Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I've been going through The Expanse books. They're such a fun romp, although I wished they introduced the macguffin later. The potential politics of +500 years into the solar system is fascinating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Painting the deck since the previous owners used interior latex house paint. It's flaking off like crazy so we pressure washed and chemical washed it. Home Depot makes this stuff called DeckOver and we got the textured stuff. It's like nacho cheese with sand in it, but really expensive. We'll see how it holds up over the next year or so.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

The Locator posted:

I need a bigger house, this is less than half of my constantly increasing collection..

I think you've posted this pic before, are they all Science Fiction novels???

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

My favorite thing about this is it doesn't matter how new/old a house is, if they have a library you'll be greeted to a portal into the 60's courtesy of the shelving units.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

fridge corn posted:

That would be good i think. Short enough to give even the busiest of us a chance to finish it and sure to invite a bit more of an intellectual discourse than some of the other suggestions

That's a little harsh. Why can't we have an intellectual discourse with some of the other suggestions? Not saying Bradbury isn't a goddamn genius (love the dude), but claiming intellectual superiority for any book/genre of book over others is just loving elitist. Don't poo poo on people who read, regardless of what they read.

My book suggestion, for both being a great read and a book to help you improve yourself (and I think Adiabatic would love it):

An Astronaut's Guide to Life on Earth, by Canada's own Chris Hadfield. Read it while on vacation after having bought it last fall. Incredible read. Long-ish, but a fairly easy read, and its not hard to put down/pick up as necessary. Maybe not for this month, but the next month or two after.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

fridge corn posted:

I think you've posted this pic before, are they all Science Fiction novels???

Might have posted it a while back, I assembled it a few years ago. It's a mixture of Science Fiction, Fantasy, Fiction (think Dan Brown, Tom Clancy (old stuff), etc.) with a little bit of non-fiction/reference thrown in here and there. That largish set of dark grey books taking up half a shelf on the right is the old 'Epic of Flight' series from Time-Life.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Anyone have recommendations for audio books? I have a bunch of credits at audible to burn.

I listened to American Gods but I found it enjoyable. I also listened to the expanded version, don't know if that makes a difference.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

mariooncrack posted:

Anyone have recommendations for audio books? I have a bunch of credits at audible to burn.

I listened to American Gods but I found it enjoyable. I also listened to the expanded version, don't know if that makes a difference.

Neuromancer was a pretty good Audiobook. I used to listen to them back when I had a commute.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

mariooncrack posted:

I'm going to be a boring science student and recommend Carl Sagan's 'Pale Blue Dot' audiobook.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Found a shop run by a bunch of car nerds like us. I'm getting lazy and really don't feel like doing tie rods on the Corolla in the 95° Florida heat, so I'm forking over $160 bones to have them do it. I think it's worth it.

It's really nice to have a place I can trust again, half the reason I got into working on my own stuff was because I didn't have anyone trustworthy (the other half being that I was poor as hell :v: )

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Aug 1, 2016

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Siochain posted:

That's a little harsh. Why can't we have an intellectual discourse with some of the other suggestions? Not saying Bradbury isn't a goddamn genius (love the dude), but claiming intellectual superiority for any book/genre of book over others is just loving elitist. Don't poo poo on people who read, regardless of what they read.

Im not being elitist. I don't have a problem with people reading genre novels (sci-fi, fantasy, alt history, crime or whatever) as a form of low brow entertainment, but when people read these kinds of books exclusively and refuse to attempt anything remotely challenging that I have to smh.

The problem I have with genre novels is they are most often Badly Written and rely heavily on a gimmicky premise. They offer nothing in the way of cultural, emotional, or intellectual (on a personal level) significance. Show me a Sci-fi or fantasy book which does and I'll happily call it Literature, but you're kidding yourself if you think sitting around discussing what the political landscape of a fully colonised solar system in 500 years time will look like is intellectually meaningful

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CommieGIR posted:

Also: If you haven't, go read Frank Herbert's Dune

If you do this, absolutely do not read past the third book.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
I am 23 days from turning 27 :gonk:

How did this happen to me

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
You get rid of one corn and two come back. :psyduck:

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

ahhh, there's the old Corn we all know and love.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Nodoze posted:

Your parents did it while listening to Bad Medicine by Bon Jovi.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

True, it got pretty bad past that.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

fridge corn posted:

Im not being elitist. I don't have a problem with people reading genre novels (sci-fi, fantasy, alt history, crime or whatever) as a form of low brow entertainment, but when people read these kinds of books exclusively and refuse to attempt anything remotely challenging that I have to smh.

The problem I have with genre novels is they are most often Badly Written and rely heavily on a gimmicky premise. They offer nothing in the way of cultural, emotional, or intellectual (on a personal level) significance. Show me a Sci-fi or fantasy book which does and I'll happily call it Literature, but you're kidding yourself if you think sitting around discussing what the political landscape of a fully colonised solar system in 500 years time will look like is intellectually meaningful

Here are a few choices that you might call "real literature" you ridiculous twat.

Each and every one of those is, by the estimation of the literary world, well written. They use the freedoms allowed by speculative fiction to address issues of cultural, emotional, and intellectual significance. That discussion of possibilities is exactly what makes them intellectually meaningful. Literature has always used the possible--whether as a threat of what might happen or as a promise of what could happen--to elicit a response from its readership.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
The Bourne Identity was an excellent read if you are looking for something more action-y.

Much like Dune, don't read any of the books not actually written by Robert Ludlum.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Magnus Praeda posted:

Here are a few choices that you might call "real literature" you ridiculous twat.

Each and every one of those is, by the estimation of the literary world, well written. They use the freedoms allowed by speculative fiction to address issues of cultural, emotional, and intellectual significance. That discussion of possibilities is exactly what makes them intellectually meaningful. Literature has always used the possible--whether as a threat of what might happen or as a promise of what could happen--to elicit a response from its readership.

Hey. Just don't reply to corn. He's trolling and will gently caress off out of the thread if nobody gives him the attention he craves.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Magnus Praeda posted:

Yes, this is a very good post and thank you for making it as it brings me closer to the point I'm in the middle of making. You've provided a list of some very good books (most of which I've read, incidentally) that use elements of science fiction or fantasy - speculative fiction as you've rightly pointed out - as a literary device. The fact of the matter is that Science Fiction and Fantasy and the like aren't real genres; they're marketing terms. Do you like swords and dragons and wizards? Try this "Fantasy" book. Spaceships and lasers? Have this "Science Fiction" book. Want to read something a bit more profound, something that might forever alter your perceptions on what it all means? Read some real loving "Literature"

All the books ive suggested so far have more in common with those on the list you've provided than what some others have been coming up with

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Corn has a point about the difference of using a scenario as a literary device instead of "it's a candy actionpolitical book with a science fiction coating" instead of "this book uses a science fiction/fantasy concept to relay a philosophical point/statement of the human condition".

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Candy Corn

:haw:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The best books are the ones they turn into movies so I don't have to do any of that gay reading poo poo.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

The best books are the ones they turn into movies so I don't have to do any of that gay reading poo poo.

The Dune miniseries was better than the movie.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

True, it got pretty bad past that.
Likewise with Ender's Game. First book is good. Second book is okay, but it goes downhill fast after that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CommieGIR posted:

The Dune miniseries was better than the movie.

I drew pictures on the wall of the asylum with my poop that told a better story than the Lynch film.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

I drew pictures on the wall of the asylum with my poop that told a better story than the Lynch film.

But did you poo poo out Sting?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Nodoze posted:

I'm fewer days from 38. Shaddup. :v:

CommieGIR posted:

Where's my introduction STR? :argh:

Right here *unzips*

I thought I had put your thread in the OP. :doh: I'll edit it after work.

scuz posted:

Painting the deck since the previous owners used interior latex house paint.

I discovered my apartment is all latex when I tried to use one of those 3M Command adhesive strips. Took the paint right off. :downs:

That's gonna be real fun when I remove my alarm whenever I move again. I used tiny drops of hot glue to attach the wires to the front door sensor to the baseboard.

Alarbus posted:

Oh hey. STR, I drove through your town last month. We were trying to get to Kansas for a wedding, and a storm cancelled our flight from DFW to ICT. And all of the flights were booked until well after the wedding, so we rented a car and flogged it. Denton seemed nice for the 10 minutes we were in it?

I thought I didn't like the new Corolla that much, but when we turned it in at ICT for the local rental, I got a Cruze, and liked that even less. Horrible ergonomics.

I haven't lived in Denton in a few years. :sigh: Currently in south Garland, basically off of I-30 and the eastern end of the Bush turnpike (if you look at a map of I-30, I'm a mile west of Lake Ray Hubbard). I miss Denton a lot, but it's too far from work. There's not really much in Denton unless you like live music and arts though, it's very much a college town (2 public universities there).

I liked the Cruze rental I had, but then again I drive a Saturn, so my judgement is questionable. :v: The ergonomics did seem bad, but it was a peppy car.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Rhyno posted:

I'd be a bit leery of the second and third as well. First, undoubted masterpiece. This is how bad book six got - Kevin J Andrews is an improvement in his loving prequels. I just finished House Atreides and while it's fairly dire, it's nowhere near as bad as the poo poo Herbert was making GBS threads out at the end.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I have the next 3 days off. I also got new speakers in along with an amp wiring kit. So excited. And I had a conversation that was very good for my future. Around the begining of june, my district manager came to me and asked how I'd like to have the open assisstant manager position at my store. I said I was interested, but would need to talk to our old assisstant who is still at our store after willingly taking a demotion during an incident with our previous commercial sales guy and our store manager who was on vacation. Around the begining of july, everything had calmed down and I had a chance to talk to my store manager and she liked the idea for a number of reasons. However she wanted to talk to the previous asst manager to make sure there would be no hard feelings if I was promoted. Well, a week ago while working the slow sunday shift, the previous asst brought up that her old position was open and she thought I would be able to get the position if I asked for it. I admitted that our dm had already asked me about it and I had spoken to the store manager about the position being open, but had wanted to talk to her myself before I would actually consider accepting the position. Our previous asst said I had her full support and she even gave me a hug. In a little over a year I've gone from driving to possibly taking asst manager in an area with a bunch of stores opening for oreillys. The last 7 months or so in particular have been damned good to me and I've been a lucky son of a bitch with how things have played out. I hope the rest of this year keeps on being awesome and all of you have an awesome rest of 2016. :toot:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I'd be a bit leery of the second and third as well. First, undoubted masterpiece. This is how bad book six got - Kevin J Andrews is an improvement in his loving prequels. I just finished House Atreides and while it's fairly dire, it's nowhere near as bad as the poo poo Herbert was making GBS threads out at the end.

I read the first prequel when it was released and it was so terrible I tossed it in a bonfire.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Rhyno posted:

Unironically agree.

Elmnt80 posted:

I have the next 3 days off. I also got new speakers in along with an amp wiring kit. So excited. And I had a conversation that was very good for my future. Around the begining of june, my district manager came to me and asked how I'd like to have the open assisstant manager position at my store. I said I was interested, but would need to talk to our old assisstant who is still at our store after willingly taking a demotion during an incident with our previous commercial sales guy and our store manager who was on vacation. Around the begining of july, everything had calmed down and I had a chance to talk to my store manager and she liked the idea for a number of reasons. However she wanted to talk to the previous asst manager to make sure there would be no hard feelings if I was promoted. Well, a week ago while working the slow sunday shift, the previous asst brought up that her old position was open and she thought I would be able to get the position if I asked for it. I admitted that our dm had already asked me about it and I had spoken to the store manager about the position being open, but had wanted to talk to her myself before I would actually consider accepting the position. Our previous asst said I had her full support and she even gave me a hug. In a little over a year I've gone from driving to possibly taking asst manager in an area with a bunch of stores opening for oreillys. The last 7 months or so in particular have been damned good to me and I've been a lucky son of a bitch with how things have played out. I hope the rest of this year keeps on being awesome and all of you have an awesome rest of 2016. :toot:

Yooooooo. Awesome.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Found a griddle yesterday morning! It was sitting next to a dumpster, on top of a pile of furniture from people moving out. You can see why they thought it was trash:

But I made it better:

(that's more rust than grease on the stovetop, thing was caked after the self-clean cycle. and yes i know the egg's too brown, I jumped the gun after turning the heat down and didn't let it cool down enough.)

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Rhyno posted:

I read the first prequel when it was released and it was so terrible I tossed it in a bonfire.

Oh no doubt, it deserves burning. But compare it to Chapterhouse Dune and it's a goddamn work of art.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Haha, I thought that egg was hashbrowns :buddy: Good find, wayta not let cast iron go to waste.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
At some point I may want to mud and texture my garage; it already has drywall sheets attached of unknown age. Has anyone done this before? Giant pain in the rear end?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

blk posted:

At some point I may want to mud and texture my garage; it already has drywall sheets attached of unknown age. Has anyone done this before? Giant pain in the rear end?
Define "texture." First make sure the drywall that exists isn't in danger of falling down under a stiff breeze, but after that, mudding, sanding, painting is a cinch.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

blk posted:

Don't do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Holy poo poo candied ginger root is no joke.

• Locked thread