Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Default names aside from the token Bowser, but that's not Terra.

And to think, just randomly decided to reread the "lets break FFVI" lp.

FeyerbrandX fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jul 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

ArchWizard posted:

Terra

I'd vote for default names for all but then we'd lock ourselves out of naming someone Bowser. I'm not certain we should name anyone Bowser but we also shouldn't limit our options just yet.

I edited mine in case Leave chooses to interpret default as blanket. There's one character that should be Bowser, Terra isn't the one (though she is a fire wielding terror)

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Leavemywife posted:

Oh, and we're back to bars. I forgot to switch it earlier.

Huh, now that I think about it, kinda surprised they didn't change the GBA port to show both, there's enough screen space with the wider aspect ratio.

Speaking of GBA changes, doesn't this let you auto dash also if you look in the options?

As for the name, Thief. I'm sure he's played Link's Awakening and stole the Bow everything.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

How about this:

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Nathan, or really anyone but Leave right now for reasons.

Also, reason number 2 for why the SNES translation is "better", Ultros opens the fight with "Uwe hee hee! Game over! Don't tease the Octopus, kids!"

Also also, using my highly trained sense of pattern recognition, it seems that Leave didn't do FFV Advance, is that something that can be fixed in the future?

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Fun fact that Leave didn't show off since it skips stuff, but there's a bridge hidden behind the structure on the pub/inn/cider guy's house spanning the river. You could get there with just the Merchant's disguise and skip the soldier swap and telling the jerk its time for his break.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

SMaster777 posted:

A samurai, huh... clearly, they must call him Jack.

Leavemywife posted:

After battle, there's a 1/16 chance that he'll just take off.

1/16 chance in a normal battle formation. If you get back attacked, side attacked, or pincer attacked he's stuck. Or at least never saw him leave in those odd circumstances since it'd probably break the script.

Also, the one song you forgot to link... "What?" the perfect title and theme for a crazy old man.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

jaclynhyde posted:

Inigo.

I also vote in favor of abusing save states so Bowser doesn't leave.

No reason to abuse save states, just regular saves are good enough.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Slaan posted:

That was obviously the "let's kill these idiots" squad. I can see why based on their performance.

In hindsight, maybe Kefka did here those idiots gossiping about him.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Regalingualius posted:

I was thinking more of a Mark Hamill Joker, but... Eh, details. :v:

This. 1000 times this. On one hand I'd have loved if they gave this the FFVI DS treatment.

On the other I'd be livid if they had someone else do the voice other than him. On the plus side he's back out of his arbitrary retirement so one can only hope.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Silegna posted:

He retired from the Joker after Arkham City.

But back for Arkham Knight and The Killing Joke, so a million to one chance...

So what I'm saying is there's a chance!

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

GunnerJ posted:

Oh good, now I can post this:

For some reason this link absolutely refuses to load, but I know what it is and it is the best at everything.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

He should have been the Bowser, but failing that...
Nugent He's a wild hunter who... let's just say has a particular disease.... a fever, if you will, that is appropriate for the Motorcity Madman.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Kheldarn posted:

I was at work at the time. Also, it's a shame the (PM:TTYD) LP stopped. :(

Same, forgot about it til now.

On the other hand, my browser is much happier not having a massive coronary every time I'd load that thread.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Leavemywife posted:

Well, what would you name yours, Jack? Bu and Shido? That doesn't sound good at all!

Kat and Ana

Wait, that wasn't a vote. Never mind.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Nathan can't do damage with Steal, so there's that :v:

But right now, yeah, the only thing I can think of right now is if there's an enemy with a wind weakness and you remember you could have the air lancet at this time.

But yeah, unique skills unless you can hit an elemental weakness or proc something fun.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

No weight given as far as I know, it's broken into individual pools of 8-16 formations, I think 16 or 32 different pools in sequential order. So say you fight the Marshal like Leave did on the Veldt, the next fight would probably be something from the Figaro Desert, or the cave to South Figaro, then Koltz, etc. Until you loop back. Some pools only have a one or two formations in them, so you might see some very often (:argh:). On the other hand, when they show up, you know when the loop restarts.

Quitting and restarting the game (don't know if reset is enough, or a hard boot is needed) will reseed the place in the cycle.

Also, while Gau can leap in any formation, he can only return in a regular battle (no back, pincer or side attacks, like Bowser's chance of leaving).

e: Also obviously only enemies you seen in formations you've fought in will show up, so that explains why final dungeon assholes aren't on the Veldt (yet), and why I (and probably others) wanted to do Leave last, so that the 2nd Narshe/Figaro Cave enemies would show up in the pool.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

SMaster777 posted:

Nathan, Remain, Leave, Olivia.

This.

Also, RIP Runic, Kefka was probably the last practical time to bust it out, rather than outright murder the thing casting magic at you.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I seem to remember the green ones being one and done. The brown ones revive once (except the Rider, he's a one-off).

I thought they didn't revert to start though, you knock them down after the first fight, then they get right back up and fight again, unless you back up before they can retrigger combat.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Kevos Setzer posted:

And this whole sequence of events is why Nathan has his rather creepy obsession with immediately jumping to Terra and Olivia's defense. Dude's got enough issues for a subscription.

And Remain going "not again" when he showed up with Olivia, so he's probably already done it a couple times before Terra.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Well... Ramuh kinda looks like FuSoYa, so Puddin

Wait, scratch that.

I'm Abusin' and confusin', everybody discovers
They can't help but be hooked on the brothers! Unh!!

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

He always reminds me of the Crow with all the random scars and paleness, so Brandon Lee.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Fudge Handsome posted:

You're doing perfectly fine, keep it up. And real life always comes first.

that's the long and short of if.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Leavemywife posted:

Leave...Has nothing to say. Not even something about how he'll smash 'em.

FYI for you playing at home. If Remain wasn't there, Leave would just basically say "Remain would pay you off"

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Bruceski posted:

And that's why you bring Leave and Remain. Anyone know what happens if Remain isn't there to give her the 2-headed coin?

She just has her own. But obviously This Is Canon. :v:

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Meaty Ore posted:

There's one right outside Tzen as well, if you're so inclined.

Which I thought Leave was going towards since his screenshot going into battle outside made it look like he was moving towards the forest.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Definitely not worth caring about, but there's one more gimmick sword in the room as Leave is... departing. There's a hidden bit on the last catwalk on the south wall that has a Break Blade, so random petrify procs.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

So Seal's Kiss by a Rose has a lot more subtext than I imagined.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

For fun, the Flametounge is in the stove.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Leavemywife posted:

Neither does the Relic Shop. It's the standard spread of relics. I'm pretty sure the sign is supposed to be some glasses or something, but I've always seen it as a pair of handcuffs.

I've interpreted it as a pair of horseshoes. Relics are basically good luck charms.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Those armors Kefka just destroyed before killing more Epsers? Super magitek things with plot armor not even Leo could scratch. poo poo. Got. Real.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

get that OUT of my face posted:

In the ROMhackeria thread, liquidypoo is playing a randomized FF6 for the SNES. It's pretty cool. I think the commentary might have spoilers so be wary of that.

Absolutely spoilers. Though I think we've maybe only mentioned the final boss, seen some end game optional bosses on the overworld and talked about the character sprites that got swapped in and stuff.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

V is the worst Cid because he's the one who actually started loving everything up. This Cid did too, but he did it under orders. Cid V did it of his own accord.

IV Cid is the best and anyone who disagrees will be assaulted with a Power Point presentation.

Then you'd better sit down, shut up and get your goddamned slides.

Nah, Cid, the avatar of :black101: is the best.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

let it rip. Don't forget the music links.

Don't.
Forget.
Music.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Mikl posted:

Wendy.

(No music links? Where's the music, Leave? :bahgawd:)

At least he put Epitaph in, but yeah. How can he forget Searching For Friends when the Falcon bursts from the sea...

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Weavered posted:

Voting Bowser for the above reason unless not getting Jack now means we miss him. Then I'll edit my vote to him.

Oh yeah, forgot to say. No one* is missable. The game just pushes you towards him since he's near by, enemy levels are appropriate, and something else that isn't too spoilery on its own, but it kind of is hard to explain without trying to explain it without spoiling something in giving examples to articulate it.

*Only one person is missable, but if you miss them, you've already hosed up.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Regalingualius posted:

Eeesh. I remember Phantom Rush being really good by a long shot, but this is just insane for how soon after you acquired it.

I can think of just this for the reason this was allowed to be this broken. First QA did what we all did when we were little and loaded Sabin with Atlas armlets and hyper wrists and saw 6000 or so damage for an attack that required a complicated input.

Now we know all his stuff is magic based and that the inputs can be gamed so say hello to rubbing against the damage cap for the last third of the game.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

You forgot to open Jack's chest?

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Well, half wrong. It is locked, but the key was near by.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Glazius posted:

So, what do you feel is the natural plot order for getting people back in the World of Ruin?

The game pushes you towards Jack, and if you didn't already get him, he mentions Mowgli returned to the veldt. Then when you try to recruit him you'd notice the cave and get Bowser/Wendy. After that the trail goes cold so you just have to resort to aimless exploring.

• Locked thread