Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Moonwolf posted:

I'm pretty sure https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPAcZgTUGts is the run of them. It's chopped into 5m pieces though.

That's the one!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCB36d8Pyoo&t=236s (3:56 if it removes the link) for the Manics bit

[edit]

Doing the wrong kind of history snipe (ie based on today's date), but on the 31st August 1939 the Germans staged a false flag attack on the German radio station Sender Gleiwitz, as Poles, precipitating the invasion of Poland the following day.

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Aug 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moonwolf
Jun 29, 2004

Flee from th' terrifyin' evil of "NHS"!

Searching for The Nuremberg Trials Russia was enough to get it, there is indeed an American war board film with the same name.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
I never get to give irrelevant historical facts :saddowns:

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Guavanaut posted:

I then described those people trying to build a cult of personality around him as imprinting their own ideal of a perfect Labour leader onto him, something that would have been hard for them to do when he was not Labour leader.

I don't think somebody has to be labour leader before you can claim they would be perfect for the job.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

May you slumber in peace, little thread.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Aug 31, 2016

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

So, see you all next year.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pissflaps posted:

I don't think somebody has to be labour leader before you can claim they would be perfect for the job.
You don't think people who have been generally politically disengaged for most of their life and heard something vaguely appealing to them coming from Westminster for the first time during a leadership campaign and subsequent leadership might project their hopes and dreams onto that leader more than they would on to some random backbencher with a beard?

How do you see personality cults forming then?

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Nuremberg-Trials-1947-Soviet-Documentary/dp/B003XENV1A/ref=sr_1_4 it's this if you want to spend a couple of quid

[edit]

The full quote is:

The court has come. The court of the nations, and into the courtroom will come the martyrs of Majdanek and Oswiecim. From the ditch of Kerch the dead will rise. They will rise from the graves, they will rise from the flames, bringing with them the acrid smoke and deathly odour of a scorched and martyred Europe. And the children, they too will come; stern and merciless. The butchers had no pity on them, but now the victims will judge the butchers. Today every drop of spilt innocent blood will speak for itself, and every wrinkle will call for retribution. Today the tear of the child is the judge, the grief of the mother is the prosecutor. Oh what a long and painful road judges and prosecutors had to plod to reach this courtroom, before fascism could be tried it had to be vanquished (etc, talking about how the Red Army won the war)

Cheers, bought that now.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Guavanaut posted:

You don't think people who have been generally politically disengaged for most of their life and heard something vaguely appealing to them coming from Westminster for the first time during a leadership campaign and subsequent leadership might project their hopes and dreams onto that leader more than they would on to some random backbencher with a beard?

How do you see personality cults forming then?

A lot of these people were similarly inspired by Clegg in 2010.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Did Clegg get many votes in the North and other traditional Labour heartlands?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Did Clegg get many votes in the North and other traditional Labour heartlands?

He's an MP in Sheffield mate.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

serious gaylord posted:

There 100%, definitely is a group of people desperate to turn Corbyn into a cult of personality. Not many, but you cannot deny they exist.

Yeah there's a few of them that get quoted off Twitter to make up lurid headlines, but the question was asked of posters in this thread, and I don't think anyone here is a cultist?

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
I'd quite happily join any cult capable of drugging me enough to not be aware of UK politics. even a dirty centrist labour one

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

ThaumPenguin posted:

May you slumber in peace, little thread.

It's okay the next thread will be pretty much the arguments in this one word for word, so it will never truly die

unfortunately

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Wolfsbane posted:

What a delightful prospect. Good to see Luke admit he's happy to see us go through with this pointless farce continually for as long as it takes regardless of how hosed it makes things for Labour.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

forkboy84 posted:

What a delightful prospect. Good to see Luke admit he's happy to see us go through with this pointless farce continually for as long as it takes regardless of how hosed it makes things for Labour.

It's about winning, except this time.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
It's Corbyn's fault these people can't control their selves. If he was a better leader he'd have stepped down to stop causing so much distress to these giant children. But as it is he is a BAD leader and a BAD man who delights in his "IDEALS" and "JAM".

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Wolfsbane posted:

Why is no-one asking this tool what was the main point then?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
A better leader would have stood down for the good of the party.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Pissflaps posted:

A better leader would have stood down for the good of the party.

The MPs should have stood down for the good of the party.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The crown does not have enough offices of profit for that I think, we'd be here until 2020 just getting rid of them all.

Also I'd prefer them to do their jobs rather than resigning.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

OwlFancier posted:

Also I'd prefer them to do their jobs rather than resigning.

What does this mean?

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!
Because the party is all that matters regardless of what it actually stands for, and people accuse Corbyn supporters of being a cult.

Anyway the point of this and the inevitable future challenges was never to win but to prevent Corbyn and the Labour Left from gaining any momentum at all, which was why the coup began straight after the referendum.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
New thread here. Maybe there will be some new exciting topics. :sax:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pissflaps posted:

What does this mean?

Do their utmost to promote the ideals of the party that elected them, in parliament.

• Locked thread