Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

UNDER RAGING STORM CLOUDS, A LONE
l figure stands silhouetted against the ancient
walls of Castle Ravenloft. The vampire
Count Strahd von Zarovich stares
down a sheer cliff at the village below. A
cold, bitter wind spins dead leaves about
him, billowing his cape in the darkness.
Lightning splits the clouds overhead, casting stark
white light across him. Strahd turns to the sky, revealing
the angular muscles of his face and hands. He
has a look of power-and of madness. His once handsome
face is contorted by a tragedy darker than the
night itself.

Rumbling thunder pounds the castle spires. The
wind's howling increases as Strahd turns his gaze back
to the village. Far below, yet not beyond his ken, a party
of adventurers has just entered his domain. Strahd's
face forms a twisted smile as his dark plan unfolds.
He knew they were coming, and he knows why they
have come-all according to his plan. He, the master of
Ravenloft, will attend to them.

Another lightning flash rips through the darkness, its
thunder echoing through the castle's towers. But Strahd
is gone. Only the howling of the wind-or perhaps a lone
wolf-fills the midnight air. The master of Raven loft is
having guests for dinner. And you are invited.

"Werewolves in the mist!" You've heard these dreaded
words spoken again and again by farmers, merchants,
and adventurers alike. The hamlets east of Daggerford
have fallen prey to a pack of werewolves that spills out of
the Misty Forest on nights of the full moon, cloaked in
crawling mist that seems to follow them wherever they
go. The beasts spread death and mayhem, slaughtering
adults and stealing children before retreating back into
the woods. Others have tried to combat the werewolf
menace, with little success.

The game shall be Play by Post, with a bit of Roll20 to speed up combat.

Normal character creation using point buy, start at 1st level.

Pick a faction, it may effect what your starting mission/gear is.

The game is intended to extend to 10th level or so.

You will level at certain story points.

I have made a Discord channel for discussion. https://discord.gg/rCBvd

Ryuujin fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jul 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Interest post. All I'm gonna need is the PHB, right?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Mmmmaybe.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
You can totally play off just the PHB. If you don't know what the factions are just ask.

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011
Do you mind someone kinda newish playing? I DM'd for a 5th campaign that I muddled through wrote, but I haven't used the system as a player yet, and my experience outside is relatively low.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
That is fine, you wouldn't be the only one who has had little experience with the system applying.

By the way here is a page with a list of the Factions, each can be clicked on to get more information on the faction, including their goals and who is most likely to join them.

http://dnd.wizards.com/dungeons-and-dragons/story/factions

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
Withdrawn

Anomalous Amalgam fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Aug 5, 2016

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?

Yveth, Monster Hunter Fighter
Once a young rascal who dreamed of adventuring, unbeknownst to her a group of Harpers trained monsters into her town. Her parents, who moonlighted as thieves, pushed a crossbow into her hands and died covering her escape. The group responsible took her in out of guilt, and taught her how to vent her hatred on the world's monsters.

quote:

Fighter 4
Harper
Monster Hunter

16 Dex
16 Con*
11 Str*
10 the rest

40 HP
15 AC

Initiative
1d20+3

ATTACK EXPRESSIONS
Double Hand Crossbow
2#1d20+7; 1d6+3
2#2d20k1+7; 1d6+3
2#2d20l1+7; 1d6+3

Hand Crossbow
1d20+7; 1d6+3
2d20k1+7; 1d6+3
2d20l1+7; 1d6+3

Sling
1d20+7; 1d4+3
2d20k1+7; 1d4+3
2d20l1+7; 1d4+3

Dual Wielding
2#1d20+5; 1d6+3; 1d6
2#2d20k1+5; 1d6+3; 1d6
2#2d20l1+5; 1d6+3; 1d6

Whip
1d20+5; 1d4+3
2d20k1+5; 1d4+3
2d20l1+5; 1d4+3

Skills: Acrobatics, Athletics, Insight, Investigation, Perception, Stealth, and Survival
Tools: Thief, Flute

BACKGROUND: EAR TO THE GROUND
You are in frequent contact with people in the segment of society that your chosen quarries move through. These people might be associated with the criminal underworld, the rough-and-tumble folk of the streets, or members of high society. This connection comes in the form of a contact in any city you visit, a person who provides information about the people and places of the local area.

FIGHTING STYLE: ARCHERY
You gain a +2 bonus to attack rolls you make with ranged weapons.

SECOND WIND
You have a limited well of stamina that you can draw on to protect yourself from harm. On your turn, you can use a bonus action to regain hit points equal to 1d10 + your fighter level.
Once you use this feature, you must finish a short or long rest before you can use it again.

ACTION SURGE
Starting at 2nd level, you can push yourself beyond your normal limits for a moment. On your turn, you can take one additional action on top of your regular action and a possible bonus action.
Once you use this feature, you must finish a short or long rest before you can use it again. Starting at 17th level, you can use it twice before a rest, but only once on the same turn.

CROSSBOW EXPERT
• You ignore the loading quality of crossbows with which you are proficient.
• Being within 5 feet of a hostile creature doesn’t impose disadvantage on your ranged attack rolls.
• When you use the Attack action and attack with a onehanded weapon, you can use a bonus action to attack with a loaded hand crossbow you are holding.

SHARPSHOOTER
• Attacking at long range doesn't impose disadvantage on your ranged weapon attack rolls.
• Your ranged weapon attacks ignore half cover and three-quarters cover.
• Before you make an attack with a ranged weapon that you are proficient with, you can choose to take a -5 penalty to the attack roll. If the attack hits, you add +10 to the attack’s damage

As an archetypal Monster Hunter, you are an expert at defeating supernatural threats. Typically mentored by an older, experienced Monster Hunter, you learn to overcome a variety of unnatural defenses and attacks, including those of undead, lycanthropes, and other creatures of horror.

Bonus Proficiencies
When you choose this archetype at 3rd level, you gain proficiency in two of the following skills of your choice: Arcana, History, Insight, Investigation, Nature, or Perception. You can gain proficiency with a tool of your choice in place of one skill choice.

Combat Superiority
When you choose this archetype at 3rd level, you gain a set of abilities that are fueled by special dice called superiority dice.

Superiority Dice. You have four superiority dice, which are d8s. A superiority die is expended when you use it. You regain all of your expended superiority dice when you finish a short or long rest.
You gain another superiority die at 7th level and one more at 15th level.

Using Superiority Dice. You can expend superiority dice to gain a number of different benefits:
• When you make a weapon attack against a creature, you can expend one superiority die to add it to the attack roll. You can use this ability before or after making the attack roll, but before any of the effects of the attack are applied.
• When you damage a creature with a weapon attack, you can expend one superiority die to add it to the damage roll. You can use this ability after rolling damage. If the attack causes the target to make a Constitution saving throw to maintain concentration, it has disadvantage on that save.
• When you make an Intelligence, a Wisdom, or a Charisma saving throw, you can expend one superiority die to add it to the roll. You can use this feature only before you learn if the save succeeded or failed.
• When you make a Wisdom (Perception) check to detect a hidden creature or object, or a Wisdom (Insight) check to determine if someone is lying to you, you can expend one superiority die to add it to the roll. You can use this feature after seeing the total but before learning if you succeeded or failed.

Hunter’s Mysticism
At 3rd level, your study of the supernatural gives you a limited ability to use magic. You can cast detect magic as a ritual. You can cast protection from evil and good, but you cannot cast it again with this feature until you finish a long rest. Wisdom is your spellcasting ability for these spells.
In addition, you gain the ability to speak one of the following languages of your choice: Abyssal, Celestial, or Infernal.

Monster Slayer
At 7th level, whenever you expend superiority dice to add to a damage roll, you can expend up to two dice instead of just one, adding both to the roll. Both dice are expended as normal. If the target of your attack is an aberration, a fey, a fiend, or an undead, you deal maximum damage with both dice, instead of rolling them.

Improved Combat Superiority
At 10th level, your superiority dice turn into d10s.
At 18th level, they turn into d12s.

Relentless
Starting at 15th level, when you roll initiative and have no superiority dice remaining, you regain one superiority die.

CHARACTERISTICS
Personality Trait: I am incredibly slow to trust. Those who seem the fairest often have the most to hide.
Ideal: Chains are meant to be broken, as are those who would forge them. (Chaotic)
Bond: Something important was taken from me, and I aim to steal it back.
Flaw: My hatred of my enemies is blind and unreasoning.

EQUIPMENT
You start with the following equipment, in addition to
the equipment granted by your background:
• (b) leather, longbow, and 20 arrows 61 gp
• (b) two martial weapons (2 handxbows) 75gp
• (a) a light crossbow and 20 bolts 25gp
• (a) a dungeoneer’s pack
background: clothes and 20gp

181gp leftover
pre:
45gp studded leather
 .1gp sling and bullets 4cp/20
11gp blowgun (also a flute) and 50 needles
10gp short sword
 2gp whip
25gp scimitar
 4gp 80 bolts (100 total)
25gp thieves' tools
15gp hooded and bullseye lantern and 1sp/pint oil
25gp climber's kit
 5gp healer's kit
120ish silver pieces
Additional loot
pre:
heavy xbow, 20 bolts

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Oct 22, 2016

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Ryuujin posted:

If you don't know what the factions are just ask.

So what are the factions?

Edit: how open are you to people who've not got a ton of D&D/5e experience?

Drone fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jul 30, 2016

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
The factions are listed in the link I posted in this previous post.

Ryuujin posted:

That is fine, you wouldn't be the only one who has had little experience with the system applying.

By the way here is a page with a list of the Factions, each can be clicked on to get more information on the faction, including their goals and who is most likely to join them.

http://dnd.wizards.com/dungeons-and-dragons/story/factions

And as two or three people have already asked I am okay with you having little experience, so long as you don't disappear or flake on the game and post in a timely fashion.

The factions are:

Emerald Enclave, kind of nature lovers.
Harpers, spymasters and spellcasters who secretly take down tyrants and stuff.
Lord's Alliance, basically knights and lords who feel that lords have all the rights to lead. One of two factions that allows Lawful Evil characters.
Order of the Fist, a rather militant faction that does whatever necessary to take down supernatural evil. Not too keen on arcane spellcasters, undead, demons, etc.
Zhentarim, a secret organization. Kind of a thieve's/assassin's guild like thing, all about personal power, the other faction that allows Lawful Evil characters.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Hey I'm interested, how combat heavy do you think this'll be?

The thing is that I'm in eutz so I'm a bit shifted which might be annoying for real-time roll20 action. I can deal with late nights from time to time but not every day :v:

Also what's the time window to submit apps?

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Interest seems fairly high compared to my last recruit, so about a week?

The game will probably have a fair bit of combat, lots of undead and monsters, though certainly certain sets pieces can be dealt with in a non combat manner. Depends on what the group does.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
What loadout are you using for starting equipment? Is it packages or gold, or either, or [other]?

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Well I'll probably throw something together just for the fun of it and I'll try to hop onto the discord to talk timezones at some point.

Ah the troubles of being eurogoon.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Dan Fei Son

Gather round, you soon shall hear
Of a warrior that's very dear
A paragon of brains o'er brawn
She is the mighty Dan Fei Son

As a babe is when she came
To our temple in the pouring rain
Her parents are both dead and gone
But do not pity Dan Fei Son

As their own the monks did raise
And taught her all the martial ways
To an adult from just a fawn
How glorious for Dan Fei Son

Now that she has reached her peak
A pilgrimage she now must seek
To see the world that stretches on
Off she goes, that Dan Fei Son

And to the present we're now found
To Ravenloft we find her bound
As the sky reflects the setting sun
What will befall our Dan Fei Son?

Dan Fei Son is an orphan who was raised and taught martial arts by a remote monastery. Her training has left her quite serene, and it takes a lot to get to her. As a rite of adulthood, she was sent out on a pilgrimage to see the world and set off on her own adventures, and she has been hiring herself out as a hired hand to make ends meet. Despite her teachings to abandon the ego and all desire, she has found herself enjoying the luxuries of the outside world a bit too much, which she masks as simple learning.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Aug 4, 2016

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
I would say you start with the gear from class and background, but can "Sell" any of it back for 100% gold value to get different gear.

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011
Marcos

A military man trying to make the world a better place. Just because he likes breaking stuff doesn't mean he's a bad guy, just a bit careless.

A short(ish) backstory:
Marcos had never expected his time in the army to be so distanced from fighting. He had spent his child and teen years building his body, training with a variety of weapons, and having discipline drilled into his head by his father. He was always at the top of his class in training, and was eventually selected to be a part of the elite ballista corps. His family had never been prouder. He knew he was an important cog in the battlefield machine—but his stories were nothing like the stories his father and grandfather shared. “I had my back to the wall, but the orc missed his swing! I took the opportunity and stuck him like a squealing pig,” his father would say over and over. “His magic was nothing compared to my blade,” his grandfather told him. “Oh, I loaded the bolt great today. Lined up a great shot. Can't say it hit anything, but the sound sure was impressive.”

Marcos wasn't one to be bitter, at least not for terribly long. He wrote to his family often, and his mother was always happy to hear that he wasn't ever in any danger. His father was just proud (and a bit jealous) that his son had outstripped him in service. “What does it matter that you don't see the men you kill? You know what I'd have done to sit on the backlines? There's glory in war, no matter how you fight it,” his father told him once when he complained about the ballista while on leave.

While he felt his talents rotted on the vine waiting behind the command line, he found a fast friendship with another soldier named Sonna. She felt similarly to him—she had joined the army to bring glory to Tyr, and she didn't feel that she could rightly do so from so far back. While the corps was setting up, she would regale the unit with tales of old heroes vanquishing evil and going on mighty quests. Marcos was fascinated by these stories. The hero always won, and brought the light back into peoples' lives. He looked up to these heroes and longed for the day he could match blades with evil and make the world a better place.

One day, in the middle of target practice, the corps was ambushed by a band of orcs. The unit, being unaccustomed to melee combat, was swiftly subdued, save Marcos. He fought valiantly, but was forced in front of the ballista. Inspiration struck—the ballista, while not loaded, had still been strung, and the tension would be enough to snap and kill the orcs encroaching on him. What he did not expect was for the string to also come around and cut through the rest of the wounded, but surviving corps. Some of the corps were killed instantly by the snapback, while the others still moaned as they bled out on the ground. Sonna was alive, but the deathly pallor in her face suggested she had little time left. She smiled at Marcos as he crouched beside her, and gently placed her amulet in Marcos' hands. She told him with what little time they had left that he had done well, that Tyr had smiled upon them. When the officers came to get the ballista corps after they failed to show up, they saw Marcos in a lone vigil over the impromptu battlefield.

After giving his story and being tried, he was judged to have acted in justifiable self-defense, and was offered a permanent leave for his valor. While he initially tried to argue to stay, he realized that he no longer had a home with the army. Writing one final letter home, he told his family what had conspired, and that he was going to make the world a better place, in his own way.

EDIT: Added longer backstory, used a more reasonable character sheet. Added image. This post has been edited too many times, drat.

FriskyBoat fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Aug 1, 2016

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Miram Krei

Miram's family was cast out from their dwarven clan before her birth. She was raised in Rashemen according to local customs and thus never felt the need to press her parents on that particular subject when she noticed they did not want to tell her why.

Growing up among other Rashemi she picked up their typical superstitious nature but instead of making her fear the supernatural, it led her to study it. She dedicated her youth to reading and gathering knowledge about the monsters inhabiting the world, penning several tomes about them. It brought her fame, even though it was only among other scholars, and that pushed her to leave Rashemen and to go gather knowledge on her own in order to publish her next tome.

Lately, she has been particularly interested in Lycanthropy and Porphyria. She has managed to get hired on by the Order of the Gauntlet to study the beasts associated to these diseases and if possible, find out their weaknesses.

E: Also that discord invite link is dead :(

Fathis Munk fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jul 31, 2016

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
New link for the discord. https://discord.gg/Sh3DJ

Sounds like they expire after a day or so.

Infernal is fine as a language.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Perfect, I figures since she's a scholar it would be reasonable to pick an exotic language but wanted to make sure.

You can set the durations discord invites last somewhere when you create them iirc.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.
Interested! I should have a character ready by tonight.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Okay then this one has no time limit. https://discord.gg/J7fMqKy

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?

Fel'Jyani

Abandoned on the doorstep of an Neverwinter orphanage, the only tokens that the young Fel'Jyani had of her parents was a copper ring engraved with her name, and the natural agility that came to those with elven blood. The latter, of course, proving far more useful during her childhood on the streets; while she would on occasion beg or perform the odd job, it was in burglary and picking pockets that she possessed an uncanny knack. Petite in stature and quiet in nature, Fee as she preferred to be called found that it was startlingly easy to go unnoticed, especially during times of heavy rain or snow.

Everything changed, for better or worse, when a tip from a source Fee had considered reliable had her breaking into the home of a man who belonged to the Lord's Alliance. Seemingly impressed by her skill despite her eventual discovery, he offered her a deal: to work no longer as a simple street thief, but to instead serve in his employ to further the goals of the Alliance. Or so he claimed, at the very least. Whether he was being truthful or just using her to further his own goals, Fee could care less; rather than being punished for her mistake, she was being handed a job. A potentially very lucrative job at that. Really, how could she refuse?

TheFireMagi fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jul 31, 2016

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Hong Xióng-Hü
("Red Bear-Tiger")

"You ever go twelve rounds with an owlbear? Didn't think so."
~♫~

They say there's a tale for every scar someone has on their body. From the look of Hong's (or "Red" as her nickname goes) body, she's got a book written on her. However, the stories are actually quite short and quite simple. The daughter of a lumberjack, she quickly learned to use her axe for fighting, building up an impressive physique and getting into sparring at a young age. From there, it was only a matter of time before she dove head-first into the dubious world of pit and gladiatorial fighting to earn money and fame. Over the years, across several injuries and a positive but not especially impressive win/loss record, she'd achieved a solid respect from the circuit for having kept going for so long. Granted, there were consequences to this; blows to the head, alcohol both to numb pain and celebrate victory, and a lack of studies in general took a toll on her faculties, and she's best described as a simple warrior with simple desires.

Which came in handy when a Sir Alphinaud found himself accused of insulting a patron while observing the fights for his amusement. A brawl was soon to ensue, and the rather lithe noble was in no position to be fighting folks armed with bottles and chairs. Spying Hong enjoying a drink and recuperating from her last match, he held up his coinpurse and offered it to her if she'd assist him. With a simple "sure", she caught the sack and proceeded to swing her hammer at the unruly patron, giving him a bloody nose and a good reason to step away. Alphinaud had succeeded in avoiding a fight...and then realized that the ruffian would likely have friends waiting for him just outside, and so offered double the amount to escort him back home.

From there, one thing led to another, and a contract was formed. Hong would be hired as a champion and representative of the house for martial combat and guard duty, and in exchange the house would provide her with food, housing, and opportunities to test her might. The fine print of the contract, however, stated that she would represent "House Ravahn and all affiliates or associates," which, when your house is part of The Lord's Alliance, meant she could be hired muscle for houses all over the place, and indeed, travel became a common part of her daily life. But the pay was good and the food even better, so it all works out for her. Hard fights, hard cider, and easy money; who could ask for anything more?

Unknown Quantity fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jul 31, 2016

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Illyana Datura
Level 1 Human Ranger
Neutral
Str 15 (+2)*
Dex 16 (+3)*
Con 13 (+1)
Int 11 (0)
Wis 14 (+2)
Cha 9 (-1)
*saving throw proficiency

HP 11
AC 14
Speed 30’
Languages: Common, Elvish, Sylvan*,
*from Favored Enemy

Skills:
Athletics
Investigation
Stealth
Deception
Survival

Features:
Favored Enemy: Undead
Natural Explorer: Forests
Equipment:
Leather Armor
Spear
Dagger
Explorer’s Pack
Longbow
Quiver of 20 arrows and 10 silvered arrows
55 gp
Crowbar
Dice Set
Thieves' Tools
Background:
Criminal (Tomb Robber)
Feature: Contact
Tool Proficiency: Dice, Thieves' Pics
Personality Trait: I place no stock in wealthy or well-mannered folk. Money and manners won’t save you from a hungry ghoul
Ideal: I look out for family, whether by blood or circumstance
Bond: The ghost of a man whose tomb I looted has promised to haunt me to my grave, and I will do anything to prevent it.
Flaw: I am too enamored of ale, wine, and other intoxicants
Faction: Zhenterim

Datura got into the family business of grave robbing at an early age. With all the fallen civilizations in the history of Faerun, there are plenty of forgotten tombs on the continent, and looting them can be a lucrative business, if you can avoid the dangers (undead, traps, overzealous priests, the law, etc.) Lately she's been lurking around the outskirts of Myth Drannor, looting the occasional elvish masouleum. She has a technical alliance with the Zhenterim, but she has no concern for their beliefs. She only cares that they will buy her stolen grave goods at a fair price, no questions asked. Lately her Zhent contact, an obese half-elf by the name of Pence Ponderous, let it slip that some of his associates are in the market for werewolf pelts...

Simian_Prime fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Aug 5, 2016

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
So far we have:

pre:
Player				Character		Race		Class		Background	Portrait	Faction
Anomalous Amalgam		Faungar Galanodel	Half-Elf	Cleric		Yes		Yes		Order of the Gauntlet
slydingdoor			Yveth			Variant Human	Fighter		Yes		Yes		Harpers
Waffleman_			Dan Fei Son		Human		Monk		Yes		Yes		Emerald Enclave
FriskyBoat			Marcos			Variant Human	Paladin		Yes		Yes		Order of the Gauntlet
Fathis Munk			Miram Krei		Mountain Dwarf	Bard		Yes		Yes		Order of the Gauntlet
TheFireMagi			Fel'Jyani		Wood Elf	Rogue		Yes		Yes		Lord's Alliance
Unknown Quantity		Hong Xióng-Hü		Variant Human	Barbarian	Yes		Yes		Lord's Alliance
Simian_Prime			Datura			Human		Ranger		Yes		Yes		Zhentarim
Blank Construct			Moira Galbraith		Half-Elf 	Sorcerer 	Yes		Yes		Harpers?
as submissions. Anyone without a background and portrait if you could get one by Friday that would be nice, as well as anyone who is still planning on making a character, or making sweeping changes to their character. I am planning on closing submissions sometime Friday and seeing about making picks and getting the game thread up sometime that day.

Ryuujin fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Aug 5, 2016

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Edit: Sorry I snapped, it just kinda hit a nerve pretty soon after I woke up and I wasn't in the right mind to deal with it.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Aug 4, 2016

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
Giving this a go!

Moira Galbraith: Half-Elf Dragon Sorcerer (Fire)

An orphan, an urchin, a bandit. For most of her life, Moira has fought tooth and nail to survive, even if it brought her to the wrong side of the law.

With the loss of her mother, the fire in her blood awakened. In her grief, she manifested an inferno that nearly consumed the village she had once called home, and thus she was exiled. For a time she stole her way across Faerun, stowing away on wagons when people grew wise to her tricks, but word spread quickly. Soon guards from even the most tranquil towns were on high alert for the "Dragon Girl." Eventually, she found herself with no coin and no supplies.

One day, overwhelmed by hunger and fatigue she collapsed. A group of bandits passed by. Finding that she had nothing of value on her, yet was still alive, they decided to rescue her. Their leader, a man called Brom, known for having a heart bigger than his head, decided to take her under his wing. From there Moira participated in many ambushes and robberies, her ever- increasing command of fire proved extremely valuable in disabling wagons and the like. She even received tutelage from several sages who had been captured for ransom. Yet this was not to last either, as the authorities caught wind of the band's activities and their patrols extended further and further, pushing them away from large cities and easy marks. Once again Moira felt the pain of days without food, and endless, futile marching.

Just when it seemed the band was about to crumble from the stress, one of the scouts spotted a carriage laden with chests and no protection enter a village. They ambushed it as it traveled a forest road. The occupants put up little resistance, yet managed to escape in flash of light, leaving the group with a bounteous haul, a Harper pin taken from a stolen piece of clothing, and a curious letter of invitation.

(The Invitation. More detailed version of the ambush.)

Dear Moira, it began.

Brom, seeing the opportunity for more coin, decided to send Moira to the place outlined in the letter.

An uninvited guest? Or was this the plan all along?

Faction: Harpers?

Blank Construct fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Aug 4, 2016

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Okay it is pretty close to Friday here so I am going to put up a 12 hour warning. In 12 hours I plan on going over the submissions and making my picks, unless someone posts that they are still working on a character. Then I may delay a little, but just a little.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
I'm going to have to withdraw unfortunately. Won't have the time to dedicate to this like I would like. Hope you all have a good time!

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Okay after some thought I will be going with:

TheFireMagi playing Wood Elf Fel'Jyani the Rogue with the Lord's Alliance
Unknown Quantity playing Human Hong Xióng-Hü the Barbarian also with the Lord's Alliance
slydingdoor playing Human Yveth the Fighter with the Harpers
FriskyBoat playing Human Marcos the Paladin with the Order of the Gauntlet
Waffleman_ playing Dan Fei Son the Human Monk with the Emerald Enclave
and
Blank Construct playing Moira Galbraith the Half-Elf Sorcerer with the Harpers?

As I work on the opening post you can get to know each other, you also need to decide what 6 weapons will be silvered, 20 bolts or arrows can be silvered in place of one weapon.

Game Thread Here

Ryuujin fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Aug 5, 2016

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Just as an FYI, in the Discord we've established the Silvered items thus far.

Fel'Jyani gets 20 Silver Arrows
Hong gets a Silver Warhammer and a Silver Battleaxe
Yveth gets 20 Silver Bolts
Marcos gets a Silver Longsword
Dan Fei Son gets a Silver Quarterstaff

This leaves you to describe what Moira gets, if anything, Blank. If you feel you won't need one, that's fine, it can go to someone else.

Unknown Quantity fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Aug 6, 2016

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
Someone else can have one. Surely fire magic will do the job.

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?
Some quick pogs I made for the roll20. If anyone more skilled than I am wants to remake them/fiddle with them, feel free.

Roll20

TheFireMagi fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Aug 7, 2016

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
Thanks!

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?
Please use the pogs instead of the squished square dudes they make me sad.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Okay I am reopening this for re-recruitment, looking for 1 or 2 new 3rd level characters.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I'm interested in a PbP game, but that's largely motivated by a lack of continuous blocks of time to commit to real-time D&D. How often would the Roll20 sessions occur, and around what time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
The roll20 sessions aren't scheduled, when combat occurs or something similar you would be able to go in move your token and make your rolls even if no one else was on. It is more about the convenience of a map where everyone can see where everything is and a single place where people can roll things.

• Locked thread