameleon Twist's six stages, and showing off the secret room you get by collecting at least fifty crowns. Hopefully I'll be able to show you exactly how great this game is in the process, regardless of whether its deceptively challenging platforming completely kicks my rear end. Everyone should get to see this game from start to finish at least once.

That's the twist!

GamesAreSupernice fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Aug 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
This is certainly a unique platformer. I'm interested to see the many ways you can use your tongue.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I'm interested. The other LP of this game showed how this was a bad game. Perhaps you can show how this is a good game.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

What other LP?

ElTipejoLoco
Feb 27, 2013

Let me fix your avisynth scripts! It'll only take me a couple horus.
This one, I guess? Abandoned according to the master list.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

ElTipejoLoco posted:

This one, I guess? Abandoned according to the master list.

It's finished but it took a few years and three threads. They're now doing the sequel. The latest thread is here.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

A bad game? That's kind of baffling to me, I'm not sure what there is to complain about aside from minor perspective issues. I've seen very few platformers exploring new mechanics this thoroughly.

GamesAreSupernice fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jul 30, 2016

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Do your movements become slower when you swallow enemies?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Mraagvpeine posted:

Do your movements become slower when you swallow enemies?

Yes, it does! It seems to have a direct relation to how large your head is

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

ElTipejoLoco
Feb 27, 2013

Let me fix your avisynth scripts! It'll only take me a couple horus.
... Eh? When'd you unlock more chameleons to play as? Does picking different ones do anything other than change aesthetics?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

ElTipejoLoco posted:

... Eh? When'd you unlock more chameleons to play as? Does picking different ones do anything other than change aesthetics?

Oh, they're not unlockable, you choose them from the start and there's no difference between them besides their look.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Sand in my britches

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

That's actually a neat bit of gameplay with how you use the posts to control yourself in the sand.

This game seems pretty easy. Are the controls a challenge? Like for doing stuff like the tongue-stand-pole-vault?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Lotish posted:

That's actually a neat bit of gameplay with how you use the posts to control yourself in the sand.

This game seems pretty easy. Are the controls a challenge? Like for doing stuff like the tongue-stand-pole-vault?

The next level isn't so easy, and the controls depend on the individual I guess? Doing the tongue vault feels natural now, but it may be difficult to get the timing down if you're not used to it.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

At 1:54 if you defeat all the enemies, you get a crown.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Mraagvpeine posted:

At 1:54 if you defeat all the enemies, you get a crown.

Thank you, I never bothered to check. Adding it to the video description.

GamesAreSupernice fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Aug 3, 2016

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

The End

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
That was nice :). Though I am confused by the credits - what is up with the challenging level there that plays itself? Is that, like, the debug room? Or do you unlock it with all the crowns? Because it honestly looks like more fun than the entire rest of the game - I'm a sucker for pure platforming and think that the tongue is actually criminally underused just for that - gimmicks are fine and all, but apart from That Room you don't actually do all that much platforming beyond "vault once" and "swing around A Pole".

I did notice the twist you linked - could you drop a heads-up here once you start that project? I'm interested in seeing how the make this very tech-demo-y game into something fully fleshed out (from the looks of it). Don't get me wrong, it looks fun, but it's just six levels and maybe two hours of gameplay if you explore thoroughly, discounting of course "getting used to things as a kid". I feel like there could be so much more to it. I only watched a few videos on an LP of it, but for example Glover for the N64 also has a weird premise and strange mechanics and has very deep and interesting challenges in the first level. Or Bomberman 64 which I played to death as a kid, there's just so much more to the game.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

I can definitely see what you're getting at. I'll try to let you know when it starts, but It'll be a while since the game requires a lot of practice to show off properly. Oh, and the credits level isn't playable to my knowledge.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

You don't get anything special if you collect all the crowns from each level? Have you ever tried to collect them all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Mraagvpeine posted:

You don't get anything special if you collect all the crowns from each level? Have you ever tried to collect them all?

Oh, you do get something, just not that. You get a boss rush room.

• Locked thread