Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I'll not be accepting default names for everyone as a blanket vote; if each character is voted that way, then cool.

And, besides, it's been a while since we've named someone Bowser. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
I change my vote to Bowser just because.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
Terra. I'm a fan of the classics, what can I say? This game was my first FF game as a kid and I didn't like changing names at that point.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Aeris

peachsynapse
Dec 22, 2007

The sea monsters appreciate your good taste.
Terra, please.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Tina

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
All defaults.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Leavemywife posted:

I'll not be accepting default names for everyone as a blanket vote; if each character is voted that way, then cool.

And, besides, it's been a while since we've named someone Bowser. :colbert:

There is another character later I was going to recommend for this honor. But really, so long as someone gets the mantle, I'm happy.

MikeyLenetia
Apr 27, 2015

Smashy~?
Hm... for me, I'll go with Rin just because. I won't complain about the default name, though.

As for who to change names, I have a couple of ideas. Won't say now, though~

jaclynhyde
May 28, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Guess this is as good a time as any to finally start FFVI!

Slaan posted:

Porkins clearly

Porkin to fit the the character limit.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Well, one of the vote counters on staff just did some tallies for me and it seems that Terra is the biggest vote at the moment, with 16, with the next two highest being at 5 each. They counted all the default votes as a single vote for Terra, so I'm going to go ahead, name her Terra and record the next section.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Update Two: The "Treasure Hunter"

Howdy, folks, and welcome back! Last time, on Final Fantasy VI, we woke up the esper that was recently discovered in the Narshe mines, got two of our companions killed, and woke up after our slave crown was removed. From there, we were trying to remember our name. Today, we're going to meet a new character, so let's roll.

Terra was the overwhelming winner, which is her default name. I'm cool with default names for a few of the characters, but c'mon people, let's have some fun with this!

But before that conversation continues, we fade to black.

Where dogs are rushing the house.

And a pair of guards.

Oh, what are you guys going to do? She can kill you with fire from her mind. I wouldn't gently caress with that.

Quick, use your grandfatherly manner to turn them away! Or answer the door naked; it works on the Jehovah's Witnesses.

Oh, yeah, it's that kind of video game amnesia. Beyond the basics, like breathing, speech, and her own name, Terra here doesn't know poo poo.

I'm sure we could explain the magic thing and it would work. Or just demonstrate it.

We'll get there in a minute.

There's this weird thing with clocks in FF6 hiding Elixirs and other stuff. The Elixir is a healing item that fully restores HP and MP for a single character.

With that in hand, I feel confident we can tell these guys to piss off.

They sound like they mean business.

So let's run!

Thanks for your help, guy! I'd stay and chat, but we're busy running!

Oh, thank God, they'll never see us up on this uncovered bridge in the middle of town where we're the only one walking around!

Aww, fiddlesticks.

Thankfully, they don't have any sort of ranged weaponry, so we're safe for the moment.

But they've run off, so we better do the same.

Dashing through the snow

Quick, into the mines! They'll never look there!

Oh, crap, monsters!

For our first enemy of the game, the Spritzer is suitably unimpressive.

For most of their turns, they'll use the basic physical attack.

On every third turn, they have a chance to use Cling, an attack which inflicts Slow.

They really don't like Fire. They're also Undead, so they're weak to Holy and healing magic, too.

They also only have 15 HP, so just about anything we do to it will kill it.

We could probably punch it to redeath, if we had to, for some reason.

We also earn 58 Gil.

Before we go any further, let's check out what Terra is rolling with for her adventure.

Only a knife? Hell, Biggs and Wedge both had Mythril Swords. Terra got hosed on this deal.

Hey, a save point. I may as well save. So much has happened since the last time.

Oh, and we're back to bars. I forgot to switch it earlier.

Wererats have 24 HP, making them a bit stronger than the Spritzers, but not much more challenging.

They can also use Bite, which is a stronger physical.

They're also weak to Fire, but it's good to note that they absorb Poison. Since they're rats.

And that just about sums up the Wererat. They don't always appear in the pincer attack. If they appear normally, just multi-cast Fire and roast them all at once. We also pick up 44 Gil from this fight.

Oh, dammit, I forgot to grab those chests. I was trying to record this next section quickly, so I could get this update out before bed, and I didn't grab them.

Eh, we'll get them later.

Alright, there's a doorway. Let's duck in there. I'd reckon there's a good escape route through there.

Definitely into the door.

Or not.

Okay, they've cornered us, but we probably shouldn't take them all out. We're trying to convince this town that we're not a massive asshat, after all.

Oh, well, I guess that problem's solved.

But that opens up the problem of Terra faceplanting into solid rock after falling however many stories.

She's okay! Man, she is made of tougher stuff.

Alright, let's get the hell--

--into a state of unconsciousness.

Well, if she didn't have brain damage before, she's gotta be close to it by now.

Oh, hey, a memory. That's probably good.

...Or maybe some memories are better left buried.

:stare:

But this isn't in a creepy sense. At least, not in a traditionally creepy way. More in a "This man will burn down the world" kind of way.

Fast-acting crown. Terra is completely under Kefka's control here.

Which cracks him the gently caress up.

And here's Terra taking down Imperial Soldiers.

I think there are a few identifying markers for psychopaths and we must have hit at least three of them in the last thirty seconds.

Still in the flashback, we meet...Oh, God, it's Hitler.

This guy is the Emperor, the one who wants to bring magic back into the world and do very, very bad stuff with it.

I gotta admit, in a world where there aren't any guns, having magic on your side would be a huge boon.

Hell, even with guns, having magic on your side would be a huge boon.

I can understand these guys loving the man bringing magic back into the world. On this planet, magic was the stuff of legends, the sort of thing that the civilizations of the past were founded on, that they had used to build their golden age.

While that all sounds good, what the average citizens and soldiers likely don't know about are the things like this; innocent women being forced into slavery and destruction to achieve his goals. As we know, the Empire is not good news. We've seen at least one town that wants nothing to do with them, and it's fairly easy to see why. They have war machines unlike anything that's been seen before and are more than willing to use them to pillage and plunder towns that did nothing more than stumble upon something that should have been left buried. To the citizens of the Empire, Gestahl is ushering in another age of peace and prosperity.

But, enough of that. We're back with the old guy.

Who has an interesting house guest, it would seem.

I'm sure that's a bit of a misunderstanding, guy.

Or maybe not.

But, this fellow needs a new name! Which means that I'd like you to BOLD a vote for what we're going to rename our esteemed treasure hunter.

I'll give you a couple of days for that, so get to votin'!

SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

I wish this was my Smash main.
A treasure hunter and trail worn traveler you say? Totally a thief, you say?

....Clearly, we are speaking of Nathan Drake.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

I'm going to throw out an old obscure reference that I bet no-one here gets without looking it up and say we name him Vesper.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Once, years ago, on a small messageboard for a webcomic that was better than you'd expect given its origins (and whose creator has since moved on to paying gigs), I read a Let's Play of this game in which this character was called Cocke. To this day it feels wrong to me to call him anything else.

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

...It's the thought that counts, right?
Check your eyes, friends, because he looks like a Bowser to me.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I don't care if I'm muddying up the vote with another unique name, I'm going with Han. We couldn't get a Star Wars character with Terra but we can get one with him.

sulovilen
May 6, 2013

Seiren posted:

Seconded! This LP clearly needs a Dongs as well.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

he's clearly a Nathan

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Come on, Nathan!

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Leavemywife posted:

Oh, and we're back to bars. I forgot to switch it earlier.

Huh, now that I think about it, kinda surprised they didn't change the GBA port to show both, there's enough screen space with the wider aspect ratio.

Speaking of GBA changes, doesn't this let you auto dash also if you look in the options?

As for the name, Thief. I'm sure he's played Link's Awakening and stole the Bow everything.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Thief, he just looks like the type, you know?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

FeyerbrandX posted:

Speaking of GBA changes, doesn't this let you auto dash also if you look in the options?

Yes it does. And you bet your rear end I have that turned on.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
Changing my vote to Nathan

mauman fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Aug 1, 2016

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

SMaster777 posted:

A treasure hunter and trail worn traveler you say? Totally a thief, you say?

....Clearly, we are speaking of Nathan Drake.
I think you've nailed this one. Another vote for Nathan.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Locke is clearly based on Leave

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Locke is his name and I want to keep it that way. Best character coming through.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Nathan works for me too. There are more deserving candidates for Bowser ahead.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Nathan it must be!

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nathan.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
We're naming his rear end Bowser because god drat it the last two LPs leave did didn't let us rename people, WE ARE NAMING HIM BOWSER TO SCRATCH THAT ITCH.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Gotta be Nathan. Bowser is better served for a later character anyways.

SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

I wish this was my Smash main.

Kemix posted:

We're naming his rear end Bowser because god drat it the last two LPs leave did didn't let us rename people, WE ARE NAMING HIM BOWSER TO SCRATCH THAT ITCH.

Oh don't worry, I've got every plan to sling Bowser votes at people later. Just...

bladeworksmaster posted:

Bowser is better served for a later character anyways.

Yeah, this statement is truth. (PS: was last three, and functionally last four effectively: Chrono Trigger, the goons pretty much only added the H to Crono and changed Magus to his real name. Then it was DBZ, Breath of Death, Cthulhu.)

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Man, I was just thinking that it's been forever since I played this version of the game; glad to see you're in the cockpit for it, Leave.

And I'm gonna stick with Locke, since I'm a massive no-fun-having dork.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

He looks more like a Loade to me

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Seiren posted:

Nthing this.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
I'm gonna have to go with Nathan as well. It's a fitting name!

bladeworksmaster posted:

Bowser is better served for a later character anyways.

This too. Though now I'm curious if we're all talking about the same character.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I don''t even play Uncharted and I can tell his real name is Nathan.

ParanoidLogician
Jul 24, 2012

Where did the punster go when he was defeated? The "punitentiary"!
Call him whatever you want guys, a Thief is a thief.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

A new character already?

Here's Locke's 3★ form in Final Fantasy Brave Exvius. His 4 and 5★ forms are spoiler territory, so I'll post them when we get to that point.

Final Fantasy Pictlogica Locke

And finally, Theatrhythm Final Fantasy Curtain Call Locke

• Locked thread