Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

91 Days is a "classic mafia drama" set during the Prohibition in America.

Angelo Lagusa's family was murdered by the Vanetti family. Years later he receives a mysterious letter that reignites his desire for revenge. Donning the name Avilio Bruno, he infiltrates the Vanetti family.

The guy on the right is Angelo/Avilio. He's murderous and ruthless and probably a sociopath. The guy on the left is Nero Vanetti, a son of the Vanetti family and a pretty swell guy.

The guy in the middle here is uh, Corteo. He is Angelo's childhood friend and he makes hella good booze.

Each episode of this show so far has been like a miniature mafia epic. It's a love letter to mafia movies and stories and a lot of the visual language it uses will be familiar if you've ever watched anything like that. The show has actually been really surprising with the directions it takes sometimes. If you want a suspenseful crime drama full of rugged anime dudes then 91 Days is the show for you!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

My favorite scene of the show so far was when it cut to Don Vanetti's room and he was playing dramatic opera music for no reason.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I also liked when they were driving through a forest and then next scene showed their cars parked at a dramatic riverside pier overlooking a vast factory. THis isn't a complaint.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

In the latest episode of the mafia crime drama 91 Days, our main characters spent their time trying to hit people with their car, stealing canned pineapples, and getting drunk off of lovely prohibiton booze.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I didn't really notice

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Show good

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

That's my review everybody. See you next week.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

It looks like this week is a recap

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Um

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I don't think there was ever anything that suggested Frate was Luce.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Holy poo poo, that ending

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

That was a bloodbath

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

S2 confirmed

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

That was a brilliant piece of writing and composition right at the end. Angelo did not even give Vincent the peace of death, but the horror of watching his world fall apart before his eyes.

And neither does Angelo. What does Strega have in store for him? Strega has no means or incentive to keep him alive. And there's not much to say about his characterization, he's a walking cliche, you know precisely what he wants at all times.

He's going to die, and so will everybody else.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Davincie posted:

all these drat shows exist if you just take the time to look further than whats popular among 15 year olds, or even better just read manga so you can for example read all the other manga urasawa did after monster

This post should be stickied

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I liked it, overall. Some of the dramatic moments didn't land for me (Nero and Frage's dinner, Corteo and Angelo's argument) but in general it was a good crime drama with a surprising sense of humor. Apparently a lot of the people who worked on this shoe are industry newbies so I'm excited to see what they make next. With some more experience and maybe a little bit of time they could make something really awesome, I bet.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

I know people complain about slow lingering shots but I loving love them for their sense of tension

It was the slow lingering shots of backgrounds that bugged me, especially in the penultimate episode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

In Training posted:

Long takes can be intersting but there was a lot of random pans to scenery/sky while people offscreen talked which is a cardinal sin in animation in my eyes

Yeah. I'm thinking specifically of a scene where someone says something, takes a drink, and walks out the door without ever being shown

• Locked thread