Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

origami posted:

I think Conor is entertaining and has cool fights and I eagerly look forward to him winning or (most likely) losing against Nate Diaz

i have a feeling that he'll win but i'm not sure why

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
Guy wearing jiu jitsu shirt picks Conor? For shame.

mistakinder
Mar 19, 2010

YES

Foul Fowl posted:

Because Nate is on a two win streak and overdue a loss?

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Foul Fowl posted:

If you forced me to pick one, I'd say Nate takes it in the rematch, but I also think it's entirely possible that Conor is able to stop him in the first or second.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Its too bad that Lawler died but not everyone can hold the belt for 10 years at a time

TheUltimateDoofus
May 21, 2016
overeem is going to be champ soon

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Left Hook Larry and Right Hook Reem, two English champs in one year.

Unless he loses, then he's dutch again.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

quote:

In the standing position, a fighter that moves their arm(s) toward their opponent with an open hand, fingers pointing at the opponent's face/eyes, will be a foul. 

I hope they call this the Jon Jones rule.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

mistakinder posted:

Because Nate is on a two win streak and overdue a loss?

moreso that conor's childish tantrums have obscured the fact that he's a meticulous strategist, and i don't think he'll mind making it a really ugly fight so he won't rack up two losses in a row. maybe i'm dead wrong but i kinda think we'll see a lot of oblique kicks and lateral movement and whatever else conor can do to avoid trading punches with nate which is always gonna be a losing game for him.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Foul Fowl posted:

moreso that conor's childish tantrums have obscured the fact that he's a meticulous strategist

I don't believe him or Kavanagh when they claim they don't bother training for their opponent's style, but I don't believe this other extreme is true either.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

red19fire posted:

I hope they call this the Jon Jones rule.

What does this mean for the Stockton slap.

Also is the Stockton slap dumb, or do they only throw it when a punch isn't possible?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

The most appropriate video promo was "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot" for Anderson/Weidman 2, because it in fact resulted in someone having to carry him home

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Bluedeanie posted:

I don't believe him or Kavanagh when they claim they don't bother training for their opponent's style, but I don't believe this other extreme is true either.

i don't think it's too much of a stretch considering everything we know about him. he figured out everyone he fought at featherweight really easily, including the best featherweight of all time.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

TheUltimateDoofus posted:

overeem is going to be champ soon

Minakov is going to be so pissed

TheUltimateDoofus
May 21, 2016
this was so good

TheUltimateDoofus
May 21, 2016
the cool thing about overeem as the new late career resurgence guy is that it won't be heartbreaking when he gets ko'd. it will be comforting, a return to the time before the woodley era, when there was joy in the world.

outy
Aug 27, 2004

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

What does this mean for the Stockton slap.

Also is the Stockton slap dumb, or do they only throw it when a punch isn't possible?

The slap is demoralising; a way of humiliating your opponent and asserting your dominance. It is the ultimate challenge to their manhood.
In days gone by Nathan would have used a silk glove for the same effect.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
It's good to slap your opponent. It's like in tthe one rousey fight where I don't remember who is doing buttscoot and rousey leans over and punches her directly in the boob. Effective? Not really. But it lets your opponent know that you don't like them, and if you see them in the hospital later you're going to fight them again.

mistakinder
Mar 19, 2010

YES
Groin strikes should be fair game. If you can check a leg kick you can check a nut shot. Everyone gets kicked in the bollocks at least once a fight now anyway, I'm sure Matt Brown would rather take one to the balls than his poor old liver

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

TheUltimateDoofus posted:

this was so good

yeah, he's been fuckin guys up lately

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Skip My Posts posted:

That hook he put JDS out with was nasty.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Skip My Posts posted:

he's never really not been loving guys up except for those blips with mir and roy

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
I like overeem and look forward to him winning

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Triticum Guzzler posted:

he's never really not been loving guys up except for those blips with mir and roy

True. He hasn't gotten hosed up brutally in a while

2 fat 4 my lambo
Oct 9, 2003

WEED POOP

Triticum Guzzler posted:

in fairness, roy did kind of get hosed up

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

Bluedeanie posted:

It's funny they've been saying that but now for this Nate fight they've been bringing in world class BJJ guys and tall, lengthy boxers for Conor to train with. Nate was finally the guy that Conor really needed to prep for.

TheUltimateDoofus
May 21, 2016

2 fat 4 my lambo posted:

in fairness, roy did kind of get hosed up

incredible

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Le Saboteur posted:

It's funny they've been saying that but now for this Nate fight they've been bringing in world class BJJ guys and tall, lengthy boxers for Conor to train with. Nate was finally the guy that Conor really needed to prep for.

That was the whole crux of the press conference thing. Conor will fight anybody, anytime, anywhere at any weight, it doesn't matter they will all fall - except for Nate, for whom his camp needed to be uninterrupted because Nate's bigger than him

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Work Friend Keven posted:

It's good to slap your opponent. It's like in tthe one rousey fight where I don't remember who is doing buttscoot and rousey leans over and punches her directly in the boob. Effective? Not really. But it lets your opponent know that you don't like them, and if you see them in the hospital later you're going to fight them again.

She's like a Diaz brother.

In a beautiful loving- *is immediately executed*

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Best Friends posted:

She's like a Diaz brother.

In a beautiful loving- *is immediately executed*

I don't think either of the Diaz brothers have run out to the woods with Travis Browne yet.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Without Travis Browne? Yes. Repeatedly. But with him? No.

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

Le Saboteur posted:

Conor finally has a guy who he can't bully because he's far smaller than him. Conor should start bragging more about his ability to weight cut since that's his true skill.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Scapegoat posted:

Conor finally has a guy who he can't bully because he's far smaller than him. Conor should start bragging more about his ability to weight cut since that's his true skill.

lol

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Gonna heat my dinner with that hot take.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Scapegoat posted:

retarded

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Foul Fowl posted:

moreso that conor's childish tantrums have obscured the fact that he's a meticulous strategist, and i don't think he'll mind making it a really ugly fight so he won't rack up two losses in a row. maybe i'm dead wrong but i kinda think we'll see a lot of oblique kicks and lateral movement and whatever else conor can do to avoid trading punches with nate which is always gonna be a losing game for him.

He does the same things in every single fight, down to throwing the same tkd/capoeira kicks that always miss by a country mile at the same point in the first round. It's like he's performing choreography. It's not at all hard to believe that he doesn't prepare specifically. He does the same foot work, etc. against everyobe

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
But also almost everyday does the exact same things no matter who they are fighting and what their gameplan is. It's very rare that someone adds a new wrinkle to their game effectively for just one opponent, and even more rare when someone abandons their usual habits and finds success.

I can think of lots of people failing miserably with opponent specific gameplans, but not a lot of success stories of guys really stepping out of their comfort zone

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

mistakinder posted:

Groin strikes should be fair game. If you can check a leg kick you can check a nut shot. Everyone gets kicked in the bollocks at least once a fight now anyway, I'm sure Matt Brown would rather take one to the balls than his poor old liver

gently caress it just make UFC a contest where both guys kick each other in the balls until one of them quits

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

david carmichael posted:

But also almost everyday does the exact same things no matter who they are fighting and what their gameplan is. It's very rare that someone adds a new wrinkle to their game effectively for just one opponent, and even more rare when someone abandons their usual habits and finds success.

remember the time juanito ibarra spent a whole camp with rampage trying to bring his jab up a few inches because forrest griffin is tall, then he almost got leg kick tko'd and lost a 10-8 by getting mounted for one whole hour in a single five minute round

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

The problem with game planning like some fans seem to expect is that a fighter isnt an rpg character. You cant just put effort in at bjj and magically get better than nate or put in some time wrestling and be suddenly able to grind on nate for 5 rounds.

You tweak what youre good at enough to be able to be effective at it by exploiting your opponents weaknesses.

Conors path to victory against Nate is staying outside of his boxing range through the use of kicks to the legs and body and change up often. The problem is like anyone who fights a diaz keeping up the necessary pace is something only a handful of guys have ever been able to do and similarly being able to survive the diaz onslaught when you inevitably get tired and start getting hit.

I fully expect Conor to look fantastic in the first round and start to wilt half way through the second into the third where he'll cop a battering in the latter rounds.

Conors talent has always been giving just enough ground without taking damage to land that kill shot. Even when he wasnt finishing guys he was getting the ascendency in the fight through those talents. Nates jab game is just too good and his unyielding pace and pressure is a bad mix for conor.

Diaz wont just rush in, he doesnt get frustrated on the feet and is content just to stand back a flip you off till he gets his chance to go to work.

• Locked thread