Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

"Sorry, that's jogging. You failed your walk test."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Walk test is a joke. I'm a poo poo runner, but my CV system has always been solid...my heartrate returns to normal REALLY fast, so I think I was 1 pt from maxing it with a 12 min time.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Godholio posted:

Walk test is a joke. I'm a poo poo runner, but my CV system has always been solid...my heartrate returns to normal REALLY fast, so I think I was 1 pt from maxing it with a 12 min time.

They don't do the heart rate bullshit anymore. You just have to walk within a certain time, and if you approach anything that even appears like jogging, they fail you.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Reverand maynard posted:

can you compete in olympic shooting while in the military?

as others have pointed out you can compete in olympic anything while you're in the military. It's called the World Class Athlete Program in the AF and Army, Navy/USMC have something similar (not sure what theirs is called)....you actually have to be no-poo poo olympic caliber but if you get picked up for it you get to go train full time for a couple years while on active duty, being an athlete is your only job with the end goal of going to the olympic trials in your sport and making the team to go to the games. And then there's obviously the shooting teams like the Army's AMU which is kind of different, since those are a no-kidding PCS assignment as opposed to the WCAP which is like a 2-3 year "special duty" program.

Guy I work with now was on the men's handball team in the run up to the 2012 games (they didn't qualify lol). The AF had a pole vaulter down in Rio, Army had a bunch of shooters, couple track and field plus the aforementioned race walker, the Marines had a guy competing in rifle shooting, and the Navy had a couple track and field and a couple rowers.

and I've known at least 2 people now who have done their damnedest to get off their run profile prior to testing because the walk test is so difficult (the times are not that easy to make if you are seriously walking, and like Commie pointed out they are apparently super strict about the no jogging thing)

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

My dad was the prof of mil. science at IUP and said he was the Liason or something for the army swim team during the run up to the 1992 olympics.

Dudes would go to the university pool at like 6 A.M, and essentially swam 5 hours a day, 6 days a week. I think I was like "yeah that's a legit way to spend your career in the army" and I think he said that for every year they were in competition with the WCAS program it added 2 years to their contract.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

CommieGIR posted:

They don't do the heart rate bullshit anymore. You just have to walk within a certain time, and if you approach anything that even appears like jogging, they fail you.

I didn't realize they changed it, but it's a lot easier now. 2km in 16:23 or less? Sorry, but that's easy as gently caress. I was a poo poo runner and about two days since my last bout of post surgery blood-in-urine and did the mile in 12 minutes. 2km is about 1.2.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Godholio posted:

I didn't realize they changed it, but it's a lot easier now. 2km in 16:23 or less? Sorry, but that's easy as gently caress. I was a poo poo runner and about two days since my last bout of post surgery blood-in-urine and did the mile in 12 minutes. 2km is about 1.2.

Unfortunately my lungs are fuckered now. Can't even pass the walk test now :(

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Does the US not field a team for Invictus? Based on the drunk thread a lot of you would qualify for injury or ptsd and the bar for entry physically is about on par w a university sports team.

I don't know about the banging sexy athletes part since they'd all be brokedick vets too.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Frosted Flake posted:

Does the US not field a team for Invictus? Based on the drunk thread a lot of you would qualify for injury or ptsd and the bar for entry physically is about on par w a university sports team.

we started that poo poo with the Warrior Games

no one supports are troops better than the US

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Frosted Flake posted:

I don't know about the banging sexy athletes part since they'd all be brokedick vets too.

I think we do. Last games the AF CSAR unit in England sent a bird to hoist in a PJ amputee for the opening.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Closing event wasn't terrible. They're pretty much having Carnivale tonight.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
USA #1

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

So apparently Usain bolt banged some druglord's ex. Awaiting the hit squad

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
If they can catch him

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

http://www.duffelblog.com/2016/08/r...raft%20in%20Rio

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Love the Clinton callback

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
so turns out that the Rio cops were probably lying even more than Lochte was throughout this whole thing...tl;dr is the "security guards" (off-duty cops) held the swimmers at gun-point (after they'd committed the heinous crime of drunkenly pissing in an alley and pulling a poster off a wall, not trashing a bathroom) until they agreed to pay for "damages"

also Jimmy Feigen had to pay that "fine"/"donation" to get his passport back from the Rio cops

I for one am shocked that third world cops engaged in extortion

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

Hope Solo got suspended for six months and her contract terminated over being such a huge shitbird of a human being.

http://wapo.st/2bS1XJT

Riot Carol Danvers fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Aug 25, 2016

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I'm not giving them my email address to read an article

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Wapo paywall is the worst

quote:

Two soccer suspensions involving speech were handed down Wednesday with vastly different penalties.

One was for alleged insulting comments.

The other was given to Hope Solo.

We’ll begin with the first case, which was overshadowed by the U.S. Soccer Federation’s banishment of the infamous goalkeeper.

[Solo is suspended six months, has contract terminated by U.S. Soccer]

The United Soccer League, the third tier in the men’s pro pyramid, suspended Orange County Blues midfielder Richard Chaplow for two matches and fined him an undisclosed amount for targeting an opponent with “offensive and abusive language.”

The opponent was Robbie Rogers, the Los Angeles Galaxy defender serving an injury rehab stint with the club’s reserve squad. Rogers, who is gay, accused Chaplow of repeatedly calling him “queer” in the late stage of the match.

The accusation prompted a league inquiry. The USL could not determine definitively whether Chaplow used such coarse language; he denied it. Nonetheless the league decided something inappropriate had been said.

Had the USL been able to corroborate Rogers’s accusation, it might have suspended Chaplow for the last month of the season or terminated his contract. Whatever he said, Chaplow learned, words have consequences.

Solo has never learned that lesson. She is brilliant at what she does on the soccer field and often belligerent off of it.

Her latest offense was an unfiltered screed attacking Sweden, which deployed ultra-conservative tactics in ousting the top-ranked U.S. women’s national team from the Olympics in the quarterfinals, the Americans’ earliest exit from major competition in their glorious 25-year history.

The Swedes didn’t cheat; they did what they had to do in order to slay a superior foe.

[Solo’s checkered history may be her undoing]

Never one to mince words, Solo described the Swedes, guided by former U.S. coach Pia Sundhage, as a “bunch of cowards.”

In subsequent days, U.S. officials, as well as some of her teammates, said they disagreed or were disappointed in Solo’s characterization. The question was whether the USSF, which has tolerated Solo’s antics for almost a decade, would take action.

The penalty was levied Wednesday: a six-month suspension from the national team and termination of her contract with the USSF. Barring a successful appeal, Solo will not play in any U.S. friendlies this fall. Given her age (35) and the fact the U.S. program has no significant competitions until 2019, the ban may have also effectively ended her international career.

The suspension apparently does not apply to her pro career with the Seattle Reign in the National Women’s Soccer League, though her USSF contract does cover her employment in the league, which is subsidized by the federation.

The USSF’s decision was in response to Solo’s comments at the Olympics, but in essence, it was for cumulative missteps. In his statement announcing the suspension, USSF President Sunil Gulati admitted as much, saying the ruling took “into consideration the past incidents involving Hope.”

In order words, the federation has had enough.

In the federation’s view, she deserved a reprimand of some sort for the “cowards” comment. But she deserved long-term banishment for continuing to embarrass the U.S. program and, in the broader scheme, the Olympic program.

The latest episode pales in comparison to the public trashing of her coach, Greg Ryan, at the 2007 World Cup in China; or failing a drug test in 2012; or the arrest on domestic violence charges in 2014; or taking a 2015 joy ride in a USSF-rented vehicle with her husband, Jerramy Stevens, who was arrested for drunken driving. (Solo served a short-term suspension for her involvement in that incident.)

Why did the federation keep her around? Her prodigious abilities seemed to outweigh her indiscretions. But with the next World Cup three summers away in France, the USSF finally seems ready to move on. Solo did not have a great Olympics: She shined against France but faltered badly on two free kicks against Colombia.

Alyssa Naeher and Ashlyn Harris do not have Solo’s skills but are capable replacements. And with Solo out of the picture for at least six months, they will have ample opportunity to prove themselves as long-term solutions.

Despite the Olympic setback, the United States remains at the forefront of international women’s soccer and a sterling model for American athletics, male or female. The players, for the most part, have represented the country to the highest standards and inspired legions of girls to get involved in sports and aspire for greatness.

Solo has been a big inspiration between the goal posts but a small person off the field.

Which brings us back to the two suspensions handed down this week. What Chaplow allegedly said was much worse than what Solo uttered. But there was no official transcript or audio of Chaplow’s interaction with Rogers.

There was, for all to read and hear, what Solo said. And given her long, sordid history, she got what she deserved.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

Zeris posted:

Wapo paywall is the worst

Weird I didn't get a paywall when I clicked it from my phone, and I've never paid them for poo poo. Thanks for transcribing it.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
just use incognito, 5 articles per window

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
WaPo is easy - just Google the link to the story, click from there, no horseshit about limited number of free articles.

• Locked thread