Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Evasion +3 (at+20 evade) gives you .6
The probably much more attainable +2 gives you .4 at +15.

Thats a shitload of i frames.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Just looking at those numbers makes me feel invincible, goddamn.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Evasion +3 (at+20 evade) gives you .6
The probably much more attainable +2 gives you .4 at +15.

Thats a shitload of i frames.

Evasion +3 plus Mega Dash Juice is how you do Evade Lancer properly.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

:siren:UPDATE:siren:

I had been dreading this fight since I started the LP, but honestly it didn't go too badly.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Aw I like Diablos :( That scream sounds really good, plus it is super-easy to chump in 4U with the Charge Blade and guard pointing.

Also neither type of Blos is in Generations, though as you said Diablos is back in XX and has a variant form as well :eng101:

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
Never was a fan of either of the Blosses, but Monoblos does have one of my favourite intros in 4U. The Gendrome gets absolutely wrecked.

Also, I'm hoping there's a Deviant Seregios in XX.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

I hope XX has good monster intros. The ones in Generations are just awful.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Im a fan of the diabolos :colbert:
And especially when I club it to death.

Alao on why lagiacrus armor is good: flagship monster armor and weapons always seem to do very well until early-mid high rank. Even better if its from the flagship giant monster.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Nov 11, 2016

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

There are lots of things that make Generations look like the unfinished, extra-long demo of XX. The monster intros for one, but also the completely non-existant story: your character just walks into the village and starts taking quests. If anything, Generations pushed me back to MH4U.

(Generations is still good, though, don't get me wrong)

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Shlapintogan posted:

I hope XX has good monster intros. The ones in Generations are just awful.

I heard they cut down on them in order to keep the game's filesize small. I bought it digitally and I think it was only 1.5 GB or so.

God I need to get my rear end in gear on Generations, I'm still only HR3.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

MachuPikacchu posted:

There are lots of things that make Generations look like the unfinished, extra-long demo of XX. The monster intros for one, but also the completely non-existant story: your character just walks into the village and starts taking quests. If anything, Generations pushed me back to MH4U.

(Generations is still good, though, don't get me wrong)

Despite not having a story, Generations has the best ending in the series.

N-N-N-NINE BREAKER
Jul 12, 2014

Ah yes, the ending that must not be named

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Agnaktor has a super cool gimmick that makes him take way longer to fight.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Found on DeviantArt. So I'm definitely not the only one who saw the resemblance.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Love that clacking. Really cool sound design.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

This is why Mind's Eye is great and I love it. Being able to wail on Agnaktor with sword mode is the best.

E: Flame Aura is one of those skills I just don't get

Ex2: DoubleNegative get MH3U, what is wrong with you

MachuPikacchu fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Nov 16, 2016

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

-snip-

Also, yeah, Mind's Eye is wonderful because you can keep all of your combos going more effectively. Lots of attacks have it innately, but there is an armor skill that makes it so all attacks have it. Not quite as good as it sounds, though, because you shouldn't be going after parts that you bounce on normally, but hey, on armored targets like cooled-off Agnaktor, it can be a big help.

Doctor Hospital fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Nov 16, 2016

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I fought Agnaktor a bunch in Generations. I needed a poo poo-load of his scales for some reason. It always took me (I thought) way too long to kill him and I felt I was doing something wrong.

No, no, looks like I wasn't. It's just his gimmick. I have never managed to cut off his tail, though. Didn't even know you could!

Also, regarding sharpness related skills, I always get Handicraft and Sharpness mixed up. Handicraft is granted from Sharpness skill points, but there's also an actual Sharpness skill and that one comes from Razor sharp points. Then there's Grinder, which is another thing entirely. I can never keep it straight.

Silver Falcon fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Nov 16, 2016

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Shlapintogan posted:

-snip-

Also, yeah, Mind's Eye is wonderful because you can keep all of your combos going more effectively. Lots of attacks have it innately, but there is an armor skill that makes it so all attacks have it. Not quite as good as it sounds, though, because you shouldn't be going after parts that you bounce on normally, but hey, on armored targets like cooled-off Agnaktor, it can be a big help.

It's pretty much mandatory against the Metal Raths.

Spoilering that just in case they appear in 3U. I'm not sure if they do or not.

Silver Falcon posted:

I fought Agnaktor a bunch in Generations. I needed a poo poo-load of his scales for some reason. It always took me (I thought) way too long to kill him and I felt I was doing something wrong.

We did too because the armour set is a good fire resistant one, plus it has HotBlooded/Tropic Hunter which is a stupidly good skill in hot areas.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Just a minor update regarding the next couple of updates: I'm in the middle of going from working days to working overnight shifts, so the next couple of updates may come a little later than usual while I get acclimated to my new schedule. I've got up through the end of low rank recorded, and DoubleNegative and I have already done commentary for them, I've just got to put them together. Shortly after I finish low rank, there will be a couple of multiplayer videos and then we'll get going with the real meat and potatoes of the game.

Thanks for bearing with me during all this!

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Thread, do you think Uragaan looks like Jay Leno or Chiquita Dave? Cast your votes now.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Jay Leno.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Or, perhaps, does Jay Leno look like Uragaan? Think about it.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

It's neither. Uragaan looks like Dark Vader.

Goggle Fox
Jul 9, 2011

Uragaan is Ron Perlman as Hellboboboboboy.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

DoubleNegative posted:

It's neither. Uragaan looks like Dark Vader.

Dark Vader is too mild-mannered to be Uragaan. Chin is dead on, though.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Uragaan is barnacle jim

VinnyDonuts
Oct 4, 2013

:lobcorp:
Uragaan looks like The Crimson Chin.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

VinnyDonuts posted:

Uragaan looks like The Crimson Chin.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought that.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Shlapintogan posted:

Thread, do you think Uragaan looks like Jay Leno or Chiquita Dave? Cast your votes now.

Jay Leno, for sure. There's a question about this?

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

The next video should be up either tomorrow or wednesday. I was pretty busy all last week so I haven't got the chance to even edit it yet. :v:

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

We've killed a whole lot of monsters, built up a ton of weapons and armor, and created a load of items, but now, it's about justice.

Also, I've decided to put this thread on a very short hiatus following this update. December is a very busy month of the year for me, and I've got a few prior commitments that need seeing to. I also may have run out of footage. So that's fun, I'll be recording more in the interim, and we should be able to pick up a couple of days after the first of January.

In the meantime, why not check out ColorPrinter's Perfectly Normal Run of Pokemon Red, DoubleNegative's Terraria LP, or Kobuddy's LP of Bloodborne?

Doctor Hospital fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Dec 7, 2016

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Behind the scenes peek:

The last words in the update were gonna be "I'm sad" referring to the lack of monster length, but there was no way to make it work.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Oh boy, that stinger image :allears: Woe to you who doesn't get it, though admittedly I never got very far into HR here so I didn't get the full experience.

Ceadeus is a cool design but yeah having to do the whole thing underwater is a pain. Its gear looks totally rad though.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Dec 7, 2016

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

time for some bery hungry, very angry pickles :getin:

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Guys did you know I'm playing :siren: SUB-OPTIMALLY :siren:

Thanks again, Chris.

SilverGryphon
Oct 14, 2012

This might just be fun after all.
The music for that last fight and cinematic is awesome.

And looking forward to the Hungry Hungry Pickles! Have a great December, guys!

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

Shlapintogan posted:

Guys did you know I'm playing :siren: SUB-OPTIMALLY :siren:

Thanks again, Chris.

I sometimes really dislike the "Sub-Optimal" crowd. Can't wait for somebody to do MHGen so folks see that "sub-optimal" can also mean enjoyable (Shoutout to everybody who just uses Aerial Style to kickflip off their friends.) Or heck, even "challenging yourself" (I'mma try and take down this monster I have to hunt for parts... But this time, I'll use... THING to up my skills!)

Basically, sod optimal play in so many ways.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Having played a bunch of MH in the last couple of years, the beauty of it is that despite how much customization there is in the game, everything is do-able with a given equipment setup as long as you're not going out of your way to gimp yourself. Granted some monsters are easier or harder with a given weapon (Tigrex, which isn't in this game, is a pain with ranged weapons but easily chumped by the Charge Blade in later games) but any hunt can be successfully completed with any equipment so long as you keep it up to level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

JamieTheD posted:

I sometimes really dislike the "Sub-Optimal" crowd. Can't wait for somebody to do MHGen so folks see that "sub-optimal" can also mean enjoyable (Shoutout to everybody who just uses Aerial Style to kickflip off their friends.) Or heck, even "challenging yourself" (I'mma try and take down this monster I have to hunt for parts... But this time, I'll use... THING to up my skills!)

Basically, sod optimal play in so many ways.

Don't forget the two words that must never be uttered together. "Fashion hunter".

• Locked thread