Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Text from stepdad: "call me asap kon 11038 three times blood pressure 110/38 call asap"

Me: holy gently caress

He calls as I'm tearing out of my apartment complex. He said that's my mother's blood pressure, I'm asking why he hasn't called 911 and that I'm already on my way, hang up and call 911 you dumb gently caress

Stepdad: "what does the flashing battery thing on the display of the BP machine mean?"

Me: *hurls every loving insult known to man*

They throw new batteries in it... and get a much more normal reading.

loving christ on a stick, that shook me up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Anyone work at or know someone who works at a Honda dealer?

I'd like to get a radio code but the car it came out of a decade+ ago is now a toaster oven at Walmart.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

spog posted:

I still can't get over the whole coming home from a day at the office, looking forward to a quiet evening in front of the TV and *bam!* - instant fatherhood!

First legit LOL I've had in a long time :toot:

Tide fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Aug 3, 2016

blk
Dec 19, 2009

meatpimp posted:

In non-baby news, last week Amazon had Samsung 250gb SSDs listed for $29. It had to be a price mistake, since the seller was Sur La Table and it was an older drive. I bought 2, just to see what happened. The deal was over within a few minutes. But I checked later and it was available to purchase again, so I said "what the hell" and ordered 9 more.

So, I paid just over $300 for 11 SSDs... but then shipping showed a package weight of more than 17 pounds in total. I checked with them and they said:

They all showed up today. :wtf: am I going to do with 11 bottles of high-end balsamic vinegar? :laugh:

I'll take some off your hands if you're interested - good balsamic is one of my most favoritist things ever

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

some texas redneck posted:

Text from stepdad: "call me asap kon 11038 three times blood pressure 110/38 call asap"

Me: holy gently caress

He calls as I'm tearing out of my apartment complex. He said that's my mother's blood pressure, I'm asking why he hasn't called 911 and that I'm already on my way, hang up and call 911 you dumb gently caress

Stepdad: "what does the flashing battery thing on the display of the BP machine mean?"

Me: *hurls every loving insult known to man*

They throw new batteries in it... and get a much more normal reading.

loving christ on a stick, that shook me up.

Jesus, what a fucker. Glad she's ok, man.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
My Summer Car is on Steam Greenlight:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=651939391

It's basically Finnish AI: With Permadeath.

Have this video from the developer, who obviously learned to speak English from rally videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0IZ_TEzg7M

Use the correct size wrench for fasteners! Use beer to get your car out of a ditch! Rebuild engines!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

In about 15 hours I'm supposed to have lunch with literally a fish. I'll let you guys know if he lives up to his username.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Jesus, what a fucker. Glad she's ok, man.

:glomp:

His twig and berries will be curbstomped to dust, then force fed to him, next time I see him for putting me through that. All because the fucker's been ignoring the flashing low battery icon for weeks.

I feel like total poo poo since the adrenaline wore off. Too worn out to do anything, too angry to sleep. Mostly angry.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

:glomp:

His twig and berries will be curbstomped to dust, then force fed to him, next time I see him for putting me through that. All because the fucker's been ignoring the flashing low battery icon for weeks.

I feel like total poo poo since the adrenaline wore off. Too worn out to do anything, too angry to sleep. Mostly angry.

Adrenaline's fucky like that. Totally crashed out but still wired. For me, my brain keeps racing and recalling whatever event it was that set it off so I can't relax.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

In about 15 hours I'm supposed to have lunch with literally a fish. I'll let you guys know if he lives up to his username.

I'd prefer lunch with literally a bird. :v:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

The Locator posted:

I'd prefer lunch with literally a bird. :v:

STR doesn't swing that way, though.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Eh, get me drunk enough and my bi streak comes out a bit.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I'm applying for a job at a company that makes some interesting threat analysis software that tries to predict terrorist activity, etc. One of the things they need help with is butching up the UI because a lot of their clients are ex-cops who want to feel like the star of 24 when they're using a computer. I started working on a couple ideas for them and realized I'm basically making the UI for Command & Conquer. Found the appropriate music to work to for self reinforcement: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2MZzIhjlpY

The soundtrack to that game was so goooooooood.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Needs more hell march.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Elmnt80 posted:

Needs more hell march.

Everything does!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HUWUtTZvK4

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

CommieGIR posted:

Only 4% of cars sold last year had manuals :smith:
I occasionally wander around car dealerships to kill time on weekends between appointments or waiting for people and I'm actually surprised it's that high. It's pretty rare to see more than a couple cars on the lot with a manual. Still need to get the girlfriend out and teach her to drive a manual.

Sigma X posted:

I don't even OWN an E92 M3 but I already know what nits I've got to pick with it (having owned an M Coupe). #1 is, other BMW owners. #2 is, everything for a BMW is >3x as expensive as for a "normal" consumer sports car like a Mustang or Camaro.
Don't forget M tax. E92 M3 would be a great daily driver as would pretty much every other generation of the M3 other than the E30.

Powershift posted:

The good news is, quite soon, cummins is going to start selling the fix for both the RX8 and the FRS/BRZ as a crate engine.

Can the RX-8 6 speed handle 385ft/lbs?
475lb...that's it? :drat:

MustardFacial posted:

[edit] when I say "I'm going to gently caress up this next RX-7" I mean this:

Please go gently caress up an RX-7 asap. Wonder how bad that would twist a first gen if the tires ever hooked up...brother has his with the engine out sitting at my parents under a tarp.

BRZ/FRS - I was underwhelmed when I drove one on the street. I was impressed when I drove a track prepped one at the track. Fun at the edge or driven in anger but fairly boring otherwise...a lot like a Miata IMO

So what would AI do? There's two swap packages available about the same 3.5 hours from me. One from a 2005 with 101k miles for ~$3k and one from a 2002 with 13k miles for $4k. Worth the extra for a super low miles package to toss in a race car? I may be able to get him to come down on price a bit and that's just an estimate for the 101k one but I may have to go help pull the high mileage one. Both run, have good compression/leakdown numbers and will include the same stuff.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

spog posted:

I still can't get over the whole coming home from a day at the office, looking forward to a quiet evening in front of the TV and *bam!* - instant fatherhood!

I can't get over being the new mom in this situation. Just going about your day when suddenly it becomes apparent that not only are you pregnant, but you're giving birth RIGHT NOW.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Immaculate conception. Jesus2 is here.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

blk posted:

I'm applying for a job at a company that makes some interesting threat analysis software that tries to predict terrorist activity, etc. One of the things they need help with is butching up the UI because a lot of their clients are ex-cops who want to feel like the star of 24 when they're using a computer. I started working on a couple ideas for them and realized I'm basically making the UI for Command & Conquer. Found the appropriate music to work to for self reinforcement: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2MZzIhjlpY

The soundtrack to that game was so goooooooood.

I sort of want that job.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

SCA Enthusiast posted:

I can't get over being the new mom in this situation. Just going about your day when suddenly it becomes apparent that not only are you pregnant, but you're giving birth RIGHT NOW.

I was talking to my wife about that last night. She said the same thing about the babies moving around a lot -- "don't you remember the computer moving back and forth when I had it resting on my belly?" Yep, I remember it, seems awfully weird to have that inside you and not notice it.

Thought pattern as I'm pulling into my area: "Hey, that's a nice new SL. Man, those things have gotten low and wide. 'OSU 1' license plate? Oh yeah, that's two-time Heisman Trophy winner Archie Griffin." He lives in the area an it's always cool to see him. Usually he's out walking on the path, but he's got nice rides, too.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Maksimus54 posted:

I know I'm not some poster anyone knows, but I just had the biggest life changing 12 hours of my life and I have to share somewhere. My fiance just had a baby at home at 5:15 august 1st. We did not know she was pregnant. She delivered it herself. The house looks like a scene from the Walking Dead. I'm a dad and I have had no notice and holy poo poo guys we don't even have a name picked out jesus christ

Well, congrats and try not to be too overwhelmed, hopefully you have a good support structure going for you. The same thing essentially happened to my cousin and his then girlfriend/now wife. I'd wager to bet your fiance has weird cycling issues, that time of the month though I imagine birthing a baby on a motorcycle would be entertaining, and is fairly normal for her to go months without a period?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I sort of want that job.

CSI makes me physically ill.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

NitroSpazzz posted:

BRZ/FRS - I was underwhelmed when I drove one on the street. I was impressed when I drove a track prepped one at the track. Fun at the edge or driven in anger but fairly boring otherwise...a lot like a Miata IMO

As a proud Miata owner I feel I have to step in and disagree. :colbert: The BRZ/FRS is probably a lot more comfortable and convenient :smithicide:

I think the BRZ/FRS makes a lot of sense for the Japanese market than the American market. There's really nowhere to go fast in a straight line over here so power is almost an afterthought now that manufacturers don't have to think about homologation. If you actually want to have some fun out here the only option is to go out to the sticks, find a twisty road and enjoy the lateral Gs.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
Baby check in: She cries a lot. I think she might be cholic. I don't get any sleep.

Car check in: I've been thinking about the RX-7 thing for a long time, I don't know what it is but I find the idea of a Japanese Hot Rod very appealing. Even though, under most circumstances I prefer tiny engines and good handling. But then again I have severe automotive ADD, so when I think of "my next DD" it always bounces between an LS swapped RX-7, somehow finding a way to import a Dolomite Sprint into Canada, a Datsun 280Z, some sort of Hakosuka replica, spend a decent amount of money on a good van to transport the kart around in and use as a DD or a Suzuki DL650.

[edit] While it's all well and good to have hopes and dreams I doubt any of this will ever happen and I'll find some way to spend the money on more "sensible" things instead of on myself. I'll probably drive this shitbox Cobalt into the ground.

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Aug 3, 2016

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
Go for the Dollie so I can live vicariously through you.

BL 4 lyfe :swoon:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

MustardFacial posted:

Baby check in: She cries a lot. I think she might be cholic. I don't get any sleep.

Are you breastfeeding or formula? Do both, if possible. And welcome to fatherhood, it gets better (and more expensive)

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

1500quidporsche posted:

Go for the Dollie so I can live vicariously through you.

BL 4 lyfe :swoon:

:hfive:

I have both my brother in law and my father in law (who live in England) keeping an eye out for a good one. I tried asking my cousins who live closer to London, but asking traditional Indians to look for a car for you is akin to asking "what colour Mercedes diesel do you want?"

CommieGIR posted:

Are you breastfeeding or formula? Do both, if possible. And welcome to fatherhood, it gets better (and more expensive)

It's both. Before the kid was born I signed up for those free sample things from all of the formula companies with every address I could get my hands on, so now I have 14 cans of free formula.

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Aug 3, 2016

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Watch out for switching back and forth between formula brands, it upsets a lot if kids badly. Also check the dates on those tins, they don't last a long time.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
Yeah, we already went through that with the liquid stuff. The only one she didn't like was Enfamil so we chucked the rest of that away. But she'll suck back Good Start and Similac like it's last call and she doesn't seem to care if we switch between them.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Cool, finding something they like is half the battle. We had to get a thickening agent on prescription because our lad was burping up most of his food, when that settled it was easy.

Discussed a Forester with my wife, she likes the idea if it's like a slightly lifted v70 and she can have an auto, I'm okay with this.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

MustardFacial posted:

Car check in: I've been thinking about the RX-7 thing for a long time, I don't know what it is but I find the idea of a Japanese Hot Rod very appealing. Even though, under most circumstances I prefer tiny engines and good handling. But then again I have severe automotive ADD, so when I think of "my next DD" it always bounces between an LS swapped RX-7, somehow finding a way to import a Dolomite Sprint into Canada, a Datsun 280Z, some sort of Hakosuka replica, spend a decent amount of money on a good van to transport the kart around in and use as a DD or a Suzuki DL650.

[edit] While it's all well and good to have hopes and dreams I doubt any of this will ever happen and I'll find some way to spend the money on more "sensible" things instead of on myself. I'll probably drive this shitbox Cobalt into the ground.

You just had a kid. Goodbye car toys!

Also, watch this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlOYX124hrU
EFR FTW.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

the spyder posted:

You just had a kid. Goodbye car toys!

Also, watch this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlOYX124hrU
EFR FTW.

Hey man, some of us had kids and kept our toys

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Aug 3, 2016

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I sort of want that job.

You may not, I just got out of my interview with the CEO who told me they have 6 months of cash in the bank. Working on getting some big new contracts, but still....

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

blk posted:

You may not, I just got out of my interview with the CEO who told me they have 6 months of cash in the bank. Working on getting some big new contracts, but still....

Hahahaha. Run.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

blk posted:

poo poo like this happens, it doesn't always mean doom. It's good of your CEO to give you a heads up.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Where's the best thread to post a Forester ad so knowledgeable people can tell me either to run away or what to look for?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Cakefool posted:

Where's the best thread to post a Forester ad so knowledgeable people can tell me either to run away or what to look for?

Here, my Project Gone Wrong thread or Subaru / Flannel thread.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Ugh. Work was poo poo today. Everything that could go wrong did. Twice.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Here, my Project Gone Wrong thread or Subaru / Flannel thread.

Forgot about the flannel thread, thanks.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
CommieGIR and I are watching this gaming garbage livestream and it's horrid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Adiabatic posted:

CommieGIR and I are watching this gaming garbage livestream and it's horrid

That hurt to watch. That and Youtube chat is awful.

• Locked thread