Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Oblivion4568238 posted:

Yeah? Well, I'll change my no-vote on Edgar to Bowser. :colbert:

Then I'll vote Leave to balance it out! :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

I wish this was my Smash main.

berryjon posted:

I will CHANGE my vote from Bowser to Remain, for a differential of -1/+1 and the necessary two votes. I do this on the condition that I vote Shadow become Bowser, and Realm become Koopa

But... Wouldn't Relm be better as "Junior" in that case? I admit I've considered that possibility too, just... well, black bars, not sure if Leave would approve it. Hence me deciding to vote Bowser on Edgar.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
Remain and Brock

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Change my Castor/Pollux vote to Remain and Leave.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Remain even though I don't really know what's going on because ahhhhhhhhhhhh what a day

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Like the future, I refuse to change. :colbert:

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

Remain and Leave

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
Do we really want an LP that will make sense twenty years from now?

Remain/Leave

SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

...Well I'll be damned, Remain's got the lead. :golfclap:

Explosionface posted:

Like the future, I refuse to change. :colbert:

We're going down on this ship together, I'm not changing either. At least Sabin -> Leave is a lock now.

The_Final_Stand
Nov 2, 2013

So cute and cuddly
Remain/Leave.

:britain:

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
Well, of COURSE Leave wins the vote. The question is whether enough of the people who want to vote Remain will bother to do it rather than just assuming it'll win.

Brexit would've been more fun had there been write-in votes for Bowser, that's all I'm saying.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Changing my vote and paraphrasing Tenacious D- "To whence you came- go and Remain! Until I say you can Leave again!"

SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

An announcement from the Leavemywife Vote Tallying Panel:

Remain and Leave are the names for the king and his wayward brother.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

SMaster777 posted:

An announcement from the Leavemywife Vote Tallying Panel:

Remain and Leave are the names for the king and his wayward brother.

This is the truth. Remain and Leave have taken the vote!

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

So it's official, Edgar will become Leave, and Sabin will become Remain? :krakentoot:

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Update Five: Son Of A Submariner!

Welcome back, everyone! Last time, on Final Fantasy VI, Terra and Nathan arrived at Figaro Castle. They met the king, Remain, but shortly after that, Kefka, an Imperial mage, arrived, looking for Terra. Today, we're going to escape from Kefka and Figaro Castle, so let's roll.

Last time, we left off with Terra about to take a nap. Today, we start off with King Remain waking up from one.

He hears something...Odd. Decidedly odd.

Oh, yeah, before I forget to mention it, Remain's twin brother was renamed Leave. I'm sure some of you were in suspense.

Okay, let's see what the hub-bub is--

...Bub? Oh, poo poo, the castle's on fire!

Your castle is on loving fire, you nitwit!

--just arrived. What do you have to say for yourself?

Which one? There's more here than grains of sand...

'course, Kefka wasn't exactly clear. Remain could just go and grab any random girl and could potentially fulfill Kefka's demand.

Maybe one of those soldiers has some advice about this situation.

'kay.

Alright, cool under fire. Good job, guys.

Meanwhile, these two are a Beavis and Butthead reference.

...drat, Remain, you're just going to give her up like that?

And this guy is just cool with it.

Uh, Remain, what'cha doin'?

Remain kneels on the edge and lets out a whistle.

Oh, poo poo, Remain has a goddamned plan!

Psh, Remain ain't no punk-rear end king!

Who the hell is--

Yeaaaaaaah, Kefka, suck it!

Get a better search engine, rear end in a top hat!

Remember what the old guy said in the last update about the castle moving?

Figaro Castle is not a spider tank.

It is, however, a submersible castle, capable of moving through the sand.

Kind of hard to keep a castle on fire when it goes under the sand, huh, Kefka?

Don't give me that look, you schmuck.

...Oh. Kefka doesn't like to lose.

So...Those two had Magitek Armor the whole time? And Kefka complained about sand on his boots, when he could have been riding a mechanical contraption capable of shooting flaming Kamehamehas. What a douche.

Well, looks like we're about to have a boss fight.

:ducksiren:Which is why this video link is here!:ducksiren:

For those of you not clicking that, or if you already have, let's kick some rear end!

So, we start this fight off by being back-attacked. There are two rows in Final Fantasy VI's battle system; the front row offers you full physical damage potential, but you also take full damage in return. The back row allows only half damage taken from physicals, but on the trade-off that you only deal half your normal physical damage. Certain skills, such as Remain's Tools and Terra's Magic, circumvent this, as do certain weapons.

Being a fuckin' laser, this attack gives no shits about your row.

And that attack is frickin' nasty with its damage.

Thankfully, Cure can help mitigate that somewhat.

Like when we were multi-casting Fire, multi-casting Cure will spread the healing among the party, but if I'm going to heal both Nathan and Terra at once, I have to do it. Otherwise, it'd be too easy for one of them to get ganked.

Especially since Terra has much lower HP than the other two.

White Magic has a much more colorful, and less sun of death looking, animation associated with it.

Sure, it's not a ton of healing, but it's enough to keep them alive for a little longer.

Oh, right, Remain has never seen magic before.

Ah, hell, there's a lot of words coming up. Hang on a minute. Lemme make some portraits.

: D-d-did y-y-you just see what I saw? You did, right? Right!?

: Yeah, this kid's really something, huh?

: Really...something? That was magic! MA-GIC!!!

...How did you not loving realize, Nathan!?

Also, those portraits good? It's been a while since I've made some.

...How did you think your wounds magically healed? Or do you think laser blasts are just naturally fast healing?

: Your name was Terra, right? What...what exactly was that just now?

: I'm sorry, I...

It's okay. We're now seeing Nathan dropkick a king.

I can see why some people like him a lot.

: I didn't mean to make such a big deal out of it...

: Nor did I, it just...surprised me. I mean, I've never actually seen magic before! Where did you...?

: It doesn't matter, does it, Remain? Terra can use magic, and we can't. That's all there is to it! The fact is...her magic could really help us right now!

: Thank you, Nathan! Thank you, Remain!

And how do these two goobers react to a pretty lady winking at them?

...How very...Gauche? I'm going with gauche.

How very gauche of you.

Okay, Magitek dudes; thanks for sticking around during that. We'll get back to our previous business.

Being in the back row, as I mentioned, halves our physical damage. These guys have 210 HP a piece, so that's not going to get us anywhere.

Remain's Auto Crossbow, on the other hand, is going to get us all sorts of places.

Auto Crossbow gives no shits about row, split damage, and is unblockable. This is the sort of thing that I'm going to find useful for a loooooong time.

These guys have a powered physical of their own.

It's...Well, unimpressive, even if we're in the front row. It's a hell of a lot better than the laser attack, that's for drat sure.

Nathan and Remain will react to any spell that Terra casts. It just happened to be Cure because that's what I needed at the time.

Even so, this fight isn't difficult by any stretch of the imagination. The dialog during the middle of it lasts longer than the actual fight itself.

Bosses in this game will not give out any EXP upon their defeat. You'll see why later.

After the fight, there's a smattering of dialog.

Oh! Those oversized chickens that we're riding are called Chocobos; they're another Final Fantasy staple, debuting in FF2 and appearing in all subsequent games. They typically serve as some sort of transportation, but have also appeared as summons, support characters, have a couple of dungeon crawler RPGs featuring a chocobo as the main character, and have appeared in many other Square franchises, such as Parasite Eve, the Mana series, and Kingdom Hearts, to name a few.

Just assume that they're giving Kefka the finger as they ride away.

I do.

The line in the SNES version was "Son of a submariner!", which is far more amusing.

Nah, good people try and kill you all the time. It's a little odd, but the customs of other cultures often seem strange to those used to their own ways.

: Like I told you before, we're members of the Returners...

: Would you be willing to meet our leader? Magic is going to be the key to winning this war.

: Magic...

: That esper reacted to your magical powers. There's gotta be a relationship...

: I don't know any more than you do. Those powers just come naturally to me.

...WHAT THE gently caress, REMAIN!?

Jesus Christ, dude! What in the gently caress is wrong with you!?

I can't muster a big enough :uggh: for this right now. I just can't.

That's the best you got!?

: The Empire will be coming after us. They want your powers for their own. And if they get them, the world is done for...Terra, you want to understand your powers, don't you? Then I think you should meet with Banon.He may be able to find out more about why you have them.

: ...

: Please...Remain's right.

: There's a cave just south of here that leads to South Figaro...Let's head in that direction.

That funky tune is what plays whenever you're riding a Chocobo on the world map. When you're on a Chocobo, you'll avoid all random encounters and move a hell of a lot faster. Plus, you get this neat view.

It doesn't last long, as the cave to South Figaro is right here.

And since it's not very long, we'll be going through that today, too.

We could have come here before, but we'd have been turned away.

Well, the cave is kind of south from that castle, so I guess it's kind of South Figaro.

...So...Everyone in the castle is in on you being part of the Returners, or is it just certain guys? Because everyone seemed pretty cool with you potentially murdering Kefka by submerging the castle.

I mean, really, everyone? Just...A whole castle full of people cool with rebellion and not one guy with loose lips?

Uh...Peace out, bro.

Like I said, this cave isn't very long, so we'll blaze right through it.

First things first, this spring is important.

As it's a full heal for everyone.

This is a good chunk of the place already.

But there are new monsters in here.

Starting with giant hornets.

They also have a stronger version of this attack, called Iron Stinger, but it's hardly more powerful.

Edgar's main weapon types are swords and spears, but since he's one of two spear users in the game, he specializes a little more in those.

The Hornets have 92 HP a piece, and a weakness to Fire attacks.

They're also worth 48 EXP a piece, which should make this encounter worth 96 EXP, right? Well, that does make sense, but this game uses a split-EXP system, where each party member gains a share of the EXP given after a fight. Since 96/3 is 32, each character earned 32 EXP.

Math isn't required for money drops. That just goes into a general pool that everyone has access to, no matter who is in the party.

This cave also features chests that will change their contents if left alone, but to get the best stuff (well, one thing is really good), you have to wait a really, really long time. And there are other ways to get that item.

I also forgot about it until after I had grabbed those chests, but it's a pretty "eh" kind of situation. And by the time we're there, we'll have plenty of other options for accessories, so no worries here.

Moving on, we get into another fight.

A preemptive strike is one where we get to act first; our ATB bars start out fully filled and we have a few seconds to get things going before the enemies can react.

The Urok is the ugly guy in the background, while the Fopers are the furry things in the front.

The Urok has 122 HP, and is also weak to Fire. They can either slap someone or inflict Sap on them, so they're nothing major to be concerned with.

The Foper has 119 HP, and is--you guessed it--weak to Fire. They can put people to Sleep, which is a paralysis that is either lifted by time or being physically struck.

The Foper is worth 53 EXP and 80 Gil, while the Urok is worth 71 EXP and 120 Gil.

None of the encounters in this cave are, by any stretch of the imagination, difficult. Auto Crossbow will clean up most things pretty easily, and with every enemy being weak to Fire, you already have access to plenty of rear end kicking potential for taking care of business in here.

Ethers restore 50 MP, and aren't all that common. Well, they kind of are, since we can eventually buy them. But for now, they're not very common.

The last treasure in here is this Phoenix Down.

And with a couple of maneuvers, we're in the final room.

And back outside! I know the music in that link is called Terra, but in addition to being Terra's theme, its also the overworld music.

And just south and east of the exit is the town of South Figaro.

Before we explore the town, this update is over. I'll see you next time, as we explore South Figaro!

Stay tuned!

ParanoidLogician
Jul 24, 2012

Where did the punster go when he was defeated? The "punitentiary"!
I completely forgot Nathan and Remain's conversation about Terra's magic during that battle against the Magitek Armors. Just made the whole thing much more :allears: than it already was.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

ParanoidLogician posted:

I completely forgot Nathan and Remain's conversation about Terra's magic during that battle against the Magitek Armors. Just made the whole thing much more :allears: than it already was.

Actually it triggers whenever you first use magic in battle with both Edgar and Locke. That flag remains up until the next boss IIRC, so it is theoretically possible to never see this scene.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Wait, but it was the use of magic that triggered them to tell Terra to go see the rebellion's leader. So what happens/how do you know where to go if you for some reason never use magic during this part of the game?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
The post-battle chatter happens no matter what. Note that Edgar Remain cites the Esper as proof of her powers, not him actually seeing them.

The in-battle dialogue is pretty much just flavor.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

The sun in the desert is so bright that it partially whites out the screen!

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Edgar is probably my favorite character in the game from a literary standpoint. Yeah, he hams it up a lot but there's definitely a working brain there, and he uses that to his advantage throughout the game. No one expects the fool to pull an ace out of his sleeve like that. A majority of the cast is fairly flat but they do a solid job of fleshing Edgar out into a well rounded character. And then there's nothing quite like seeing Auto Crossbow hitting the entire screen for 9999 damage, 100% free and unblockable.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

And that chocobo thing is the reason I can never play this game.
Mode 7 like that just gives me a headache. I can never find my way, and I end up just walking everywhere.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Silegna posted:

Mode 7 like that just gives me a headache. I can never find my way, and I end up just walking everywhere.

Not a fan of Terranigma I assume? :v:

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
That scene where Remain & Nathan react to Terra's magic always cracks me up. Especially if Nathan's already seen it- say in World Map encounters before entering Figaro Castle, which are possible but weren't shown off by Leave.

Obviously Kefka didn't want to bring the Magitek Armor close to the castle until the right moment. And he either brought only two suits and left his personal suit behind, or he doesn't have a personal suit for some reason. We'll play through the game to find out which.

And everyone in Remain's kingdom knows he's a Returner and chooses not to mention it because he's a cool king and the Empire's evil. Duh!

I recommend you show off tents on the world map at some point. It's a really cool sprite feature of the game. Not saying why in case you already know and don't want it spoiled.

Peace! Out.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Silegna posted:

Just navigate by using the world map?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Also for whatever reason I always pictured his guards as all women. Even before I learned he was a womanizer. I wouldn't put it past him

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I agree with you, Leave. The Returners is a dumb resistance name. FF2 had a good one (Desert Rose), so why is this one so weak? If I ran a resistance I'd name it something like...
The Azure Knights!

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Junpei posted:

I agree with you, Leave. The Returners is a dumb resistance name. FF2 had a good one (Desert Rose), so why is this one so weak? If I ran a resistance I'd name it something like...
The Azure Knights!

That's Wild Rose. Desert Rose was in Dimensions.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

MightyPretenders posted:

That's Wild Rose. Desert Rose was in Dimensions.

Thanks, I just misremembered. But still, who thought that The Returners was good?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Junpei posted:

Thanks, I just misremembered. But still, who thought that The Returners was good?

Leave voters

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Edgar is to FF6 what Jeff is to Earthbound, and Auto-Crossbow is his Heavy Bazooka.

EponymousMrYar posted:

Actually it triggers whenever you first use magic in battle with both Edgar and Locke. That flag remains up until the next boss IIRC, so it is theoretically possible to never see this scene.
I saw a speedrun of FF6 for SGDQ that took advantage of not triggering the "M-m-m-m-magic" dialog.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The Returners have their name because they want to return to the old ways.
Conservatives have their name because they want to keep to the old ways (or at least what they consider the old ways).

Returners as a name is really not that much sillier than Conservatives.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Carbon dioxide posted:

The Returners have their name because they want to return to the old ways.
Conservatives have their name because they want to keep to the old ways (or at least what they consider the old ways).

Returners as a name is really not that much sillier than Conservatives.

I'll give you that, but The Returners doesn't have the... Pizazz of Wild/Desert Rose, or The Azure Knights. The could have gone for the intimidation factor with something like Cerberus or Inferno, something like that. But again, that is a valid point.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I love that little cutscene. That kind of breaking of the status quo adds depth to any video game. Edgar is a dope party member. He made the final team for me, because Tools are seriously that drat good.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

: So, you losers thought all you had to do to get rid of me was to not include me in Leave's LPs? Well, too bad! I'm back! And I might just force my way into this very LP! :sugartits:

: Anyway, let's get on with this book I'm writing.

Chapter 1: Narshe Nincompoops

"Guards sworn to protect the coal mines of Narshe. Watch out for the occasional Critical attack."
: What chumps. They're weak to Poison, so just feed them some of Kammy Koopa's stew. Bwa ha ha ha!

"Wolves trained for battle, they attack with keen Tusks."
: Some people call these things Lobo. I just breathe some fire on 'em, and call 'em toast!

"A species of Mammoth. Watch out for mass Blizzard attacks! You could lose it all very quickly. Oh, try to avoid the Bear Claws too."
: I heard Kamek call these things Vomammoths. I don't think he knows what he's talking about. Treat 'em like Silver Lobos, and roast 'em!

"Its head is its weak point. Time your attack well -- if you attack when its head is inside its shell a Mega Volt will shoot back at you! TekMissiles are recommended."
: Once known as a Whelk. That name's just as weird as Y Meer. Ugh. Anyway, this guy is a small challenge, though nothing my might can't easily handle. But since you're not me, just smash the head with TekMissiles, whatever those are...

"Nothing is more annoying than having your combat gauge slowed way down by a Vaporite's Cling attack."
: Vaporite? No, this is a Spritzer. He's another toast candidate!

"Half-man, half-rat. Their sharp teeth bite hard."
: All loser. They actually like Kammy's stew, so they've become immune to poison. Gah! Roast 'em and move on!

"Mog can easily win here with his Dusk Requiem dance, Make sure he's in the party you use to attack the Marshal."
: Guard Leader Marshal is weak to poison, and immune to poison. KAMEK! STOP MESSING WITH MY BOOK!

: That's all for this time, nerds! I gotta go work on my next plan to kidnap Peach. This one will work for sure!

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

Awesome job, Kheldarn. But how would whelk be a weird name for a snail beast?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Explosionface posted:

Awesome job, Kheldarn. But how would whelk be a weird name for a snail beast?

Don't ask me. Ask Bowser. :shrug:

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

Kheldarn posted:

Don't ask me. Ask Bowser. :shrug:

Fair enough, carry on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Mr. Bowser, sir, could I get a signed copy of your book when it's finished?

• Locked thread