Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Why are the catte pictures broken STR?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Yay kitties!

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Phone posted:

Work has "Lobster Roll" in the cafeteria today. Do I proceed? Y/N

Do you live in Maine or work for google?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Somewhat Heroic posted:

In a previous life I was a FedEx ground driver. I could equally rattle off stories of assholes all day but will settle for one. Dude was getting a Dell laptop with signature required. Went to the house, knocked and rang etc. I'm not shy about knocking either. He calls the terminal to say I never tried and obviously I was some sort of idiot that was at the wrong house. I then told the terminal that he was obviously wrong and wasn't home and then went on to describe the house in explicit detail with location on the street, type of door, landscaping, etc. Ground drivers are paid according to performance and delivering 100% every day is expected.
My experence was the exact opposite. I had some camera equipment shipped fedex ground to my office. We have a full time receptionist. 3 times "business closed" at like 10am. This was after I called after the 2nd time.
They had to send it air to get it delivered.
I had similar issues with my apartment. Instead of calling at the gate, they'd piggy back in and then stick the notice on your door without ringing the bell. Fedex ground office was 25mi away because socal sucks.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Stella is the Budweiser of Europe (not to be confused with the Czech Budweiser) and the fact that it is marketed here as anything more than that is hilarious to me.
In England it is most associated with domestic violence FFS, and Americans pay a premium for it.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Isn't it called "Wifebeater" over there?

Yeah. Calling it the bud of europe might even class it up. It is the natty ice of Europe.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

You're not wrong. I consider myself lucky to live in the northeastern US where Yuengling is sold. Relatively cheap and tastes very good, especially with some barbeque.

Yuengling is fine, but it doesn't really hold a candle to the west caost breweries like stone (or a fair number of decent east coast breweries).

nm
Jan 28, 2008

meatpimp posted:

New Belgium makes good beer. Fat Tire is very drinkable and a good everyday beer.

My favorite of theirs is the Fat Sour Apple Ale that's only available in the "Fat Tire & Friends" box. :( Another good sour they have is Snapshot, and I'm looking forward to trying their La Folie. Sour beers a great, and I hope they catch on and drive the weapons-of-hops-destruction IPAs out of the forefront.

If sours become the next big thing we'll have the same more is better shot amd we'll all be drinking lemon juice.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

BraveUlysses posted:

Your work won't let you take a prescribed medication for anxiety? That's messed up. Seeing a therapist would be good.

That sounds like an ada violation unless they have a drat good reason.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I can't take any narcotic meds because I need a DOT card for work. Which is bullshit because my work vehicle ks way under the DOT weight limit. It is just a work policy that everyone has to have a DOT card. I do work with a guy with back problems and a Vicodin script. He just didn't tell the DOT doctor about it and used fake piss to pass the test instead.

I'd talk to an employment lawyer about the whole thing.
If you don't need a DOT card to drive the vehicle, and you cannot get one due to a medical conditon but can drive the car safely and legally, not requiring you to have one seems like a reasonable accomodation. I am, however, not an employment or ada lawyer, so talk to one.
ADA comes with ways to recover attorneys fees, so I believe many will do a free consult.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

14inch's thread is majorily depressing in the last couple of pages.

Meth pychosis can last for a good while after last use.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Liquid Communism posted:

How big are your loans that it wouldn't be vastly faster to pay them off with an extra 20-30k a year?

If he works for a non-profit they're paid off in 10 years if he makes IBR payments.
PSLF is a great thing and if you plan to stay in public service for a decade, it is insane to pay more than the minimum.
PSLF is also tax free for the balance, unlike IBR alone.

nm fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Aug 13, 2016

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Tide posted:

Considering that nearly twice as many white people (581) were killed by police than blacks* (306) in 2015, I'm not so sure your statement holds much water.

(*Despite the fact that blacks have many times more interactions with police than whites.)

As people have pointed out, this highlights the problem.
As does the second bit about interactions. Whites and minorities break the law at similar rates, whites just get caught less.

For example, a study in California found that white people were actually more likely to be carrying drugs, but got arrested for drugs far less than blacks and hispanics. The fact that minorities get stopped more often is part of the problem, not some defense for shootinh.

In my career I've met a lot of DAs, cops, judges, and public defenders. White ones basically never get stopped as they are well dressed, driving newer cars, and even have plates that when run ID them as law enforcement. Black ones also are well dessed, drive never cars, and have said plates. They get pulled over multiple times, likely based one either the cops not running the plate before pulling them over or assuming the car is stolen.

Any honest member of a law enforcement agency will admit race plays a huge factor in enforcement. Not a whole lot of people will admit it is there, but even with a small glance, you'll find it.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Sinestro posted:

It's true that there's a disparity in number of police interactions, but I wonder what the disparity if you normalize in terms of that would be?

edit: I'll just work it out.

The United States is 72.4% white and 12.6% African-American. According to the BJS, 46.6% of police interactions are with white Americans, and 22.8% are with African-Americans. Out of 990 police shooting deaths, 49.8% (494) of those killed were white (compared to 441 if police shootings were racially neutral), and 26.1% (258) were African-American (compared to 225 if police shootings were racially neutral).

The problem here as that you assume that "per police interaction" is a race neutral number. Generally, police choose who they want to contact (as most contacts are traffic or ped stops, not crimes in progress), and they tend to choose to contact blacks and hispanics over white.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

FYI, the thread's title also applies to foam rolling out an injured muscle. Hurts so good.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

iwentdoodie posted:

Foam rolling is when you find out just how many ways you can swear.

I put my Scottish ancestors to shame.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

iwentdoodie posted:

Wife and her friends are having to scramble to find another way home from Vegas thanks to that giant rear end fire.

Maybe by tomorrow it'll be less huge and I15 will open, but it's really not looking good.

I have some friends who work in Victorville. This one seems really bad. The summit inn burned.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

iwentdoodie posted:

Last I heard was 6500+ acres, and it was mowing through neighborhoods. It's in a really bad spot.

Calfire has mandatory evacuations on 82,000 people. It is 15k acres now.
Its going through the outskirts of VV and Hesperia, lots of fairly poor people loosing everything.

The fire up on Lake County is pretty bad.

I'm sure there will be a bunch of "rich californians living in hills" shitposting somewhere, but most of these fires are hitting poor quasi-urban/suburban neighborhoods.

nm fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Aug 17, 2016

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Yeah, it sounds like you need better fitting shoes. I orefer hiking boots for longer urban walking with good insoles (I use superfeet).
Keeping your feet dry also helps. Breathable shoes (my boots are summer boots with lots of mesh) and wicking socks nake a huge diffference. 100% cotton socks are the loving worst as they just get soaked. Change socks midway through the day if you have to.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

bend posted:

Will the auto version run into anything? realistically it does the same job either way so if it's not going to hit any thing I'd just do that. Doublecheck the flanges are the same though.
I'm pretty sure fit is why they have manual and auto version of cats.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

I watched 2 minutes. When do things happen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

slidebite posted:

As someone who very, very rarely gets fast food for a breakfast (like 1-2 a year), my wife and I both look forward to early morning trips when we grab a couple of greasy sausage & egg Mcmuffins and hasbrowns.

Followed by praying we don't need to uncontrollably poo poo it all out 3 hours later on an airplane.

If you get the ham ones, you should be fine. They're actually almost not bad for you or your gut. The pressed mystery meat and fat of the "sausage" is what does you in.

• Locked thread