Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Dead Rising began in 2006 as a launch-window title for the Xbox 360, produced and created by Keiji Inafune, a.k.a. the Mega Man guy. It was initially pitched as a sort of zombie sandbox, where you were trapped for three days (about six hours in real time) in a zombie-infested American mega-mall and could use anything and everything as a weapon against them while putting on whatever clothes and hats you could find. Want to bludgeon six thousand zombies to death with a squeaky toy hammer while wearing a banana hammock? Go for it, you mad bastard.

In practice, the DR games are less sandboxes and more tense races against the clock. Events are scheduled to occur at set times throughout the game's duration, and missing the window for them will lock them off permanently; survivors die, the story ends, and you're stuck with one of the worse possible endings. If you do lose out on a story-critical mission, you can immediately restart the story with all of your upgrades intact, which lets you get through the early game faster. It's an addictive and difficult challenge, which also lets you kill thousands of zombies in whatever the hell way you like. Most importantly, it also lets you show up to deadly-serious story cutscenes wearing a child's superhero costume and a Servbot mask.

To celebrate the original game's 10-year anniversary, Capcom is releasing Dead Rising 4 at the end of 2016, and is porting the original Dead Rising to current-gen systems, marking the first time the game has been ported at all since its release.

Games

Dead Rising (2006, Xbox 360; 2016, PS4/XB1/PC)
Frank West, freelance photojournalist and meme fountain, investigates a mysterious media blackout in small-town Colorado. He discovers that the population has been virtually wiped out by an outbreak of a parasite that turns its hosts into zombies, and the handful of survivors have holed up inside the town's one claim to fame: its new, enormous megamall. Frank ends up trapped inside with them until the chopper pilot he hired comes back three days later, and in the meantime, saves who he can while trying to figure out what's going on.

If you're mostly familiar with the series from its later entries, DR will be a rude shock for you. It's incredibly difficult, the survivors' AI is notoriously bad, there are no combo weapons to speak of, and most critically, it plays its events almost entirely straight. What humor there is to find comes entirely from you, as you make Frank show up to somebody's emotional death scene in Daisy Dukes and a Mohawk haircut, or defeat one of the toughest bosses in the game by hiding behind a support column and hitting him at range with several dozen golf balls.

Frank's appearance in this game led to him showing up in a lot of Capcom crossovers over the course of the next decade, such as Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3, Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, and the first Project X Zone.

Dead Rising: Chop Till You Drop (2009, Wii)
An in-name-only "remake" of the original game, made with the same engine that powered Resident Evil 4. Nobody likes to talk about it much.

Dead Rising 2 (2010, PS3/Xbox 360/PC)
Five years after the events of the original game, you play as motocross racer and single dad Chuck Greene, who comes to Fortune City (a hastily built "adult playground" in Nevada, after an offscreen outbreak in Las Vegas that more or less trashed the city) to participate in a reality show and ends up trapped inside for three days by a zombie attack. Chuck's goal is primarily to find more medicine for his infected six-year-old daughter Katey, but he's also framed for causing the outbreak in the first place and must look for ways to prove his innocence.

DR2 is still probably the most widely known game in the series due to its cross-platform launch. It's a bit easier than the original, owing largely to the new mechanic of "combo weapons." Chuck can use his mechanical skills to turn two mundane items into one implement of destruction, some of which will actively trivialize the game for you. The survivors are also much smarter than they were in the original, although that isn't saying much, and bringing a mob of them with guns with you to a boss fight is both a valid tactic and a way to break several encounters.

Most crucially, DR2 marks the point when development on the series moved out of Japan to what's now Capcom Vancouver (formerly Blue Castle Games). It immediately gets a bit wackier. Many survivors are eccentric or outright stupid, and several psychopaths are more 2000s-kid "random" than frightening. At its worst, Chuck is stuck in the role of long-suffering straight man in a world that's gone mad around him.

The story-relevant DLC for DR2 is Case Zero, a short prequel set in a small town in Nevada shortly after Katey was originally infected, where Chuck must search for a way to escape before the military moves in and quarantines Katey; and Case West, set immediately after the main game's Ending A, where Frank West shows up and recruits Chuck in an attempt to discover the truth behind what Chuck learned at the end of DR2. Neither will be included in DR2's HD rerelease.

Dead Rising 2: Off the Record (2011, PS3/Xbox 360; 2016, PS4/XB1/PC)
A planned DLC expansion that, according to the developers, got out of hand, the aggressively non-canon Off the Record reimagines the events of DR2 as they'd have occurred if Frank had been the protagonist. It reshuffles many of the game's events, adds a couple of new ones (new survivors, two new psychopath encounters), includes a couple of new combo weapons and most of the new ones from the Case West DLC (the Sterilizer and Impact Hammer are not joining us), and adds a new amusement-park zone to the Fortune City map. Most crucially, it has a very different ending, and not just because Frank's there.

Inexplicably, this is still the only game in the franchise with a proper "sandbox mode," which is available from the start. It's a lousy way to level but a great place to grind cash and search Fortune City for things like combo cards.

Dead Rising 3 (2013, XB1; 2015, Steam)
Fifteen years after DR2, during an outbreak in the Californian city of "Los Perdidos" (Los Angeles with the serial numbers filed off), a mechanic named Nick Ramos searches for an escape route.

DR3 was a launch title for the Xbox One and has a lot of relatively controversial new features. Los Perdidos is a darker environment with a more sprawling map that's simultaneously harder to navigate; you can bring certain combat-capable survivors with you as AI-controlled buddies, although you can't start psychopath fights with them in tow; Nick's upgrade system includes regenerating health and the ability to build combo weapons with any items from a relevant category, which largely removes the need for scrounging; and equipment lockers in a bunch of safe rooms throughout the city will resupply you for free. It's also incredibly easy compared to the previous two games, although "Nightmare Mode" makes it much more like the originals.

DLC for DR3 includes the "Untold Stories of Los Perdidos," four bonus missions told from the point of view of characters who play an incidental role in the main story. Two of them are boss fights, a third is a character who you find dead at one point halfway through, and the fourth is a character you'd only have encountered if you were one of three people who played the smart glass-exclusive missions in DR3. Each Untold Story also unlocks a couple of new weapons for use in the main game, and most crucially, none of them have any sort of timer. If you simply want to dick around, you can fire up any given Untold Story and play for as long as you like, making the DLC missions a sort of unofficial sandbox mode. The DLC comes free with the Steam version of DR3.

Xbox One owners can also purchase Super Ultra Dead Rising 3' Arcade Remix Hyper Edition EX + α, which recycles parts of DR3's map in order to turn the game into a four-player arcade-style beat-'em-up. Inexplicably this is not available on Steam.

If you'd like to read a questionably canonical prequel comic, here you go.

Dead Rising 4 (2016, XB1/PC; 2017?, PS4)
A timed exclusive for the Xbox One and Windows 10, DR4 is set a year after DR3. Frank has retired to become a professor, but is dragged back into the field by his student Vick, where they discover a facility near Williamette that's conducting experiments on zombies. When Frank escapes, he's framed and forced into a life as a fugitive, but is dragged back to Williamette when he discovers A) there's been a new outbreak there and B) Vick is investigating it.

DR4 is notable for abandoning the series's traditional reliance on time limits, and will be a more traditional sandbox experience. Frank will be able to assemble both combo weapons and vehicles, just as Nick could, and can also steal a powered exoskeleton to turn himself into a low-rent superhero.

Spin-Offs

Dead Rising: Road to Fortune
A four-issue comic book from IDW Publishing, Road to Fortune is set between the first two games. It mostly serves to fill in details from both games' plot, such as the incident where Chuck's wife died, and how Frank's life fell apart after his short-lived tenure as a national celebrity.

Dead Rising: Watchtower (2015)
A full-length feature film on Crackle, Watchtower is set between DR2 and DR3. An outbreak in Oregon suddenly goes hot again after a number of survivors' Zombrex chips malfunction, and a local reporter named Chase Carter is caught on the ground in the infection zone. The real reason to watch this is Rob Riggle ("The Daily Show") as Frank West, who spends the entire movie as a celebrity guest on Chase's news show, being an incredible rear end in a top hat. It's really pretty amazing to watch.

Dead Rising: Endgame (2016)
A sequel to the previous movie, Endgame is also on Crackle. Three years on, Chase is still trying to figure out the conspiracy from the original film. It's hard to discuss without spoilers, but it's a high-end TV movie at heart, complete with Billy Zane playing a psychotic doctor and a couple of genuinely decent fight scenes.

Wanderer fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Nov 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

WELLLLLL HE AIN'T MY BOY BUT THE BROTHER IS HEAVY.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

I don't have the Bone version of DR3 installed so I can't check right now, but I'm pretty sure the nightmare mode was in that version and didn't get added in the PC port.

I had a blast with the original game when it came out (jesus christ it really has been ten years :gonk:) but I'm not sure I'm able to deal with the difficulty and general jankiness anymore. Might still pick up the remaster when that comes out, though..

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I really like dead rising 1 and 2. Three was almost enough to convince me to buy an xbox one but I refused.

Now there's a fourth one coming up. Oh boy!

I really, really like the mechanic of just grabbing anything that isn't bolted down and throwing it at something or whacking somebody over the head with it.

Especially the king salmon in DR1 and food :haw:

How feasible is an unarmed only run?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

EorayMel posted:

How feasible is an unarmed only run?

Depends on what you're trying to accomplish and which game you're in. Off the top of my head, it'd be the most feasible in Off the Record.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I had no idea there even WAS a Dead Rising 4. After seeing a bit of 3 it looked way too different in tone for me to enjoy, so I just kind of ignored it. Off the Record is the only one I've actually played myself, and I only beat it a couple weeks ago, but it was still a pretty fun game. I feel like the combo card mechanic is a little iffy though. I get the idea of putting poo poo together, but since the items are so specific it really felt more like luck if I happened to find anything particularly useful to combine.

I don't really know anything about how Microsoft is dealing with Windows 10 games, do games for that ever become available for earlier operating systems? I don't really want to upgrade anytime soon.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Gonna get the remaster but I'm hoping they release a pack with all 3. I love the games. Although I never did play 3.

Also, the humor of the games does these weird shifts from funny to dark really fast.

Also, remaster the wii version, lol. That definitely was an odd decision to port it to wii.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I would have been bitterly disappointed had this not been the first post.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Momomo posted:

I had no idea there even WAS a Dead Rising 4. After seeing a bit of 3 it looked way too different in tone for me to enjoy, so I just kind of ignored it. Off the Record is the only one I've actually played myself, and I only beat it a couple weeks ago, but it was still a pretty fun game. I feel like the combo card mechanic is a little iffy though. I get the idea of putting poo poo together, but since the items are so specific it really felt more like luck if I happened to find anything particularly useful to combine.

I don't really know anything about how Microsoft is dealing with Windows 10 games, do games for that ever become available for earlier operating systems? I don't really want to upgrade anytime soon.

3 is actually very similar in tone to 2 in so far as you can still dress up in silly outfits and do silly things to zombies. It just doesn't look it. It's weird, it's like Capcom wanted the developers to go for a gritty Walking Dead style aesthetic but the gameplay is still about crafting the dumbest weapons possible, crafting vehicles together to create murder machines and to kill hundreds of zombies as you do side missions, main missions and fight psychopaths. The main problem with 3 though is that it's far too easy for reasons detailed in the opening post. I still enjoyed it though, even if most fans seemingly dislike it.

Anyway, glad to see this thread made. I love the Dead Rising games even if many simply can't get over the concept of a timer ticking down and even if 4 is somehow easier than 3, I'll be getting it simply because while there are a million other zombie games out there in the market, there aren't really any that are similar to Dead Rising.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/new-dead-rising-4-video-features-a-slurpee-tornado/1100-6442186/

I'd be a bit more interested in a game that wasn't quite so much about bizarre combo weapons, but I have to say: turning a slushie machine into some kind of freak freon tornado is pretty slick.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Here's hoping 4 nails the feel of 1 and off the record. For reasons I can't quite explain (well I could, but I'd sound like a massive dickhead) if it's not Frank West it just doesn't feel like Dead Rising to me.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I think Frank is so well liked because he's relatable in a weird way. He's an rear end in a top hat and kind of unlikeable but considering the situations he gets thrust in, that makes him oddly endearing as a protagonist. Chuck was cool in a Clint Eastwood style way but he felt like a Hollywood version of a hero as a result. Nick on the other hand tried to be more realistic but ended up coming across as cowardly and whiny as a result and it creates ludonarrative dissonance when he's doing crazy stunts with weapons and dressed up really silly and shows no fear during gameplay, but in cutscenes he's clearly terrified of the events unfolding around him.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Yeah Nick was really unfun. Like when you dressed Frank up in a dress he'd do a weird giggle or something fun, but Nick would sigh and moan. It's not a big thing, but it just really stuck out.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Yeah, Chuck was more of a stoic badass hero parody and they seemed self-aware when they made him. Nick was just straight-up a regular human being so he was really boring and milquetoast, which is what you don't want in a game like Dead Rising.

Also absolutely none of the supporting characters were memorable in any way, and the story of Dead Rising 3 felt incomplete. It seemed like there were cutscenes or something I was missing because everybody seemed to know each other and what was going on but I barely did, or barely cared.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
3 was aggressively boring.

Wish Off the Record was cheaper than £1 because I think 2 was my favourite.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

King Vidiot posted:

Yeah, Chuck was more of a stoic badass hero parody and they seemed self-aware when they made him. Nick was just straight-up a regular human being so he was really boring and milquetoast, which is what you don't want in a game like Dead Rising.

Also absolutely none of the supporting characters were memorable in any way, and the story of Dead Rising 3 felt incomplete. It seemed like there were cutscenes or something I was missing because everybody seemed to know each other and what was going on but I barely did, or barely cared.

Part of the problem with the supporting characters is that Dead Rising 3 began in media res. In Dead Rising 1 you were an outsider who willingly got involved in the outbreak and in 2, you were there when the outbreak started. In 3, the game begins 3 days into the outbreak and the supporting characters were all people Nick either knew before the outbreak or grew to knew in the 3 days since the outbreak started and when the game actually begins.

I wouldn't say the supporting cast was a complete bust though. Rhonda and Gary were pretty great especially towards the end of the game and Dick was... Dick. I suppose that's the problem when you want the co-op character to be someone different than just another copy of the protagonist so he ends up appearing awkwardly in cutscenes doing pretty much nothing.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Since Dead Rising 4 is back in Willamette does this mean that the Ghost of Otis will call us up constantly and get angry when Zombies interrupt the call?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Judge Tesla posted:

Since Dead Rising 4 is back in Willamette does this mean that the Ghost of Otis will call us up constantly and get angry when Zombies interrupt the call?

Maybe Otis' son will call Frank up constantly this time and it ends up being a psychopath battle.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I think Frank is so well liked because he's relatable in a weird way. He's an rear end in a top hat and kind of unlikeable but considering the situations he gets thrust in, that makes him oddly endearing as a protagonist.

One of the things I don't think people give the original game enough credit for is, as I mentioned in the OP, how it's played almost completely straight. There's no real irony to it, and Frank makes a good viewpoint character; he's uninvolved and self-interested, but when his back is to the wall he at least tries to do the right thing.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Chuck was cool in a Clint Eastwood style way but he felt like a Hollywood version of a hero as a result.

I'm replaying DR2 right now and I actually like Chuck quite a lot. He's not just stoic in a traditional Video Game Protagonist way, but rather, he lets his personality shine through when he's around Katey. The rest of the time, what he's doing and who he's talking to doesn't matter as much.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

If Dead Rising 4 doesn't feature at least a remix of Gone Guru I'm going to be really upset.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Frank's a good guy, a little selfish at times because he just wants to get a good scoop regardless of the constantly shifting situation with Carlito and Isabella but he does do the right thing, even though he grumbles about it a lot at first.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

My friend and I put in way too many hours playing co-op in OTR, so more of that would be a good thing.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Wanderer posted:

One of the things I don't think people give the original game enough credit for is, as I mentioned in the OP, how it's played almost completely straight. There's no real irony to it, and Frank makes a good viewpoint character; he's uninvolved and self-interested, but when his back is to the wall he at least tries to do the right thing.

Yeah, Dead Rising 1 is kind of weird in how there's a lot of goofy elements to the game but the main story is played completely straight. The sequels tend to be a little more self-aware and silly which can be fun too, but in doing so they lack the charm of the original game I find. They're still great games though.

Wanderer posted:

I'm replaying DR2 right now and I actually like Chuck quite a lot. He's not just stoic in a traditional Video Game Protagonist way, but rather, he lets his personality shine through when he's around Katey. The rest of the time, what he's doing and who he's talking to doesn't matter as much.

Oh don't get me wrong, I liked Chuck as a protagonist and he has great interactions with Frank in Case West which sadly never came to any console besides the 360, he's just very much a stoic Clint Eastwood-esque badass which makes him a bit more unrealistic than Frank or even Nick are as protagonists. Though Frank is how you do a realistic protagonist right and Nick... isn't.

It's kind of a shame that Chuck gets the short end of the stick in Off The Record and Dead Rising 3 though. Frank on the other hand seemed to be pretty successful even in the leaked footage of Dead Rising 4 pre-alpha I've seen.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Fun canonical detail from the Road to Fortune comic: Frank won a Pulitzer for The Williamette Incident, the book he wrote about the events of the first game. Then he had a talk show for a year or two before it got unceremoniously canned.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

If you're literally the only journalist reporting from inside the site of a terrorist attack involving zombies, which nobody knew could exist prior to the incident, I'd imagine you'd become pretty famous. But Frank basically Ashed his way to the top, he just happened to be the right guy in the wrong place and as it turned out he was really good at killing zombies.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

King Vidiot posted:

If you're literally the only journalist reporting from inside the site of a terrorist attack involving zombies, which nobody knew could exist prior to the incident, I'd imagine you'd become pretty famous. But Frank basically Ashed his way to the top, he just happened to be the right guy in the wrong place and as it turned out he was really good at killing zombies.

Not just zombies, crazy people too. And the military trying to cover it up. He also somehow survived being surrounded by zombies in the true ending.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

In Road to Fortune #1, they go into how he got out after the true ending of the first game: he found a loaded rifle with a grenade launcher attachment in Brock's tank and shot his way out with Isabella.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Yeah, Dead Rising 1 is kind of weird in how there's a lot of goofy elements to the game but the main story is played completely straight. The sequels tend to be a little more self-aware and silly which can be fun too, but in doing so they lack the charm of the original game I find. They're still great games though.

Which is exactly the same reason why Saints Row 2 is the best. YOU make it goofy by dressing up like a Servbot and shooting your dying friend then chasing their killer down on a tiny bike.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I just can't wait until the original comes out on PC now so that I can do 14 hour survivor all over again :suicide:

VV My 360 literally RRoD'd within a day or two after doing that. But at least I got my Real Mega Buster and Real Lazer Sword!

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Aug 2, 2016

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

King Vidiot posted:

I just can't wait until the original comes out on PC now so that I can do 14 hour survivor all over again :suicide:

Well look on the bright side, at least you won't worry about your console melting and becoming unusable because you left it on for so long now.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Easily one of the best co-op experiences ever.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

King Vidiot posted:

VV My 360 literally RRoD'd within a day or two after doing that. But at least I got my Real Mega Buster and Real Lazer Sword!

I only made it to Day 5 of that mode before I died of boredom, I had one of the later post RRoD crisis models so my Xbox didn't explode afterwards.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I remember playing my Game Boy while Frank stood on that hidden ledge in Paradise Plaza where the SMG was hidden, waiting until the last second to eat another Well Done Steak.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Dead Rising 3 was a lot of fun and was just as goofy as its predecessors, its aesthetic is just more of a John Carpenter vibe right down to the lo-fi synthesizer music. I played it on PC and it runs just fine, I didn't have any more trouble running it than I do other current-gen games.

If you've been scared off because they put out one trailer to try and make it appeal to the Call of Duty crowd it's totally worth playing and goes on sale on Steam pretty regularly.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Guy Mann posted:

Dead Rising 3 was a lot of fun and was just as goofy as its predecessors, its aesthetic is just more of a John Carpenter vibe right down to the lo-fi synthesizer music. I played it on PC and it runs just fine, I didn't have any more trouble running it than I do other current-gen games.

If you've been scared off because they put out one trailer to try and make it appeal to the Call of Duty crowd it's totally worth playing and goes on sale on Steam pretty regularly.

I liked Dead Rising 3 well enough, but I do think it's the weakest in the series. The timer isn't even an issue unless you play Nightmare mode and the gritty art style and aesthetic just doesn't mesh very well with the combo weapons and vehicles you can use. The streets of Los Perdidos have a lot of interesting things hidden away but just aren't as charming as the shopping mall from the first game or the casino complex from the second. The bosses all being based around the deadly sins is an interesting concept but often felt too silly even by Dead Rising standards and it clashes when Nick is acting cowardly in the cutscenes introducing them before he does awesome stunts and hands their rear end to them in gameplay. The supporting cast are also a bit of a hard sell too, though I did grow to like Rhonda and Gary by the end.

It is worth playing despite these faults and I do think it has a bit of an unfair reputation where people wrote it off because the reveal trailer was so poorly done it looked like it was trying to appeal to the Call of Duty audience and people quit early on because they couldn't get over the jarring tone and ludonarrative dissonance and the PC version seems to randomly perform either really well or really crappily depending entirely on your system. It also definitely concludes the Dead Rising storyline and I'd have been happy if the series ended there.

So while I'm looking forward to Dead Rising 4, I am kind of questioning why it needs to exist or at least exist in the same continuity of the previous games, 3 wrapped up all the loose plot ends from the first two games.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I will always fondly remember Dead Rising 3 for when I threw a head of lettuce at Gary so many times that he aggroed and locked my roommate out of the good ending.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I think Dead Rising 3 was redeemed by the huge dong flamethrower with tank balls, and the firework forklift. That being said I'll probably never replay it anytime soon.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I'm really tempted to get a cheap used copy of DR3 for the Xbone so I can pick up Super Ultra Dead Rising 3' Arcade Remix Hyper Edition EX + α. I already own the base game on Steam, though.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

So while I'm looking forward to Dead Rising 4, I am kind of questioning why it needs to exist or at least exist in the same continuity of the previous games, 3 wrapped up all the loose plot ends from the first two games.

It's not like the first three games were part of a tightly-constructed, deliberate trilogy. It "needs to exist" because the developers enjoy making it and people enjoy playing it, simple as that.

I do think that DR4 is leaning a bit too heavily on Frank's real or perceived star power, though. Frank's not a bad character by any means, particularly in the current market where he's unique for not being a thirty-something ball of anger issues, but I don't think he's quite as crucial to the game's success as Capcom seems to think he is.

Fun side note: every post on the Facebook wall about DR4 has a series of increasingly angry responses about how T.J. Rotolo is not voicing Frank this time around.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
They aren't wrong... :bahgawd:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
DR2 and Off The Record were basically the same game as Dead Rising 1 with some quality of life improvements new mechanics, DR3 was the first one to actually feel like a proper sequel instead of just a level pack even if it wound up being one of the weaker games in the series. It's part of why I'm pretty OK with a DR4; if it improved on 3 the way that 2/OTR did for 1 it will be great.

Wanderer posted:

Fun side note: every post on the Facebook wall about DR4 has a series of increasingly angry responses about how T.J. Rotolo is not voicing Frank this time around.

I like Frank but the games and fans are really Johnny Gat-ing him and I'd rather they try something new instead of running him into the ground.

Guy Mann fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Aug 3, 2016

• Locked thread