Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
schmitty9800
Feb 10, 2003

That's great dudes Kojima already broke the 4th wall two decades ago and also predicted the rise of Trump

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamer With Dignity
May 15, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Magritte predicted Trump in 1967.

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
What's Portal's 'legacy'

Undertale will be about on par with that (short cute game that you get over quick with annoying fandom)

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Iron Prince posted:

FUCKABLE SPIDERS
please don't gently caress the spiderlady, she just wants to have her spider bake sale :(

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
my favorite character in undertale is Johnny Smoke, an original character i created within the undertale universe

guess what he does

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Al Cowens posted:

What's Portal's 'legacy'

Undertale will be about on par with that (short cute game that you get over quick with annoying fandom)
honestly Portal is probably going to be remembered for its design philosophy. it's an immaculate example of teaching novel game mechanics on a digestible learning curve interwoven with gameplay and narrative. the memes and fandom have already faded to memory, but people still hold games like The Magic Circle and Quadrilateral Cowboy up against whether they teach and execute their conceptual game mechanics as well as Portal did. it remains in the conversation in that capacity.

Undertale I'm betting in as much time is going to be remembered for making its moral choice system implicit but maintaining its impact through ~ludonarrative~ (meaning the unstated narrative you get out of gameplay. now get mad at the neologism, everybody who is worthless.) the bullet hell system is novel, but it's not much more of a departure from turn-based/active-time battle than Paper Mario was, and the prodding at base assumptions is more navel-gazing than it is pioneering. its real accomplishment was just making players feel bad for doing things in game that they would feel bad about doing irl. no floating -5 to the karma meter, no devil horns, just the fact that the dog you killed is dead forever and you won't see it again because you killed it. that's an innovation that can be incorporated across genre, and expand the possibilities of conflict resolution in game design.

whoops i mean fart balls cuck vote for trump

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

oh man

Lisa/Undertale crossover. Think of the possibilities.

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

Cubone posted:

honestly Portal is probably going to be remembered for its design philosophy. it's an immaculate example of teaching novel game mechanics on a digestible learning curve interwoven with gameplay and narrative. the memes and fandom have already faded to memory, but people still hold games like The Magic Circle and Quadrilateral Cowboy up against whether they teach and execute their conceptual game mechanics as well as Portal did. it remains in the conversation in that capacity.

Undertale I'm betting in as much time is going to be remembered for making its moral choice system implicit but maintaining its impact through ~ludonarrative~ (meaning the unstated narrative you get out of gameplay. now get mad at the neologism, everybody who is worthless.) the bullet hell system is novel, but it's not much more of a departure from turn-based/active-time battle than Paper Mario was, and the prodding at base assumptions is more navel-gazing than it is pioneering. its real accomplishment was just making players feel bad for doing things in game that they would feel bad about doing irl. no floating -5 to the karma meter, no devil horns, just the fact that the dog you killed is dead forever and you won't see it again because you killed it. that's an innovation that can be incorporated across genre, and expand the possibilities of conflict resolution in game design.

Have you considered that its popular because ppl identify w/ it, which is different from all that stuff?

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Ork of Fiction posted:

Have you considered that its popular because ppl identify w/ it, which is different from all that stuff?
i'm not sure what you're referring to or what in my post could have prompted a response about relative popularity, but if you're talking about undertale that's as fine an explanation as any, neighbor.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
Undertale already led to a bunch of fourth-wall breaking imitation stuff like Pony Island, and now lots of lovely horror games do that "bad thing attacks you and it CRASHES YOUR GAME woah" thing from it.

Also Pathologic is legit amazing and everyone should play it, even if it's hilariously unfun to actually play

Popular Human fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Aug 1, 2016

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

Cubone posted:

i'm not sure what you're referring to or what in my post could have prompted a response about relative popularity, but if you're talking about undertale that's as fine an explanation as any, neighbor.

Yeah. Undertale. I don't think that the gameplay was really the sticking point, or even the way that it offers multiple approaches to how the game is played. That stuff was novel, but not what made it popular so much as it speaking to a time and a place in a way that nothing before really has be able to do with any authenticity. I've called it the Clerks of video games before, and I stick by it. It's an exemplary freshman work from an independent artist that captured something human about its audience as well as its subjects.

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
gently caress Pony Island and the rear end in a top hat that made it

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Popular Human posted:

lots of lovely horror games do that "bad thing attacks you and it CRASHES YOUR GAME woah" thing from it.
afaik that started with Imscared.exe in 2012

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
Its legacy will be a billion "quirky comedy retro-style RPG" knockoffs and they will all be bad.

Or maybe it won't, it's weird, enough time has passed for the knockoffs to start rolling out and I haven't seen that many.

I guess it will just be forgotten and die.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

:same:

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

Cubone posted:

haha you had me there for a second cubone good one haha *puts down whip*

Al Cowens posted:

it got an award by the crazy five guys gamer lady and this award is proudly displayed on the steam page

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

Cubone posted:

afaik that started with Imscared.exe in 2012
Even earlier: Nanashi for the DS in 2007 or so

It was like The Ring except instead of a haunted VHS tape it was about a haunted hand held RPG game

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
i want to say Lisa is a really really good game and it is but it has so many flaws from RPG maker it brings it down as a whole

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
pronably a lot of tumblr posts and then a lot of lovely games that try to be it and fail horribly

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

Putty posted:

i want to say Lisa is a really really good game and it is but it has so many flaws from RPG maker it brings it down as a whole

:yeah:

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Al Cowens posted:

what about them

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

i still haven't played LISA but apparently it's sad with funny parts as opposed to Undertale which was funny with sad parts. confirm/deny?

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

symbolic posted:

i still haven't played LISA but apparently it's sad with funny parts as opposed to Undertale which was funny with sad parts. confirm/deny?

confirmed

Putty posted:

confirmed

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Al Cowens posted:

have you considered the possibility that you don't like vimeogrames?

Pony Island was fun.

:staredog:

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Ork of Fiction posted:

That stuff was novel, but not what made it popular so much as it speaking to a time and a place in a way that nothing before really has be able to do with any authenticity. I've called it the Clerks of video games before, and I stick by it. It's an exemplary freshman work from an independent artist that captured something human about its audience as well as its subjects.

The Clerks comparison is totally accurate in so far as speaking to a specific time and place, but it's a lot more insular than Clerks IMO and probably won't have as lasting a legacy. You can still show Clerks to most people and they'll be entertained by it, but Undertale is so fanatically in-joke-y that it's hard to explain any of the jokes or even the general concept of it unless you specifically come from the background those jokes and that concept came out of. Saving, doing a thing and then reloading to see what happens if you do the opposite of that thing isn't something normal people do when they play a normal videogame, and whatever gotcha value it has is lost on them.

Slowbeef did a stream where his wife played the game and she hated it exactly because of all the things like that.

subhuman filth
Nov 1, 2006

Pathologic is a loving tremendous game and I found it extremely addictive and good but my brain is riddled with aids

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Ork of Fiction posted:

Yeah. Undertale. I don't think that the gameplay was really the sticking point, or even the way that it offers multiple approaches to how the game is played. That stuff was novel, but not what made it popular so much as it speaking to a time and a place in a way that nothing before really has be able to do with any authenticity. I've called it the Clerks of video games before, and I stick by it. It's an exemplary freshman work from an independent artist that captured something human about its audience as well as its subjects.
the gameplay is a defining component of both the text and the medium. they're interrelated attributes, not exclusive or isolable.

subhuman filth
Nov 1, 2006

Does anyone want to talk about pathologic instead

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

subhuman filth posted:

nah

Cubone
May 26, 2011

subhuman filth posted:

yes.

what the gently caress is in the aviary?
blood pool in the abattoir, polyhedron is piercing the ground, forgotten pagan beliefs, the relationship between earth and flesh: cool. all on the table.
what the gently caress is in the aviary? somebody spoil me, please, I have zero desire to go through the game again.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

subhuman filth posted:

wat

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

symbolic posted:

Yes. The premise is it's the post-apocalypse because there's no women left on earth and you're a drug-addicted kung fu guy raising a little girl orphan in secret who goes missing one day. It's bleak as gently caress but there's some great jokes and rad tunes and it does ~meaningful choices~ way better than most games because they actually have major effects on the gameplay mechanics as well as the story.

It's a game that's possible to beat with no arms because you lost them both over the course of the game thanks to your gently caress-ups.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-kT5SDifCU

darth_pizza posted:

have you considered the possibility that you don't like vimeogrames?

Pony Island was fun.

Pony Island is good and funny and doesn't take itself seriously at all, I feel sorry for the people whose brain problems keep them from enjoying such a silly little puzzle game.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Guy Mann posted:

It's a game that's possible to beat with no arms because you lost them both over the course of the game thanks to your gently caress-ups.

gently caress, i'm sold

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
one armed brad is still legit

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
The fish monster chick seems kinda cool.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

symbolic posted:

gently caress, i'm sold

You've made the right choice.

Also everything in the game, from art to writing to music, was made by one guy with no actual training or experience aside from one RPGmaker game. The game's soundtrack was made on a free trial copy of Fruity Loops :yum:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZuI3ZkCHfs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjFr_vW8kwc

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
the Soundtrack uses a lot of sampling which i'm a big fan of since i wasted my life making Youtube Poops back in the day

one song is just a guy from Shenmue orgasming over and over again

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
undertale is a good game with good characters

that said, it was at its peak before it got real popular, because most people had a chance to go in blind and experience it before the Lets Players came in and did their thing. I'm glad I got to experience it for myself, and I wonder if Toby will ever make another game, because he sure as hell doesn't have to with all the money he's made from it

edit: There probably won't be an artistic legacy of undertale, because at this point the awful fanbase is bigger than the game itself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Guy Mann posted:

You've made the right choice.

Also everything in the game, from art to writing to music, was made by one guy with no actual training or experience aside from one RPGmaker game. The game's soundtrack was made on a free trial copy of Fruity Loops :yum:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZuI3ZkCHfs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjFr_vW8kwc
to be honest, the songs aren't really drawing me in as much as i thought they would. they just seem too jarring and eccentric, though i am listening to them out of context so maybe they fit the atmosphere perfectly and i'm just complaining for nothing

• Locked thread