Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I don't think there was ever anything that suggested Frate was Luce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

From what I can see, Avilio's brother's eyes were blue or maybe blue-grey, whereas Frate's were more greenish-grey, so I don't think they're likely to have been the same person.

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy
Holy gently caress at the ending of this ep. I was fully expecting the end of Corteo. I did not expect him to kill anyone, let alone goddamn Fango, and in such a brutal way too. This probably means the end for Corteo next ep tho.

show's goooooood

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Hey, neat, looks like the week's break did wonders for the production. The show's back to looking pretty good again.

And now, some thoughts about Fango.

The guy was basically an incarnate demon - not literally, but it was a very heavy metaphor. The red streak in his hair, the goatee, his near-supernatural luck, you get the picture. He was an embodiment of the violent insanity at the heart of the show's world, celebrating what everyone else kept hidden behind euphemisms and codes of honour. At first, when the city of Lawless was relatively stable, this meant that he stuck out like a sore thumb, a weird anomaly amidst serious men in suits who occasionally murdered each other (but politely). Slowly, though, as the gang wars broke out and the factions splintered, he started to blend in - he became an ally of the protagonists, he wore suits, he schemed and ran a business like any other gangster. In a world gon mad, madness became mainstream. The lasagna a la Orco wasn't just an icky bit of shock-factor, it was him bringing it all to the surface. We live off people, so let's make it literal. When Nero, Angelo, and the gang happily tucked in, they weren't just taking in Orco, but Fango, letting his shocking violence become theirs. At that point, he, too, was essentially dead, with the rest of the cast carrying on his legacy through fratricide, infanticide, and domestic murder. Look at how lined and worn he looks in this episode when he's tempting Corteo - his essence is spread thin now, his body is a shell. His physical death was the end of the rest of the cast's fall, as the nicest, kindest, and sanest character in the show took up his mantle in an orgy of ultraviolence. That's it. His job's done. Hell doesn't need a devil any more - now, it's other people.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
You just can't beat a classic crime drama meltdown murder. Just the moment of "welp, nothing left to lose or gain, you took everything from me, might as well just start killing" can be a highlight of the story if done well, and it was done quite well here.

sexpig by night fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Sep 4, 2016

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Holy poo poo, that ending

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
That was an intensely brutal episode. Makes me want to post about it in three threads, too!

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

GorfZaplen posted:

Holy poo poo, that ending

it owned a lot

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
That was some gorgeous direction and tension.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
aaand like that, avilio's tiny sense of sympathy towards nero, evaporated

on some level, it's nero's petty piece of vengeance towards angelo for his enthusiastic role in facilitating the death of frate.
the events of the civil war affected nero more than he likes to come off. nero wears the glove of power well, but he wears it uneasy

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
im the untextured cg boat

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Seriously, this episode was tough to watch. So many pans of unrelated still frames while characters were talking. It almost felt like a radio play at times, and the animated bits weren't too impressive, either.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

There were two still frames that kinda killed me but besides that the story's still engrossing enough that I didn't notice much

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
It was very hard on the eyes, but yeah, it's still good.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
That was a brilliant piece of writing and composition right at the end. Angelo did not even give Vincent the peace of death, but the horror of watching his world fall apart before his eyes.

And neither does Angelo. What does Strega have in store for him? Strega has no means or incentive to keep him alive. And there's not much to say about his characterization, he's a walking cliche, you know precisely what he wants at all times.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

That was a bloodbath

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

S2 confirmed

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

That was a brilliant piece of writing and composition right at the end. Angelo did not even give Vincent the peace of death, but the horror of watching his world fall apart before his eyes.

And neither does Angelo. What does Strega have in store for him? Strega has no means or incentive to keep him alive. And there's not much to say about his characterization, he's a walking cliche, you know precisely what he wants at all times.

He's going to die, and so will everybody else.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea like ny good mafia story this'll end with a pile of corpses and no one really getting what they needed in the end I'm sure.

Great episode, can't wait for the big finish. I didn't expect it to end with Angelo arranging a total wipeout of the family but drat that was a cool plan to see unfold.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Why on earth is this thread, and by extension most likely the anime itself, so unpopular? Like how many anime series do we even get where it's set in a real world with real world situations (or hell, mob stories) in a decade? Three? Two? I dunno, but it's weird this hasn't become a bigger thing by this point, if even for contrasting against the uh, moe catgirl animes or whatever the hell most of anime is nowadays.

It's probably obvious but I've really enjoyed everything about this so far. It's just a mafia movie turned into an anime so what's even not to like here, especially since it's generally so well written. Latest episode even had a really smart kind of twist in it, when (eh, tags just in case) Angelo didn't just kill old man Vanetti, he arranged for their entire family to disappear by killing another guy. I love it! Watch this thing you ADTRW fools!

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

smuh posted:

Why on earth is this thread, and by extension most likely the anime itself, so unpopular? Like how many anime series do we even get where it's set in a real world with real world situations (or hell, mob stories) in a decade? Three? Two? I dunno, but it's weird this hasn't become a bigger thing by this point, if even for contrasting against the uh, moe catgirl animes or whatever the hell most of anime is nowadays.

It's probably obvious but I've really enjoyed everything about this so far. It's just a mafia movie turned into an anime so what's even not to like here, especially since it's generally so well written. Latest episode even had a really smart kind of twist in it, when (eh, tags just in case) Angelo didn't just kill old man Vanetti, he arranged for their entire family to disappear by killing another guy. I love it! Watch this thing you ADTRW fools!

I think that a lot of good, solid series don't generate much forums content because people don't really have much to say about them beyond "that was fairly good." Mushishi S2 didn't get that long of a thread either. Series that have more mixed quality of content are more likely to generate arguments (especially if they're long-running and people get emotionally invested in their sunk time) and shipping is its own content engine.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

most shows take place in the real world

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Davincie posted:

most shows take place in the real world
Ah, I mean, I don't think of JoJo as a real world anime since its fuckin nuts. I suppose I just mean realistic style anime shows.

Paracelsus posted:

I think that a lot of good, solid series don't generate much forums content because people don't really have much to say about them beyond "that was fairly good." Mushishi S2 didn't get that long of a thread either. Series that have more mixed quality of content are more likely to generate arguments (especially if they're long-running and people get emotionally invested in their sunk time) and shipping is its own content engine.
This would be a fine reasoning and all, but another current Good Anime, Mob Psycho 100 has what, 25 pages now? Maybe it has things to argue about though. I don't know, 91 days just feels like its getting the short end of a stick here and I'm salty since I want it to get more seasons, hell I want more shows like it in general.

The JoJo thread is really long too though that's more because it has already had a big following from its manga-only days, I'd assume. Dunno!

smuh fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Sep 24, 2016

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

yeah if your only reference material is shonen fighting shows of course there aren't many realistic anime shows

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Davincie posted:

yeah if your only reference material is shonen fighting shows of course there aren't many realistic anime shows
What do you suggest then? I'm not talking only about this versus shonen, I mean things that have real world rules, more like. I don't even know if something like ReLife is popular here but it's exactly what I'm not talking about with it being rooted so deep into unrealistic ideas

I'm sorry I can't articulate my thoughs properly. I'm not trying to start an argument or anything but I suppose I'm just unable to sufficiently describe what I mean.

e: I remember liking Monster? That's basically what I'm lumping 91 days together with.

smuh fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Sep 24, 2016

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

im not sure how long of a timespan you want here (and im guessing no high school) so here's some realistic dramas off the top of my head Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju, shirobako, giovanni's island. Otona Joshi no Anime Time, mouryo no hako

Daryl Surat
Apr 6, 2002

I don't care what you say about this post, but if anyone steps on my bunion, I'll kill them!

smuh posted:

I think the simple harsh truth is that anime fans reject this type of work, which is to say "anime which don't have any out and out fantasy/SF elements." The majority of fans don't want to see titles set in worlds that are geographically or culturally familiar to their own that don't hew closely to the stock "anime tropes." This is part of why we went up with series that are praised to high heaven by every review you see yet are largely ignored. Remember Monster? Nobody watched that show or bought it, and it's not even popular enough to stay up on streaming sites for people to watch for free. I loved it, and so did every review. Didn't matter.

It's a frustrating conundrum, that so many shows which I call "accessible" to non-anime fans by virtue of setting, story, characterization, aesthetic, etc rarely seem to actually find their intended broader audience because most hardcore anime fans don't particularly care for them enough to talk them up (or watch them). Maybe they're not actually that accessible: a Boardwalk Empire fan I'm acquainted with who watched the show panned 91 Days because of matters like "well, where are the bootleggers of color and the Irish, etc? This isn't historically accurate enough. And all these name pronunciations are wrong." I can't say "well, Lawless isn't the big city of Chicago, it's some podunk town on the Canadian border" or "well, there's going to be an English dub released shortly" in response, because the minds are already made up.

Basically, what I want there to be more of--original anime productions that aren't adapted from light novels or manga which don't have to throw in all these hooks to appeal to existing otaku markets--is not what fans seem to want. The story of my life, I suppose. At least 91 Days has remained as good as it's been throughout. I hope the finale wraps things up satisfactorily, which is to say The Final Deletion of Brother Nero is at hand.

Daryl Surat fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Sep 24, 2016

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

all these drat shows exist if you just take the time to look further than whats popular among 15 year olds, or even better just read manga so you can for example read all the other manga urasawa did after monster

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Daryl Surat ^^^^ It's funny you mention Monster since I also did in the edit! Seems like a reasonable, if depressing, thought as to why things like this are so rare. I feel I should mention I actually really don't like most anime series at all and thus am the exact person for whom they generally are not made.

Davincie posted:

im not sure how long of a timespan you want here (and im guessing no high school) so here's some realistic dramas off the top of my head Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju, shirobako, giovanni's island. Otona Joshi no Anime Time, mouryo no hako
Yup, never heard of any of those :v: Maybe I'll check em out, thanks!

e:

Davincie posted:

all these drat shows exist if you just take the time to look further than whats popular among 15 year olds, or even better just read manga so you can for example read all the other manga urasawa did after monster
Now there's an idea! but I wish they was moving pictures though :downs:

smuh fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Sep 24, 2016

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Davincie posted:

This post should be stickied

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

smuh posted:

Seems like a reasonable, if depressing, thought as to why things like this are so rare. I feel I should mention I actually really don't like most anime series at all and thus am the exact person for whom they generally are not made.

Your reasoning is flawed, and this illustrates why. It's obvious from your posting that you don't watch much anime, and as such presumably also do not follow anime related news. Because of that, you are only made aware of the shows that become super popular or shows that you happen to find out about by chance (which I assume happened with 91 Days). Shows set in the real world aren't rare, you just haven't heard of them.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

smuh posted:

This would be a fine reasoning and all, but another current Good Anime, Mob Psycho 100 has what, 25 pages now? Maybe it has things to argue about though. I don't know, 91 days just feels like its getting the short end of a stick here and I'm salty since I want it to get more seasons, hell I want more shows like it in general.

Mob Psycho 100 also had a pre-existing manga that had had built up a bunch of hype beforehand.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

^^^^ haha, that's true. I'm dumb.

Droyer posted:

Your reasoning is flawed, and this illustrates why. It's obvious from your posting that you don't watch much anime, and as such presumably also do not follow anime related news. Because of that, you are only made aware of the shows that become super popular or shows that you happen to find out about by chance (which I assume happened with 91 Days). Shows set in the real world aren't rare, you just haven't heard of them.
It's true, yeah. I found 91 days just by being bored and reading up on new shows on Crunchyroll and thought 91 Days sounded really interesting. But then, maybe I should change my point to "why aren't these kinds of shows popular" overall. I want to know about them! :(

Checked out Davincies recommendations and hey, found some anime interesting to me. I've had the problem of not being able to actually find stuff interesting to me forever as far as anime is concerned, which blows. So yeah the problem might just be my inability to, uh, know about things. BUT if Monster really was unpopular then poo poo sucks in any case

e:VVVVV I will!

smuh fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Sep 24, 2016

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

smuh posted:

Yup, never heard of any of those :v: Maybe I'll check em out, thanks!

Absolutely watch Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju. It's the frontrunner for my "Best of 2016" vote.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

monster wasn't unpopular, the manga sold 20 million copies

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Davincie posted:

monster wasn't unpopular, the manga sold 20 million copies
Good

edit: sorry for basically hijacking the thread everyone, let's be very excited for the next 91 Days episode!

smuh fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Sep 24, 2016

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

House of Five Leaves is historical real world, and about samurai

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Sports anime that take place in the real world: Haikyu!!!, DAYS, Battery, and a squllion other ones

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

There are also a shitload of romcoms set in the real world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
91 days is incredibly fantastic. Though I don't think there's much I could post beyond "that was awesome!" each episode. I find the show has been telling its story well enough that while the outcome was fairly reasonable to figure out long in advance, the way it gets there has been slightly unpredictable.

It doesn't lead itself to much discussion. I have tried to talk to co-workers about it but none of them are watching it because "I don't like mafia stuff" even though I've gushed about it. That side of it is sad because this show is easily in my top 3 of the season.

• Locked thread