Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/760190568018305024

These things do seem a little better attended than Owen Smith's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

LeoMarr posted:

Im sure the BBCCP will drop gas in the streets when Premier Corbachev begins the intellectual purge.

I don't think you'd have anything to worry about.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Paxman posted:

Jezza is today (Thursday) announcing 10 pledges to “rebuild and transform” Britain including a plan for £500 billion of investment, according to the Huffington Post.

It seems to me that he and whoever is helping him have become a lot better at getting a message across in the past couple of weeks. He's a better candidate than Labour leader, maybe he'll be a better Labour leader once this election is over.

Probably helps that now he has a shadow cabinet that will actually do their jobs for him.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Paxman posted:

What is a man-bun please, because I am at work and don't want to Google it

It's a bun, but on a man.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/761242717942870016

Would be nice to see Shami Chakrabarti get something

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

El Grillo posted:

Smith was pretty bad. Not directly answering the nationalisation question for example, even though he's given some good answers at Q&As even only yesterday. Not sure why he didn't level criticisms at Jeremy's use of by-elections and local elections as evidence of growing support/'victories', that poo poo is ridiculous to hear from JC himself. Also not why Smith didn't directly criticise the (widely recognised) lack of an effective media strategy etc.

Hint: it's because he's rubbish, even at the PR thing that is supposed to be his principal advantage over Corbyn.

Noxville fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Aug 4, 2016

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

30.5 Days posted:

Naw man haven't you heard, Chakrabarti is only up for a peerage because she covered up labour anti-Semitism in that report.

Ugh I thought you were exaggerating but jeez https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/aug/04/shami-chakrabarti-peerage-labour-tensions-corbyn

If there's one person Labour could justify putting in the upper house it'd be her. At least the stupidest voices are coming from without the Labour party:

quote:

The Board of Deputies of British Jews, the leading group representing the Jewish community, also criticised the decision, as it was not happy with the antisemitism report. Marie van der Zyl, its vice-president, said: “It is beyond disappointing that Shami Chakrabarti has been offered, and accepted, a peerage from Labour following her so-called ‘independent’ inquiry.

“The report, which was weak in several areas, now seems to have been rewarded with an honour. This ‘whitewash for peerages’ is a scandal that surely raises serious questions about the integrity of Ms Chakrabarti, her inquiry and the Labour leadership.”

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Jose posted:

i really shouldn't be shocked but i can't believe how upset people are getting about chakrabarti getting a peerage. who gives a poo poo jfc

The BBC article on it makes me legit angry, they quote from three Jewish sources and they all follow the same circular logic of 'the report therefore she is only being rewarded for whitewashing therefore the report has no credibility and is bad' and I don't actually believe that Jews are actually such a monolithic block of stupid.

She's an accomplished human rights lawyer who's dedicated her career to advancing the causes of the unfortunate and the oppressed no matter how unpopular it's made her in certain quarters and has never compromised her principles, I honestly couldn't name someone better to serve in an unelected upper chamber. gently caress all the disingenuous point-scoring arseholes.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Alchenar posted:

On the other hand, if David Miliband had won the leadership contest in 2010 then he'd almost certainly be PM right now.

If my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

CoolCab posted:

it's an interesting question that's sort of at the heart of this whole contest: is party loyalty in the abstract a virtue? is it virtuous to have stuck by the party while it did unethical things? perhaps more accurately while it did things contrary to your stated ideals? is it better to be loyal to your party or loyal to your ideas?

and there's probably no real answer to the question, because a successful party needs both idealists and company men (well, people)

It's like football, once you've picked a team you can't switch or you never were a real fan.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

TomViolence posted:

Smith's left wing platform is entirely bullshit and is at best an attempt to poach votes off Corbyn. I was being charitable perhaps in thinking that folks advocating his position were trolling, because you'd have to be thick to earnestly argue that he's doing anything else.

His strategy is to be like the other side but more moderate. Surely a winning strategy, just like it was in the last election.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

This is really bad Kermode because he starts from the position that Bay is an idiot and can't see what's right in front of his face as a result.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Oh dear me posted:

That's hilarious. Does he really not understand how they've shafted themselves?

Hilarious, they all quit but want to force their way back in. Turns out that quitting the shadow cabinet limits your influence on policy, fancy that.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

A competent leader would have had all his enemies murdered on taking office. Reflects badly on Corbyn that he didn't.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Mr Dog posted:

That entire conversation is the most goddamn stupid poo poo.

If a self-driving car detects an unexpected moving obstacle (whether or not it is human isn't terribly relevant, a deer will gently caress your car up far worse than a human will) in the road then it should slam on the brakes, end of discussion. Possibly swerve if there's room but even that is a risky decision.

What if there's another car behind with not enough time to react? What if it's too close to brake for and you're in a concrete underpass?

If a pedestrian is standing by the side of the road is there a chance they will walk out? Do you excise caution and if so how much? What if you've made eye contact so you know they're aware of your car? What if they're walking along the pavement playing Pokemon? If they're stood still with their back to the road? You know all of this instinctually but a computer has to be told explicitly. Self-driving cars are an idiot's fantasy, the binary algorithm necessary to cover every base is impossibly complex and only approximate a human decision process - no surprise that all existing autonomous cars are overly safe to the point of causing accidents by behaving more cautiously than any human would. For every 'what if' you can think of there are a dozen that you can't.

And there's no way will I ever get one when I know they're programmed by people like me and my peers.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Praseodymi posted:

Owen Smith trying to steal Corbyn's "Get everyone round the table" stuff...

...with ISIS.

He really is bloody useless, that the best two candidates the PLP could find to challenge Corbyn were Smith and Eagle speaks volumes as to why they're losing control of the party.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Very bad for Corbyn. Don't see how he can come back from this.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Play the new DOOM, it's fantastic.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

It's the Karl Roge thing of attacking somebody else on grounds that you're weak on - one thing Corbyn has over virtually any other candidate or opponent is his perceived authenticity so better try and pretend he's no different than any other politician on that. Don't know everyone was so ready to swallow it.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Alchenar posted:

So the thing is that if Corbyn's media team just went and said 'yes it was a photo op to demonstrate the problem of overcrowding and make a point, it just so happened we were able to get a seat afterwards' then there'd be a bit of grumbling from the right wing press but ultimately everyone would agree that trains are overcrowded and it was a fair point. Instead they've been throwing out a series of ridiculous excuses one after the other.

And by that you mean the actual excuse of there actually were no seats.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

deletebeepbeepbeep posted:

£100 return to York, that's 2 yearly subscriptions!

Well plus those cost of paying the journalist plus somebody in the office who is updating the live feed.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Fans posted:

Saving Labour have posted how they expect Owen Smith to win.

https://twitter.com/georgeeaton/status/768458503694454784

The plan? 62% of Registered Supporters and 60% of the Unions vote for Smith, giving him a victory margin of 4000 votes.

These are the electoral geniuses who claim they know how the 2020 election is going to go already, so let's see how their predictive powers are for an election only a month away. I don't think they're going to do well.

Lmao yes 75,000 non-members paid £25 to vote for Owen Smith, he just enthuses people that much

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

When you buy bottles they're almost always 500ml anyway.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

serious gaylord posted:

It's interesting that you will question a photos/videos veracity if it disagrees with your opinion but anything that supports your stance is accepted without issue.

Please note I am not disagreeing with you. That train may indeed have been full, but if the photo was taken when everyone was getting off, it would look a lot worse. Tintower is right to question the timing of it.

It's a picture some bloke put on Twitter as a gag about the whole ridiculous kerfuffle, I don't know as it really warrants this kind of investigation TBH.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Prove to me that trains get full. I don't accept that picture as proof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Tesseraction posted:

Asked him on Twitter, seems he flipped to Labour despite writing for Liberal Conspiracy. Oh well.

Bloody entryists

• Locked thread