Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

I hate yankees posted:

this is hilarious to me because i never thought we'd have the equivalent of 3rd world shitholes in the us, but god drat democrats are really good at loving cities up

good thing the entirety of the rural south and Appalachia isn't in the united states

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Chrs Gry posted:

I remember this episode of a The Simpsons but I can't remember how it all got resolved.

Something like this:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

I hate yankees
Apr 29, 2008

naem posted:

I'm pretty sure it's that the only industry in the entire state packed up and left

hmm wonder why they left???

schmitty9800
Feb 10, 2003

I hate yankees posted:

this is hilarious to me because i never thought we'd have the equivalent of 3rd world shitholes in the us, but god drat democrats are really good at loving cities up

the politicians i loathe are involved with cool companies that do stuff like make missles and submaries and offshore oil platforms

the politicians i like are involved with stupid companies that pick up trash and provide food service to prisons

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
As time goes by, the film "Roger & Me" just gets sadder and sadder.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

tenspott posted:

Wrong. The people of Flint decided to end the contract with the city of Detroit because the Detroit water system had been gouging them. The prices were high because the elected officials in Detroit were all corrupt and the water department was an easy place to steal from. The state appointed manager just didn't stop the switch.
Flint got an EM back in 2011, the state had years to flatly go "whoa what the gently caress no", or get Detroit to charge less when they also had an EM there- Orr was EM during the negotiating phase which led to Flint's final decision, after all- or, like, take a drive out to the actual Flint River and take a whiff.

tenspott posted:

Yes, that's why the Republican stronghold western part of Michigan such as Grand Rapids is in no way doing well.
Isn't Grand Rapids itself Democratic, though? The current mayor's a Dem, the previous mayor's a Dem, Logie I thought was a Dem. The commission's technically non-partisan, but I thought that was Dem-leaning too. Western Michigan's firmly in Republican hands in spite of Grand Rapids.

Freestyle
Sep 2, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Most right wingers are no longer satisfied with saying "We are the greatest country in the world." Now I hear more and more "We are the greatest country in history."

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Oy, more like Flint, Meshuggeneh!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Freestyle posted:

Most right wingers are no longer satisfied with saying "We are the greatest country in the world." Now I hear more and more "We are the greatest country in history."

uh, that's what all nationalist fuckwads say. nothing unique about the american version.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Freestyle posted:

I think that making our country even better should be the focus rather than resting on our laurels which are on fire.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I think that making our country even better should be the focus rather than resting on our laurels which are on fire.

"What's in it for me?"

Kwanzaa Quickie
Nov 4, 2009
I bet if everyone took their trash to city hall this would get resolved pretty quickly.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

VendaGoat posted:

"What's in it for me?"

You'll be sent to one of the actual re-education camps not the disguised death camps. :buddy:

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Ofaloaf posted:

Flint got an EM back in 2011, the state had years to flatly go "whoa what the gently caress no", or get Detroit to charge less when they also had an EM there- Orr was EM during the negotiating phase which led to Flint's final decision, after all- or, like, take a drive out to the actual Flint River and take a whiff.

Mad when the government doesn't do enough. Typical Obamite. :rolleyes:

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
http://www.fox2detroit.com/news/local-news/183854959-story

The people affected by this are going to stuff abandoned houses more full of garbage, seems like a good plan.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Lime Tonics posted:

http://www.fox2detroit.com/news/local-news/183854959-story

The people affected by this are going to stuff abandoned houses more full of garbage, seems like a good plan.

the free market works

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
they should send their trash to texas, oh wait, i guess thats what all those michigan license plates are. They're trash people is what im saying here

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Freestyle posted:

nah, the british empire at its peak was way better than the USA

Lafarg
Jul 23, 2012

Out of curiosity I looked up home prices in Flint, MI. Holy smokes.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Flint michigan has been a poo poo hole for 60 years now. People that live there are poor as gently caress and they vote democrats.

It appears they have always voted democrats for 60 years now too, while still living in a poo poo hole and still on the dole.

IDK, seems kinda odd to me.

Its almost as if the Dems want flint to remain a poo poo hole and its people poor forever.

naem
May 29, 2011

system protocol posted:

There are a lot of abandoned homes, you could just move into one and then own it by filing some paperwork

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ho boy look at all these Democrats ruining an already lovely state.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Frijolero posted:

Whoa, the secretary of state has no body. :iiam:

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

thats what they get for living in michigan

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

its amazing that despite how bad flint is, their water situation is still better than californias

we're gonna steal water from oregon

it'll be fine they'll be too couchlocked to stop us

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
tbh I don't really understand how the people of Flint haven't formed a mob and forcibly removed their gov't officials from office

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Frijolero posted:

What a bunch of Uncle Toms.

Another one, goddamn.

Mother fucker. Goddamn, I guess this Uncle Tom is a loving Democratic gas bag, a real anti BLM state rep.

Kidd-Liggit
Sep 6, 2011

You mean I have to go to Philly?
That's a terrible hat Jacqueline

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Moridin920 posted:

tbh I don't really understand how the people of Flint haven't formed a mob and forcibly removed their gov't officials from office

they dont want to get killed by police

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
not that both parties aren't hilariously corrupt, but when you're talking local politics bickering about R or D is meaningless bc local politics is always filled with graft and lovely people

just on a side note wasn't it the emergency financial duder who the state government appointed that hosed all the water up?

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Prorat posted:

It's not the hottest summer recorded and 2015 was not the hottest year despite what Leo tells you.

it depends on tje scale of the statement

hottest summer in north america? in michigan? hell, i dunno. probably not. its statistically unlikely

2015 had teh highest recorded temperature anomaly from global average ever recorded so yes 2015 is the hottest year on record

Veshpo
May 23, 2016

Snatch Duster posted:

What a bunch of Uncle Toms.

Eric Mays looks like a loving baller, don't say bad stuff about him

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Moridin920 posted:

not that both parties aren't hilariously corrupt, but when you're talking local politics bickering about R or D is meaningless bc local politics is always filled with graft and lovely people

just on a side note wasn't it the emergency financial duder who the state government appointed that hosed all the water up?

Guy was a scapegoat really. He was black republican dude appointed by the white governor to fix Flint. Flint has been hosed for a long time and there is always someone else to blame, never Flint itself or the people they elect.

The simple fact that Flint has been mismanaging it funds for decades doesn't matter. If you read the 2014 audit of Flint's revenue, you can quickly and plainly see where they loving up or funneling money to their own pockets.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

system protocol posted:

:holymoley:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
that $6.2k looks pretty cute for a young couple too bad it's basically on the equivalent of a toxic waste site at this point

I wonder if there's a class action lawsuit brewing against the city or the state coming from home owners who saw their equity tank. I'd certainly be pissed. Hell if people are suing VW over the air emissions thing de-valuing their car why not.

Snatch Duster posted:

If you read the 2014 audit of Flint's revenue, you can quickly and plainly see where they loving up or funneling money to their own pockets.

esp if that's true (and I have no reason to think it isn't)

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer
How the gently caress is that 1-bedroom apartment going for almost $300k?

Kwanzaa Quickie
Nov 4, 2009
Brita filter in every room.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Moridin920 posted:

esp if that's true (and I have no reason to think it isn't)

Flint spent nearly 400 million in 2014 on a hospital, while only spending 4 mil on public works, 6 mil on water, and 2 mil on sewage. Hmm, quiet odd.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

ok maybe i will rethink my plans to move there thanks for the heads up op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

The Cubelodyte posted:

How the gently caress is that 1-bedroom apartment going for almost $300k?

15,000 square feet. You can't tell from the picture, but it's bet it's got some pretty awesome catacombs if you don't mind a lot of stairs.

• Locked thread