Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
It's so much of a trope, even the internet has embraced it.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BadassLongcoat
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trench_coats_in_popular_culture

It seems the outliers, the goons, the nerds, the outcasts are you heroes.

As long as they don't trip on them, that is. Then, who gives a gently caress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
sir have you been drinking

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Enfield posted:

sir have you been drinking

Enfield, person of whom I hold some respect to...

Yes.

I have.

Of course I have.

I say this without any sort of restraint. Never let another human hold you back. Regardless of past circumstances.

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
i just joshing. well bye

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Enfield posted:

i just joshing. well bye

God speed.

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
ITSSSSS HIGH NOON

*pukes up a bunch of blunts for everyone*

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Every dorky American boy must go through a phase where he tries to pull off a duster or a trenchcoat. If he succeeds and realizes it will never loving work, he has become a man.

Machine Cult
Dec 23, 2005

A TEXT IS HERE

VendaGoat posted:

It's so much of a trope, even the internet has embraced it.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BadassLongcoat
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trench_coats_in_popular_culture

It seems the outliers, the goons, the nerds, the outcasts are you heroes.

As long as they don't trip on them, that is. Then, who gives a gently caress?

gently caress, is this 1994 again?!? Am I back in highschool again?!? Really freaking out here.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Iron Prince posted:

ITSSSSS HIGH NOON

high noon let's talk about that movie for a bit how abotu that gary cooper? a lot of people don't know but lee van cleef was in it, first major role even

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

i have a green army trech coat that i have only worn once when i was 18 because its too loving hot all the time. also hyperhidrosis

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

oh also because it would look dumb heh. thats another good reason heh heh. ... hehh hyeah

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

Enfield posted:

i just joshing. well bye

hey shut up

DiCe69
Dec 21, 2014
if he opens up the trench coat will his dick show?

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

in australia we call them ditchy doublers

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

ROFLburger posted:

hey shut up

you shut up bitcg

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:
I love my dumbass coat. Then again I also paired it with a cowboy hat and did field work with it, so duster was a fitting name.

The oilskin versions are great raincoats. Wish they had a hood though.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

I remember finding a dumb highlander forum back around 1997, the owner of the site said he wore his trench coat with lead weights sewn in the bottom hem so he could spin around in a circle and harm potential attackers. Seems legit.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Iron Prince posted:

ITSSSSS HIGH NOON

Is this your superpower?

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNwZ62kYarM

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

add a fedora and a chain-wallet and hot-drat, you've got yourself a goon going!

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord
op what the gently caress are you talking about

also, trench coats are the opposite of what you mumbled about; remember columbine and the trenchcoat mafia?

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

lmbo

also

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
They're not even wearing trench coats. False flag much?

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

4/20 BLAZE IT :420::2bong::420:

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Tricky D posted:

They're not even wearing trench coats. False flag much?

Obviously a ploy by the track suit market to discredit the noble Duster.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Iron Prince posted:

ITSSSSS HIGH NOON

Puke blunts? This isn't a third world country my man. Got any buttblunts?

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Oh those poor nerds they dont understand, the duster, trench coat, fedora, lizard hair cut, accordion, katana sword, magic powers, Bicep Tattoo. didnt make their favorite hero cool he was all cool because he was a work of fiction.

Being a fat neck beard is a real negative, and just slapping on the trappings of your hero wont fix it.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

max4me posted:

Oh those poor nerds they dont understand, the duster, trench coat, fedora, lizard hair cut, accordion, katana sword, magic powers, Bicep Tattoo. didnt make their favorite hero cool he was all cool because he was a work of fiction.

Being a fat neck beard is a real negative, and just slapping on the trappings of your hero wont fix it.

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :aaa:

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

max4me posted:

drat this guy just destroyed the fedora wearing, katana wielding goon archetype and you won't believe what he does next.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Wasn't there some evidence that these fucksticks weren't even hyper-persecuted nerds and just ratty-rear end trash with too much energy?

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

mind the walrus posted:

Wasn't there some evidence that these fucksticks weren't even hyper-persecuted nerds and just ratty-rear end trash with too much energy?

Man if they weren't bullied I really feel like they shouldn't have murdered a bunch of children. All this time I thought they were somewhat justified in shooting down children and killing them, but if it turns out that they just had ADHD and were not in fact victims of teasing, I definitely no longer support their murder rampage.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

mind the walrus posted:

Yes

Shaquin
May 12, 2007

max4me posted:

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Never forget the time Drew Carey had an entire episode dedicated to him wearing one of those, but also had a ribbon on his dick and went on a date with some lady dressed like that. I'm not sure if he was a satire about molesters or what. But I'm pretty sure the episode ended with him getting laid. So it seems like the math works out here.

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010
Me, thinking that the columbine murderes were called nasty names by jocks in gym: Well I guess it's understandable that they gunned down dozens of little boys and girls and murdered them and took them from their parents

Me, having learned that the columbine murderers just had ADHD: man those guys were fucksticks..

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
Forget about the motivations of the Columbine shooters for a sec. What about the perpetrators of the anti-trench coat agenda that have falsely linked the wearing of trench coats to that heinous crime? Will they stop at nothing to take our trench coats away from us?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Well the media did put my precious DOOM under the spotlight and ruin Dusters/Trenchcoats for a whole year before The Matrix made them cool again, so I needed to know they were bullied little snowflakes. I just needed to.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Once trench coats are outlawed, only outlaws will have trench coats.

The rise of the anti-hero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I mean I guess I could have worn a trenchcoat right after the killings and been an antihero I don't know I guess but that sounds scary

• Locked thread