Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

sonatinas posted:

Can someone explain to me why Russia is the new boogeyman now? I know that they have some political clout with veto power on the security council and there are concerns about hacking but it seems like it's going to be Red Dawn to these people any second now.

We haven't forgotten 1950-1990, Syria, Ukraine, and an increasingly fractious political environment in both countries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

sonatinas posted:

Can someone explain to me why Russia is the new boogeyman now? I know that they have some political clout with veto power on the security council and there are concerns about hacking but it seems like it's going to be Red Dawn to these people any second now.

It probably has something to do with them invading Ukraine, and also being one of the major forces that propped up Assad in Syria and a major reason the US really didn't want to go in harder.

Also, Putin's kind of a dick.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

sonatinas posted:

They've been far more aggressive lately in trying to take territory, influence our elections and those in Europe? A "boogeyman" implies they aren't a threat/aren't acting even more aggressive then usual.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

sonatinas posted:

It's been made known that the DNC hacks were probably perpetrated by Russian state sponsored hackers. The timing has made people suspicious that they're trying to bring us Lord President Trump.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

TheBigAristotle posted:

Today I learned Gary Johnson is pro-TPP.

Do his new "hey, look everyone, I discovered a third party candidate!" supporters know about this?

My guess is no.

He's the standard libertarian schtick, down to his supporting the (Un)FairTax

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Eifert Posting posted:

Seriously. I've had former fifth grade Korean students message me talking about the Ukraine.

Cassava farmers in a rural Liberian village four hours away from any paved road were worriedly asking us if Trump is going to win. Shortwave radio is still amazing.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

DemeaninDemon posted:

This is probably the best advice ever in uspol that doesn't involve alcohol.

90% of my content posts in the crazy political emails thread comes from coworkers. I've removed them from my feed, but I can't help but go on a safari every now and then to see the stuff they post.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Slate Action posted:

The optimal media strategy would be to bash Trump for a while, then set up a comeback narrative in September. The only thing that truly hurts their ratings is a stagnant race.

Something tells me that the media knows it's played chicken long enough with the possibility of a literal fascist becoming president, and the Khan story has given them enough room to go after him. You'll probably see Fox and CNN pushing the horse race poo poo until October, but outside of that I can't imagine them letting Trump or his team get away with all the poo poo they've given a pass to so far.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

sonatinas posted:

...they recently invaded a sovereign nation and claimed part of it as their own?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

zoux posted:

This won't matter to the average voter but it's a HUGE deal for party insiders.

I've been eagerly waiting for the tipping point where Trump does something so beyond the pale that the GOP elite come out to disown him solely because in 4-8 years they need to make sure another big mouth racist doesn't whip up the base to win the primary at the expense of winning a general election.

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

So the end game here is the media turning against Donald, right? If he pisses off/scorched-earths enough actual news departments instead of fawning leeches, they start covering him like the joke he is and get their ratings from laying into him? And this will enrage downticket repubs enough to take care of the problem?

Yes, maybe? Trump has constantly lied or made outrageous comments that many in his own party attack him for, but everyone who was planning to vote Trump is still planning to vote Trump because they don't really care. It's people so self absorbed with their idea of how things should be and eager to demonize the "other" that literally nothing can sway them.

The Atlantic had a piece with a Trump support, some mid 20s Bay area d-bag who bragged about how his situation makes him the typical Hillary voter but he's Trump all the way. Near the end he talks about wanting to keep illegal immigrant children from competing with his precious hypothetical child because he wants his offspring to have every possible advantage and that means ensuring no one else gets any support whatsoever.
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/05/a-dialogue-with-a-22-year-old-donald-trump-supporter/484232/

quote:

I cannot say openly that I identify with Republicans, lest I see friendships and potential professional connections disappear with those words. When I see Hillary Clinton, I see the world becoming less and less tolerant of right-leaning views.When I see Facebook censoring conservative outlets and then see The Atlantic defending the practice, that worries me. When I see the fear that reddit users have about admins banning subreddits because of political beliefs, that worries me.

His intention to round up 12 million illegal immigrants does not bother me; these people are criminals, are they not? They illegally entered or overstayed their visas. And who says they need to be federal agents? Local police could absolutely do the job. I don't know whether or not you reside in a sanctuary city, but San Francisco prohibits cops from working with immigration enforcement, even with criminals. Why should people who should not be here be allowed to stay after committing another crime?

Long term, illegal immigrants will have children who will compete against my children for university spots and job opportunities. It's admittedly very selfish, but I do want to ensure the greatest advantages I can give them.

I don't know how to describe it, exactly, but I feel in a lot of ways that my identity as a white man is shamed. I am in zero ways a white nationalist or supremacist, and I consider myself a feminist. I will likely sacrifice my career goals, either with fewer hours or relocation as needed, so that my fiancee can pursue her ambitions and goals. But I do not want to be shamed or held back or attacked for just being what I am.

Gorilla Desperado
Oct 9, 2012

TheBigAristotle posted:

Written by a former Washington Times writer, say hello to the lamest attempt at spin ever.

Khizr Khan was tricked into smearing Donald Trump

I hate-watched that show from start-to-finish, getting more and more angry each week. It all paid off with the most cringe-inducing scene in recent TV memory, that sing-along at ADA Jack McCoy's memorial service.

Was just coming here to post this. It's not just lame, he's using every loving trick in the book to smear the Khans. Seriously disgusting.

Gorilla Desperado fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Aug 1, 2016

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Additionally, should I be terrified of the remaining 30,000 DNC emails that Aassange/FSB have? Like, I hope it's just more pointless chatter and work-related material.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

http://twitter.com/EvNeub/status/760151442040598528

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

GalacticAcid posted:

Couple pages back but yeah never read comment sections.

Always read comment sections. That's what the religious right actually believe, don't let yourself be fooled or forget it. Read the comment sections, let them fuel your rage and keep you focused.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Trump is in a fight with the parents of a dead soldier, and has recently insulted firefighters. Someone tell me how we can bait him into going after police officers next.

edrith
Apr 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/bkesling/status/760157018430713856

okay rush

Also the VFW sent out a letter denouncing Trump going after the Khans. He just addressed them last week. Good job.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

pentyne posted:

I've been eagerly waiting for the tipping point where Trump does something so beyond the pale that the GOP elite come out to disown him solely because in 4-8 years they need to make sure another big mouth racist doesn't whip up the base to win the primary at the expense of winning a general election.

Yes, maybe? Trump has constantly lied or made outrageous comments that many in his own party attack him for, but everyone who was planning to vote Trump is still planning to vote Trump because they don't really care. It's people so self absorbed with their idea of how things should be and eager to demonize the "other" that literally nothing can sway them.

The Atlantic had a piece with a Trump support, some mid 20s Bay area d-bag who bragged about how his situation makes him the typical Hillary voter but he's Trump all the way. Near the end he talks about wanting to keep illegal immigrant children from competing with his precious hypothetical child because he wants his offspring to have every possible advantage and that means ensuring no one else gets any support whatsoever.
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/05/a-dialogue-with-a-22-year-old-donald-trump-supporter/484232/

Lmao I hope his Asian fiancé's friends and coworkers don't find this article. Tech money fucks with people's minds I guess.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Star Man posted:

Additionally, should I be terrified of the remaining 30,000 DNC emails that Aassange/FSB have? Like, I hope it's just more pointless chatter and work-related material.

The interesting thing is, if they are sitting on it that might do WikiLeaks more harm. The Dems know exactly what was stolen and exactly what it says by this point. If anything is on it, they have had a month now to prepare for it. The original leak only worked because it caught them off guard.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheBigAristotle posted:

Do his new "hey, look everyone, I discovered a third party candidate!" supporters know about this?

My guess is no.

Anyone going from Bernie Sanders to Gary Johnson is 100% ignorant of one of their sets of policies and is just voting based on wanting to vote for an outsider.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
LOL Trump is blaming Ukraine on Obama.

TheJadedOne
Aug 13, 2004

edrith posted:

https://twitter.com/bkesling/status/760157018430713856

okay rush

Also the VFW sent out a letter denouncing Trump going after the Khans. He just addressed them last week. Good job.

Nope, all it will do is give the dudes who wank off to it more fantasies for if she becomes first lady.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The interesting thing is, if they are sitting on it that might do WikiLeaks more harm. The Dems know exactly what was stolen and exactly what it says by this point. If anything is on it, they have had a month now to prepare for it. The original leak only worked because it caught them off guard.

It didn't even really "work" all that much except to rile up a few hardcore Bernouts. If they had something damning in those emails Assange would be physically unable to resist putting it out there ASAP and basking in the glow of the whistleblowing.

AlouetteNR
Jun 6, 2011
Does anybody know a whole lot about Jeff Flake? I feel like I've seen him name popping up more and more over the past half year, and I feel like he's positioned pretty well to run as a moderate Republican alternative to Hilary in 2020, if he tamps down some of his more extreme positions (like being stridently pro-life, according to his wiki). Does he have any skeletons in his closet, or is he at least just a lovely politician?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Chokes McGee posted:

It didn't even really "work" all that much except to rile up a few hardcore Bernouts. If they had something damning in those emails Assange would be physically unable to resist putting it out there ASAP and basking in the glow of the whistleblowing.

It got DWS fired, which I remember making a punch of Democrats happy.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

TheBigAristotle posted:

My guess is no.

There was an r/politics post with "Gary Johnson supports TPP" and the top comment with hundreds of upvotes was "gently caress, WHO DO I VOTE FOR?"

So some of them know and are being turned off by it, even though I guarantee they can't articulate why exactly they think the TPP is bad.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Dear Rush,

Signed,
This member of the LGBTQ community.

WampaLord posted:

There was an r/politics post with "Gary Johnson supports TPP" and the top comment with hundreds of upvotes was "gently caress, WHO DO I VOTE FOR?"

So some of them know and are being turned off by it, even though I guarantee they can't articulate why exactly they think the TPP is bad.

The most common one I hear is something to do with IP rights. Given TPP is designed to dick over China and China has fucktons of knockoffs, it makes sense there would be a clause protecting IP.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Chokes McGee posted:

Not only that, the only thing with any meat to them were brainstorming things that didn't go anywhere, or people calling each other bitch via emails.

Night10194 posted:

It got DWS fired, which I remember making a punch of Democrats happy.

She was already on her way out, but she gets to leave in disgrace now which is even better.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

A Winner is Jew posted:

Not only that, the only thing with any meat to them were brainstorming things that didn't go anywhere, or people calling each other bitch via emails.

Remember when Assange said he'd release something that would FOR SURE GET HILLARY ARRESTED, THIS TIME FOR REAL! during her acceptance speech and he released nothing? Good times.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Anyone going from Bernie Sanders to Gary Johnson is 100% ignorant of one of their sets of policies and is just voting based on wanting to vote for an outsider.

Honestly, zero of my Facebook friends have said a positive thing about Trump (probably because anyone who would, I've already defriended or hidden them from my timeline). But I've seen a lot of Gary Johnson posts, and I simply point out some of his terrible economic policies and they have nothing to say other than "better than Trump or Hillary!" Seriously, they've only heard that he wants to end the war on drugs and is LGBT friendly and they're like "totally awesome! Vote Johnson!"

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Mahoning posted:

Honestly, zero of my Facebook friends have said a positive thing about Trump (probably because anyone who would, I've already defriended or hidden them from my timeline). But I've seen a lot of Gary Johnson posts, and I simply point out some of his terrible economic policies and they have nothing to say other than "better than Trump or Hillary!" Seriously, they've only heard that he wants to end the war on drugs and is LGBT friendly and they're like "totally awesome! Vote Johnson!"

Libertarians are republicans who want to smoke weed, really.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Clinton's speech was slightly below the historical average

http://www.gallup.com/poll/194084/americans-positive-democratic-gop-convention.aspx?g_source=Election%202016&g_medium=lead&g_campaign=tiles

quote:

The most anticipated event at modern political conventions is the presidential nominee's acceptance speech. Overall, 44% of Americans gave Clinton's speech a positive rating, saying it was either "excellent" or "good." That is significantly higher than the 35% who rated Trump's speech positively. In fact, as many Americans rated Trump's speech negatively, saying it was "poor" or "terrible."

Trump's speech was rated less positively than any Gallup has asked about since 1996. The positive rating of Clinton's speech is slightly below the historical average of 47%, but similar to Barack Obama's 2012 acceptance speech. Obama's 2008 speech got the highest percentage of positive ratings at 58%.

I have a feeling some of this relates more to the increase polarization than the actual quality of speeches.

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Aug 1, 2016

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Kentucky news:

So governor Bevin recently dissolved the entire board at University of Louisville.

He then replaced the board with 10 of his friends from church and 3 others, not sure where they came from.

Right now there's a lawsuit filed saying essentially "the governor can't just remove people without cause."

Turns out, one of the requirements for accreditation from SACS, the group that provides UofL's accreditation, is that a school's board cannot lose members without cause.

Most people said this wouldn't be that big of a deal, SACS wouldn't actually de-accredit Louisville.

At a hearing two weeks back, we found out SACS has actually started an investigation into the governor's plan and stated it could cause loss of accreditation though they said it would take time to complete.

Fortunately, Friday, a judge blocked Bevin's new board from making any decisions until the lawsuit is complete, granting a temporary injunction.

From the wording of the ruling on the temporary injunction, it really sounds like Bevin is going to lose.
Bevin's actual no-poo poo argument was that he didn't remove any members of the board, he simply abolished the board and some members happened to be on it at the time.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Mahoning posted:

A vote for Johnson isn't a vote for Trump at least!

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Star Man posted:

Assange is saying its stuff thats like, really really bad this time.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The most common reaction to it I saw was 'Clinton Sticks the Landing', namely that it was kind of average but that the DNC as a whole went so well that it was good enough.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Luna Was Here posted:

Assange is saying its stuff thats like, really really bad this time.

But is it as bad as the Putin dick breath he has?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Took this photo today.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/sopandeb/status/760169162249539584

These people absolutely cannot be reasoned with. Forget about throwing facts and charts at them on Facebook. They're just going to believe whatever makes them feel comfortable.

pentyne posted:

Mark my words, the tipping point will be if/when Trump is down 10-15 points or more late in the race and is no longer a viable candidate. That's when you'll see all the mainstream and elite republicans finally find their morals and withdraw their support instead of just strongly denouncing him.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Mahoning posted:

Soooo... basically Ron Paul supporters?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

Took this photo today.

Makes sense to me. He supports the Democrats because they have great Chemtrail Skill.

• Locked thread