Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

:siren:UPDATE::siren:

I hate underwater fighting.

Skippy Granola posted:

We all do, Shlap

I'm glad we agree.

Doctor Hospital fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Aug 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

We all do, Shlap

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above
While there are certain SPOILERS I really enjoy that we'll never see in a game again since swimming will never return, I will not miss the mechanic itself.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

And I did it completely with a bow/arrow. My life is self-induced suffering.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Haven't clicked the link but it's Gobul, isn't it

That rear end in a top hat is the definition of gently caress Underwater Fighting

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

Haven't clicked the link but it's Gobul, isn't it

That rear end in a top hat is the definition of gently caress Underwater Fighting

It is.

Wordybird
Oct 22, 2013

I like Chicken.
I like Liver.
Meow Mix Meow Mix please reconsider.
When I first heard the name Gobul I thought it sounded adorable. Well, it's not so adorable now.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Gobul cheats, is the short answer. Numerous spherical attacks, surprising mobility, and a mouth that takes up 120 degrees of its frontal hitbox. Real nice.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I've got a friend who's scared to god drat death of Creatures Of The Abyssal Deep, and Gobul fits that list rather nicely

I should show him pictures :D

SilverGryphon
Oct 14, 2012

This might just be fun after all.

Ciaphas posted:

I've got a friend who's scared to god drat death of Creatures Of The Abyssal Deep, and Gobul fits that list rather nicely

I should show him pictures :D

You are a horrible, evil friend XD

Gods, I don't even remember what I ran for Gobul back in the day. I think it might have been dual swords. In retrospect that was probably a mistake.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Skippy Granola posted:

Gobul cheats, is the short answer. Numerous spherical attacks, surprising mobility, and a mouth that takes up 120 degrees of its frontal hitbox. Real nice.

Truly, the perfect predator.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I'm happy this LP exists.

I "started" with 3U myself. I say "started" because I didn't get very far. I sucked. I forget how far I got but I don't remember the Barroth, so I must not have fought him. I remember the red balloon bird, though. gently caress him.

I really got sucked into the series with 4U, where I found my best friend the Insect Glaive. Rodeo monsters all day long! I played a ton of 4U with a small group of friends, who taught me the finer points of smashing monsters, the most important one being Always Prance. Always.

I am loving Generations! More rodeoing opportunities can only be good, as far as I'm concerned. However... I main the Prowler, so I may be a crazy person whose opinions are not to be trusted.

Bellophon
Sep 26, 2012
I'm really loving this LP, but it's also making me really glad I started with 4U.

Is all water combat that bad, or is Gobul just a special case?

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

It's pretty bad. The controls are unintuitive and the mechanics of underwater fighting are clunky. Capcom rightfully abolished it for 4U and replaced it with mounting, which is much better.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Bellophon posted:

I'm really loving this LP, but it's also making me really glad I started with 4U.

Is all water combat that bad, or is Gobul just a special case?

Both? Underwater combat is never good, but everything Skippy said is absolutely true- Gobul is overdesigned to be a complete menace underwater, which is why a major mechanic with Gobul is learning how to minimize that- Gobul is really bad on land, and has some unique traits that haven't been shown off yet, one of which is that he shares a major weakness with an incarnation of Ganondorf.

That said, Gobul isn't even the worst underwater encounter in the game. There's a very special one much later, and even later then that there's a special variant of one of the underwater monsters who's redefined 'jerkass' for the franchise. But Gobul is the worst we're going to see for a long time.

SilverGryphon
Oct 14, 2012

This might just be fun after all.

Silver Falcon posted:

I'm happy this LP exists.

I "started" with 3U myself. I say "started" because I didn't get very far. I sucked. I forget how far I got but I don't remember the Barroth, so I must not have fought him. I remember the red balloon bird, though. gently caress him.

I really got sucked into the series with 4U, where I found my best friend the Insect Glaive. Rodeo monsters all day long! I played a ton of 4U with a small group of friends, who taught me the finer points of smashing monsters, the most important one being Always Prance. Always.

I am loving Generations! More rodeoing opportunities can only be good, as far as I'm concerned. However... I main the Prowler, so I may be a crazy person whose opinions are not to be trusted.

XD That's basically my story, though I got a bit farther than you did. (that One Monster in the Tundra. It can go die in a fire.) But then I got 4U and fell in love with the Insect Glaive and it remains my main to this day. Mounts all day every day yo.

Nothing wrong with maining Prowler, my friend. You are Good Cat and I for one will always welcome a Good Cat onto my team.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Monster Hunter has been a weird series for me, I could never get into tri on the Wii no matter how many times I try again, 4U was promising but I got burnt out early on.

Generations seemed to be the deal breaker, not only did I beat single player, I finally got to take down some of the real heavy hitters like the Pickle monster :-)

I plan on going back with 3U soon, and this LP has been a great deal of help for some of the poo poo that'll go down for me too :getin:

VinnyDonuts
Oct 4, 2013

:lobcorp:
Gobul is a jerk, but his music is fantastic. Trap of the Muddy Stream is low, ominous, and really highlights what a menace this thing is. Reminds me of Jaws, and really helps sell the sea monster vibe for everything you fight underwater here.

Really, I love all the area music in this game, which is more than I can say fo Generations. Tremble of the Sea and Land sounds like a magnificent fight on the open ocean and is a great remix of the opening theme, and Sandy Plains is easily my favorite desert in the series just because of Earth Sand and Fiery Winds. It's so adventurous and just kinda makes me want to run real fast to feel the wind on my face.

Highbrow music critique, I know, but the music in these games really adds to the feel of fighting these huge monsters and I feel like it gets overlooked sometimes.

Which is why I will always, -always- hate Khezu. gently caress that thing with a Rustshard.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

SilverGryphon posted:

XD That's basically my story, though I got a bit farther than you did. (that One Monster in the Tundra. It can go die in a fire.) But then I got 4U and fell in love with the Insect Glaive and it remains my main to this day. Mounts all day every day yo.

Pretty much my story as well. Started with Tri, got to a certain fight (not understanding grinding for new armour/weapons or armour skills), got annoyed after said fight kicked my rear end, never played it again.

Picked up 4U and started to understand things a lot more. After picking up the Hunting Horn and then the Charge Blade, I got into it to the point where I eventually pumped about 650 hours into it (and didn't even finish it completely - only non-Apex thing I didn't beat was Gogmazios). Then I tried the patched PC MH Online but really couldn't get into it due to lack of CB.

Now I'm on Generations and loving it. Done all village quests and nearing the rank 7 ones online (I now have armour sets with all resistances as well). I do agree about feeling far stronger than I felt in 4U, because everything was pretty much dying so quickly. I'm determined to get every CB in the game though and max level it.

Oh, and yes, prancing is the only thing to do once you kill a monster. Doesn't matter if there's ore points or carves. PRANCE!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

SilverGryphon posted:

Gods, I don't even remember what I ran for Gobul back in the day. I think it might have been dual swords. In retrospect that was probably a mistake.

Yeah, I always fought him with DS and..yeesh. I think I mostly ended up just fishing him into bombs on the shore so I could spend less time underwater.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Hunting Horn or Switch Axe probably would've been a better option for Gobul when I was fighting him. They have lots of reach and good underwater movesets, but I wanted to show off the hammer because I love it so much.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
I am a monster newb whose first game is MHGenerations and I just did a mission where you have to kill 3 Nibelsnarf in a row. Yeah, I am not big fan of that monster.

Great LP, btw

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

davidHalestorm posted:

I am a monster newb whose first game is MHGenerations and I just did a mission where you have to kill 3 Nibelsnarf in a row. Yeah, I am not big fan of that monster.

Great LP, btw

The most annoying thing about the Nibelsnarf is the fact that the icon for it makes it seem like it should be making a noise like the Bulborb from Pikmin.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

I'm going to work up a bow set for multiplayer. I think it'd be cool to get some goons together for a nostalgia trip and try to hit g rank

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Skippy Granola posted:

I'm going to work up a bow set for multiplayer. I think it'd be cool to get some goons together for a nostalgia trip and try to hit g rank

Regretting not having a WiiU right now.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

I'm getting geared up to get STEAK into Multiplayer soon. With what I have recorded now, I could probably go ahead and get through HR1 and part of HR2.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I eagerly await this

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
Ugh. So if I own the game for 3ds id still need to tether to wiiU to play with you guys? Shame, i would have loved to have guested or joined in on skippys nostalgia tour.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

:siren:UPDATE:siren:

Today we hunt some variations on monsters we've already hunted but with some extra gimmicks that make them stand out. Also, we're really good at math.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
Ahhh, Lagombi. In Portable 3rd, this was where the game starts taking your prep seriously, and where you're more likely to fail your first attempt at hunting the monster. One thing it likes to do for hunters that stay in one place for two long is that sweeping move it did to Cha-Cha, where it does a quick skid around you. And it will do it, time and time again, unless you get the hell out of dodge. Unless, like my first time, it stuns you. And then murderises you with sick Gymkhana.

The second time, it fell to good Hanzo Yukumo Steel. Getting to like the Longsword. :getin:

Meanwhile, yep, Great Baggi is indeed meant to be something like 30-odd feet from tip to tail. So is a King-Sized Great Jaggi. Surprisingly, however, the scale is mostly accurate. For example, me posing about ten feet away from a Bulldrome...

Bulldrome is 18 feet. When I'm standing next to one, my feetses (Let's argue about 2-3 feet across) just about take up a third of the tusks.

Also, I am definitely a Fashion Hunter. I want all the drat outfits. Which is why I get so disappointed with some. I imagine, when I get to it, that I'll get quite disappointed with the lady only kit in Portable 3rd, the Mosgharl set. I was already disappointed once, by the Bnahbra Suit. I mean, the top hat and vest? Fine. But the whole thing?

...Eh.

Oh, yeah, there are some minor differences in cutscenes between Portable 3rd (Which also has no swimming, a different town, Palicos, and other fun features that I don't recall seeing in Tri/3U) and Tri/3U. In Portable 3rd, it's not an Aptonoth getting a faceful of poison, it's a Slagtoth. I don't know which I feel worse for, tbqh...

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Ya know, the baggi fight probably woulda went way easier if you took a sec to smack the little guys, considering their sleep gunk is about as potent as the big guy's.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I haven't looked at the LP subforum in a while, but I'm glad I did. I'm really pumped to see a new Monster Hunter LP. It's always fun to see how different people approach this series/genre.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
and with the sub baggies I now want a wii U

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Large bird wyverns can be a real hassle with a great sword. Way too zippy.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Story time: The first time I hunted Wroggi, Cha-Cha would wait to smack me until AFTER I had already recovered from the sleep gunk, keeping me in place just long enough to get hit by another hit of sleep gunk.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

MachuPikacchu posted:

Story time: The first time I hunted Wroggi, Cha-Cha would wait to smack me until AFTER I had already recovered from the sleep gunk, keeping me in place just long enough to get hit by another hit of sleep gunk.

loving Cha-Cha.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

cha-cha is half the reason I'm sad I started with tri.

The other half is that tri had very little content, but that's for another time, maybe.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Zoig posted:

cha-cha is half the reason I'm sad I started with tri.

The other half is that tri had very little content, but that's for another time, maybe.

I started and ended with tri because of this

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I literally never used Cha-Cha when I was playing Tri.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Night10194 posted:

I literally never used Cha-Cha when I was playing Tri.

I did, this may have been another mistake. Also cha-cha is hilarious and undependable.

• Locked thread