Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
May I suggest that this month's book be "The Long Earth" by Stephen Baxter and the late Terry Pratchett? A lot of you have probably read it already but it's a really nice piece of scifi with a very unusual premise I've not run into before. Being a Pratchett book, it's also loads of fun :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

Jimmithy posted:

And for those of you who wish to expand their experience by reading some real literature may I suggest the cool and good A Grain of Wheat by Ngugi wa Thiong’o

Well poo poo we didn't even get halfway down the first page before someone decided to be an elitist jerk for no reason :psyduck:

What's wrong with Pratchett? What makes The Long Earth not "real literature"? It's a book. It tells a story. It's a complex and sneaky story told in an absolutely beautifully assembled and described world with detailed characters and at least a few things you won't see coming.

Don't get me wrong, you don't have to like it, but you also don't have to insult it just because you don't like it.

P.S. STR I'M GOING TO BE IN YOUR CITY FOR LIKE FOUR HOURS ON WEDNESDAY

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
I may have come across a little more aggressive in that post than I meant to, but I object to being told that the works of one of my favorite authors are garbage :v:

It's actually a series and the 5th/final book came out this year so you can read them all if you like the first one :3

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

Jimmithy posted:

Relax. I was merely offering an alternative for people who don't enjoy genre fiction. I have never read Pratchett so I can't comment, although I have my suspicions. Perhaps I'll have a look at it when I'm finished with my current book so I can tell you how bad it actually is :v:

I recently suffered mild enjoyment picking apart Neil Gaiman's American Gods, which surprise surprise: it's really bad

Then why did you comment, gosh :v: Nah, we cool. If you've never read any Pratchett though you are really missing out, man. Discworld books are some good poo poo.

E: OH IT'S CORN THAT EXPLAINS IT THEN

Tomarse posted:

I agree however that book of the month generally seems to be too serious for my liking. I prefer lighter entertainment from my reading matter.

This is actually why I suggested The Long Earth. I knew someone would likely come along and suggest something more serious/""deep"", and it felt like it was time for something that more than two people who post here might actually read :v:

literally a fish fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Aug 1, 2016

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
I just wanted to give people the option of a BotM that more than 4 of us might actually read since this is a car forum not a college literature class and we are perhaps not all interested in books for books' sake, but for entertainment and escapism and other things

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
I'm reading this post I'm writing right now

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

fridge corn posted:

I have finished reading The Long Earth

Thoughts? I know it's not your usual sort of thing, but I appreciate that you actually read it :3:

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
In the market for an LQ4/4L80E, spyder? That looks awesome enough to partially redeem my failure :v:

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

the spyder posted:

Oh hell yes, I'll need some more details, but that would save me a ton of parts searching. Plus the freight shipper I work with is pretty awesome and as long as you can get it secured on a pallet/dropped off at the local terminal, it shouldn't cost that much to ship it here.

It's loving on*. I have practically everything you'll need bar the stuff specific to putting it in the Jag, and I'm sure we can get everything palletized/dropped off no problem. I'll PM you my phone # :sun:

* If it fits, which it should, because a full size gen1 SBC fits in a jaaaaaag just fine :v:

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

Safety Dance posted:

They probably know enough to leave running cables to the cable-running professionals.

Hey man, I know my way around a punchdown tool and 8p8c crimper :colbert:

Ain't no way I'm touching anything intended for >1gbps operation though. gently caress STP and gently caress Cat6A connectors.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

meatpimp posted:

I thought he was talking about coming back to buy the LFA.

The woman would probably be cheaper tbh

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
Pffffft like we have any self-respect, IOC.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

angryrobots posted:

You're not alone.

Tide posted:

I don't even know what that is and google confused me on the subject.

Translation: "What sort of self-respecting nerd doesn't have a server full of hard drives to store all their COMPLETELY LEGAL AND IN NO WAY PIRATED digital content"

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
I have that same Titan crimper and iirc Ken recommended it as a "cheap but decent" option in the tools thread, it's worked pretty well thus far

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
that sounds pretty fuckin' awesome, not gonna lie.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
Sounds like you need better friends :smith:

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

Safety Dance posted:

These are the bearings in question. One of them is good, the other's right hosed. You can just barely make out HJ 104 on the right bearing. The left is its twin (also HJ 104), but I've flipped it face down in case that reveals anything interesting.

bog standard ball bearings, get you a decent quality 6004 and carry on

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
There's no MSG/other source of glutamates, and no dextrose, so that's almost certainly incorrect. It's probably a pretty passable approximation for the home gamer, though, lack of a pressure fryer being the main barrier to recreating KFC at home.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
It probably bears no resemblance to what they use today, though. :v:

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
Works for me! MSG makes basically everything with meat in it better. You can also just use a tiny bit of vegemite in your brine/whatever for that glutamate tang :3:

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

Tide posted:

Hows the price on a PC with these specs:
i7-6700 / 3.4 Ghz
8GB RAM
SSD 120 GB
1TB HDD for media
GTX 1070

$1299.99

Yeah, I might be able to save a 100 bucks if I order/build it on my own. The only thing that looks to be maybe suspect is the amount of RAM and a relatively small SSD.

Not too bad, but yeah, the RAM and SSD are a bit ridiculous. 1300 bucks should be getting you a 240GB SSD and 16GB of RAM. Also, 1TB HDDs are lovely $/tb these days, it should be a 2TB or 3TB at that pricepoint (difference in cost is like :20bux:)

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
But how will your rear end feel about it in a few hours?

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
Well that sucks. They're usually pretty good at sorting that stuff out in my experience :(

You should order something through primenow while you're on shift and see if you get handed your own delivery :v:

some texas redneck posted:

Nobody uses Frontier by choice. They use them because they have no other option.

:thejoke:

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

Coredump posted:

I saw a Miata with a Cummins 4bt this weekend.

And you didn't take photos?!

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

fridge corn posted:

Gene Wilder was a hero and a source of personal inspiration for me. One of the all time greats. He will me missed. Namaste

One of the few times we'll agree on things.

Adiabatic posted:

lmao quote != edit

e: legit tho incoming "gently caress 2016" glitter text for two days over some dude that hasn't been relevant for 45 years.

https://twitter.com/ElusiveJ/status/686568077991882753
I wrote a big slab of text about this when Bowie passed so I'm not going to repeat it

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Goodbye, three-year relationship. Jesus christ I wanted you to work out so, so loving badly. It was close, but not close enough. Lord knows we both tried, but better now that in 8 years/a kid. I have been the king of red-flag ignoring in all of my prior relationships, and I couldn't let myself do it again despite how desperately I wanted to. She was a great girl, I wish her only the best.

loving hell, man. Tide, what you got going on this weekend ;-*

edit: What a fantastic page snipe, thank you for that much needed laugh cosmic post Gods

A bit late, but;

E: oh for fucks sake not again it's been so long

That all sounds lovely, Sigma X. It's shittiness all the way down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
The Smithsonian Air and Space Museum Udvar-Hazy Center would be very upset to discover that I have now touched TWO space shuttles :sun:

Holy crap Nonesuch I knew it would be relevant but :catstare:

• Locked thread