Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

some texas redneck posted:

Is 13 inch slowly becoming more insane?

"slowly"

(we love ya 14)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Found a griddle yesterday morning! It was sitting next to a dumpster, on top of a pile of furniture from people moving out. You can see why they thought it was trash:

But I made it better:

(that's more rust than grease on the stovetop, thing was caked after the self-clean cycle. and yes i know the egg's too brown, I jumped the gun after turning the heat down and didn't let it cool down enough.)

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Hell, let's all just read Lee Iacocca's autobiography from way back when, that's AI enough for everyone, right?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

finally finished with all my finals for summer. Just gotta get the rocket project wrapped up* and I'll have 3 weeks to cool my heels before fall semester starts.

*We launch Saturday, our last build day is tomorrow, and five of the seven teams haven't finished their rockets yet. :ohdear:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

6'5" and a svelte 350 pounds here. :v:

I was lifting weights and losing weight for a while, got down to 260 from my previous max of 295, but the depression that had been pushed away by the exercise endorphins finally came back with a vengeance and I fell off the wagon, gained back all the weight plus 1.5x more.

Turns out I gotta get my brain working before it can make my muscles do things! Who knew?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Man i'm pricing out plywood for rocket club stuff, why the gently caress do neither HD nor lowes let me filter by thickness?

E: Oh okay it's there on the main lumber page but not the plywood subsection. Cause that makes sense.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Would it be worth it for 1 sheet? I'm just looking to make up some jigs for stuff on the school's laser cutter.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

fridge corn posted:

Do they still sell Sparks in america?

Isn't Sparks like the weaker predecessor to 4 loko? I remember drinking some a while back and they didn't do much for me.

My friend would apparently fill up an orange juice jug with em and walk around his high school getting plastered.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

It's almost like you can classify beers multiple ways! wow

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Same, honestly.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

You know, I had a build all planned out for my computer. I upgraded the PSU and graphics card over the last year, and I bought some DDR4 ram that's currently sitting in my closet. All that was left was a mobo/processor/case. Like $5-600 all told. (E: well, more "replaced" than "upgraded" on the PSU; it's more efficient, but dropped from 850W to 450 because that's all I need; the old one was pushing 8 years old)

But, man... I read these horror story threads about dudes getting $60 grand in debt and I think "you know, my games/3d modeling and sim programs are running pretty good as is. I think I'll hold off til I'm employed instead of blowing my pell grant leftovers."

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Elmnt80 posted:

Welcome to my everyday misery. Dat florida lyfe.

When I was in HS marching band we had an instructor who had just moved from like Illinois and famously said "Man, I can't wait til September when it cools off!" and we all just sort of gave that dead, hollow laughter that can only come with experience.

Turns out that to get budget for the rocket project I'm running ($500 which the SGA will then match), I have to make a powerpoint and potentially an in-person presentation to the regional chapter of the organization. Like the actual pro-tier main part of the org where real engineers run it, not the school chapter. :sweatdrop:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

CommieGIR posted:

I desire to know more.

Up til last summer they were just building big (F/G class) estes kits and launching them. The engineering aspect was just modeling the rockets in CAD and doing flow simulations to get a drag coefficient, then using that for some apogee calculations.

Starting last fall (when I joined), they started doing mostly the same thing but with scratch-built rockets. I ended up winning in spring, and my teammate and I got selected to lead the project for the next year. Summer we made our first major change, which was designing the rockets to a specific apogee target, which was well below the motors' capability, so it was a challenge making the fins big and draggy enough without being overly stable (which would send the rocket angling into even a 5mph crosswind and fly off at like a 45 degree angle).

Now, though... we're adding active parachute deployment control (instead of deploying with the eject charge at 1200-1800 feet and praying it doesn't drift into the woods), and an actual payload to recover instead of empty tubes (probably an egg, unless I can find something less messy that doesn't break the bank).

And I gotta budget out all these changes in like a week.

It'll be fantastic on the resume if i can swing it, but... man. Talk about pressure.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

In more lighthearted news:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frdj1zb9sMY

:flashfap:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Pham Nuwen posted:

IS THAT THE MOTHERFUCKIN' DONNIE YEN AS A MOTHERFUCKIN' JEDI?

After being pretty "meh, okay" on TFA, I'm now fully sold on this movie purely because of Donnie Yen.

I didn't even know who he was and I was like "DUDE" at his shot

(yes I've heard of Ip Man, no i have not seen it)

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Could it be the new swap gem for those few cars where even an LS is too long?

I've kinda wanted to do a 4.3 build since I had my Blazer a while back.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Specific output is the dumbest metric ever. How much do all those extra HP/L drive up the cost while still leaving you with a physically larger engine?

Plus the thing about throwing cubic inches at the horsepower problem means the engines are way less stressed than some 20:1 compression, 9k rpm screamer. There's a reason GM motors are generally known for their longevity.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Yeah I guess what I meant was volume-specific output is a better metric in my book than displacement-specific. That pretty much disqualifies turbos since turbos and intercoolers tend to be bulky.

Superchargers are a little better, but also put more stress on the engine since it takes shaft power to run them. The old GT500s, for example, made about 500 hp from that 5.4, but it took (roughly, it's hard to get numbers for stock hardware) 150 hp to run the blower, so the internals are effectively experiencing the stress and conditions of a 650 hp NA motor. So it's harder to get longevity.

That leaves high-power NA engines, which are what I was thinking of since that's what this V6 is. You can optimize for airflow and whatnot (once you've maxed out basic tuning, I mean), but the main power increases there come from either revving higher or upping compression, both of which put more stress on the internals. Smaller-displacement motors tend to have shorter strokes/crank throws, which means a shorter lever arm, so to get the same torque at a given RPM (and thus the same hp) you need to put more force through that rod/piston assembly.

Wow this got more in-depth and technical than I thought. Tl;dr big motors that make power "inefficiently" have benefits on a road car and I definitely appreciate them more than I used to.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I use defender and adblock and I haven't had any kind of viral issue since like 2010, and that was a malware infection that somehow got into the wireless router itself. :psyduck:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Raluek posted:

Huh, are they exploiting the ability to upload custom firmware now, and flashing an owned version of dd-wrt or something? Sounds interesting. Although, a lot of those embedded systems have telnet open and a bunch of known vulns and such, but I didn't know anyone was taking advantage of them. Neat.

Yeah I don't remember details, all I know is the router at my mom's place suddenly started routing any website request sent from the computers to random spam sites. Had to do a hard reset on it and it never had a problem again.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

5 inches of width is a hell of a difference in tight bays.

(:pervert:)

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

McTinkerson posted:

Don't forget to test the pressure relief valve with regularity. Water heaters make wonderful bombs if those fail. They also make the most satisfying sounds when they do explode.

To wit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bU-I2ZiML0&t=70s

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

So, antidepressants.

Pros: I feel slightly less like poo poo, sometimes.

Cons: I have been involuntarily clenching my jaw/grinding teeth for the past few weeks and frankly it's starting to piss me off.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Welbutrin. I ran out mid may and had been forgetting doses a whole bunch, but I refilled at the start of July and got a reminder app.

I'll be honest, I'd take sexual side effects over this. Not like I'm getting laid anyway.

iwentdoodie posted:

Pros: I feel better

Cons: I subconsciously do poo poo that's less annoying than what I normally do.

My jaw is in a constant state of soreness and exhaustion to the point of distraction, this isn't just some minor tic.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Well hopefully I can figure something out.

The club leaders are wanting us to make use of the wind tunnel we have access to, since it's underutilized. It's too small to fit our rockets, and only goes to 80mph. I'm meeting with the operator this afternoon to see if scale models will be able to give us useful results, but I'm not optimistic.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Probably because the base C5 comes close to the performance without all the hassle of finding parts, and the Z06 is flat-out faster. C4s are just hitting the upward section of the "cost bathtub"; they've been around long enough to depreciate, but aren't old enough to be considered true collectors just by virtue of their age yet. Their value is mostly as track toys, and the newer models are just that much better.

I would love to get one and make a Vette-kart like Roadkill's.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

ask me about my recent impulse purchase

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

BoostCreep posted:

I rather like it, but then again it's basically all I've ever wanted to do in a video game, so there's that. I'm curious to see how the game evolves over its lifetime with patches and content additions. This is one of those games like Minecraft that will be nearly entirely different a year from now.

I think I could get into it, if I could actually play it. I got trapped on a planet, getting into the ship to leave crashes the game and no fix suggested anywhere works for me.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

The Locator posted:

With that little amount of time into it couldn't you just delete and start over?

It's also horribly unoptimized, I get framerate stutter/texture artifacts/glitches galore even on medium settings. This is on my 960 that runs Fallout 4 pretty much flawlessly on high settings.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

iwentdoodie posted:

Fuckkkkkk. Pork butt has been stalled between 140 and 150 since 330. Just now hit 151.

This poo poo needs to hurry the gently caress up.

That just means the collagen's being transmogrified into gelatin, give it time

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

The stumbling on my car has been getting worse, so I popped the hood again and fiddled with a bunch of poo poo I've checked before. This time, though, i also pushed the connectors on the ignition coils and fuel injectors, and now it seems to be running fine again. Dunno what I fixed but hopefully it stays fixed.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Hey club president, i wanna thank you. Surely the day the budget is due is the best time to mention the SGA's arbitrary rule that 'no single item may exceed $100', and not 2 weeks ago when you first requested a budget. That definitely doesn't affect buying stuff for rockets, especially not control electronics.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

This CAD/CAM professor is starting the intro lecture with a "why I'm qualified to teach you" highlight reel, he's made a poo poo ton of robotic medical devices, from surgery bots to artificial limbs.

I have a good feeling about this class.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

CommieGIR posted:

1. Sell that weird thing that moves on the water.
2. Buy a land barge.
3. Add a mast.
4. Profit.

Landsailing is actually a thing.

I think it's something I could get into if I lived somewhere amenable to it. All the fun of sailing, without the hassle of maintaining something that lives in the water.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

fridge corn posted:

lol lets spend 1500 on a pc *fires up £300 ps4 drives away in £500 car*

when a $15 used PC can provide as much enjoyment as a $1500 new one, you'll have a point.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Rhyno posted:

Assessor was here just now, didn't question a thing we had down as damaged. Approved our property replacement, should have a check by Thursday.

Shame about those immaculate original copies of Action Comics #1 etc that were lost to the flames, amirite?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

https://twitter.com/ditzkoff/status/770355465507176454

I'm not crying you're crying

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Hard to believe the dad turned to drug dealing in his later years.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Wheeeeeee, made an appointment to get my oil changed tomorrow, went to go back to the school and my loving car refused to start. They tested it at like 215 CCA, guess my bad alternator ate the battery after all before I replaced it; loving battery's like a year old. I love paying retail prices to get simple jobs done for me!

Hopefully Advance honors the warranty when I take the core to them.

E: Tell ya what though, it's a nice change that this is the worst thing that's happened to me in the last couple months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Oh good, now my 4-month-old alternator is testing bad, too! 12.3 volts output under load with a known good battery, i watched the third test so I know they're not pulling my leg.

God loving dammit. Manager got Advance to swap my battery out for free, but I'm still on the hook for >$300 since I don't have a place to work on my car anymore.

ugghhhhhhhh

• Locked thread