Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

its a very good song

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolCat
Jun 29, 2015

mariooncrack posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_I-4Bmhdadk

This was probably the peak of "MMA rules" matches in TNA.

Actually, this may be the peak of TNA too.

I honestly think TNA peaked with their first match, which was a decade ago. Pretty sure that was the best buyrate they ever did, and although they drew a bigger house down the road, I don't think the TNA product ever carried more excitement or promise than at this time. Of course, they went and hosed it all up a very long time ago and now it is what it is.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

what if impact was just always in a cage.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

CoolCat posted:

I honestly think TNA peaked with their first match, which was a decade ago. Pretty sure that was the best buyrate they ever did, and although they drew a bigger house down the road, I don't think the TNA product ever carried more excitement or promise than at this time. Of course, they went and hosed it all up a very long time ago and now it is what it is.

If there were any sentence to describe TNA, it'd be "TNA had a ton of excitement, but they went and hosed it up all."

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I remember the very start of Aces and Eights being pretty good. I think that was mainly because several people needed to get shoot surgery so there were people they could kayfabe kick the poo poo out of and send off of TV for weeks which made them look tough. But because TNA is TNA, they hosed it because if there's one thing they don't know how to do it's run a stable. It's like they looked at the Higher Power and the NWO and then decided to combine them but only take the terrible parts of both those things.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

El Estrago Bonito posted:

I remember the very start of Aces and Eights being pretty good. I think that was mainly because several people needed to get shoot surgery so there were people they could kayfabe kick the poo poo out of and send off of TV for weeks which made them look tough. But because TNA is TNA, they hosed it because if there's one thing they don't know how to do it's run a stable. It's like they looked at the Higher Power and the NWO and then decided to combine them but only take the terrible parts of both those things.

2012 for TNA was an interesting year. They had a lot of really good matches and the feuds were entertaining. The problem was that they made two mistakes in my mind:

1. Putting the belt on Austin Aries (which wasn't necessarily a mistake, as he was very hot at the time, but it did ruin the potential Storm vs Roode blood feud end for the title.
2. The end of the Bound for Glory series. Had Roode been champion, Storm would have been the logical choice, to set up his redemption and revenge on Roode, but probably wouldn't have done much with Aries. With Aries being champion, a match against Joe would have been fine because they had a match at Slammiversary which was great. Ray winning would have worked as long as he won through A&8 shenanigans and was revealed as the leader.

However, Jeff Hardy's contract was up and, well, gotta keep him happy, right?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Super No Vacancy posted:

you're not a real reporter until the editor in chief slips a freshly laminated press pass under the band of your hat

It has to say "SCOOP"

Phenix Rising posted:

I can't remember if anyone gives a poo poo about spoilers in this thread, but here ya go.

It really does look like they took the corpse of a recently deceased germaphobe and propped it up in the ring, suit and all.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

The Impact tapings legit ended with everyone getting in the ring and having a HUGE PARTY

https://twitter.com/MrJacobCohen/status/765000606008352768/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

flashy_mcflash posted:

The Impact tapings legit ended with everyone getting in the ring and having a HUGE PARTY

https://twitter.com/MrJacobCohen/status/765000606008352768/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

I guess they got paid?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Super No Vacancy posted:

its a very good song

Grado would be a main eventer if TNA could afford to pay for it.

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things

coconono posted:

I guess they got paid?

More likely their checks were used to pay the licensing fees. "You're getting paid by this segment airing!"

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
TNA pays its talent with exposure. That's priceless, you know.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

coconono posted:

I guess they got paid?

Who knows? But a gigantic, maybe entire, part of TNA's social media strategy at this point is them saying "See?? SEEE??? Everyone loves being in TNA and the morale is very good!" despite no one really talking about or caring about the state of their morale anymore.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

coconono posted:

I guess they got paid?

Reports indicate this is false.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Should have played "No Chance In Hell"*.

*of getting paid in a timely manner.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!
Not the first time they've done that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vk-se8xHFmo

Aside from Grado and Galloway knowing how to work a crowd a lot of the TNA wrestlers work with other companies as well so they want the people attending the show to have fun and feel good about themselves so they'll come and see them again, maybe in a local show. Doesn't necessarily mean that morale is sky high in the locker room.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

mariooncrack posted:

I remember Meltzer getting super-hyped about how this is what pro-wrestling's gonna look like in the 2010's & it never happened.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I wish it had, I love that match.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Dance parties are always Cool and Good IMHO, especially if super dastardly heels and/or big bruisers like Moose are just gettin' down out of nowhere.

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

dsriggs posted:

I remember Meltzer getting super-hyped about how this is what pro-wrestling's gonna look like in the 2010's & it never happened.

Heyman's also real into "worked MMA" as a model for pro wrestling's future, and with how many up and coming indie dudes have shoot fighter styles and legit backgrounds, I can't really imagine it won't end up building a place in a major company.

Dunno if that company should have been TNA though.

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014

mariooncrack posted:

This is my first time seeing this match and it was quite good!

How did TNA follow it up? I assume with something stupid.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

ThePariah posted:

Scott Steiner joining the feud and Angle getting hurt

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

ThePariah posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFoC3TR5rzI

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Sad news

https://twitter.com/ShellyFromCali/status/765570962947395584

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

Angular Landbury posted:

Heyman's also real into "worked MMA" as a model for pro wrestling's future, and with how many up and coming indie dudes have shoot fighter styles and legit backgrounds, I can't really imagine it won't end up building a place in a major company.

Dunno if that company should have been TNA though.

I don't think it will happen because wrestling isn't about being a simulated fight any more, it's about being Good Wrestling. I think older fans wanted to see a fight, whereas more fans now want to see a "great match" (i.e. a great performance). It's exemplified by something Meltzer has talked about, how "I know it's fake, but if it were real, who would win?" was an incredibly common question back in the day, and nobody asks that now. We had shoot style from 1984ish and it died out for a reason—those fans moved on from realistic fake fights to real fights. Which is a shame because I love the stuff.

Spermgod fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Aug 17, 2016

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

Spermgod posted:

I don't think it will happen because wrestling isn't about being a simulated fight any more, it's about being Good Wrestling. I think older fans wanted to see a fight, whereas more fans now want to see a "great match" (i.e. a great performance). It's exemplified by something Meltzer has talked about, how "I know it's fake, but if it were real, who would win?" was an incredibly common question back in the day, and nobody asks that now. We had shoot style from 1984ish and it died out for a reason—those fans moved on from realistic fake fights to real fights. Which is a shame because I love the stuff.

I think there's validity to that statement, but there's at least some novelty to having a legit tough guy that fans appreciate. Brock is a really good example of this - IMO he has gotten tremendously lazy in the ring, to a point that should make people turn on him, but his UFC career and general reputation buys him a lot of goodwill.

Anecdotal, but my local indies have a LOT of dudes from BJJ and Kickboxing coming in and out of there. The brief time I was training in pro wrestling, the instructors based the curriculum around an MMA training framework.

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
E: Wrong loving thread! Sincerest apologies.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Spermgod posted:

Best wrestlers in recent history:
Andre
Hogan
Savage
Austin
Rock
Cena
Punk
E&C
New Day

No one cares about talent. Personality is 100% the future of the Biz.

Push Broken Matt Hardy.

edit:
Cynical version of post: To get over you need to have a good entrance and catchphrases people can chant along with.

Jonny Nox fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Aug 17, 2016

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Nobody cares about talent no excuse me while I post some of the most talented wrestlers ever

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

dsriggs posted:

I also remember Alvarez being very insistent on it.

Also I have no desire to really rewatch the match but I remember being extremely sour on it.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

ThePariah posted:

Joe went on to feud with a bunch of washed up older wrestlers who weren't interested in doing much or having good matches. Then in a desperate attempt to have something memorable about that title run he did this:

In the match where he lost the title to Sting. After that he was generally poorly used and from then on all of Samoa Joe's storylines were "Bringing back the old Samoa Joe", which involved having Taz as a manager, being kidnapped by fat ninjas in cargo shorts, having a dick tattoo on his face and having a bad mohawk. Joe also gained a bunch of weight and while he never had bad matches he was never really in a position to have great matches again. Then he went to NXT where he is awesome. Turns out the best way to bring back the old Samoa Joe is to not have him be booked by a loving idiot.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
I've enjoyed him in NXT but I wouldn't say he's been awesome. The one time it REALLY seemed like we were getting The Old Joe they hosed it up by having to stop the match to clean the blood off him every couple of minutes.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I still want to see Joe/Roman and Joe/Dean really bad.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Joe/Rusev is a low-key dream match for me.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
both Joe/Roman and Joe/Rusev would ideally be booked like actual fights and not a great wrestling match, which is why I want to see them really goddamn bad

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I used not to care for Rusev, but he's grown on me. Gonna be weird when he inevitably turns face, though.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Joe/Brock is never happening and that makes me very sad.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent

Gonzo McFee posted:

Samoa Joe's crazy dive
The look on his face immediately after really gets me. I know I'm reading too much into it, but it really seems like a Ralph Wiggum "exact second his heart rips in half" moment.

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

Phenix Rising posted:

I can't remember if anyone gives a poo poo about spoilers in this thread, but here ya go.

Corgan looks like he's turning into Principal Strickland

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ZDar Fan posted:

Corgan looks like he's turning into Principal Strickland

Well the last thing you want in your wrestling promotion is slackers, right?

• Locked thread