Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Picked up another 3D printer. Party August.

Also: If you haven't, go read Frank Herbert's Dune

Where's my introduction STR? :argh:

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Aug 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

mariooncrack posted:

Anyone have recommendations for audio books? I have a bunch of credits at audible to burn.

I listened to American Gods but I found it enjoyable. I also listened to the expanded version, don't know if that makes a difference.

I'm going to be a boring science student and recommend Carl Sagan's 'Pale Blue Dot' audiobook.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

If you do this, absolutely do not read past the third book.

True, it got pretty bad past that.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
The Bourne Identity was an excellent read if you are looking for something more action-y.

Much like Dune, don't read any of the books not actually written by Robert Ludlum.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

The best books are the ones they turn into movies so I don't have to do any of that gay reading poo poo.

The Dune miniseries was better than the movie.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

I drew pictures on the wall of the asylum with my poop that told a better story than the Lynch film.

But did you poo poo out Sting?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

literally a fish posted:

I just wanted to give people the option of a BotM that more than 4 of us might actually read since this is a car forum not a college literature class and we are perhaps not all interested in books for books' sake, but for entertainment and escapism and other things

We are not only men of automotive insanity, but men of intellectual taste :viggo:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

At least you lot can read. Other car forums, I honestly have no goddamn idea how anyone can be on the Internet and be that illiterate

Usually on VWVortex *shudders* and Audi sites it turns into

'lol y r u not stancing? U r a lozer'

And then I cry.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Wave of babies!

Trump will be displeased

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Only 4% of cars sold last year had manuals :smith:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I sort of want that job.

CSI makes me physically ill.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

MustardFacial posted:

Baby check in: She cries a lot. I think she might be cholic. I don't get any sleep.

Are you breastfeeding or formula? Do both, if possible. And welcome to fatherhood, it gets better (and more expensive)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

the spyder posted:

You just had a kid. Goodbye car toys!

Also, watch this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlOYX124hrU
EFR FTW.

Hey man, some of us had kids and kept our toys

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Aug 3, 2016

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Adiabatic posted:

CommieGIR and I are watching this gaming garbage livestream and it's horrid

That hurt to watch. That and Youtube chat is awful.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

The Locator posted:

What the hell is that? Is that Lowtax and his kid?

Yes. Yes it is.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

mariooncrack posted:

Government tracking you? Hell no.

Private company tracking you so you can catch pokemon? OK!

Comcast insisted today to the FCC that they should be allowed to charge people extra to not be allowed to track them.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Been off my anti-anxiety meds for a few months now but lately I have been getting panic attacks and super anxious over nothing. Hate that butterflies-in-your-stomach feeling. :(

I thought you smoked the mary jane?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Finally replaced that D&D avatar.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

IOwnCalculus posted:

I now get why people hate millennials. I think this officially makes me old but I don't care.

Sitting at dinner with my almost-4-year-old, a couple of college age kids sit in the booth directly behind us. After ten minutes of them reading off all of their hilarious Pokémon names like "Gloopy gently caress" and calling the girl who brought them food a "dumb ho", I told them to shut the hell up. Response?

"Why are you using harsh language?"

I think the last time I wanted to cause someone such severe physical harm was back in high school when some shithead with pretty much the exact same flippant attitude decided that he needed to ride in the bed of my truck. Wouldn't listen to me saying no until I gave it a few quick stabs of gas and brake.

Country is doomed, terrorists win.

Not much worse than listening to a bunch of baby boomers talking about "That dumb bitch that brought our food" and discussing their fantasies for shooting blacks.

That was a really weird business lunch...

But yeah, there are a lot of lovely millenials.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I'm more worried about my teeth than my weight.

Dental Insurance barely covers anything, its ridiculous.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Darchangel posted:

Can confirm: Dental insurance is far worse than general health insurance. Mine knocks almost everything down by 50%, but only covers a max of $3500, which is pitiful.

I have a tooth at the back of my mouth that is slowly disintegrating due to a cavity, and I can't save it because a root canal would still mean $2000 in expenses for me.

I'm going to have to go with an extraction, not looking forward to it :smith:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

ssjonizuka posted:

Ugh, that sucks. Not quite as bad -but in a similar vein: I go to a periodontist 3-4 times a year. For the past...4 years. Usually about $130 out of pocket a visit. Add any extra services and it just balloons. And some old fillings are breaking down, so..here comes some more work on top of that! hooray! Insurance is awesome!

Even worse, the Dentist simply shrugs and says "Here, apply for this CareCredit credit card that will charge you 28-34% annual interest if you don't pay it off in the first 12 months!"

Thanks Dentist!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Find an 84 Lumber yard.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Needs V12 Jag love.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Safety Dance posted:

They probably know enough to leave running cables to the cable-running professionals.

Depends on whether or not the client is actually willing to pay someone to run them.

But gently caress doing fiber, I've done it before for big clients, but never without renting the proper tools.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Adiabatic posted:

Lmao so I thought the AC compressor went out in the MR2 but I go and look at it and the belt's loose. It's only the harmonic balancer, the compressor, and a tensioner.

Also the harmonic balancer pulley for the AC compressor (but not for all the other accessories) has about an inch or two of axial play when I rev the motor. It legit reminds me of a starter gear clutch.

Is it just worn, or is it using some sort of different clutch setup?

Blk!

Still got the Elitebook?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

meatpimp posted:

Yeah, screw your existential angst, blk, still got that old cheap laptop?

Don't judge me.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Goober Peas posted:

I think questioning whether you married the right person is common, especially in the early years of the marriage. Also big life changes tend to put stress on the relationship that prime that question.

Sounds completely normal to me

This is pretty normal. Celebrating our 10 year anniversary this Friday, and we had our issues, even briefly both considered divorce, so we dated other people, and realized that we didn't have it bad at all.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

the spyder posted:

I've been meaning to post our old Lenovo T510+T520 up, but I haven't had time. If anyone wants a cheap i5/i7 (8GB/160-256GB SSD/15") laptop, PM me.

Graphics? I need something with non Intel Video for a 3D printer station.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

angryrobots posted:

My wife and I have had major arguments over the dumbest poo poo, but probably the most common is my shop time, and the differing opinions we have about what is equitable, and included.

Sorry hun, but no I don't agree that yardwork should be counted toward my personal time. :v:

Thankfully, we're both hermits and she respect that I want to spend time in the garage and she wants time for her hobbies.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

the spyder posted:

I think the T510 has a Quadro, I'll check. It's a quad core, 8GB, 256GB, WXGA+. Was our kitchen computer for the last few years.

Let me know!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

NitroSpazzz posted:

Speaking of computers and stuff anyone need a hard drive or several? Have a box of these that are going to scrap shortly. I can't sell them but I can give them away as long as you pay shipping. I already grabbed a couple that I'll likely never use but there's probably 100+ left.

email me ub3ratl4sf00 (a) gmail. I'll take some! I won't even need those SATA to SAS adapters anymore for my Storage Array! :woop:

Cakefool posted:

I missed the birth of my second but my only concern was that were both okay.

All of a sudden they're 6 and 3 years old.

We had a C-section, and I was there holding my wife's hand. I remember we both cried as soon as we heard his first cries.

Now he's 4, and he's already figured out all the controls for both the Wii U and the PS3, and regularly manages them himself with zero help. Where the hell did time go?

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Aug 11, 2016

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

NitroSpazzz posted:

All 4TB, used in a massive storage development system for a few months then sat powered off and now they're in a cardboard box waiting to be scrapped. I'll respond to PM's at the end of the day once I figure out how I'm going to get a very heavy box full of hard drives home. I'll weigh a couple and see how many I can safely stuff in a flat rate box. They're SAS if you haven't looked up the part number yet.

I don't have PMs right now! email?

Email got! My MD1000 is going to be very happy. Gonna have to update my Controller now though...

Collateral Damage posted:

For you vultures, do note that those are SAS drives and most onboard SATA controllers won't work with SAS drives, so you'll need a standalone SAS controller like http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2KM4558738

SAS for lyfe

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Aug 11, 2016

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Just FYI:

You are going to need a fairly modern SAS controller, and a system that supports UEFI MBR

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
You can pick up a SuperMicro SAS array pretty cheap and go with an LSI JBOD controller.

IOwnCalculus posted:

What self-respecting goon doesn't already have a SAS-based NAS for serving their Linux ISOs?

Its more the issue of having one that supports more than 2.5TB. Like mine, which is old, only supports up to that.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

literally a fish posted:

Translation: "What sort of self-respecting nerd doesn't have a server full of hard drives to store all their COMPLETELY LEGAL AND IN NO WAY PIRATED digital content"

What else am I going to host Kerbal Multiplayer Servers on?

:colbert:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Started a Kerbal Multiplayer dedicated server, come join us and make an rear end out of yourself in space. For science.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3786210

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

opengl128 posted:

I'll post this every time someone has a stuck rotor because it's a million times better than beating the poo poo out of it and possibly messing up a hub/bearing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtsTJCRljAs

It has never failed me. So satisfying when it just pops loose.

And always take a wire wheel and scrub the rust off afterwords. I do it with every brake change.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Enourmo posted:

Turns out that to get budget for the rocket project I'm running ($500 which the SGA will then match), I have to make a powerpoint and potentially an in-person presentation to the regional chapter of the organization. Like the actual pro-tier main part of the org where real engineers run it, not the school chapter. :sweatdrop:

I desire to know more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

So the pissing cat continues to pee in the same spot no matter what I do. I had the idea that maybe if I buy a motion sensing air freshener and sit it right in that spot it might scare him away. I'd of course need to fill it with water so I don't poison him but how cruel does this sound?

My parents use an automatic air freshener to do this.

• Locked thread