Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Goodbye, three-year relationship. Jesus christ I wanted you to work out so, so loving badly. It was close, but not close enough. Lord knows we both tried, but better now that in 8 years/a kid. I have been the king of red-flag ignoring in all of my prior relationships, and I couldn't let myself do it again despite how desperately I wanted to. She was a great girl, I wish her only the best.

loving hell, man. Tide, what you got going on this weekend ;-*

edit: What a fantastic page snipe, thank you for that much needed laugh cosmic post Gods

A bit late, but;

E: oh for fucks sake not again it's been so long

That all sounds lovely, Sigma X. It's shittiness all the way down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

literally a fish posted:

A bit late, but;

Hah, you nailed that one - she adored owls and often referred to us as such. Guess I was a horse all along :smith:

Thanks for the thoughts. I'm riding that good old rollercoaster: first half of today was abject despair and regret, fading into resolve and a huge feeling of relief and freedom. Going back now through memories and my infrequent, halfassed ranting diary/word doc I am finally able to really see how far back I started feeling the thing was wrong. It had promise and I'm glad I tried as hard as I did but maybe I should have tapped out earlier.

Thinking I might finally rip into the E46 and tackle the overdue God Damned Cooling System with my newfound time and spare cash (why was I the one who bought 95% of the groceries anyway???) :getin:

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

InitialDave posted:

"I Beat my girlfriend to teach her a lesson"

Exactly! Wait no.. :ohdear:

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

I'd say I have a problem but I was just getting this one for someone else. Not for me...

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

It's so much fun to get my little 60hp hatchback back now my wife has a working car again, the multipla was comfortable and torquey but this little thing is just so nimble and drifts so casually through roundabouts.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I get to work 2 blocks from my house the rest if the week. It'll make the Thursday overnight shift a little better since I can wake up 10 minutes before I start.

Also I think I have been grinding my teeth or something at night lately. This is the 2nd day in a row I've woken up with like a sore jaw/molars but it has been on opposite sides each day.

Super Aggro Crag fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Aug 31, 2016

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Sigma X posted:

About a year ago, my girlfriend (who is in her mid-30s) got her first job in a big-time corporate environment...
Sounds like a pretty stupid company if they didn't bother to send a follow up email or maybe make a phone call before setting up a meeting to discuss a missed reply. I get busy and forget to respond to emails once and a while but a follow up email or something takes care of it. My girlfriend works for one of the branches of the military and keeps getting more duties assigned to her after her latest promotion. It's stressing her the gently caress out and her boss doesn't seem to give a poo poo because he doesn't like women in the military, especially in management. She loved the promotion initially but I can tell she's really starting to regret taking it now. She's looking at other options but it would be hard for her to walk away from the perks/benefits even if she made a bit more working private sector.

zundfolge posted:

It sounds like your girlfriend could have handled the situation better but it sounds like her manager is really bad at her job. I don't know what line of work they're in, but anyone who's spent any time in a corporate setting should know not to send emails that need an immediate response at the end of the day on Friday. If it was that important, her manager should have called her. She also could (should?) have followed up with her in a one-on-one setting before involving her entire chain of command. The company I work for is as Big Corporate as it gets and it would have to be a matter of life and death for the three levels of management above me to call a meeting about an email I took too long to respond to. Under those circumstances I wouldn't blame her for feeling defensive, I'm sure most people would.
Pretty much this, the escalation was bullshit and unnecessary

Mole I've had on my ear all my life started itching Friday on the drive to the festival. Now it's all swollen up and painful, time to get it dug out :argh:

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Ether Frenzy posted:

Don't worry buddy, I heard your actual complaint the first time and it isn't about your GF's boss. I'm with you on this, it's a tough one to be diplomatic with, fist bump for solidarity, etc. Pray she doesn't learn the word mansplaining.

:fist bump:

NitroSpazzz posted:

Sounds like a pretty stupid company if they didn't bother to send a follow up email or maybe make a phone call before setting up a meeting to discuss a missed reply. I get busy and forget to respond to emails once and a while but a follow up email or something takes care of it. ...
Critical information that was left out, the e-mail sent to my gf on Friday was already a follow-up to remind her she was late submitting the new pseudo-timecard her new manager came up with. So, yeah, it was already a follow-up. And she didn't forget about it, she just straight refused to answer it because it made her angry.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Mole I've had on my ear all my life started itching Friday on the drive to the festival. Now it's all swollen up and painful, time to get it dug out :argh:
Uhhhh isn't that a sign it may have turned cancerous?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cakefool posted:

It's so much fun to get my little 60hp hatchback back
Reminds me, I went out in the Cappo the other day... And met another one coming in the opposite direction :psyduck:.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Sigma X posted:

Critical information that was left out, the e-mail sent to my gf on Friday was already a follow-up to remind her she was late submitting the new pseudo-timecard her new manager came up with. So, yeah, it was already a follow-up. And she didn't forget about it, she just straight refused to answer it because it made her angry.

Manager should have come and talked to her, e-mail isn't the only form of communication in the world. And failure to turn in a time-card, or even respond to an email isn't a "Get the next 3 levels of management involved immediately" sort of an issue.

I assumed it was some sort of critical client issue because so many levels of management were involved, but seriously? A time-card? That's complete and utter bullshit at that point.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

InitialDave posted:

Reminds me, I went out in the Cappo the other day... And met another one coming in the opposite direction :psyduck:.

I broke down in my mk3 Supra and once I got it running again saw another one the same colour making GBS threads out smoke from the exhaust on the other side of the dual carriageway.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Sigma X posted:

Ah that info changes things a little and the refusal to answer because angry is pretty bad. She'll have to get used to that kind of stuff working corporate, not everyone is friendly and most people are too busy looking out for themselves to worry about offending someone. Still management could have handled that a lot better.

Sigma X posted:

Uhhhh isn't that a sign it may have turned cancerous?
Possibly, that's why I'm sitting on hold to setup an appointment to get it looked at and probably removed. Always nice when the medication for one thing makes you much more susceptible to other possibly worse things. Immunosuppression meds mean I'm a lot more susceptible to various types of cancer :doh:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

NitroSpazzz posted:

Possibly, that's why I'm sitting on hold to setup an appointment to get it looked at and probably removed. Always nice when the medication for one thing makes you much more susceptible to other possibly worse things. Immunosuppression meds mean I'm a lot more susceptible to various types of cancer :doh:

Don't die plz.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Enourmo posted:

Oh good, now my 4-month-old alternator is testing bad, too! 12.3 volts output under load with a known good battery, i watched the third test so I know they're not pulling my leg.

God loving dammit. Manager got Advance to swap my battery out for free, but I'm still on the hook for >$300 since I don't have a place to work on my car anymore.

ugghhhhhhhh
In my experience if you're going through multiple batteries and alternators, it might be time to replace your cables.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

88h88 posted:

Don't die plz.

https://youtu.be/3V_cEBa9-CM?t=6

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Is there a car site out there that publishes more "meaty" articles about wrenching? http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/how-to-finally-get-your-project-car-going-or-at-least-1719785429 for instance was genuinely useful to me when I was figuring out where to start on the Datsun, but it feels like the majority of content on jalopnik is "look at this car phoar" which is fine but not super informative. Jalopnik Garage seems to be largely "look at my new project car, phoar!"

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

InitialDave posted:

They smell weakness and like vultures circle a new source of spare parts.

Soooooo, you bored of it yet? :allears:

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Hopefully it ends up just being an infected ingrown hair or something. I'm always paranoid about my moles and had one on my chest that got all red and angry looking--ended up being a nasty pimple.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

88h88 posted:

Don't die plz.
Thanks, will try not to

Magnus Praeda posted:

Hopefully it ends up just being an infected ingrown hair or something. I'm always paranoid about my moles and had one on my chest that got all red and angry looking--ended up being a nasty pimple.
That's probably all it is. Started itching on the drive to the festival where it probably got full of dirt/dust/sweat/etc and is now irritated or infected.

I'm not too concerned but girlfriend is freaking out and I'd be dumb to not get it looked at. Appointment in two weeks, as long as I don't die before them I'm good

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Awesome. Got home from work last night and heard a weird rattling under the hood...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dk9J0u7ODZU

Already looked to see if anything was stuck between the radiator and fan, can't find anything, also pulled the fan away a bit and it still rattled. Guess I'll pull the fan today to make sure something's broken before I drop $100 on a new one.

e: $76 shipped on Amazon for a complete name brand (aftermarket) assembly. Not bad. Even an OEM one is relatively cheap (for OEM) at <$200. Can't really justify OEM in this case when aftermarket is less than half the price, and will probably outlast the car anyway.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Aug 31, 2016

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
The Smithsonian Air and Space Museum Udvar-Hazy Center would be very upset to discover that I have now touched TWO space shuttles :sun:

Holy crap Nonesuch I knew it would be relevant but :catstare:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
alright i'm trying to buy a used CX-5 today on the last day of the month to get a better deal and the dealership is being...odd. this is mazda dealer in portland.

they won't send a purchase order to my credit union without me looking at the car in person (i'm 200 miles away) but they're willing to let me drive off the lot and have my credit union send them a check after the fact, if I will sign a "back up contract" in case I decide not to pay them.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Gotta love cutting my hands constantly on armored cables and then using 99% rubbing alcohol all day every day.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Looking up cars to buy is way more fun when it is cool cars to own someday and not the cheapest cars I can afford right now that hopefully won't break

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cakefool posted:

Soooooo, you bored of it yet? :allears:
Nope, but the speedo's being a dick again, seems terminally uncooperative this time. Need to investigate, might need to swap in a speed sensor from my spares, but I suspect it may be the wiring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

WELCOME TO THE THREAD OF TOMORROW

• Locked thread