Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Angepain posted:

I imagine like last time around people in general will be concerned about the screwing over of vulnerable people

I can't tell if it's what you mean, but to be clear this also includes many of the athletes.

There's a huge rant/effortpost in there but the tl;dr is that it's a problem that could be nullified entirely by a policy beginning with "m" and ending with "income".

e/ 2003: Iraq is invaded by the USA, and a bunch of other countries nobody really cares about.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Aug 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The Charlie Hebdo thing really did seem to break the brains of a lot of educated self-described progressives. I don't know if it was because it gave them an opportunity to express the racism that they'd been suppressing all those years or what, but way more than 9/11 or 7/7 it exposed a really loving nasty side of them.

Which is interesting because that's exactly what terrorist actions like that were supposed to do - drive the ideological wedge between 'civilised culture' and 'fuckin mooslims' in order to foment alienation. Thankfully the liberal intelligentsia marched into that one in lock-step.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
more income does sound like a winning policy and I for one am behind it

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Renaissance Robot posted:

I can't tell if it's what you mean, but to be clear this also includes many of the athletes.

There's a huge rant/effortpost in there but the tl;dr is that it's a problem that could be nullified entirely by a policy beginning with "m" and ending with "income".
murder the rentier class and divide up their income?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Nice, nice :golfclap:

No reason we can't do that as well as the thing I was thinking of.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

There's a D&D thread on the Rio Olympics that covers a lot of the upcoming issues, of which there are a lot with Zika quite far down the worry list, and there's probably a GBS one with more of both links and shitposting.

I liked this (admittedly Gawker) article for listing a lot of the issues - http://gawker.com/all-the-reasons-the-rio-olympics-are-hosed-1782463214 - though it doesn't cover some of the more recent incidents, like a Chinese hurdler being thrown up on and having his luggage stolen while cleaning himself off, or the Australian team's lodgings burning down, with silenced fire alarms, and having some of their possession nicked while evacuating.

Basically I will be pleasantly surprised if a non-fatal stabbing and mugging is the worst to happen to any athletes or tourists there.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
Muslims were only ever welcome in the coalition insofar as their subordinated their demands to the wider desires of the secular (and white, educated, etc) majority, anyway.

Never mind shooting up some cartoonists, this is most obvious with LGBT issues.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

Cerebral Bore posted:

That's not what he's saying though, he's arguing for a soft brexit as opposed to a hard one.

Exactly. EEA =/= EU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
that gawker article doesn't include athletes being kidnapped by the police

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

ronya posted:

Muslims were only ever welcome in the coalition insofar as their subordinated their demands to the wider desires of the secular (and white, educated, etc) majority, anyway.

Never mind shooting up some cartoonists, this is most obvious with LGBT issues.

What's wrong with defending LGBT issues?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Kurtofan posted:

He's referring to the pushback against LGBTQ issues in the Muslim community. Remember how much vitriol Sadiq Khan got for supporting gay marriage?

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

Kurtofan posted:

Well, nothing. The secular majority is a secular majority; it can and should impose its priorities (conversely, in Malaysia or Bangladesh, you could saliently argue that a liberal coalition should make hard choices).

But as with all big tents, every now and then some faction convinces themselves that they're better off going it alone with Direct Action or what-have-you, so that they never have to compromise with the degenerate liberal majority at all. Then you have problems.

ronya fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Aug 1, 2016

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ronya posted:

(note the careful avoidance of any mention where the resources will come from - i.e., PFIs. This evasion is quite noticeable if you recall Blair's speeches from 1996ish)

And this is confabulation designed to appeal to marginals:

I uh, think that's supposed to come from the whole "national investment bank" thing.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Will Straw, who has failed at every job despite enjoying every opportunity possible, is to get a CBE and David Cameron's press aide may get peerage. Robust reporting from the Times

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

OwlFancier posted:

I uh, think that's supposed to come from the whole "national investment bank" thing.

along German KfW lines (ie state owned, but otherwise for-profit), rather than Corbyn's NIB backed by the BOE a la People's QE

which is not Blairite at all. indeed no Labour centrist in any capacity would preach to the City on its merits. (note the dates)

snark aside, I will note that McDonnell has dropped the more radical BOE-tieup elements in favour of the German-style proposal

ronya fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Aug 1, 2016

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Is that the poster for the new Trainspotting sequel?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ronya posted:

along German KfW lines (ie state owned, but otherwise for-profit), rather than Corbyn's NIB backed by the BOE a la People's QE

which is not Blairite at all. indeed no Labour centrist in any capacity would preach to the City on its merits. (note the dates)

snark aside, I will note that McDonnell has dropped the more radical BOE-tieup elements in favour of the German-style proposal

It isn't blairite because they've never done it and I doubt they ever would. They prefer PFIing everything.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

ronya posted:

I think you often get a little tied up in trying to defend Blair's legacy and don't appreciate that our criticisms of Blairism aren't 'literally everything' but the intellectually hollow yes-men and cult of personality he set up around himself. He had good ideas. Hell in 1982 he wrote a rather interesting letter to Michael Foot as you no doubt recall http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2006/jun/16/past.labour

But the thing is that for all his good ideas he still managed to gently caress up the Labour Party in his desire for control.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Kurtofan posted:

I keep reading Guardian comment and it's crazy how right wing they are, especially when it came to Muslims.

And I took a look at a Daily Mail comment section... and the most upvoted comments were basically the reverse of what you'd expect :psyduck:

This is normal. Rightwingers go to the Guardian website to troll and/or be outraged, and I guess lefties go to the Daily Heil likewise?

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Kurtofan posted:

Nothing, but it tends to seriously annoy a lot of religious types, including some Muslims, since they are convinced that their religion frowns on things like gay sex, changing gender, etc.

It's the classic problem of where you draw the "tolerance" boundary, basically. Do you let some people's religious beliefs affect someone else's freedom to shag who they like? (The evil degenerate "liberal" position would be to say no, you don't and that religion is a matter of private conscience and shouldn't inform state law-making. Fuckin' liberals amirite)

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

feedmegin posted:

This is normal. Rightwingers go to the Guardian website to troll and/or be outraged, and I guess lefties go to the Daily Heil likewise?

Well also that the Daily Mail is far to the right of the average Briton, even if it often feels like we're in a far-right hellhole at times.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

I think you often get a little tied up in trying to defend Blair's legacy and don't appreciate that our criticisms of Blairism aren't 'literally everything' but the intellectually hollow yes-men and cult of personality he set up around himself. He had good ideas. Hell in 1982 he wrote a rather interesting letter to Michael Foot as you no doubt recall http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2006/jun/16/past.labour

But the thing is that for all his good ideas he still managed to gently caress up the Labour Party in his desire for control.

I think my biggest problem with the Blairites right now is that they don't actually defend his record, with the notable exception of Iraq, at all. They're basically Cameronites who argue from a position to the right of Blair that his government overspent on everything and only really share his desire to control every aspect of the party.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

OwlFancier posted:

It isn't blairite because they've never done it and I doubt they ever would. They prefer PFIing everything.

the liabilities/assets of the bank remain off-balance-sheet and technocratically insulated from mass politics, and are instead subject to a 'rational'/'objective' return-on-investment test, which is what really matters to neoliberalism

I will point out that the UK once had the NEDC and its subsidiary industrial committees and a vast proliferation of semi-state bodies like the National Ports Council, British Transport Docks Board, British Railways Board, British Waterways Board, yada yada to reify the concept of national infrastructure financing and management. There were important and meaningful reasons why these eventually ceased to be relevant to the process of administering the infrastructure of the UK!

Ultimately, if today you look upon the UK Export Finance Agency - one of the only remaining survivors of state-linked industrial financing - and your main thought is RAUGH IMPERIALISM ARMS SALES ABOLISH IT IMMEDIATELY, then you are your own enemy

ronya fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Aug 1, 2016

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

Is that the poster for the new Trainspotting sequel?

I chose not to choose life: I chose something else. And the reasons? There are no reasons. Who needs reasons when you've got wealth?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Zephro posted:

Nothing, but it tends to seriously annoy a lot of religious types, including some Muslims, since they are convinced that their religion frowns on things like gay sex, changing gender, etc.

It's the classic problem of where you draw the "tolerance" boundary, basically. Do you let some people's religious beliefs affect someone else's freedom to shag who they like? (The evil degenerate "liberal" position would be to say no, you don't and that religion is a matter of private conscience and shouldn't inform state law-making. Fuckin' liberals amirite)
The traditional liberal position on religion is the same as the traditional liberal position on sexuality, that "It is not, in our view, the function of the law to intervene in the private life of citizens, or to seek to enforce any particular pattern of behaviour."

You can do whatever sexual things you want in the privacy of your bedroom (subject to the consent of all those involved and things like the common law definition of actual bodily harm) and you can do whatever religious things you want in the privacy of your shrine (subject to things like animal welfare and fire codes). Where the trad. liberal model falls apart is when you want any kind of a public life, whether that's wearing a hijab or having your partnership recognized.

It's also dependent heavily on a model of property ownership. Your bedroom. Your place of worship. It's reliant on everyone having equal access to forms of private property. I could probably make a pun about cruising on the commons here, but most of the thread criticism of liberals from a Marxist perspective is against this baseline reliance on individual propertied transactions rather than their tolerance.

Žižek has an interesting and relevant quote about how this gets applied to the specific example of religious doctrine.

Nom Nom Ideology posted:

This is why, in our secular, choice-based societies, people who maintain a substantial religious belonging are in a subordinate position. Even if they are allowed to maintain their belief, their belief is "tolerated" as their idiosyncratic personal choice or opinion. The moment they present it publicly as what it is for them, say a matter of substantial belonging, they are accused of "fundamentalism." What this means is that the "subject of free choice" in the Western "tolerant" multicultural sense can emerge only as the result of extremely violent process of being torn out of a particular life world, of being cut off from one's roots.

e: ^^^^ Nice!

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The thread's typical disdain for liberals is not their tolerance towards individual lifestyles, but for the 'gently caress you, got mine' attitude they extend towards people who don't share their social investments.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ronya posted:

the liabilities/assets of the bank remain off-balance-sheet and technocratically insulated from mass politics, and are instead subject to a 'rational'/'objective' return-on-investment test, which is what really matters to neoliberalism

I will point out that the UK once had the NEDC and its subsidiary industrial committees and a vast proliferation of semi-state bodies like the National Ports Council, British Transport Docks Board, British Railways Board, British Waterways Board, yada yada to reify the concept of national infrastructure financing and management. There were important and meaningful reasons why these eventually ceased to be relevant to the process of administering the infrastructure of the UK!

Ultimately, if today you look upon the UK Export Finance Agency - one of the only remaining survivors of state-linked industrial financing - and your main thought is RAUGH IMPERIALISM ARMS SALES ABOLISH IT IMMEDIATELY, then you are your own enemy

I can't say I have any idea what you're on about here.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

I can't say I have any idea what you're on about here.

He's talking about tripartism again. To what end I'm not sure.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

He's talking about tripartism again. To what end I'm not sure.
Which last thread we learned means getting pleasure from rubbing your genitals on things! :downs:

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Hahahahahaha: Secret memo: older people should lose right to a guaranteed state pension that rises every year

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Tesseraction posted:

The thread's typical disdain for liberals is not their tolerance towards individual lifestyles, but for the 'gently caress you, got mine' attitude they extend towards people who don't share their social investments.

I thought it was more about their tendency to maintain that the answer is somewhere in the middle even when one of the positiona presented is so absolutely horrific that the middle remains loving awful.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

quote:

He suggested in a series of articles in the past year that protecting pensions and benefits for the elderly, such as free bus passes, was the wrong priority. Mr Timothy argued that the Tories should remember that they are in government to help “ordinary people” and “low-paid working families”.

lol

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Renaissance Robot posted:

I thought it was more about their tendency to maintain that the answer is somewhere in the middle even when one of the positiona presented is so absolutely horrific that the middle remains loving awful.

Which is an FYGM position to take - they aren't harmed regardless so they take a 'moderate' position so as to appear benevolent. It's what legitimate use of the term 'virtue signalling' entails.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Meanwhile the Graun have a piece about the concept of us living not in democracy but an 'econocracy' where economics is the ruling class https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/jul/31/econocracy-split-britain-experts-ordinary-people-economics

Not an awful piece but seems a little naďvely optimistic as to the solution "we must connect with the public!!"

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

I think this new chief of staff owns plus he has a cracking beard

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Smith's latest https://twitter.com/owensmith2016/status/760057689191821312?s=09

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Aug 1, 2016

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

Which is an FYGM position to take - they aren't harmed regardless so they take a 'moderate' position so as to appear benevolent. It's what legitimate use of the term 'virtue signalling' entails.
As opposed to virgin signalling, which is also bad and a product of liberalism. :v:

I think there is a useful distinction to be made between 'liberals' and 'moderates'.

Moderates are the people that MLK Jr. criticized as the people saying "we really do care about your plight, but do you have to be so aggressive about it?" The "truth in the middle" types.

Liberals are close, but usually with an attachment to the capital ownership method of justification. "Does it matter what they're doing as long as they're doing it on their own property?" "Well, they own the newspaper so they should be allowed to print that, if there was a better competing idea it'd get it's own paper." type stuff.

They're generally interconnected when you live in a society that uses market economics as a means of social rationalization all the time, but I think there's a difference in the power dynamic there.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
I'm unbelievably excited about the Owen Smith campaign!

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Tesseraction posted:

I realise this, but it's pretty weird (especially for lurkers / occasional visitors) to see people raging against the evil liberals while strongly supporting their attitude towards how much power the state should have to enforce things like sexual codes of conduct. Everyone here is a massive liberal by any historical standard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I like the audio of crowds cheering on top of images of polite clapping.

• Locked thread