Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

fridge corn posted:

Yes, this is a very good post and thank you for making it as it brings me closer to the point I'm in the middle of making. You've provided a list of some very good books (most of which I've read, incidentally) that use elements of science fiction or fantasy - speculative fiction as you've rightly pointed out - as a literary device. The fact of the matter is that Science Fiction and Fantasy and the like aren't real genres; they're marketing terms. Do you like swords and dragons and wizards? Try this "Fantasy" book. Spaceships and lasers? Have this "Science Fiction" book. Want to read something a bit more profound, something that might forever alter your perceptions on what it all means? Read some real loving "Literature"

All the books ive suggested so far have more in common with those on the list you've provided than what some others have been coming up with

Agreed and this reasoning is why I suggested what I suggested. Im all for discovering books about the human condition and I genuinely thank you for pointing them out to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

Hey. Just don't reply to corn. He's trolling and will gently caress off out of the thread if nobody gives him the attention he craves.

Quit trolling our book club, rear end in a top hat

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Adiabatic posted:

Quit trolling our book club, rear end in a top hat

Notice how quickly you turn to namecalling. Examine that. Is that how you want to present yourself?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

If I'm being jovial and facetious about it, absolutely

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I'm sitting here looking at 6' of wall that needs bookshelves and I'll say that Ikea Billy in oak looks like the best option at the moment.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Adiabatic posted:

Agreed and this reasoning is why I suggested what I suggested. Im all for discovering books about the human condition and I genuinely thank you for pointing them out to me

I'm with these two nerds, the point of Book Club is to expand your horizons and while I'm sure every single one of the 41 books in any given Terry Pratchett series are all super fine works of writin', they are also well and comfortably within everyone with eyes' reading wheelhouse so it's good to branch out once in a while.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

AI is an influence on me, I've just been browsing Foresters on AutoTrader.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Cakefool posted:

I'm sitting here looking at 6' of wall that needs bookshelves and I'll say that Ikea Billy in oak looks like the best option at the moment.

Billy is good - the complimentary Gnedby CD/DVD shelves are very sturdy.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Adiabatic posted:

If I'm being jovial and facetious about it, absolutely

Got it. It was sarcasm.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
First time seeing the word "rear end in a top hat" on the internet? Good lord.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

meatpimp, is it that time of the month already?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

88h88 posted:

meatpimp, is it that time of the month already?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07Fncn-DjgM

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Cakefool posted:

AI is an influence on me, I've just been browsing Foresters on AutoTrader.

You know you want one. Or two.

Make it two. And then drop a WRX motor into one.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

You definitely want two. One to lift and one to drop. Off-road and track duty.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

McTinkerson posted:

You definitely want two. One to lift and one to drop. Off-road and track duty.

This man gets it.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Just finished 30 Rock. Started Cheers since one of my roomies has never seen it. I had trouble sleeping as a kid and used to watch Cheers almost every night with my dad when he got home from 3rd shift. Good times.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

fridge corn posted:

I find this strange because the first book I recommended is a comedy, and the second is actually (little f) fantasy.

I looked up 'a grain of wheat' and Wikipedia classes it as an 'historical novel' that deals with the public execution of one of the protagonists.

While it may be a very good piece of literature, and I could read it and appreciate i (I've saved it in my to-read list) you clearly read for different reasons than some of us do.

You don't have to always read to expand your understanding of the world and encourage discourse and thinking - it is also possible to read just for entertainment and enjoyment and to escape the often lovely reality of the world. I often read a lot as an alternative to thinking. This isn't wrong, just different to what you want to do.

I am not dissing your choice of book, just saying that I (and seemingly some others) might prefer a lighter option too. Perhaps we should have 2 books of the month each month to cover both the serious and the casual options.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
I just wanted to give people the option of a BotM that more than 4 of us might actually read since this is a car forum not a college literature class and we are perhaps not all interested in books for books' sake, but for entertainment and escapism and other things

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

literally a fish posted:

I just wanted to give people the option of a BotM that more than 4 of us might actually read since this is a car forum not a college literature class and we are perhaps not all interested in books for books' sake, but for entertainment and escapism and other things

We are not only men of automotive insanity, but men of intellectual taste :viggo:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
At least you lot can read. Other car forums, I honestly have no goddamn idea how anyone can be on the Internet and be that illiterate

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

At least you lot can read. Other car forums, I honestly have no goddamn idea how anyone can be on the Internet and be that illiterate

Usually on VWVortex *shudders* and Audi sites it turns into

'lol y r u not stancing? U r a lozer'

And then I cry.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Hell, let's all just read Lee Iacocca's autobiography from way back when, that's AI enough for everyone, right?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

literally a fish posted:

I was going for the theme that he went with when he suggested the first book. Did anyone else read that one or are y'all suggesting for suggestion's sake?

Part of book club is reading the books, yo.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

meatpimp posted:

Got it. It was sarcasm.

It was meant to be a lighthearted jab, but that sometimes doesn't translate through posting very well. I apologize if it rubbed you the wrong way. Chalk it up to Hanlon's Razor?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

RIP R9 290x, November 2013-august 2016. Here lies the last AMD card i'll ever buy.

Hopefully the 1080ti hits soon.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Collateral Damage posted:

Likewise with Ender's Game. First book is good. Second book is okay, but it goes downhill fast after that.

First book is only good if you read it in the right age window. Re-read it as an adult, and Card's crazy politics and religion shine through pretty badly.

On the subject of sf/fantasy that's actually literature, I recently finished Ann Leckie's Ancillary series, and can recommend it. It takes a bunch of fairly standard mil-sf themes and then runs off in a completely different direction with them, and plays some fun games with reader perception based on textual cues by being written from the perspective of a character from a culture whose language genders everything as female.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Aug 2, 2016

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I'm reading the Count of Monte Cristo right now and it is amazingly fun.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I'm reading Nikki Sixx's The Heroin Diaries: A Year in the Life of a Shattered Rock Star

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...
I'm reading a Robert Ruark novel and it sucks

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
I'm reading this post I'm writing right now

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I derailed the Post Your Ride thread and it's been sticking in my head all day.

I live in an exceptionally nice apartment. I have two nice cars, a large toolbox full of tools, decent cloths, a large tv and tons of dumb nerd poo poo. Like, we filled a box truck when we moved a year and a half ago. And I'm sitting here sort of longing for the days when I drove a cheap Cherokee and lived in a basement studio and owned next to nothing because drat those days were simpler.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Rhyno posted:

I derailed the Post Your Ride thread and it's been sticking in my head all day.

I live in an exceptionally nice apartment. I have two nice cars, a large toolbox full of tools, decent cloths, a large tv and tons of dumb nerd poo poo. Like, we filled a box truck when we moved a year and a half ago. And I'm sitting here sort of longing for the days when I drove a cheap Cherokee and lived in a basement studio and owned next to nothing because drat those days were simpler.

There is something incredibly freeing about knowing you can put everything of value you own in the back of your shitbox car and take off cross-country on 24 hours' notice if you want. I miss it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Liquid Communism posted:

There is something incredibly freeing about knowing you can put everything of value you own in the back of your shitbox car and take off cross-country on 24 hours' notice if you want. I miss it.

If not for my girlfriend I'd probably still be living that live. Or not giving a gently caress and crashing at my mom's place to avoid paying rent. The amount of stupid poo poo I own is nuts and I am pretty tempted to purge again but I'm worried that I'm too materialistic to do it.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Rhyno posted:

If not for my girlfriend I'd probably still be living that live. Or not giving a gently caress and crashing at my mom's place to avoid paying rent. The amount of stupid poo poo I own is nuts and I am pretty tempted to purge again but I'm worried that I'm too materialistic to do it.

I lived in a single bedroom in a four bedroom house for the last few years. Helping a buddy and his wife out, and getting cheap rent out of the deal. Now that I'm in a place of my own, I realize I have nowhere near enough poo poo to actually fill out a 1 bedroom apartment. If it wasn't for my student loans, I'd be shopping jobs all over the country and spending ~18 months in different states for a few years, but I need more financial cushion to support that.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Rhyno posted:

If you own a keurig, burn your house down, because between your derail in the other thread and your dragging it into this one to mention your "exceptionally nice apartment", you've basically become three olives.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Liquid Communism posted:

First book is only good if you read it in the right age window. Re-read it as an adult, and Card's crazy politics and religion shine through pretty badly.
Oh definitely. I did read it as an adult, but I knew of the Card Crazy so I could tune that out while reading.

On actual good reads, I still need to sit down and start reading the next laundry files book, The Nightmare Stacks.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I get that people itt enjoy genre fiction. That was made abundantly clear to me months back when I mentioned having just read Dune and I was bombarded with recommendations of suspect sci-fi titles by "love 'em or hate 'em" (i.e. Bad) authors. I get that people want to be entertained and its perfectly fine for the AI Book Club to accommodate discussion of these works. I am not well versed in these works so it makes little sense for me to try and recommend titles in their vein nor does it behove me to "dumb down" my suggestions as it does disservice to my secondary purpose:

I initially started AI Book Club in order to answer meatpimp's question of what books do I read. The titles that I recommend are books that I've read recently (as in the previous month or so) which I found both enjoyable and intellectually fulfilling. I had hoped that others would read and begin discussions of the topic which i could participate, as they would still be fresh in my mind.

I apologise for the rediculousness of my language. I think the book i am currently reading, the prose of which being of a similar type, is beginning to affect my mind!!!

Tomarse posted:

I looked up 'a grain of wheat' and Wikipedia classes it as an 'historical novel' that deals with the public execution of one of the protagonists.

While it may be a very good piece of literature, and I could read it and appreciate i (I've saved it in my to-read list) you clearly read for different reasons than some of us do.

You don't have to always read to expand your understanding of the world and encourage discourse and thinking - it is also possible to read just for entertainment and enjoyment and to escape the often lovely reality of the world. I often read a lot as an alternative to thinking. This isn't wrong, just different to what you want to do.

I am not dissing your choice of book, just saying that I (and seemingly some others) might prefer a lighter option too. Perhaps we should have 2 books of the month each month to cover both the serious and the casual options.

Of refering specifically to A Grain of Wheat, then yes, it is a bit heavier than my previous selections, but i had in mind this month of two possible titles and i decided to go with the lighter one!!

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
What's that garage floor planning software that people always use?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Just realized I ordered 6.75" speakers instead of 6.5" speakers. Here is to hoping they drop in without major modifications, or at least more than a gentle massaging with a dremel. They aren't any deeper, so at least I don't need to worry about that. How the gently caress am I so bad at something I do at work 40 hours a week when it comes to my own vehicles? :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Book chat: There is no intellectual high ground in reading esoteric "literary" pieces. I did a Masters in English and some PhD work, but the deeper in I got, the more I found that there is a point where "literary criticism" and "study" turns into a huge circle jerk. A lot of the pre-1700 "literature" is not considered such because it is good, but because it exists. As the access to print expanded, more and more crap began to pour out. The crap flow has never ceased.

I did a 15+ page literary analysis in a semester-long, graded, University-sanctioned class. The topic? The conceit inherent in Ice Cube's "Three Strikes You In," from his masterpiece "War & Peace Vol. 1 (The War Disc)." Partially just to show the same techniques in literary criticism can apply unfiltered to anything, including modern rap. Partially to show that I'm down with the plight of the black man in a post-Clinton society.

So read what you want. If you read for intellectual stimulation about the human condition, awesome! If you read for pure escapism, awesome! If you read because you have to, well, do that, because you have to!

• Locked thread