Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Rheinhold is gonna call you racist soon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
I appreciate that everyone is trying to get paid and do the Conor thing, but it feels a lot different coming from Woodley, a guy with no personality whose last fight was a boring split decision over Kelvin Gastelum which no one enjoyed a year and a half ago. THe reason Diaz is popular is because he has an actual personality, fights whoever and has fun fights. So clearly to imitate that success you should be the exact opposite, but call out Nick diaz and pray he fights you

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

quote:

"[Wonderboy] wasn't me five months ago because he hasn't been in the sport long enough," Woodley said. "You've got to realize that even before this, I was fighting top-10 competition in Strikeforce. Paul Daley was the ninth-ranked overall welterweight when I was competing against him, off of a fight (that was) one of the best first rounds in MMA when he fought Nick Diaz.

Good pull here, referencing 5 years ago when Woodley fought the like 6th best Welterweight in Strikeforce, who was coming off of an exciting fight with Nick diaz (and then went to a boring decision nobody remembers at all with Woodley)

But its true that Wonderboy hasnt been in the sport long enough, he started his pro career 1 year after Woodley, the amount of time Woodley took as vacation after a split decision win, in which Wonderboy knocked out Ellenberger with a spinning back kick, KOd Hendricks and beat Rory mcdonald

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

manyak posted:

Good pull here, referencing 5 years ago when Woodley fought the like 6th best Welterweight in Strikeforce, who was coming off of an exciting fight with Nick diaz (and then went to a boring decision nobody remembers at all with Woodley)

But its true that Wonderboy hasnt been in the sport long enough, he started his pro career 1 year after Woodley, the amount of time Woodley took as vacation after a split decision win, in which Wonderboy knocked out Ellenberger with a spinning back kick, KOd Hendricks and beat Rory mcdonald

hahahahaha

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

manyak posted:

Well put

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Tyron Woodley is ducking Jake Shields, Nick Diaz is justifiably not fighting him any time soon.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

manyak posted:

Someone just show Tyron this clip when he wants to talk about Wonderboy not facing the same level of competition he did:

https://streamable.com/l1ih

Wonderboy handily beat a guy who made Woodley cower on the fence and then mocked him.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD

manyak posted:

Lmao

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Tyron isn't even a real name

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

manyak posted:

Hmm.... tyron woodley sucks

Hai

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Some Brazilian sites are reporting that Erick Silva and Brandon Thatch are gonna fight on a card in Brazil. I guess the bloom has come off the rose a bit on those two but that should still be fun.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I think Brandon Thatch is kind of bad and Erick Silva is good enough to kill him standing or on the ground before he gasses.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

1st AD posted:

I think Brandon Thatch is kind of bad and Erick Silva is good enough to kill him standing or on the ground before he gasses.

i don't think i agree with any of this. but hey, you could be right. it's a good fight.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

The UFC should use this as an opportunity to test run scheduling a fight for only one round instead of wasting that extra ten minutes on their schedule.

TimeWaster
Nov 1, 2011
The lead up to 202 seems like the hype is firmly in Nate's corner which is entirely different to the original fight so much so that I don't really understand Conor's risk/reward benefit for the rematch anymore. If he wins he's proven that he can beat a "bigger man" (who he happens to be the same weight as :shrug:) If he loses everyone gets to laugh to him again and I'm not sure he really keeps the glow of being the FW Champ.

The original fight only happened because he was challenging for the LW Title so it's odd that he wouldn't swallow the Nate loss or laugh it off and re-book the LW Title (now against Alvarez I guess). Pride is an interesting characteristic.

afatwhiteloaf
Oct 19, 2012
Nate's bigger than Conor. He cuts more weight to make 155 than Conor would.

And they're having a rematch because it made both of them a lot of money and coming off a loss to Diaz he had no place to demand a title fight and didn't want to fight Frankie or rematch Aldo.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
after conor / nate 2 was signed there was that card in la, and when nate appeared on camera with dana the crowd pop was almost unbelievable. everybody loves nate.

i'm interested as to how many irish show up in support now that the sheen has been taken of conor and there is a very good chance he's going to be bashed up again.

TimeWaster
Nov 1, 2011

afatwhiteloaf posted:

And they're having a rematch because it made both of them a lot of money and coming off a loss to Diaz he had no place to demand a title fight and didn't want to fight Frankie or rematch Aldo.

Of course, I'm dumb. For some reason I kept thinking Nate was a WW. Carry on...

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

i don't think nate cut to 169 and conor weighed in at 168. they're pretty much the exact same weight.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

afatwhiteloaf posted:

Conor would knock out Frankie just like he knocked out Mendes. Conor will be Aldo again.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Marching Powder posted:

after conor / nate 2 was signed there was that card in la, and when nate appeared on camera with dana the crowd pop was almost unbelievable. everybody loves nate.

i'm interested as to how many irish show up in support now that the sheen has been taken of conor and there is a very good chance he's going to be bashed up again.

Ricky Hatton's travelling fandom remained pretty resilient even after Mayweather and Pac nearly decapitated him; I suspect that Connor's will be similarly difficult to dislodge.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

Conor would knock out Frankie just like he knocked out Mendes. Conor will be Aldo again.

i don't think i agree with any of this but hey you could be right

fatherdog posted:

Ricky Hatton's travelling fandom remained pretty resilient even after Mayweather and Pac nearly decapitated him; I suspect that Connor's will be similarly difficult to dislodge.

i hope so. it creates a pretty unique atmosphere

afatwhiteloaf
Oct 19, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

I didn't say either would beat him, I'm saying he didn't want to fight them, because he could make more money fighting Diaz.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

manyak posted:

Ahahahaha, one doesn't even have to embellish what a turd he is, you only have to remember the recent past and then write it down word for word on a sheet

Eat Bum Zen
Jul 19, 2013

*mumbles*
Rated T for Teen

afatwhiteloaf posted:

I didn't say either would beat him, I'm saying he didn't want to fight them, because he could make more money fighting Diaz.

Yeah

Fighters are now more than ever discovering the secret money making techniques of having a personality and generating buzz, which is really really cool and I'm happy for them understanding that

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Mr. Nice! posted:

nah. maybe.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Jakey Jake has wins over the last two welterweight champs, and a spiritual win over gsp

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
I have only seen three woodley fights (koscheck, shields, Lawler) and the knock out from the marquardt fight and have never seen or heard him speak. My opinion on him is the opposite of whatever bundt's is

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

fatherdog posted:

all the best fighters have horrible devastating losses like Chuck, GSP, Lawler but people want to point and laugh at Conor when he loses because they don't like him for saying insane crap like that he would beat Chad Mendes or Jose Aldo.

the fake outrage that Conor is ruining or somehow holding up the featherweight division and should vacate is dumb too since without him the interm title fight was Aldo vs. Edgar again except less competitive and less exciting.

I don't really care who wins at 202 but I hope Conor beats Aldo again after then fights and maybe lsoes back to back to Doo Ho Choi and TKZ in 2017.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

handsome only face posted:

I don't really care who wins at 202 but I hope Conor beats Aldo again after then fights and maybe lsoes back to back to Doo Ho Choi and TKZ in 2017.

:yeah:

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

handsome only face posted:

people want to point and laugh at Conor when he loses because they don't like him for saying insane crap like that he would beat Chad Mendes or Jose Aldo.

the fake outrage that Conor is ruining or somehow holding up the featherweight division and should vacate is dumb too since without him the interm title fight was Aldo vs. Edgar again except less competitive and less exciting.

I don't like him because he was fed opponents that catered to his style and the UFC hyped the gently caress out of him like he's the GOAT. He beat Mendes on a 10 day camp. I can respect his KO over Aldo, and I LOVE his fake bravado trash talk. But the fact that he immediately got a title shot at 155 was LOL, his loss to Cabo Nate was amazing. The fact this rematch is happening is dumb. And the 145 title was held up because Conor wanted to be Conor. Conor should stay at 145 and continue to fight midgets.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

david carmichael posted:

I have only seen three woodley fights (koscheck, shields, Lawler) and the knock out from the marquardt fight and have never seen or heard him speak. My opinion on him is the opposite of whatever bundt's is

I agree w/ manyak

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

JaySB posted:

I don't like him because he was fed opponents that catered to his style and the UFC hyped the gently caress out of him like he's the GOAT. He beat Mendes on a 10 day camp. I can respect his KO over Aldo, and I LOVE his fake bravado trash talk. But the fact that he immediately got a title shot at 155 was LOL, his loss to Cabo Nate was amazing. The fact this rematch is happening is dumb. And the 145 title was held up because Conor wanted to be Conor. Conor should stay at 145 and continue to fight midgets.

No offense but arent you like the same height as Chad mendes irl?

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
I don't like him because the Max Holloway fight was bad and at this point I'm committed

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Bundt Cake posted:

I agree w/ manyak

Then woodley is good and cool.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Bundt Cake posted:

I agree w/ manyak

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Without checking my first assumption is that it's a Johny type thing where everyone says he's boring. Except johny has like a pile of devastating first round kos, a pile of fight of the nights, a few fight of the years, etc.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

manyak posted:

No offense but arent you like the same height as Chad mendes irl?

:lol: pretty sure you're right

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
If I was 5'6" or whatever I would kill myself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

david carmichael posted:

Without checking my first assumption is that it's a Johny type thing where everyone says he's boring. Except johny has like a pile of devastating first round kos, a pile of fight of the nights, a few fight of the years, etc.

I dont even like Johny but hes no Johny. He has a bunch of KOs for sure but he will never ever be in a Fight of the Night, he either lands an overhand right or he gives up and literally cowers against the fence. I respect not wanting to watch fights but if you just watch this couple second clip from the Rory fight this is what the entire thing was: https://streamable.com/l1ih

He also almost lost (bad split decision) to Jordan mein in a fight in which he spent literally the entire fight on top, he never attempted to pass or throw a single GNP strike and Mein badly beat him up from the bottom

Anyway though, it will definitely become a good contrarian thing to like Woodley because ive never seen anyone say theyre a fan of his and personally it will irritate me for sure when people start pretending to be

• Locked thread