Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Dodgers get Josh Fields for a minor league 1B I've never heard of.

A reliever with an 11.5 K/9 and 1.7 BB/9? Yeah, I'm down with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

DeepDickPizza posted:

Uhhhh...they got Rich Hill.

One pitch Rich!!

Can he get hitters out with anything other than his sicknasty curve, or is he still just coasting on that?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Boring deadline for the Astros. Traded former highest-paid player for some prospect, both RHP. Ah, well.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Inspector_666 posted:

Hey San Francisco, you see the Yankees since 2010? Welcome to your future.

It's never been quite that bad because we limit ourselves to one horrible contract at a time. Like you never would have thought the Cain contract was going to be that bad until after Zito had left.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
If it's really Drew Hutchison, man. I owe Shapiro an apology. At first I hated him but now he's slain all my most hated blue jays, and taught me to love JA fuckin Happ. What a world.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Retail Slave posted:

One pitch Rich!!

Can he get hitters out with anything other than his sicknasty curve, or is he still just coasting on that?

His 4-seamer has almost as much horizontal movement as Sale's and last I checked he had just about the highest 4-seam whiff percentage in baseball.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
Am I wrong or do two of the three pitchers the Jays got don't seem to be very good? I guess anyone can turn it around but it's hardly confidence inducing.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

They suck completely. But Liriano has at least been Good Before whereas Drew Hutchison and Jesse Chavez were the pitching equivalents of Pol Pot and Anders Breivik, respectively.

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
If I'm posting a new thread, it means there is a thread already posted and I failed at using the forum search correctly
I wish the Braves would have traded Teheran to a team that was panicking. :(

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

bawfuls posted:

Coincident with this move Ryu was placed on the 60 day DL so I think it's time to assume his season is over

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Ryu status: officially ded

https://twitter.com/kengurnick/status/760219061590499328

efb

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Dingleberry Jones posted:

I wish the Braves would have traded Teheran to a team that was panicking. :(

We'll give you Cahill and Coglan for him.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think this is the first deadline in like a decade where the Tigers didn't trade for anyone.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Can any Astros fans help me understand why Josh Fields has been in AAA since mid May? He appears to strike out a lot of dudes and not walk very many, and he's 30 so......?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Hell yes the Yankees called up Gamel to fill Beltran's roster spot.

:allears:

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
So why was the deadline moved 24 hours this year?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Retail Slave posted:

So why was the deadline moved 24 hours this year?

So that it wouldn't gently caress with games going on yesterday I think was the explanation.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Hand Row posted:

I know it is just pretend but it is fun to see the Brewers go from a bottom system to a top 5 over a year or so. I can't even make a top 10 list anymore. Adding Ortiz and Bickford to go along with Hader as your top pitching prospects is pretty nice.

I'm kind of terrified of putting Luis Ortiz in Milwaukee though considering every scouting report is obligated to include the "as long as he doesn't get even fatter" caveat

He's a cool prospect and good kid though, please be nice to him. Same for Sweet Lew

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Spencer Patton back up for the Cubs to fill Matusz's spot. Probably not going to last long though, given Smith is on the way and Grimm is eligible to rejoin in a little over a week.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
This has been a very strange deadline for Pirates fans.

I guess we really are punting on this season. Seems fair considering McCutchen is a very, very mortal man this season. That window is a-closin', though, even with Marte and Polanco having great years and tons of team control.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Inspector_666 posted:

loving finally

Sir Simon Milligan
Mar 27, 2003

Yes, I have walked along the path of evil many times, it's a twisting curving path, that actually leads to a charming block garden, but beyond that evil!

As a Yankee fan this was an awesome deadline, I love Cashman. Super quick question, I dont know the Indians farm system all that well, was the Miller trade pretty good overall? Havent had a chance to check reactions yet.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

I'm kind of terrified of putting Luis Ortiz in Milwaukee though considering every scouting report is obligated to include the "as long as he doesn't get even fatter" caveat

On the other hand, CC...

Also the potential for more Bartolos to be out there is a risk worth taking!

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
Ray Searage is gonna make Hutch so good

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Hand Row posted:

I know it is just pretend but it is fun to see the Brewers go from a bottom system to a top 5 over a year or so. I can't even make a top 10 list anymore. Adding Ortiz and Bickford to go along with Hader as your top pitching prospects is pretty nice.

Don't they have a Theo-esque GM who is kind of following the Cubs footsteps in building their farm?

The Brewers are going to be loving scary in a few years.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

ALFbrot posted:

This has been a very strange deadline for Pirates fans.

I guess we really are punting on this season. Seems fair considering McCutchen is a very, very mortal man this season. That window is a-closin', though, even with Marte and Polanco having great years and tons of team control.

Hutchison might very well be better than Liriano, especially once Searage does his magic.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Inspector_666 posted:

Wasn't that dude supposed to be a 40-hr guy when he was in the Brewers system?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Retail Slave posted:

Wasn't that dude supposed to be a 40-hr guy when he was in the Brewers system?

That was Ben's brother, Mat.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

I am suprised at the extreme salt of Indians Twitter right now. You'd hope winning a NBA championship would chill them out but now it seems they've only developed a taste for blood

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

lol the Astros did nothing while the Rangers dramatically improved, great job everyone

At least I'll get to see Joe Musgrove pitch. We got him for JA Happ lol

bawfuls posted:

Prepare to be disappointed. There's a reason 30 year old with a 97 mph fastball and high k rate was pitching in AAA

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Retail Slave posted:

Don't they have a Theo-esque GM who is kind of following the Cubs footsteps in building their farm?

He was an assistant in the Astros front office. He's also 11 years old. We'll see how he pans out, though it's optimistic to call him Theo-esque before we even see how the Astros rebuild really panned out, much less our own.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

:fuckoff: Ricky Nolasco, no one will miss you

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Intruder posted:

lol the Astros did nothing while the Rangers dramatically improved, great job everyone

At least I'll get to see Joe Musgrove pitch. We got him for JA Happ lol

Prepare to be disappointed. There's a reason 30 year old with a 97 mph fastball and high k rate was pitching in AAA
I am trying to discover this reason. What is it exactly? Is his true talent level a .450 BABIP or something?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I've never been sure with Fields honestly. He's had periods where he looks untouchable and then he can't find the zone all of a sudden so he'll groove one and get hammered

Iirc he also pitches way up in the zone a lot

His stuff is way better than his results so maybe bad luck

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Inspector_666 posted:

That was Ben's brother, Mat.

Ah, that's the Gamel I was thinking of.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

Retail Slave posted:

Yeah Stearns is only in his early 30s. He came from the Astros. Not surprising they avoided Gallo as he seems to prefer athletic range dudes with on base skills instead of traditional sluggers. System could really use a first base prospect so should be interesting to see what type he goes after.

Also never thought I would see a Mat Gamel reference here. Made me sad to never really see him play in MLB after tearing his ACL twice.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

He was an assistant in the Astros front office. He's also 11 years old. We'll see how he pans out, though it's optimistic to call him Theo-esque before we even see how the Astros rebuild really panned out, much less our own.

Fair enough, but by Theo-esque I was mainly speaking about philosophy and not necessarily results.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

MassaShowtime posted:

Hutchison might very well be better than Liriano, especially once Searage does his magic.

I'm doubting Searage magic more and more these days. People expected it to work on Niese most recently, and that was a turd show

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

The Jays acquired a LHP.

I deem this trade deadline a Success.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

In light of recent events I hereby declare the Jays a NO DREW ZONE. No more Drews allowed. They suck.

• Locked thread