Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks

bewbies posted:

God drat I did not even realize Britton had been that dominant and I even have him on my fantasy team. He could end up having a better year than Wade Davis did the last two years and those are the two best seasons a RP has ever had so he's going to win Cy Young, right?

It's hard to justify giving the Cy Young to somebody who might only pitch like, 65 innings this year. Eric Gagne's Cy Young year is probably the actual best season a RP has ever had, and it might have set the benchmark for what you need to pitch like in order to win the award.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
N: Yankees trade Ben Gamel to Seattle for a pair of pitchers in Rookie ball (Juan DePaula and Jio Orozco.)

V: Clearly I need to start picking minor leaguers I don't like for my avatar :sigh:

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Rich Hill scratched with a blister

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Some Numbers posted:

What about Happ?

No Blue Jay is going to get the Cy this year. Happ, Sanchez and Estrada have all had surprisingly good seasons but none of them are exciting enough to get real Cy attention. They're just grinding out quality starts, giving up a lot of hits and getting a lot of groundouts and double-plays. Nothing flashy.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe
Also I was watching some ESPN MLB summary show being rebroadcast on UK TV and two idiots in suits were arguing about the best shortstop in baseball and Tulo wasn't in either's top ten. Wtf?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
It was cool for that week or so when Royals fans were trying to convince themselves Danny Duffy had a shot at the AL Cy Young. It says more about the race this year than anything and they were delusional anyway, but it was still cool.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

No Safe Word posted:

N: Carlos Gomez just hit a grand slam

V: gently caress that guy :mad: also the Rangers

I was sick of hearing about him doing good things too, but then I looked at his numbers with the Rangers and it looks like he's slashing .136/.136/.273 with 11 Ks in 22 PA. So don't worry, he's still the same terrible Carlos Gomez.

That said, being a Houston fan, I'm fully prepared to cry when he torches the Stros this weekend (then goes on another 0 for 20 streak).

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

shadok posted:

Also I was watching some ESPN MLB summary show being rebroadcast on UK TV and two idiots in suits were arguing about the best shortstop in baseball and Tulo wasn't in either's top ten. Wtf?

Im a Tulo fan and he might be the 8th or 11th best shortstop in the league now. He regressed offensively a lot since leaving the Rockies. There are a few rookies SS this year that are better then Tulo.

edit: 13th in MLB SS for WAR this year

patonthebach fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Aug 31, 2016

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

patonthebach posted:

Im a Tulo fan and he might be the 8th or 11th best shortstop in the league now. He regressed offensively a lot since leaving the Rockies. There are a few rookies SS this year that are better then Tulo.

I'm not saying he's the best or even that he makes top 5 but if your top 10 doesn't have him on it this year then you haven't been paying attention to the Blue Jays at all. Which, admittedly, a lot of Americans don't.

My favourite part of every Yankees defeat is reading about it in the New York Times because it forces the NYT to admit that the Toronto Blue Jays are a real thing that exists.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Shinjobi posted:

I couldn't tell you what I expect from the Rangers in the playoffs, but they have the weirdest stats about comebacks and winning one run games this season.

A propos: http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-texas-rangers-are-making-unsustainable-history-in-one-run-games/

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

shadok posted:

I'm not saying he's the best or even that he makes top 5 but if your top 10 doesn't have him on it this year then you haven't been paying attention to the Blue Jays at all. Which, admittedly, a lot of Americans don't.

My favourite part of every Yankees defeat is reading about it in the New York Times because it forces the NYT to admit that the Toronto Blue Jays are a real thing that exists.

Didi is having a better year than Tulo :colbert:

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Inspector_666 posted:

Didi is having a better year than Tulo :colbert:

:agreed:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

So..."probably not gonna mean anything, but still crazy." So no real change on my understanding of it. It's a bizarre stat to have, and it's fun to be a dick and talk about clutch a ton, but as always playoffs will be the real test. As they always are.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Yaya posted:

It's hard to justify giving the Cy Young to somebody who might only pitch like, 65 innings this year. Eric Gagne's Cy Young year is probably the actual best season a RP has ever had, and it might have set the benchmark for what you need to pitch like in order to win the award.
And it was still a stupid, stupid choice.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

shelby miller pitched 6 innings and gave up 2 runs. maybe he is fixed?? i will Print the Shirts for next year then

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

shadok posted:

It's reasonable to not have Tulo as an MLB top-10 SS this year.

Tulo stats with MLB qualified rank:
wRC+ - 107 (11th)
fWAR - 2.1 (14th)
bWAR - 2.4 (11th)
OBP - .322 (14th)
SLG - .461 (7th)

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I didn't realize the backdrops on MLB.com's gamecast is the stadium from MLB The Show video game.

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

Shinjobi posted:

So..."probably not gonna mean anything, but still crazy." So no real change on my understanding of it. It's a bizarre stat to have, and it's fun to be a dick and talk about clutch a ton, but as always playoffs will be the real test. As they always are.

The MLB playoffs are really not much of a test of anything

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Hand Knit posted:

They were actually 74-57 this time last year, as opposed to the 75-57 they are right now.

On the other hand, their run differential was far better at this point last year (+191 as opposed to +104). The big differences are probably not having Chris Colabello pull an amazing year out his rear end, Bautista being injured for a bunch of 2016, and the bullpen being legit pretty not good for most of this year (as opposed to last year when it was very good all year but mysteriously unlucky for a long while). It also looks like Edwin, Martin, and Bautista (when he has played) just haven't been quite as good as they were last year.

Yeah, some Jays fans are really negative about this year's team, but seem to forget how dire things seemed in July last year. Like, we all knew they were a good team (between run differential and their atrocious one-run game record), but it took them playing .700 ball in the final two months to make the playoffs. This year's team, at least since May, have been a good team that have faced some slight bumps in the road. Maybe I am just used to watching a team that is out of the running in July, but this is a seriously good team and I am not sure how anyone can be pessimistic about that.

Oh right, sports fans.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the baseball playoffs are the dumbest poo poo that's ever been invented, he writes preemptively

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

TheChaosPath posted:

The MLB playoffs are really not much of a test of anything

I thought the Rangers were going to the world series last season. Then Blue Jays.

So I'm going to disagree with you there.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

And it was still a stupid, stupid choice.

Nah

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

I thought the Rangers were going to the world series last season. Then Blue Jays.

So I'm going to disagree with you there.

And then the Blue Jays got beat by a Royals team virtually everyone agreed was less talented. Nobody knows what will happen. All you need is a ticket to the dance

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Red Sox are apparently calling up Yoan Moncada on Friday. Be fun to see what he can do with his cup of coffee.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
I missed todays game but Ricky Nolasco pitched a shutout against the Reds and the Angels won without Trout/Pujols playing at all. It is hard to overstate how bad the Reds are.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

hi how are you
http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/70087564/v1121017083/

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

https://twitter.com/Cut4/status/771179241396326401

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Neil Walker getting back surgery. Too many back injuries on the Mets over the years. gently caress off Ray Ramirez!!! gently caress the gently caress off already!

hog fat
Aug 31, 2016
my radical adherence to stoicism demands I be a raging islamophobic asshole. perhaps ten more days on twitter will teach me the errors of my ways
the Rangers are and have been the best team in baseball all season long, but will not win the pennant because they are the Rangers. however, they will wallop the Mariners - an unremittingly disappointment of a team - tomorrow, the day, etc. in perpetuity.

hog fat fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Sep 1, 2016

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
MLB.tv is giving away the rest of the season to college students - look for the ad on mlb.com and verify your enrollment to get access.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1XKs7jXxVs

Have a fake highlight.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the royals just made a roster move involving Wang, Colon, and Brooks Pounders

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

And then the Blue Jays got beat by a Royals team virtually everyone agreed was less talented. Nobody knows what will happen. All you need is a ticket to the dance

Unless you're the Cubs in which case you may as well just work the coat check.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe
Mysterious crop circle appears at New Brunswick farm. Was it... ALIENS?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38WWOKBDkwY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788718

• Locked thread