Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
How are you guys tensioning accessory belts? I keep putting off buying a belt tension gauge but I feel like it will probably have paid for itself by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Maksimus54 posted:

I know I'm not some poster anyone knows, but I just had the biggest life changing 12 hours of my life and I have to share somewhere. My fiance just had a baby at home at 5:15 august 1st. We did not know she was pregnant. She delivered it herself. The house looks like a scene from the Walking Dead. I'm a dad and I have had no notice and holy poo poo guys we don't even have a name picked out jesus christ

Congratulations!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Tommychu posted:

That reminds me, I saw this post on the Festiva forum the other day:

You'd think someone would have noticed something when the shipping was like $200.

Now that's a bearing.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Anyone work at or know someone who works at a Honda dealer?

I'd like to get a radio code but the car it came out of a decade+ ago is now a toaster oven at Walmart.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
My Summer Car is on Steam Greenlight:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=651939391

It's basically Finnish AI: With Permadeath.

Have this video from the developer, who obviously learned to speak English from rally videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0IZ_TEzg7M

Use the correct size wrench for fasteners! Use beer to get your car out of a ditch! Rebuild engines!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

blk posted:

I'm applying for a job at a company that makes some interesting threat analysis software that tries to predict terrorist activity, etc. One of the things they need help with is butching up the UI because a lot of their clients are ex-cops who want to feel like the star of 24 when they're using a computer. I started working on a couple ideas for them and realized I'm basically making the UI for Command & Conquer. Found the appropriate music to work to for self reinforcement: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2MZzIhjlpY

The soundtrack to that game was so goooooooood.

I sort of want that job.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Tommychu posted:

With my last couple rockauto orders the guy's been setting the box down on the doorstep, butted up against the screen door, ringing the doorbell and loving off. Since the door opens outward, the screen isn't a removable panel and the boxes were full of brake stuff and way too heavy to push with the door without wrecking it he's effectively trapped me in the house both times.

So you're telling me there's a box of fresh brake parts in front of your house and there's nothing you can do to stop me from getting them?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Just swapped the wifemobile's spark plugs and wires. The Roadkill ziptie spark plug separator trick works really well.

Little worried the middle two plugs had oil on them, but that's probably typical. PCV valve swap didn't do much to keep the oil fill hole from blowing by, so more work to be done there.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Raluek posted:

Nope, actually, that's the generally recommended least likely to gently caress your poo poo up these days. :shobon:

Unlike some of the others, Microsoft isn't stupid enough to put an executable unpacker with buffer-overflow exploits in ring 0.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

1500quidporsche posted:

I like slow 80s cars.

Like the 1984 Volkswagen Scirocco

84 was a pivotal year for the Scirocco and it had numerous changes. They moved to two wiper blades on the front. They also made numerous changes midway through the year that makes finding parts impossible. Things like the gas tank being bigger doing really matter but they switched the brake light switch from being on the master cylinder to being pedal operated and the kid at the parts desk will just loving stare blankly at you as you try to explain how its a loving switch in the circuit sense and not a physical switch and you need the early 84 one because I'm not rewiring poo poo through the firewall just because he's just going to be a lazy piece of poo poo that orders the first one he sees.

If you can find a 16v engine for the Scirocco you should get it. Its a direct bolt in and if you get the fuel system it directly plugs into the existing fuse box. A lot of people say the 16v models are better because they have rear disc brakes but given the weight distribution of these things the standard brakes are more than enough and you're better off just swapping the 16v engine into an earlier model. One thing worth grabbing though is the 16v bumpers which dropped the hydraulic pistons and are considerably lighter. I think everything said and done my Scirocco tipped the scales at 2,070lbs which I'm quite happy with.

Do you like the Mk2 GTI 16v?

Their early work was a little too playful for my tastes, but when the Mk2 GTI came out in 1983, I think they really came into their own, commercially and dynamically. The whole chassis has a crisp, springy feel, and a new raspy exhaust on the eight-valve that really announces the car has arrived. They've been compared to Audi, but I think Volkswagen has a far more acute sense of chassis tuning.

In '87, Volkswagen released this, the 16 valve 1.8, their most accomplished motor. I think their undisputed masterpiece is the thermostat housing, a design so convoluted most German mechanics never pay attention to it. But they should, because it's not just about avoiding an exploding heater core or inconvenient block rupture, it's also important to maintain cooling system pressure in the questionable water jacket design.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Are the eBay ratcheting crimpers better than a non-ratcheting parts store stripper/crimper?

Because I'm using the latter right now and can't find any decent examples of the former in "non-professional" (sub-$500) prices at retail here.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Safety Dance posted:

You're in Oz or something, right? Here are some ratcheting crimpers on Amazon for $35: https://smile.amazon.com/Foxnovo-Wi...g+crimper&psc=1

Canada, and that one doesn't ship there :(

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Safety Dance posted:

This should be good for 22-10 awg. Not quite big enough for battery cables, but enough for most car audio / misc repairs: https://www.amazon.ca/Titan-11477-R...an+crimper+dies

Thank you. Your reward lies in heaven.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Yay it wasn't the main relay in my Civic and the thermostat ground bolt is rounding off when I try to remove it so I'm sure it's fine. It's fine.

Time to test for a dead ECU. :suicide:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
In our local area, someone put together a show called Ice Racer Showdown that takes place at the lake we use for ice racing.

http://www.cmt.ca/show/ice-racer-showdown

It is infected pretty thoroughly with "reality TV disease," but the thesis I'm trying to get across is that ice racing is awesome.

Rallycross in general is full of the best people you will ever meet.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

meatpimp posted:

I'm waiting for my light bulb's firmware to update.

Voted for best one-sentence dystopian science fiction short story.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

1500quidporsche posted:

So at least a third of my piston is sitting in the exhaust.

Pour some oil down the bore and see how much compression you get back.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Elmnt80 posted:

I just watched a 17 year old chick singing for a band bitch some 40 year old dude for calling her jailbait. Dis is an entertaining concert.

And now shes quoting fury road...

You're going to jail.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Adiabatic posted:

Its okay bro youre talking to a god damned moron anyways:

lmao

Just lmao

"I'm bored of cars, time to commit financial suicide."

e: I hear your roommate is also involved, so change that to murder-suicide.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

KozmoNaut posted:

Amen, brother.

If it's something I expect to use a lot, I am perfectly willing to pay a premium for a product that'll last forever and/or can be repaired with relative ease. Unfortunately those products are few and far between these days. My car is 15 years old, my turntable is 30 years old, most of my other stereo gear is 10+ years old (including a few 40 year old pieces), my apartment is from the 1930s. I wish stuff was still built to last.

When they saddled me with a new Lenovo ThinkPad at work (W540) I was pretty jazzed to see if it would keep going like the R40 that I've been using for several decades.

It died after like a year and has had two motherboard replacements since then. At least their warranty is pretty good?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

You Am I posted:

Back home after a 3 week road trip interstate to deal with the fact that my dad has been kicked out of aged care home as the nurses could not handle his behaviour due to his Alzheimers, and getting gently caress all support from social workers.
How the gently caress do you have an old folks home with no ability to deal with Alzheimers?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

the spyder posted:

Maybe a certain uncorked rotary needs to live in your garage for a few weeks.

Sweet Chili Heat and the Nextdoor Probably-Racists is a children's book that deserves to be told.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

slidebite posted:

Well, at least the hail damage wasn't fixed yet! :buddy:

If it's anything like the hailchasers who hosed up my car it's better off with the scrapes.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Sweet Chili Heat and the Nextdoor Probably-Racists is a children's book that deserves to be told.

I told it

quote:

Sweet Chili Heat and the Nextdoor Probably-Racists

Once upon a time, there was a little Mazda named Sweet Chili Heat. Sweet Chili Heat and his owner lived in an unassuming suburb, where they would happily do basic maintenance and the occasional grocery run.

In that suburb, there was a social network named Nextdoor, where Sweet Chili Heat’s neighbours would discuss the abstract concepts of crime and punishment in a twenty-first century left adrift by the destruction of trusted institutions in a sea of rapidly accelerating technological and social changes. Sometimes people would complain about Sweet Chili Heat, but Sweet Chili Heat never saw that, because he was a car and did not know how to get on the Internet.

One day, Sweet Chili Heat’s owner accidentally enabled the text-to-speech functionality of his overcomplicated and often-confusing smartphone. Before he could shut it off, Sweet Chili Heat heard the entire rant about the “super loud car driven by that Mexican menacing the security of the existence of our people and a future for white children.”

Well, let me tell you, Sweet Chili Heat did not take kindly to racism. Maybe it was because of his birth in Hiroshima, where he saw the futility of man’s hatred towards his fellow man, or maybe it was because he jealously desired the secret of rational thought and despised those who would throw it away for lazy stereotyping.

The next morning, Sweet Chili Heat awoke. In the night, his slow but capable cruise-control ECU (for Sweet Chili Heat was carbureted, unlike his smarter and younger brother who resided in the same garage) had done enough lexical and semantic analysis to figure out the most likely source of the slurs.

When the police arrived, they found a family, all clutching their individual copies of Mein Kampf. At first, they could not determine the cause of death. Upon further investigation, the coroners discovered all the members of the family were missing their auditory cortexes. In their place was nothing but sparkling goo, as if they had been pummeled into liquid by some unknown force.

Nobody suspected Sweet Chili Heat after the muffler was re-attached.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I think I might set the local Subaru dealership on fire, who wants to help?

If I couldn't think of another example in recent memory, I'd say they're the worst parts desk in human history. Massive unemployment, tons of smart people out of work and this is the best they can get?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

1500quidporsche posted:

Which one? The one that refused to sell me poo poo or the one who argued with me about my own car?

I can't tell which is which because I've had both experiences at both?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Stories please.

One of the local Nissan dealerships had a young buck service advisor who argued with my wife that her car didn't exist.

Finally she got fed up and asked both him and the service manager to join her outside, where she pointed to her trunk lid, got in and left.

We got a really apologetic phone call from the service manager an hour later.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I think I might set the local Subaru dealership on fire, who wants to help?

If I couldn't think of another example in recent memory, I'd say they're the worst parts desk in human history. Massive unemployment, tons of smart people out of work and this is the best they can get?

I called a different dealership and they managed to order the parts for this Friday in fifteen minutes flat.

I had previously avoided going to this one because I felt like it was further away, but after checking Google Maps it's actually way, way closer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

This is still my favourite scene (even in terrible youtube-rip quality).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SY99U3cpsIw

• Locked thread